NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

I'm willing to do the work, I was just asking by what categorisation it was determined for exactly that reason :p Not that I'm saying wikipedia is necessarily as credible - but I'd prefer to take a classification of the genres(not saying it wasn't, I in fact asked for the basis) from an outside source, given the context of the discussion :p I can hardly disagree with any of it, if I know what none of it applies to!

Oh yeah I wasn't suggesting it was perfect as pages are edited by different people, but at least it's a bit more consistent and a bit more quantifiable than "well I think this game is a 2D hero-based tonally-blue postmodern homage to the platform genre of the late 80s but not the early 00s".

Which makes me think the NX is a great plan for Nintendo. Nintendo are the only handheld manufacturer (Sony have pretty much left that space now, right?) so there is no competition there. get their 40 million or so Handheld customers.. how many of those don't own a Wii U? assuming next to none... that's still 40 million customers they are focusing on. Drum up a bit of 3rd party support and build up from there. If they manage to turn things around, grow the fan base and compete in terms of their user base with Sony and Microsoft, maybe up their console power to approach those two and begin to compete with them.

Looking at the Wii U it was perhaps a step towards that - as I understand it the gap between Wii U and X1 is less than the Wii and PS3/X360... NX won't bridge that gap, but if it lessens it a small amount while bringing portability... I am interested in any case. Can't be too many days till we find out more info now!

Yeah Sony has quietly dropped the Vita it seems, no mention of it in ages. But even so, there's still support from it so if Nintendo do produce a great product it bodes well. They need to make it easy for smaller developers to release on there and it will really help get a good range of stuff on there, even if its not all in retail.

Man! Sony's (PS4.5 unveil) and Apple's (iPhone 7) unveiling events are due to happen on the same day!? (September 7th)

Nintendo's getting bodied from both sides here! They've only got 10 days from then until TGS to announce the thing! Building up hype during that period is gonna be a tough call...

May as well just do it on September 7th too, make it a day with just an overload of information.

I'm definitely getting really antsy for NX information now. Fingers still crossed for something from Gamescom this week, but i'm not expecting anything.

The leaks are interesting, but that video is bad. Mr confirmation bias - the rumors that don't align with what I think I'm not going to believe, the ones that do I'm using as evidence as to why I think what I do.... Then saying in some ways Wii u online is worse than Xbox because *some* games in Xbox have invites and online and *some* on Wii u don't... Pretty stupid argument, and unseeded when no one would say Wii u is any good.

I don't know about you, but I'll only call a youtubers video bad if I can do better. But his right, you like frank "un-PC" talk so I'll just call it and say the Wii U online experience in comparison to every other products online systems in the modern day is absolute gutter trash - no two ways about it.

They NEED to improve it - if it still needs friend codes this and sign up to social media to get friends that (Miitomo) - then it will only dissuade a lot of people. Emotional attachments to a company shouldn't stop people from being able to criticise it when it's doing stuff wrong.

I don't know about you, but I'll only call a youtubers video bad if I can do better. But his right, you like frank "un-PC" talk so I'll just call it and say the Wii U online experience in comparison to every other products online systems in the modern day is absolute gutter trash - no two ways about it.

They NEED to improve it - if it still needs friend codes this and sign up to social media to get friends that (Miitomo) - then it will only dissuade a lot of people. Emotional attachments to a company shouldn't stop people from being able to criticise it when it's doing stuff wrong.

Besides the games, their online setup and features are what i'm most curious about. I'm honestly not fussed about what crazy hook they are cooking up and i'm more interested if the online will be up to modern standards.

I wanna see things like party chat, on screen notifications, access to the home menu while playing online and a decent messaging system all sorted. What I don't want is a lack of these features or even these features being implemented on a game by game basis. This stuff should all be a standard feature for the console itself.

Besides the games, their online setup and features are what i'm most curious about. I'm honestly not fussed about what crazy hook they are cooking up and i'm more interested if the online will be up to modern standards.

I wanna see things like party chat, on screen notifications, access to the home menu while playing online and a decent messaging system all sorted. What I don't want is a lack of these features or even these features being implemented on a game by game basis. This stuff should all be a standard feature for the console itself.

Perfectly summed up. It HAS to have this all as part of the OS for me.

Oh, I don't dispute that in the slightest, it isn't close to good enough for the industry, it is pretty awful, I guess my issue with what he was saying was that he didn't need to make that awful comparison, it almost weakened what he was saying rather than support it.

As for how to improve, it is really easy to improve what they have but maybe the biggest balance is providing a free online but still having the features... I'm sure many of us would pay for a system as good as the competition, but maybe many wouldn't, particularly families/children, and maybe not even smartphone gamers if they are trying to prise them away.

...As for how to improve, it is really easy to improve what they have but maybe the biggest balance is providing a free online but still having the features... I'm sure many of us would pay for a system as good as the competition, but maybe many wouldn't, particularly families/children, and maybe not even smartphone gamers if they are trying to prise them away.

That's why they should include the Virtual Console within the subscription.

Nintendo have such a good back catalogue to create the perfect incentive for an online subscription, they really should use it.

Edited by Happenstance

Why don't they have a premium service with those features, bundle it in for one year with the console, after that a small subscription...

The problem with such a service is that I imagine that the majority of Nintendo fans already have the games that they would offer. They are already running into this problem with the My Nintendo rewards. Many are complaining, myself included, that the offers they do are for games we already own. The only way to sort this out would be if they add GameCube or some other consoles that have never been on the service before.

Watch them do a subscription service but at the cost of not being able to carry your purchased VC games over from the other platforms.

In regards to the free online setup, while I see it is a nice gesture, I would much prefer to pay a yearly fee and have a much more robust experience. Also, from a business standpoint, charging for online seems like a really no brainer at this point. Just look at how much Microsoft and Sony are making off of subscriptions. Nintendo are leaving money on the table.

I guess the problem with this is just how many games would support online modes, especially if its just Nintendo supporting the console. Despite having some games that would be great with online play ( Star Fox, Mario Party etc. ) they refuse to embrace it, so charging for online for only a handful of titles would be a bit of a ripoff.

The problem with such a service is that I imagine that the majority of Nintendo fans already have the games that they would offer. They are already running into this problem with the My Nintendo rewards. Many are complaining, myself included, that the offers they do are for games we already own. The only way to sort this out would be if they add GameCube or some other consoles that have never been on the service before.

Watch them do a subscription service but at the cost of not being able to carry your purchased VC games over from the other platforms.

In regards to the free online setup, while I see it is a nice gesture, I would much prefer to pay a yearly fee and have a much more robust experience. Also, from a business standpoint, charging for online seems like a really no brainer at this point. Just look at how much Microsoft and Sony are making off of subscriptions. Nintendo are leaving money on the table.

I guess the problem with this is just how many games would support online modes, especially if its just Nintendo supporting the console. Despite having some games that would be great with online play ( Star Fox, Mario Party etc. ) they refuse to embrace it, so charging for online for only a handful of titles would be a bit of a ripoff.

Good points here, really good points!

IF I did get an NX I would happily pay an online subscription for a decent service like H-o-T says. I don't mind PS+(nor did I Gold, even before Games with Gold) and the added bonus/incentive is given by the fact you can get free games each month. Sure, it might be copying the competition, but Nintendo should jump on that model as well. Offer up certain titles to give them exposure, maybe even offer up a certain aspect of a certain number of system titles a month. I.E you can opt to get 3x NES games, 2x SNES games or 1x N64 game per month in addition to their 'free' offerings. So to counter the point made by H-o-T re: games you've already got it almost gives you an opportunity to check out back catalogue titles you wouldn't have neccessarily bought otherwise.

Yes, you'll be getting it for your sub fee which is less than buying the games themselves, but that's the point - these are sales they probably wouldn't make otherwise but it'd give a good incentive to get so many folks up on your online subs service - and it's appealing slightly different to the competition in that it's offering you some more control over your choices.

That's why they should include the Virtual Console within the subscription.

What about us who have spent shit loads of money on VC games...? Though it is the most logical use of it as a gold for games/plus competitor.

I think will offer free online whatever, but that could be fine. Free online. Then an optional paid subscription with loads of extra features like party chat and free games. Makes sense. Caters to both!

What about us who have spent shit loads of money on VC games...? Though it is the most logical use of it as a gold for games/plus competitor.

I think will offer free online whatever, but that could be fine. Free online. Then an optional paid subscription with loads of extra features like party chat and free games. Makes sense. Caters to both!

They could look at what people have spent and give money off the subscription for however long.

More patents have shown up today highlighting detachable controllers. Doesn't really show much other than prove some parts of the Eurogamer rumours. People on GAF predictably over reacting and thinking that the images show what the NX controller will look like, when will people learn that patents are just proof of concept rather than actual designs?

fig8coszl.png

More patents have shown up today highlighting detachable controllers. Doesn't really show much other than prove some parts of the Eurogamer rumours. People on GAF predictably over reacting and thinking that the images show what the NX controller will look like, when will people learn that patents are just proof of concept rather than actual designs?

fig8coszl.png

Yikes really not feeling that.

Hopefully the new system will incorporate cross purchasing so any VC digital downloads on Wii U & 3DS will be available on NX. Going forward they still have 1,000's of back catalogue games so it should be quite easy to offer a couple of games a month as part of a subscription. Personally I hope they don't go down this route, Nintendo will succeed by being different and a free online system is a big plus point they have other Sony and Microsoft.

How about that FIFA rematch soon?

It will be interesting to see if free online is a big plus point for Nintendo. Doesn't seem to be a huge selling point with the Wii U so I suspect not.

I would happily pay for a Nintendo Subscription, especially with the untapped potential with Gamecube Games.

Hopefully the new system will incorporate cross purchasing so any VC digital downloads on Wii U & 3DS will be available on NX. Going forward they still have 1,000's of back catalogue games so it should be quite easy to offer a couple of games a month as part of a subscription. Personally I hope they don't go down this route, Nintendo will succeed by being different and a free online system is a big plus point they have other Sony and Microsoft.

Not really. I think it was Serebii who posted a list a while back of what games Nintendo can and have released on the VC. They are running out of games that they can release as part of the program, at least in terms of the NES and SNES.

If they add GameCube and up their Wii games support then that will certainly help and give them a wider range of games. Same goes for DS games, although they don't play well at all on something like the Wii U.

A big problem for the VC is that, like the main console, the 3rd party support isn't there. Sure, Capcom and Konami put out a few cheeky titles here and there but the abandonment of Sega has really hurt this generation. No Master System, Mega Drive, nothing. You also have S-E sitting on their hands, despite releasing a bunch of games in Japan.

Another thing is that a lot of games are tied up with licensing issues. A lot of my favourite NES/SNES games will never see the light of day on the VC due to this.

Not really. I think it was Serebii who posted a list a while back of what games Nintendo can and have released on the VC. They are running out of games that they can release as part of the program, at least in terms of the NES and SNES.

If they add GameCube and up their Wii games support then that will certainly help and give them a wider range of games. Same goes for DS games, although they don't play well at all on something like the Wii U.

A big problem for the VC is that, like the main console, the 3rd party support isn't there. Sure, Capcom and Konami put out a few cheeky titles here and there but the abandonment of Sega has really hurt this generation. No Master System, Mega Drive, nothing. You also have S-E sitting on their hands, despite releasing a bunch of games in Japan.

Another thing is that a lot of games are tied up with licensing issues. A lot of my favourite NES/SNES games will never see the light of day on the VC due to this.

Vital they get Sega back on board. Get mega drive and Saturn titles. More n64 titles, throw in the GC as well.

I think free online would be a silly, if on the surface nice, idea. A paid online allows them to guarantee an income directly related to the service - then the money can be earmarked and budgeted for in line with that. It's a short-term appeal but I think long-term it's best to secure something to put into the service, lest they run into any problems down the line. Paying a small monthly isn't all that bad these days either - people do it for lots of things now and it's more of a norm.

How about that FIFA rematch soon?

Thought you were running scared after the demolition job last time :)

It will be interesting to see if free online is a big plus point for Nintendo. Doesn't seem to be a huge selling point with the Wii U so I suspect not.

You can't use that as an argument against it. if it was paid for it wouldn't sell the system either. It had no bearing either way. What I will say is that all the millions of people playing Splatoon, kart and smash wouldn't have all signed up to pay, so not as many people would be playing online and it;'d be another huge negative for the Wii U.

I think free online would be a silly, if on the surface nice, idea. A paid online allows them to guarantee an income directly related to the service - then the money can be earmarked and budgeted for in line with that. It's a short-term appeal but I think long-term it's best to secure something to put into the service, lest they run into any problems down the line. Paying a small monthly isn't all that bad these days either - people do it for lots of things now and it's more of a norm.

It really wouldn't be silly at all. There are a lot of people who wouldn't want to pay a monthly subscription to play online. Hardcore gamers would, but would families or children, or mobile gamers who may move over? These are the people Nintendo will seek to target. Having a paid for system may just cripple the online even more.

Giving a choice is the most sensible way to give everyone what they want. But I think a simplified free system is all they will offer. Out of that and a paid system it's the one that make sense the most sense for Nintendo.

Though free and improved services would be even better.

Personally I detest paying for online on the ps4, the free games every month are 99% awful, and I don't feel online should I be paid for.