NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

I read "software output" as "storage output" (which isn't a thing but its early) and I wonder what kind of hard drive we're getting this time.

But yes, no more droughts would be nice. And has been discussed, hopefully we'll have third parties propping up releases too!

I really hope this is true. No more ridiculous droughts.

All of that sounds great. If the drought situation has finally been sorted then that's certainly one step towards me being excited for the console. The releases for the Wii U were far too spread out and were certainly lacking post launch. If this issue has been addressed and we get a constant stream of games then i'll be a happy chappy.

I think the problem with the new Playstation, Sheikah is...not that they fear games won't reach BOTH, but more a "it works great on the new one and we spent more time on that one...who gives a shit how subpar the other version is just as long as it works." Look at the flack Hyrule Warriors Legends got...and this from a company who forces those in second party to their games massive amounts of pollishing.

3DS and Wii U are very different systems though, and the 3DS version was made quite a bit later (ie. it was a 'let's see if the shoe fits' situation). They also struggled with Xenoblade, which required a whole new handheld revision just to pull it off (and that was just a Wii game). I would say the PS4/PS4K similarities are much closer to 3DS/N3DS in terms of hardware and architecture, except this goes one further.

I think they would be mad to focus their efforts on the niche system that less people own in this case rather than the other way around. To me, that also makes sense from a development perspective - let's say they design a level in a game with a hoarde of NPCs in an area with the PS4K in mind. If they then test it on the regular PS4, the frame rate might be all over the place. It just seems like given the level of effort, gameplay design (and resultant FPS) will center around the weaker of the two systems.

As they are saying there will be no gameplay differences, it sounds like one will just have a resolution/framerate buff at most.

Edited by Sheikah

I thought the idea behind Wii U and the gamepad was pure genius. Unfortunately, the portability aspect did not work (I can't take mine out of the room), if NX is as suggested a similar device that will work anywhere and Nintendo have resolved the 3rd party issue, then all the boxes are ticked for me.

I think the problem with the new Playstation, Sheikah is...not that they fear games won't reach BOTH, but more a "it works great on the new one and we spent more time on that one...who gives a shit how subpar the other version is just as long as it works." Look at the flack Hyrule Warriors Legends got...and this from a company who forces those in second party to their games massive amounts of pollishing.

Exactly!

I think the issue with this is that developers have already had problems with stuttering frame rates on the PS4 and have given numerous excuses - including the laughable - "it's more cinematic" that way tripe.

The problem is, developers who want to realise their vision will get a game running closer to 60fps on the PS4K and then leave the PS4 version stuttering along.

What you will end up with is a version on the PS4K that might not have any new features, modes or bonuses - but a game that fundamentally plays better due to smoother gameplay and better stability. I know that I would rather play a game with a higher framerate - and so would most gamers.

So ultimately, PS4 owners will have to ask themselves if they want to play games at their optimal frame rate - and if they do, it's time to buy a new console!

^^^ Good video about the bullshit on low frame rates and the shitty 'cinematic' excuse.

^^^ Another good video about the bullshit Ubisoft peddle on the frame rate and resolution.

Can we please post any PS4k banter in the PS4 thread (better yet, create a PS4K thread). It's getting ridiculous in here now.

All of that sounds great. If the drought situation has finally been sorted then that's certainly one step towards me being excited for the console. The releases for the Wii U were far too spread out and were certainly lacking post launch. If this issue has been addressed and we get a constant stream of games then i'll be a happy chappy.

Yep. It being one OS implied that too; I've said numerous times we should be able to realistically expect the quantity of games nintendo make for both handheld and home console on the one device; which would be unbelievable, also open up gaps for new games as they wouldn't need to make 2 mario kart, 2 smash's, 2 animal crossings, 2 mario platformers, 2 zeldas etc etc

Can we please post any PS4k banter in the PS4 thread (better yet, create a PS4K thread). It's getting ridiculous in here now.

I think you're overlooking the point that the fate of the NX and the PS4K could well be intertwined.

The problem Nintendo have faced with both the Wii U and the Wii is that with their consoles being less powerful, they often suffer from a lack of direct ports and third party support. This was less so in the Wii days, as due to Wii sales being massive, the Wii had a lot of third party games and big hitters like COD and FIFA were always present - as well as good exclusives like Dead Space, Red Steel 2, Zack and Wiki etc.

My feelings on the PS4K is that the PS4 already out performed the XBO and the PS4K is only going to increase that gulf, where that leaves the XBO is anyone's guess.

Now the NX, if it is on par with the XBO or PS4 will end up again being underpowered compared to the PS4K and potentially even if it does hold the same library of games, those games will be optimised to run on PS4K and Nintendo could end up with another crop of lesser ports for third party efforts.

When these discussions take place, they often move off in other directions, I don't think discussion can be wholly separated because the the direction other consoles take heavily affects what we will see being released on the NX.

I don't think there was anything wrong with first party releases on Wii U, it's just there were no big third party releases to plug the gaps. 2014 for instance had Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and Captain Toad, not sure you can really ask for much more first party games in one year than that.

God this is getting boring between the lot of you.

With regards to the news about the NX software output, I hope it doesn't come at the expense of quality. Whilst we'll always see a range of top tier games from Nintendo, I hope padding the year out with titles like Mario Tennis, Amiibo Festival etc. Isn't the solution.

Very exciting though! I'm more than ready for Zelda and NX. Nintendo back in my life is long overdue.

EDIT: Having said that, I've just been reminded by Ronnie's post that a lot of the output on Wii U just didn't appeal to me. Which Nintendo we get with NX and the style of games they choose to release will have a big influence on me. If it's a continuation of the last 3 years I won't know what to do. Hopefully other studios like Retro and other partnerships will be more at the forefront.

Edited by Retro_Link

I think you're overlooking the point that the fate of the NX and the PS4K could well be intertwined.

Not at all. I'm well aware of the situation and what it could mean for the NX, both good and bad.

I'd rather any other console be discussed elsewhere as all it leads to is childish arguments and personal insults, as seen on the previous page. If people can talk sensibly about the situation then great but we've seen that isn't the case on these boards.

All i'm trying to do is keep the peace and move the conversation on to something more positive.

God this is getting boring between the lot of you.

With regards to the news about the NX software output, I hope it doesn't come at the expense of quality. Whilst we'll also see a range of top tier games from Nintendo, I hope padding the year out with titles like Mario Tennis, Amiibo Festival etc. Isn't the solution.

Very exciting though! I'm more than ready for Zelda and NX. Nintendo back in my life is long overdue.

EDIT: Having said that, I've just been reminded by Ronnie's post that a lot of the output on Wii U just didn't appeal to me. Which Nintendo we get with NX and the style of games they choose to release will have a big influence on me. If it's a continuation of the last 3 years I won't know what to do. Hopefully other studios like Retro and other partnerships will be more at the forefront.

Agreed.

No "restructuring" in the world is going to enable Nintendo to output more games of the quality that's expected nowadays. Nintendo need to buy out studios, create new studios and generally employ more manpower.

Yet again, launch will be key. If there are no games worth buying a whole new console for, the NX will be stillborn.

Agreed.

No "restructuring" in the world is going to enable Nintendo to output more games of the quality that's expected nowadays. Nintendo need to buy out studios, create new studios and generally employ more manpower.

Yet again, launch will be key. If there are no games worth buying a whole new console for, the NX will be stillborn.

Well, that's the point, if it is a shared platform that is both a hand held and a home console in one, that would be a game changer as currently Nintendo have to service two machines, if they only had to service one, there would be a lot more games for that system!

I wouldn't say Knack and Killzone were worth buying a new console for, or ever in the former's case, but that didn't seem to harm the PS4. Zelda on it's own would trump either of their competitor's recent launches, never mind any of the other games in addition.

Well, that's the point, if it is a shared platform that is both a hand held and a home console in one, that would be a game changer as currently Nintendo have to service two machines, if they only had to service one, there would be a lot more games for that system!
What will that mean for the releases though? Will we be getting a combination of console and handheld style experiences coming to the NX to appeal to both sides of it? Because if so, I don't see how anything changes.

If Nintendo however only focus on home console experiences from here on out, that can also be played on the go, then what you say is true; however development times will be a lot longer creating purely home console style experiences and thus general Nintendo releases will be fewer than they are now.

I wouldn't say Knack and Killzone were worth buying a new console for, or ever in the former's case, but that didn't seem to harm the PS4. Zelda on it's own would trump either of their competitor's recent launches, never mind any of the other games in addition.

Knack seemed a far bit more exciting than New Mario Bros U. Killzone is one of Sony's big hitters, it's a beloved franchise that Sony fans consider their equivelant of Halo. And don't forget about the games that Sony fans had to look forward to on launch. Drive club seemed like a completely passable stop-gap solution while waiting for Gran Turismo 7. The Order 1886 seemed to be amazing.

Knack seemed a far bit more exciting than New Mario Bros U. Killzone is one of Sony's big hitters, it's a beloved franchise that Sony fans consider their equivelant of Halo. And don't forget about the games that Sony fans had to look forward to on launch. Drive club seemed like a completely passable stop-gap solution while waiting for Gran Turismo 7. The Order 1886 seemed to be amazing.
Two rules:

Never cross the streams.

Never take the bait.

Come on, Knack was nowhere near the quality of NSMBU. Knack's average review score was a lowly 58.09% compared to NSMBU's score of 84.48%. Knack was generally panned for being boring and lack lustre in almost every single way!

Killzone 4 holds the lowest average review score of any of the home console games in that series and sold less well than Killzone 2 and Killzone 3.

Driveclub received a luke warm reception at best on release and The Order was complete dross.

I think if anything defines the XBO and PS4 it is the fact they aren't being sold on the back of first party exclusives as was the case in previous generations, they are being sold on the back of a very strong third party line up. Which is why the NX needs to get those third party publishers on board - as with Nintendo's first party line up, which is still far better than Sony's or Microsoft's, Nintendo could do very well if they had the same quality and quantity of killer third party titles.

If Nintendo can produce a system with a sweet price point, market it well and on top of that get the killer third party games on their system, they have a fighting chance.

As really, Sony's success comes from just that. PS4 is the cheaper option and has had a much better marketing campaign. Nintendo need to learn their lessons from what is a success in the current market place - and then by adding some genuinely killer first party titles and that Nintendo magic, they have a recipe for success.

Come on, Knack was nowhere near the quality of NSMBU. Knack's average review score was a lowly 58.09% compared to NSMBU's score of 84.48%. Knack was generally panned for being boring and lack lustre in almost every single way!

Killzone 4 holds the lowest average review score of any of the home console games in that series and sold less well than Killzone 2 and Killzone 3.

Driveclub received a luke warm reception at best on release and The Order was complete dross.

All of your claims are absolutely true.

BUT all of those games SEEMED better prior to release. So people preordered and people rushed to the store on the weeks following release. And of course, most people don't read game reviews, they buy what looks good and what everyone is talking about. They did their job of persuading people to buy the console. And by the time people found out they weren't good, their friends had it and there was plenty of third party stuff to play.

Nintendos games were better, but you can't deny that NSMB U and Nintendoland basically looked like Wii games running at a higher resolution. Same goes for Game & Wario.

All of your claims are absolutely true.

BUT all of those games SEEMED better prior to release. So people preordered and people rushed to the store on the weeks following release. And of course, most people don't read game reviews, they buy what looks good and what everyone is talking about. They did their job of persuading people to buy the console. And by the time people found out they weren't good, their friends had it and there was plenty of third party stuff to play.

Nintendos games were better, but you can't deny that NSMB U and Nintendoland basically looked like Wii games running at a higher resolution. Same goes for Game & Wario.

I disagree, I think when you look at the biggest selling games on the PS4 and XBO, they're all third party games. Third party games are clearly the driving force behind those two consoles - on Nintendo consoles first party games are the driving force.

It's why NSMBU has sold three times as many copies as Knack or The Order, despite being on a console with a tiny user base. Yet games like FIFA, COD, Battlefront and GTA are lighting up the sales charts on the PS4 and doing numbers that Nintendo must be eyeing with envy!

When you look at that trend - it reinforces why Nintendo need third party support more than ever!

Agreed.

I think Zelda and Luigis Mansion sound nailed on as day one with Smash, Splatoon and probably a couple of other Wii U titles. There will no doubt be the usual roster of Lego, Dance etc and a few 3rd party AAA titles.

Zelda alone as a launch title should be enough to shift units for the first couple of months and then it's all about momentum and maintaining the 3rd party support. Wii U actually had a great launch line up but nothing followed.

The launch date is critical in my opinion. It NX launches months after FIFA 17 and COD have already been out on other systems, then not many people will buy these games as they will already have them and then we're immediately back to EA saying poor sales, no more games. They need to try and launch the system in tandem with one of the big yearly franchises and maybe even do a package to really drive it into living rooms. If they can launch it for let's say £300 with a FIFA or COD in the box then that should do good numbers

It's why NSMBU has sold three times as many copies as Knack or The Order, despite being on a console with a tiny user base. Yet games like FIFA, COD, Battlefront and GTA are lighting up the sales charts on the PS4 and doing numbers that Nintendo must be eyeing with envy!

I often wonder what percentage of PS4 owners don't even qualify themselves as gamers necessarily, and only buy the console for COD, FIFA and maybe GTA and play nothing else.