NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Without a holiday season release there's really not any reason I can see to want to smash it right out of the gate.

I think you're mixing your sports metaphors. Unless you know a sport which fuses baseball and greyhound racing...

Without a holiday season release there's really not any reason I can see to want to smash it right out of the gate.

The 3DS launched outside holiday season and they wanted to smash out of the gate. I don't think a holiday season release is a must. If the product is hot people will buy it regardless of a launch post Christmas.

Didn't she get Paper Mario and Donkey kong from retro spot on.

And there were rumours about the hyrbrid, but the week up to the EG leak she specifically said it was all going to kick off with it, and she's done a post laying ut everything the nx is, no one else has had the balls to do that. I think she deserves plaudits for putting it out there rather than getting shot down. Whether she or anyone knows anything or not, at least she's being bold enough to say it, why does that deserve hate and bitching?

Not sure about this Donkey Kong thing, but Paper Mario was accidentally leaked at a video game event by someone claiming that the company he is working for was working on a new title in the series.

But I'm not hating or bitching? I just think it's very odd to put out that something 'weird, fun and crazy' is in the works when pretty much the majority of Nintendo's IP's could be described as such? It's like me saying that the new Nintendo console has a d-pad, you'd be thinking "Well no shit".

Like I said at the very beginning, I'm just finding myself very cynical of her 'leaks' lately.

5.5 mil by March 31 2013 and 24 mil software units sold in the same period.

In 2014 they had to again slash a hardware forecast as they said 2014 sales would be 9 million and revised it to 2.8 mil.

I don't think the original 5.5 mil was that unrealistic but the software sales was a bizarre one. The wii u had no games the first six months.

The 2014 hardware figure is what I was thinking of cheers.

The 3DS launched outside holiday season and they wanted to smash out of the gate. I don't think a holiday season release is a must. If the product is hot people will buy it regardless of a launch post Christmas.

They wanted to - but how did it work for them! They had to cut it later! I don't see any problem with spending a few months being cautious on the manufacturing until you've got an idea of what demand's looking like. I wish I could know but with their forecasts and predictions I've always wondered if they over manufactured WiiUs for demand and ended up paying a price for that.

I say don't make NX too hype, don't overshoot expectations, go easy and cautious and then build from there. If you aren't releasing for a holiday/spending season then I don't see the need to push too hard for the launch. I know it seems counter-intuitive and in my mind I even still feel that, but I can't see too many downsides to it as I think about it now.

...If you aren't releasing for a holiday/spending season then I don't see the need to push too hard for the launch. I know it seems counter-intuitive and in my mind I even still feel that, but I can't see too many downsides to it as I think about it now.

The only reason I think they need to push hard is because it's Nintendo.

The general perception of Nintendo isn't the best and if their new console comes out stuttering then it won't do them any favours in winning over the mentality of their detractors. Or even those who don't particularly hold any view toward them one way or the other.

Now if they do hype it and storm out of the gates, with sales doing well, it'll at least put in the mind of people that the console is hot property and might just be a must-have purchase... but this also must go in hand with attractive marketing and price for it to come off.

Edited by Kav

They wanted to - but how did it work for them! They had to cut it later! I don't see any problem with spending a few months being cautious on the manufacturing until you've got an idea of what demand's looking like. I wish I could know but with their forecasts and predictions I've always wondered if they over manufactured WiiUs for demand and ended up paying a price for that.

I say don't make NX too hype, don't overshoot expectations, go easy and cautious and then build from there. If you aren't releasing for a holiday/spending season then I don't see the need to push too hard for the launch. I know it seems counter-intuitive and in my mind I even still feel that, but I can't see too many downsides to it as I think about it now.

The problem with this is they have shareholders and a shareprice which demands growth as well as potential third party partnership who will want to see the NX in plenty of homes.

The NX can't have a start like the 3DS or wii u did. It has to sell way more initially.

The 3DS launched outside holiday season and they wanted to smash out of the gate.

No, you've gotten confused as well...

Now if they do hype it and storm out of the gates, with sales doing well

This guy knows...

Shut up @Dr\. bob! It's just a bloody word! Is it a london thing? I wanted to say it's a london thing but I don't actually think it is. I don't know.

ANYWAY.

The problem with this is they have shareholders and a shareprice which demands growth as well as potential third party partnership who will want to see the NX in plenty of homes.

The NX can't have a start like the 3DS or wii u did. It has to sell way more initially.

Good points actually - but if it's a strategy they specifically go for to avoid risk of losing money on unsold units, surely that's something that can be sold to the board? Also as I said I'm not talking like long term years or anything, just maybe first few months. You aren't trying to capture a particular buying season so I can't see a downside to it. I'm not saying it's definitely sensible, but I just can't see the major downsides - I'm not sure if shareholder/shareprice is going to matter enough in the short-ish period I'm thinking.

The only reason I think they need to push hard is because it's Nintendo.

The general perception of Nintendo isn't the best and if their new console comes out stuttering then it won't do them any favours in winning over the mentality of their detractors. Or even those who don't particularly hold any view toward them one way or the other.

Now if they do hype it and storm out of the gates, with sales doing well, it'll at least put in the mind of people that the console is hot property and might just be a must-have purchase... but this also must go in hand with attractive marketing and price for it to come off.

Oh yeah, I don't disagree they need to push hard at some point. I'm just saying a cautious launch could save them some monies on avoiding over-manufacture of stock from the get go. Significantly overshooting incurs higher costs both for the manufacture(components/tech/price falling over time) and having stale stock about. I still think it's a mistake probably made with the WiiU(though I have no way of knowing) and if it is one maybe it's something they've considered and want to try and approach differently this time?

I'm also not suggesting a stutter - I'm saying release cautiously with a view to meet higher demand if it's there. If it isn't there they risk losing money as above. If it IS there - well, they can meet it or possibly run a little short of it; how damaging will running a little short really cost them? Will someone decide not to buy an NX just because it wasn't there the one day they wanted after they've already waited all this time? Price, ofc, factors into that decision and it's one that none of us know yet. A stutter could happen regardless of their supply plans - if the demand isn't there(similar arguably to Wii U) it'll stutter regardless.

Hyping it and making the thing do well CAN come later. It doesn't have to be on launch. Showing that the console is hot property, too, can come later - and again as a portable I think it'll start doing that to an extent by itself and begin selling itself with that.

Astounding given how they've barely said two words about it.

2016-10-19_1551.png

Yeah it's impressive considering we know nothing official

I don't care who this Emily has as a source, there is no way the reveal is this week if they have not announced it yet.

Yeah it's impressive considering we know nothing official

Yeah, now they just have to live up to all the hype in the reveal...

Apparently Nintendo won't be doing their usual investor Q&A when they release their quarterly report next week. Really weird decision because for as long as i've been following those meetings they've featured a Q&A with the president. People are guessing that this means they won't be talking about the NX at all and are avoiding the Q&A so they don't have to face questions on it, but Kimishima is still doing a media briefing on Wednesday and they'll surely be asking him questions on the NX there.

With the real close. Let's say the main rumours are true and it's a hybrid. This will mean 3rd parties aint going to be happening again in the main and it'll be a nintendo box of sorts. How do people feel about this? If Nintendo really do bring their games in force do you care?

Apparently Nintendo won't be doing their usual investor Q&A when they release their quarterly report next week. Really weird decision because for as long as i've been following those meetings they've featured a Q&A with the president. People are guessing that this means they won't be talking about the NX at all and are avoiding the Q&A so they don't have to face questions on it, but Kimishima is still doing a media briefing on Wednesday and they'll surely be asking him questions on the NX there.

Not true. AFAIR, the Q2 releases seldom have briefings.

2016-10-19_1551.png

Lets be real, that line graph doesn't mean anything of importance. What it does show is curiosity and thats likely due to current Nintendo hardware being old and under utilized.

Nintendo hardware isn't going to suddenly top charts without proof of the promise of, not just consistent, but quality software. Particularly after the Wii U. Realistically, they have a lot of work to do and as of mid October there is absolutely nothing to show they are going to be about that work.

Lets be real, that line graph doesn't mean anything of importance. What it does show is curiosity and thats likely due to current Nintendo hardware being old and under utilized.

Nintendo hardware isn't going to suddenly top charts without proof of the promise of, not just consistent, but quality software. Particularly after the Wii U. Realistically, they have a lot of work to do and as of mid October there is absolutely nothing to show they are going to be about that work.

It proves people are talking about it and have been for a long time. Call it curiosity, call it buzz, call it hype. It's generating a huge amount of all three without Nintendo even saying a word, let alone revealing it.

According to Gaf, Emily has now said something may not happen this week now. Maybe plans have changed. :D I hope for her sake something does drop by the end of the week, otherwise there's gonna be a witch hunt by Gaf.

Honestly, I feel these so called insiders are doing more harm than good. All they've done is get people worked up into a frenzy and left them disappointed. Had they just kept their mouth shut then everyone would be a lot calmer.

Astounding given how they've barely said two words about it.

2016-10-19_1551.png

Everyone pretty much knew what to expect from the Pro/Scorpio, where as people have been left speculating about Nintendo's future for over a year.

That graph is about as expected and obvious as Emily Rogers comments.

I assume most people overlooked your post Cube given people are still saying the NX is impressive, lol.

It's not even called the PlayStation Pro, why are people giving the fudged data any time of day?

Edited by Sheikah

Am I missing something. At the end of August the PS4 pro saw a huge spike as wasn't that when we found out that a week or so later was the reveal.

Yeah you are. We can only assume the wow factor of Ronnie's graph was to show how much the NX is being discussed relative to the competition. Well, he put in a term that didn't even exist in the public domain (pro) until a certain point; as shown by Cube, if you put in Neo then you see a different picture.

This is also a good lesson in 'garbage in, garbage out '. As soon as you put in a proper term (PS4 Pro) instead of a term people don't really use (PlayStation Pro), you see on Cube's graph that the Pro trends above the NX since its announcement to right now. That to me goes against the idea that there is some unreal hype about the NX that everyone can't wait to hear about. Although I don't think much of this graph, it would actually suggest more people are interested in a technical upgrade than the NX...which I'm sure is not the point he was trying to make. :heh: