NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Lot of reviews pouring in for the Switch now.

Have held off reading the majority of them in depth as they've basically been going through all of the things I want to experience myself when I get it. Tings like the OS, menus, unboxing etc. All the things that bring me weird joy :D.

Have read a lot of the 'negatives' and can see why they've been pointed out. Majority of them are things already been discussed such as the sync issue, not being able to charge the console in table top mode due to the charge port being on the bottom etc. Strange design choices. Can't disagree with these at all.

The one thing it is being called out for is the launch line up and the half baked feel. It does seem a little rushed, but I don't personally remember the last time a console launch was ever deemed a success in terms of available software and console features.

Even the PS4 and One launched without features the previous consoles had had for ages. This isn't me excusing Nintendo in any way shape or form, as I am as miffed by some of the missing aspects, but this is just typical of a modern console launch it would seem.

Launch software isn't stellar but I've still managed to get myself excited over Zelda, Bomberman, SnipperClips and Fast RMX. It beats a safe 2d platform anyway.

Looking forward to getting my hands on this now. Tomorrow will be a long ass work day!

Word is that NUK are shipping Switches out today. It means we'll likely get it Thursday :D

My Zelda just shipped. With this, however...

C52NmmfXEAQjn3u.jpg

Hell no

Oh hell no!!! Are you certain you can get a Switch console from a midnight launch though? What are you going to do?

The one thing it is being called out for is the launch line up and the half baked feel. It does seem a little rushed, but I don't personally remember the last time a console launch was ever deemed a success in terms of available software and console features.

Even the PS4 and One launched without features the previous consoles had had for ages. This isn't me excusing Nintendo in any way shape or form, as I am as miffed by some of the missing aspects, but this is just typical of a modern console launch it would seem.

Launch software isn't stellar but I've still managed to get myself excited over Zelda, Bomberman, SnipperClips and Fast RMX. It beats a safe 2d platform anyway.

Thank you. People seem to have this warped memory of how launches are. However, look at launch reviews of PS4, XBO, Wii U, 3DS, Vita, 360 and PS3 and we get the same damn shit. How features are strangely missing. Launch isn't up to snuff etc.

Oh hell no!!! Are you certain you can get a Switch console from a midnight launch though? What are you going to do?

Yeah I went down earlier and paid it off. Shall be there tomorrow night :)

Base has just dispatched Bomberman.

Now I am awaiting for Amazon to dispatch the Switch and Zelda. This is likely to be tomorrow now.

The digital Foundry review throws up some interesting points.

Why in docked mode is it not defaulting to 1080p. That's strange.

Thank you. People seem to have this warped memory of how launches are. However, look at launch reviews of PS4, XBO, Wii U, 3DS, Vita, 360 and PS3 and we get the same damn shit. How features are strangely missing. Launch isn't up to snuff etc.

To be fair though, those other examples were launching on the reputation and success of the previous gen. People weren't as worried because they knew the games and features would come. Given the disastrous WiiU, people are more likely to be cynical with the Switch.

Edited by Goafer

To be fair though, those other examples were launching on the reputation and success of the previous gen. People weren't as worried because they knew the games and features would come. Given the disastrous WiiU, people are more likely to be cynical with the Switch.

Then that cynicism should be saved for an outlook on the Switch's future, not a review

I don't personally see that as a reason for the other consoles to have been let off due to their previous successes. If anything it makes me scratch my head a little bit more that those features were not there on their successors.

But I agree with the Wii U making people cynical. And rightly so.

That's why I'm glad they finally shook the Wii name off and moved to something brand new, even if it does have some features that made the Wii so popular.

The joycon issue is still up in the air.

Still no clarity at all.

No gorilla glass, surprised with that. Screen protector a definite then.

Edited by liger05

Then that cynicism should be saved for an outlook on the Switch's future, not a review

It's fair to have a review, although there should be a revised review later on. If you know a film will be a trilogy you don't hold your review for the first waiting on how the sequels turn out.

If the hardware is going on sale it's perfectly fine to review it as it is. When features are added etc then they could give it another review.

My Zelda just shipped. With this, however...

C52NmmfXEAQjn3u.jpg

Hell no

Not sure why anyone would use the hut group to buy anything.

Has anyone confirmed if Bluetooth headphones are supported or not?

Love the looks of the switch but a device costing £280 should not be packing a plastic screen and not support wireless headphones.

Edited by khilafah

My Nintendo order says Monday for zelda .... Might cancel along with the switch or get two

http://gonintendo.com/stories/275052-hamster-s-official-site-says-arcade-archives-launching-in-north-a

Looks like we could be getting our NeoGeo fix on Switch come launch day. While Nintendo's own website still says TBD for Arcade Archives' release date, Hamster's own site now says we can expect the games to come out March 3rd. That's all the info it gives right now, but I guess we'll find out soon enough! Thanks to Fiendcode for the heads up!

Can't believe the screen isn't glass.

Every portable device has gorilla glass these days don't they?

Even budget - mid range phones have gorilla glass.

Nintendo always gotta cut corners somewhere.

Is the vita glass or plastic?

Edited by liger05
Automerged Doublepost

Just been watching a bundle of video reviews. Everyone seems to be really taken with it and expect it to be a pretty big success as long as the games are there. This makes a big contrast to the luke warm reception that the wii u got. People are actually really excited!

And screw cnet...

I'm very excited but have a horrible feeling that Amazon will cock up my order, even though iv had no problems in the past. Iv booked Friday off from work and have go in Saturday due to some one else having time off. I'll be sat at the door all day waiting for the delivery. I'm really not sure the Zelda Limited edition is worth it? The US version looks much better.

Just been watching a bundle of video reviews. Everyone seems to be really taken with it and expect it to be a pretty big success as long as the games are there. This makes a big contrast to the luke warm reception that the wii u got. People are actually really excited!

And screw cnet...

Yeah, people (especially on GAF...shocker) seem to be focusing on the negatives stated in reports rather than the positives. People seem overwhelmingly positive about it

Not sure why Nintendo got units sent to be reviewed while things like the eShop are not live.

The ign reviewer saying it's too big for a portable just baffles me. FFS people have no problem sticking a tablet in a bag. It's really not that much effort.

Yeah, I loved the ars technicka review. Really balanced and honest.

Not sure why Nintendo got units sent to be reviewed while things like the eShop are not live.

The ign reviewer saying it's too big for a portable just baffles me. FFS people have no problem sticking a tablet in a bag. It's really not that much effort.

What if you ain't carrying a bag? I often still carry my original OoT 3ds for my steps and possible streetpasses(which seem less frequent than they used to but meh) but that is just about right for an excellent pocket size not to mention clamshell obvs almost protects the screen in itself - I don't know what I'd be doing if I had a Switch to carry with me instead. Already both my 3DS shoulder buttons have broken/only work very rarely - and I'm convinced that's related to me carrying it round so often. I don't know if I'd dare risk a Switch screen etc but if I'm putting a case on that already rather large bad boy then I don't exactly know where I'm going to be carrying the thing!

What if you ain't carrying a bag? I often still carry my original OoT 3ds for my steps and possible streetpasses(which seem less frequent than they used to but meh) but that is just about right for an excellent pocket size not to mention clamshell obvs almost protects the screen in itself - I don't know what I'd be doing if I had a Switch to carry with me instead. Already both my 3DS shoulder buttons have broken/only work very rarely - and I'm convinced that's related to me carrying it round so often. I don't know if I'd dare risk a Switch screen etc but if I'm putting a case on that already rather large bad boy then I don't exactly know where I'm going to be carrying the thing!

But you can put in the bag just like one can put an iPad. I've never heard anyone say an iPad is too big to take out of the home.

Quite a few people got it to fit in their pocket minus the joycons TBF. I wear a long jacket for work with inner breast pockets, which Im very sure it can fit to some degree.

But you can put in the bag just like one can put an iPad. I've never heard anyone say an iPad is too big to take out of the home.

Buuuut...What if you ain't carrying a bag :P? If I had an iPad I know I probably wouldn't take it out with me a lot of the time if I had to stick it in a bag - either because I don't have a bag or I don't trust carrying that level of tech around not on my immediate person!

Bloody hell.

If ever there was an image to make me regret not buying the neon console, this is it.

switch_joycon_zelda.jpg

Damn sexy.

Buuuut...What if you ain't carrying a bag :P? If I had an iPad I know I probably wouldn't take it out with me a lot of the time if I had to stick it in a bag - either because I don't have a bag or I don't trust carrying that level of tech around not on my immediate person!

That's not a reason to say it's too big to be taken anywhere. The criteria can't be it must fit in a pocket.