NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Improved power will help the NX succeed - in the sense that it may present an ease for third parties to port to.

No extra time and money spent on finding out how to downgrade (or apply motion controls or to place on mini discs or cartridges) a port for a Nintendo system, which may possibly present little to no return, due to the fact that the product is inferior.

Keeping fairly uniform with 2/3 of your competitors is a good thing if you want a similar share of games.

This is a key thing and one that REALLY needs to happen.

If they want 3rd party support then they need to make it inline with what the competition offer. It has to be as easy as possible for 3rd parties to port their games over, with minimal effort. If they are blind to this fact then they are just going to be in the EXACT same situation as they find themselves in now.

Honestly, I think they are in a very tight spot now. If they do launch next year or even 2017 it's going to have to be something very special to pull gamers away from eco systems that they are already a part of. It's easier to do this at the start of a generation but trying to pull it off mid generation is a bit nuts.

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/06/29/rumour-diddy-kong-racing-2-is-apparently-being-developed-for-the-nx

Kevin Callahan, the guy behind the original Diddy Kong Racing 2 rumour, is at it again and says that the sequel is now in development for the NX.

Callahan says Nintendo is aiming at launching the NX for $149.99. The reason for the cheap price point is that Nintendo doesn’t want to compete against the Xbox One and PlayStation 4. Callahan points to the fact that Nintendo has trademarked the word Diddy Kong and that Retro Studios haven’t revealed a new Wii U game as evidence that the game is coming. At this point in time this news is nothing but a big fat juicy rumour.

The Diddy Kong Racing 2 project was moved over to new hardware that will be launched in 2016. The new platform is aiming for a price of $149.99 to avoid competing directly (price wise) with PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. The company fears that it would be market suicide to release another overly expensive box in the middle of a console generation, when most consumers have already invested in a PlayStation 4 or Xbox One. Wii U development kits are being used to develop NX software; the NX hardware is technically a Wii U except with higher memory bandwidth and a more balanced CPU.

I would dig this as a handheld but cant see it. A Wii U similar powered handheld would kill battery life.

As for a $149.99 console similar to the Wii U, no thanks.

Edited by liger05

Honestly, I think they are in a very tight spot now. If they do launch next year or even 2017 it's going to have to be something very special to pull gamers away from eco systems that they are already a part of. It's easier to do this at the start of a generation but trying to pull it off mid generation is a bit nuts.

That's why I don't think they'll bother. I think NX will be very cheap and the ability to play the same game between handheld and home console will be the selling point. Third parties will port their games across if it sells regardless of the amount of power it has, just as they did with the Wii.

That sounds like a very smart move. £100 Nintendo console with their great library of games? It'll sell like crazy! It would be utterly stupid for them to try and release a PS4 style console mid generation. Releasing super cheap is a great idea.

Edited by Ronnie
Automerged Doublepost

That's why I don't think they'll bother. I think NX will be very cheap and the ability to play the same game between handheld and home console will be the selling point. Third parties will port their games across if it sells regardless of the amount of power it has, just as they did with the Wii.

Why will they?

Publishers have stopped with the 360/PS3 ports. A console that lacks power wont be receiving the same games that are on XB1/PS4. You would just get a seriously inferior game

£100 Nintendo console with their great library of games? It'll sell like crazy! It would be utterly stupid for them to try and release a PS4 style console mid generation. Releasing super cheap is a great idea.

The GC says hello. That was dirt cheap and nobody bought it. A low price alone isn't what drives demand.

For the most part, the Wii got very shoddy ports. No proper Resident Evil game, Dead Rising was a mess, no proper Dead Space game. It missed out on a hell of a lot of stuff.

A low price point alone certainly isn't what drives demand, but you have to think Nintendo have more than that to make the NX appealing. A crazy good launch line up, being able to play the same games on the go, cross play, cloud storage (DeNA probably helping with this).

I said this a while back , but I think they should make NX their greatest hits console. Fully backwards compatible, fill up VC with their back catalogue and launch it preloaded with a couple of their biggest games from each console.

NES - SMB3 + Mega Man

SNES - SF2 + Zelda

N64 - Mario 64 + Diddy Kong Racing

Gamecube - F-Zero + Wave Race

Wii - Mario Galaxy 2 + Smash Bros

WiiU - ZombiU + Nintendo Land

If they could build an OS that could emulate all the old games without the need for updating each game and fill up the VC like the istore they would sell hundreds of millions of units of software. I'd buy at least 20 games from each console.

Yay it's batshit crazy bullshit rumour time again :D

What's so crazy about it? Seems a very plausible set of rumours to me. Way more than Nintendo suddenly going ultra powerful and expensive.

Edited by Ronnie

Wii U development kits are being used to develop NX software; the NX hardware is technically a Wii U except with higher memory bandwidth and a more balanced CPU.

Hmm, it does sound plausible - a Wii U with more RAM, faster CPU and a different (hopefully traditional) controller. Still wouldn't get multiplatform games, but I think they accept that.

The only consideration is that the 3DS needs replacing even more than the Wii U (from a technical point of view), so surely a handheld has to come before a console, or at least the same time? I can't see a handheld being able to outperform Wii U anytime soon, so this backs up the idea of there being two machines.

Handheld - Less powerful than Wii U, games run at 480p or 720p

Console - Slightly more powerful than Wii U, games run at 1080p

At this point, I really can see the Console NX being just an upscaling machine. Still, we'll probably get to play the next Zelda in 1080p.

There needs to be a pretty big gap between the new handheld (the 3DS, unlike the Wii U does desperately need replacing) and the new console. Releasing them both at the same time certainly isn't ideal from a sales POV.

Hmm, it does sound plausible - a Wii U with more RAM, faster CPU and a different (hopefully traditional) controller. Still wouldn't get multiplatform games, but I think they accept that.

The only consideration is that the 3DS needs replacing even more than the Wii U (from a technical point of view), so surely a handheld has to come before a console, or at least the same time? I can't see a handheld being able to outperform Wii U anytime soon, so this backs up the idea of there being two machines.

Handheld - Less powerful than Wii U, games run at 480p or 720p

Console - Slightly more powerful than Wii U, games run at 1080p

At this point, I really can see the Console NX being just an upscaling machine. Still, we'll probably get to play the next Zelda in 1080p.

If that ends up being the next Nintendo console then that's me out. A handheld yes but I don't want another Wii U console.

A Wi U without the gamepad just sounds like a console Nintendo should of released in 2012.

Edited by liger05

I genuinely don't know what Nintendo should do with the NX. I actually can't see what path they take in order to significantly increase thier market share and be able to give the 'gamers' what they want and attract third parties ::shrug:

I'm not seeing a way in which they can position themselves in order to get people to move from PlayStation or XBOX to NX, regardless of how powerful they make it. If they aim for making it a second console for those people, not that they would admit it, how would they go about it? Would they just reskin the Wii U in a similar way to how the Wii was basically a repackaged Gamecube?

The Wii U could probably already fill that 'second console' space with a price cut or by releasing a slight revision to the hardware at a lower price point, so I'm not convinced they will take that direction with NX.

I simply don't see what path they're supposed to take in order to both be successful and cater to us. What makes me curious is the point I read a few pages back about Nintendo not wanting to reveal too much at this stage as people will steal their ideas. That sort of statement leads towards another, what some of you would call, 'gimmick. I don't personally have a problem with that as long as the price is right and the games I want are there, but I'm sure many others would be frustrated. At the same time, it almost seems as if they need to have that distingishing feature in order to be noticed or grab imaginations.

It's going to be so interesting to see where they go from here.. and I find it kinda exciting :grin: Ultimately, Nintendo will probably go in a direction that none of us could even contemplate.. and that may not necessarily be a good thing :heh:

I don't see how an upgraded Wii U would see a positive reaction from third parties. No chance.

What's so crazy about it? Seems a very plausible set of rumours to me. Way more than Nintendo suddenly going ultra powerful and expensive.

The fact it exists for one :p

I don't see how an upgraded Wii U would see a positive reaction from third parties. No chance.

It wouldn't. They need games like FIFA, COD's and all the various AAA titles to help give it the lifeblood to thrive. Nintendo on their own can't work. They've already proven that.

Was the rumour about what Retro Studios are working on not posted? Or what the NX may be? I thought it was. Maybe I was reading it elsewhere. I'll post it in a second.(Nevermind, I see it now.)

If that rumour were true for their next console, it would be disastrous and wouldn't make sense.

Edited by Wii

Posting from my phone, the silly rumor was more memory bandwidth does not mean more RAM. The amount of RAM is independent from the bandwidth. The type and the bus width are what make the bandwidth. E.G. 1Gb GDDR3 with a 512bit bus is slower than 1Gb GDDR5 with 256bit bus.

How does having FIFA, COD and all the other AAAs on Wii U suddenly sell another ten or twenty million units? It wouldn't. Hardcore gamers that don't have an affinity towards Nintendo have moved on. People are missing the point.

I like the specs if it is a handheld. If it is a console then definitely count me out.

It would be financial suicide to release a powerful console mid-generation. Ask yourselves, who would buy it?? Not the PS4/XBO hardcore gamers, they already have their established super powerful consoles that play all the latest AAAs and certainly aren't going to fork out money for an identical machine that also plays Nintendo games. The casual market won't touch it, too hardcore and expensive for them. Nintendo fans might do but would probably be pissed off having to spend another £300 on a box a few years after the last one. So you're basically left with a very small market share.

It makes no sense.

Conversely, releasing a £99 box that Nintendo (having now figured out HD development) can put all their top quality games on, together with the rumoured cross-play with a new handheld... that's a way more attractive mid generation plan. It would appeal to casuals, Nintendo fans AND hardcore gamers looking to play Ninty games on the cheap. Traditional controller, slightly better than Wii U graphics (which the games have proved, is more than good enough), backwards compatibility and cross-play. Personally I think that sounds great.

People wanting an ultra powerful Nintendo console just because they think AAA ports will save Nintendo's fortunes need to be realistic and open their eyes. It just won't happen and wouldn't work like that. Gaming has moved on and what makes a Nintendo box special are the Nintendo games.

It would be financial suicide to release a powerful console mid-generation. Ask yourselves, who would buy it?? Not the PS4/XBO hardcore gamers, they already have their established super powerful consoles that play all the latest AAAs and certainly aren't going to fork out money for an identical machine that also plays Nintendo games. The casual market won't touch it, too hardcore and expensive for them. Nintendo fans might do but would probably be pissed off having to spend another £300 on a box a few years after the last one. So you're basically left with a very small market share.

It makes no sense.

Conversely, releasing a £99 box that Nintendo (having now figured out HD development) can put all their top quality games on, together with the rumoured cross-play with a new handheld... that's a way more attractive mid generation plan. It would appeal to casuals, Nintendo fans AND hardcore gamers looking to play Ninty games on the cheap. Traditional controller, slightly better than Wii U graphics (which the games have proved, is more than good enough), backwards compatibility and cross-play. Personally I think that sounds great.

People wanting an ultra powerful Nintendo console just because they think AAA ports will save Nintendo's fortunes need to be realistic and open their eyes. It just won't happen and wouldn't work like that. Gaming has moved on and what makes a Nintendo box special are the Nintendo games.

I am a Nintendo fan and it would not appeal to me.. I don't want another low spec console.

Might as well stick with my Wii U.

I am a Nintendo fan and it would not appeal to me.. I don't want another low spec console.

Might as well stick with my Wii U.

I agree. I don't want a weak Nintendo console for the 3rd time in a row either. Create another weak console just for the benefit of cross platform play? It would be a massive failure.

It makes no sense.

release a handheld and wait for the console. Some low spec console which only plays Nintendo games which will barely look any different to what we see on the Wii U. I don't see the appeal.

Rather that release a powerful handheld which has an HDMI port to connect to a TV.

I agree. I don't want a weak Nintendo console for the 3rd time in a row either. Create another weak console just for the benefit of cross platform play? It would be a massive failure.

Again, who would buy an ultra powerful Nintendo console mid generation? It would probably sell even less than the Wii U. THAT would be a massive failure.

It's pretty sad that people prioritise power over gameplay, I suppose that's why the other consoles are more popular these days.