NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Anyone who expected the Switch to be Nintendo's online "coming of age" should have realised the fact they weren't talking about it meant they hadn't made much progress in that area.

And now they want us to pay for it!

On the Xbox One I get four free games a month (to keep), online multiplayer, simple friend adding systems, exclusive sales, voice/party chat - get this - on the console, free trial weekends and more.

No excuses. It's absolutely ludicrous.

Hell we already have unique usernames, why not just use those!?

Thankfully I already have pretty much everyone I'd want to add ready to go via Miitomo, but still! Absolute insanity!

The fact that they even call them Friend Codes is the most utterly tone deaf thing. They know exactly how much people hate them, and yet they even use the same name. Talk about shooting themselves in the foot!

Anyone who expected the Switch to be Nintendo's online "coming of age" should have realised the fact they weren't talking about it meant they hadn't made much progress in that area.

And now they want us to pay for it!

On the Xbox One I get four free games a month (to keep), online multiplayer, simple friend adding systems, exclusive sales, voice/party chat - get this - on the console, free trial weekends and more.

I fear for the paid service now. This just an example of an outdated idea and who knows what other madness they will produce. Friend codes, a VC game for a month, a phone requirement to chat with friends etc etc. They just don't get and never will.

Thankfully I already have pretty much everyone I'd want to add ready to go via Miitomo, but still! Absolute insanity!

The fact that they even call them Friend Codes is the most utterly tone deaf thing. They know exactly how much people hate them, and yet they even use the same name. Talk about shooting themselves in the foot!

Yeah they should have called them Switchits.

"Hey, can I get your Switchits? ;)"

Least the console can be used as a battery!

[tweet]837003695330115590[/tweet]

Edited by Ashley

This is the most laughable aspect. They know people disliked them with the 3DS yet somehow that has been completely ignored.

If both users have to send friend requests via friend codes like before then boy there is going to be a Internet shit storm.

I wouldn't be surprised though if it ends up being this way though as it's Nintendo and they don't care.

I think it's time to manage my launch day delivery expectations :( Zelda didn't arrive today which is very unusual for Simply Games. If Royal Mail 1st class is taking 2 days to get me Zelda, there's no reason to think the same won't happen for the Switch (if it ever even dispatches). For now I may as well just hold out hope that it arrives Monday.

Come on Amazon, get dispatching already!!! :mad:

Amazon just emailed me to say that Zelda has dispatched, also the official carry case is "dispatching now", everything else is "arriving tomorrow" :laughing::santa:

I think it's time to manage my launch day delivery expectations :( Zelda didn't arrive today which is very unusual for Simply Games. If Royal Mail 1st class is taking 2 days to get me Zelda, there's no reason to think the same won't happen for the Switch (if it ever even dispatches). For now I may as well just hold out hope that it arrives Monday.

Simply Games are known to do this sometimes, I've already seen other people complaining their copies didn't arrive today. I'd be willing to bet it won't actually ship until today.

Ultimately this is why i changed to Amazon this morning. I trust their weekend delivery far more than royal mails.

One possible ray of sunlight is that the website seems to be the very last thing the official Nintendo store updates...

Their online service best be cheap! Very cheap!

I think it's confirmed as being the equivalent of ~£20 a year

Wow! Just seen the friend code BS. This is why I am sick of hearing people say "give Nintendo a chance, they are improving online"

Sorry guys but this company is never gonna get it. They simply do not understand what gamers want when it comes to online gaming.

I think it's confirmed as being the equivalent of ~£20 a year

It's an expectation/'goal'. Nintendo has not officially confirmed it with any kind of company statement, but given the source I expect it will be about £20.

So worst case scenario instead of typing in a 6 digit user name you have to type in a 12 digit friend code. Not exactly worth getting our knickers in a twist about is it?

It's telling that Nintendo didn't announce this friend code BS.

So worst case scenario instead of typing in a 6 digit user name you have to type in a 12 digit friend code. Not exactly worth getting our knickers in a twist about is it?

Bump into a random at work who tells me has switch. Yo add me, gamertag kickazz1 or add me 245887.......er I forgot.

I know what I prefer.

Also we don't even know yet if only one friend code is needed. It could well be both users have to exchange codes.

Edited by liger05

Not the only way but it's still a pain. I don't memorize a 12 digit number but can easily give people my gamertag.

Do we know yet if one adds a friend via friend code they get a notification and can accept without having to reciprocate?

It's gonna be exactly how it has way been. There will be no notification. Both parties will have to add each friend code and then you hope for the best.

Also remember the switch has no LED lights at all. So in general you won't really know of any notifications you get.

Edited by Rummy

Simply Games are known to do this sometimes, I've already seen other people complaining their copies didn't arrive today. I'd be willing to bet it won't actually ship until today.

I said I was managing my expectations, stop filling me with optimism, you!

In brighter news, the Switch Pro Controller feels really great! Very premium feeling. D-pad is godlike! (It's so tight! Feels very very solid)

The shoulder buttons and Zl/Zr buttons actually have a little give to them, they feel most similar to the SNES shoulder buttons and the face buttons feel kind of like the GCN and SNES ones. Not clicky, a little bit of give and a bit soft. They feel like they'd be good for button mashing. The ZL/ZR buttons have a lovely little groove on the back of them that feels really great. The design really melts in your hands! Also it's transparent and that makes it automatically awesome!

Analog sticks are quite similar to the Wii U Gamepad/Pro Controller. A little tighter and obviously concave rather than convex, but otherwise very similar (AKA, very nice).

The other buttons are clicky and recessed. They feel very responsive and you're unlikely to accidentally hit them. The NFC touchpoint is just between those four recessed buttons, on the Switch logo.

Overall it feels like a really great controller, very comfortable, buttons/d-pad feel great and it has a real premium feel to it (there's a nice heft to it too - not cheap feeling like past Pro Controllers). Looking forward to giving it a proper workout tomorrow!

Also got my official carry case today. Very nice, has a little compartment to fit more games in (there's 5 game card slots, but there's an additional space if you want to put more in loose). Also has a built-in kickstand for the console! Very nice!

I refkon it might actually be possible to fit a 3DS and a Switch in there. Will have to give it a try... (the kickstand covers the screen and is conviniently also big enough to cover a 3DS/3DSXL, so it looks like it might work!).

It's telling that Nintendo didn't announce this friend code BS.

Bump into a random at work who tells me has switch. Yo add me, gamertag kickazz1 or add me 245887.......er I forgot.

I know what I prefer.

Yeah this. I know some people are great with numbers, but I think it is much easier to remember a name than a number (depending on the name, obviously something like UY&AO!7 wouldn't be).

What would be nice is if Nintendo let you used NFC with their apps to quickly add people IRL that way.

It's an expectation/'goal'. Nintendo has not officially confirmed it with any kind of company statement, but given the source I expect it will be about £20.

The source being Kimishima at an investor meeting :p

Looking on Twitter, some people in European countries like Austria and Spain have been receiving their Switch consoles today from companies like Amazon.

Someone in the UK claimed to get theirs on 'gaf.

I joked this morning that I'd be refreshing "Awaiting Dispatch" all day today just like I refreshed "Awaiting Stock Pick" for the last two days. Turns out I was actually right though D:

The source being Kimishima at an investor meeting :p

Yeah exactly, but until its officially set I'd say it's a target. Kind of like online being the air they breathe. It's a plan, it may not pan out exactly :heh:

Taken from gaf

So I gave someone else my Friend Code and had them send a request over. Once you receive the request, you get a notification with their Username and Icon. You then have the option to Become Friends, Decline Request, or Block. If you Become Friends, the connection is done. It doesn't look like you both have to trade codes.

Eureka, they got this bit right.

Looking on Twitter, some people in European countries like Austria and Spain have been receiving their Switch consoles today from companies like Amazon.

Yeah it really seems that Nintendo UK told people to not send out until today :/