NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

It's not the only way, thankfully. I blame DeNA. Had a feeling this would happen when Fire Emblem Heroes friend list was behind Friend Codes

Wouldn't be surprised if standard comes after the paid online

Difference is that you can have a Nintendo Account without the User ID

Not the only way but it's still a pain. I don't memorize a 12 digit number but can easily give people my gamertag.

Do we know yet if one adds a friend via friend code they get a notification and can accept without having to reciprocate?

Finally 'complete' on ShopTo and had the email earlier about delivery being tomorrow via DPD.

Console launches are so exciting and stressful I equally love and hate these rare moments for us gamers! :D

Friend codes..? Are you mental Nintendo?! Deary me!

At least it's not the only way now

Welcome to paid online. A new service where adding friends even becomes a chore.

I just dont get it with this company at times. They create such greatness and then can make a ridiculous decision like friend codes.

Nobody asked for this. We wanted more ways to add friends which they have given us but the most important one uses friend codes.

Bizarre isn't the word.

It's madness really.

Got a bonus from work today which makes it really tempting to pick up a Switch but going to hold out for now as planned!

But seriously, friend codes? Why Nintendo? What's the logic behind it? Does any other company with an online networking service, gaming or not, have such a stupid system today in 2017?

Thing is, this is DeNA's doing most likely. They're handling Nintendo's online services now.

DeNA is a mobile company and in Japan, mobile games all use unique identifiers akin to Friend Codes in order for you to add friends without Social Media.

I believe you may be able to use Social Media to add people here too.

But seriously, friend codes? Why Nintendo? What's the logic behind it? Does any other company with an online networking service, gaming or not, have such a stupid system today in 2017?

Countless mobile games use it, especially in Japan.

Checked my bank account and the money has finally been taken, the Nintendo site hasn't updated yet but i'm relieved that there is finally movement.

Confused as to why they bought back friend codes, did they think not having them was why the Wii U failed?

I'd bet when full online hits they tout additional features of searching for friends via social media, user name and email address etc, but only in paid online

fucks Sake

@Shorty clicking on mine now says awaiting dispatch as the order status, so thats something

Thing is, this is DeNA's doing most likely. They're handling Nintendo's online services now.

DeNA is a mobile company and in Japan, mobile games all use unique identifiers akin to Friend Codes in order for you to add friends without Social Media.

Good thing this console is only launching in Japan then :rolleyes:

Checked my bank account and the money has finally been taken, the Nintendo site hasn't updated yet but i'm relieved that there is finally movement.

Confused as to why they bought back friend codes, did they think not having them was why the Wii U failed?

Looking forward to hearing someone at Nintendo explain why they are doing this?

Good thing this console is only launching in Japan then :rolleyes:

This isn't the only way to add people. No need for sarcasm :P

Poor excuse.

I would accept that if it was available alongside oh I don't know... The industry standard approach?

Poor excuse.

I'm not making an excuse. I'm providing an explanation. It's bizarre to me too, but understandable.

Plus, again, it's not the only method

I think "Google makes me use a phone number" lowers your cred a bit :heh:

It's the only way I'll be able to add people, I don't have friends or have interests in making friends with people in the other listed games/services.

Admittedly I don't care about this particularly because I won't be using the device in this way, but it's still a joke.

Whether or not there's a reason for it, DeNA or whatever, isn't really relevant. It shows more of that disconnect between themselves, and their competitors who have been doing it right for over a decade.

That said, it's very early days. We're talking about before the system has even launched. You've only been able to register an ID on your Nintendo account for a matter of days. Maybe tying the two together will come in a software update very soon. Heck, maybe the user in the screenshot hasn't even linked the device to their account.

I think "Google makes me use a phone number" lowers your cred a bit :heh:

I was being facetious, you Twitter stalker :p

I would accept that if it was available alongside oh I don't know... The industry standard approach?

Just to be a douche. If anything, this is the industry standard.

A handful of companies do it like XBL and PSN.

Hundreds do it like this

:P

I think it's bizarre and stupid too, don't get me wrong, but let's not go crazy.

All Items dispatched. With a nice one hour slot for delivery ie no waiting by the telecom/panicking.

I was on the site's Twitter when I saw the ridiculous flawed argument.

Explain the second part of your post about how other consoles make you use friend codes that you don't get to choose or dictate (and perhaps not transfer, yet to be known)

I was being facetious, you Twitter stalker :p

Just to be a douche. If anything, this is the industry standard.

A handful of companies do it like XBL and PSN.

Hundreds do it like this

:P

I think it's bizarre and stupid too, don't get me wrong, but let's not go crazy.

It's not the industry standard for a games console. Let's not be silly.

Oh Reggie.

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/01/16...acing-content/

“People have taken shots at us for that. The reality is, the way that online experiences have progressed, it’s an expensive proposition. The amount of servers we need to support Smash Brothers or Mario Kart — these big multiplayer games — is not a small investment. There are no friend codes within what we’re doing.

Media need to call him out on this. He lied.

This is absolutely crazy by Nintendo.

When will they wake up to what players want in 2017? Their approach to online is so out of date and it will now harm the Switch as a proposition in a considerable way as it just turns more people off.

Why the hell cant they just copy Sony and Microsoft and get a really basic friends list working based on Nintendo ID name or similar. Even the publishers with their internal systems do far better than friends codes.