NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

They did it to protect the 3ds, pure and simple. It is their main income for now, when switch income surpasses 3ds income I imagine they'll stop insisting that it is a home console!

I don't think they'll really care about the 3DS once this is out tbh. Would make no sense given this literally renders it obsolete.

Most likely they are marketing Switch as a home console first and foremost (ie. screenshots with it behind the dock and a controller) since they are trying to position it as a serious console with big games and get more money for it. There's the danger where if your main marketing images show it out of the dock, people will think it's just the next handheld (since that's what it looks like), and people already have preconceptions about handheld games from Nintendo.

I wish I could pick it up now! Midnight launch is the earliest they'll let you have it... although I'll be going Friday morning.

Looks like my Amazon order is getting dispatched tomorrow...

Still possible for me to get it early I suppose, but I'm feeling doubtful...

At least my accessories that I ordered from the UK Nintendo store have shipped. So at least I know that I can play around with the pro controller and charger on Thursday :laughing:

Edited by Dcubed

I don't think they'll really care about the 3DS once this is out tbh. Would make no sense given this literally renders it obsolete.

Most likely they are marketing Switch as a home console first and foremost (ie. screenshots with it behind the dock and a controller) since they are trying to position it as a serious console with big games and get more money for it. There's the danger where if your main marketing images show it out of the dock, people will think it's just the next handheld (since that's what it looks like), and people already have preconceptions about handheld games from Nintendo.

I'd defend the 3ds a bit more than you are here - it's a cheaper console, the games are cheaper, no accessories etc. Its a LOT cheaper. Buy a switch and a game and it'll cost over £300, shop around and you can get the same from a 3ds for half the price. possibly healthier profit margins for Nintendo too now, seeing how old the tech is.

It is still seeing reasonable sales from what we can tell, it is alive, if not at the peak of its life.. twilight years. Unlike Wii U which was euthanised earlier this year.

But I hadn't considered the point in your second paragraph, so I will just say good point, you're probably right there.

Switch at Nintendo, Zelda at Simply Games and a backup Zelda on Amazon and nothing has dispatched yet.

mild first world panic

Nintendo has dispatched my Pro Controller, AC Adapter and Charging Grip.

I have both Zelda and the Switch ordered from Amazon. It is currently due for dispatch on the 2nd. So its looking like no early delivery for me.

Ahh, just got an email from Nintendo and got my hopes way up but it turned out to be just a marketing email :blank:

So, when this comes out, I link my NNID... any chance I get to download games I've already purchased on that NNID?

So, when this comes out, I link my NNID... any chance I get to download games I've already purchased on that NNID?

Considering its launching without VC, what games are you expecting to download...?

Word is that NUK are shipping Switches out today. It means we'll likely get it Thursday :D

Ooh where did you hear this?

DISPATCH NOTICE FROM SHOPTO. GET HYPEZ.

Damn son - When did you preorder? And what time was it set to dispatch today?? Im still processing. :cry:

Ordered a power adapter a couple of hours ago, already shipped.

Console, Pro controller and Zelda still at waiting for stock pick. :(

Despite not picking a Switch up, I was still looking forward to trying one out as my mate was getting one. Turns out, like Serebii's girlfriend, his order also got cancelled by game. He phoned them up and it took an hour to get through to someone only for them to tell him that they've got no idea why orders have been randomly getting cancelled and that they now couldn't confirm a Switch for him come release day. He told them to shove their order and hung up.

Despite not picking a Switch up, I was still looking forward to trying one out as my mate was getting one. Turns out, like Serebii's girlfriend, his order also got cancelled by game. He phoned them up and it took an hour to get through to someone only for them to tell him that they've got no idea why orders have been randomly getting cancelled and that they now couldn't confirm a Switch for him come release day. He told them to shove their order and hung up.

Wow, that's a really good example of how not to treat your customers. That would really make me furious :(

Lol @ Game.

I haven't bought anything from them for years. They have always been Jokers!!!

Wow, that's a really good example of how not to treat your customers. That would really make me furious :(

Yeah, he's furious. He has the day off to play Zelda as well! I've told him to try Shopto and maybe Argos first thing on Friday morning. Hopefully he will be able to grab a console for release day.

Are the supplies really going to be that low for the Switch launch? I remember Nintendo seemingly learned their lesson from the Wii by making sure more than enough units were available for the Wii U....or maybe demand was just so ridiculously low that plenty of consoles were available. If I remember correctly, it didn't sell out anywhere.

Are the supplies really going to be that low for the Switch launch? I remember Nintendo seemingly learned their lesson from the Wii by making sure more than enough units were available for the Wii U....or maybe demand was just so ridiculously low that plenty of consoles were available. If I remember correctly, it didn't sell out anywhere.

Wii u did ok first weekend and then sales dropped off a cliff soon after.

I think Nintendo have tried to be reserved because of that but I always thought 2 mil units seemed low for launch.

Wii U sold 400k in the US first week, 300k in Japan.

MVC said wii u sold 40k first weekend in the UK which was very very low. It shifted just 40k more in the next 6 weeks in the UK.

The biggest problem Nintendo had was inventory stuck in warehouses as units were not leaving shelves.

They obviously don't want this to happen again but I really think switch will have good word of mouth and people will want one after seeing it in action.

The UK sales numbers will be very interesting as this is Nintendo's hardest market.

Edited by liger05

I actually feel like France will be tougher initially!

Looking on amazon as an example, the Wii U BotW is outselling the switch version. Possibly stronger Wii U support = weaker switch support - at launch at least...

amazon.co.uk the switch version is no.2, wii u version...29.

vs france, wii u version no.2, switch version no.3

I suppose France is probably better stocked than the UK for the very reason that the Wii U did better here... was France not the strongest region in the EU for the Wii U?

Edited by Pestneb