NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Got my hands on the Switch today for the first time at the London event. Very nice console. As most who have tried it have said, it feels premium.

First 10 minutes of Zelda was fun. Managed to get two goes on it. 1st time I stayed safe, the second, I ran into battle and got one-shotted by a bokoblin leader and then stumbled across a guardian who zapped me dead. Really looking forward to playing this on Friday now.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was as expected. I won the race I played, by a country mile! Looks and feels good on the Switch. But not really interested in buying it again.

Splatoon 2 felt and looked no different to the original, really, other than some new weapons. Will need a new, improved single player mode if it's to grab my interest.

Arms was really good actually. Very enjoyable. Quite intrigued to see how this turns out.

1-2 Switch was naff. Mildly amusing but should be a pack-in or £20 at most.

Run out of time before getting to play Snipperclips.

Joy-cons are nice and light, the HD rumble is pretty cool. We will see how much it is used to its potential. They're quite small but fit in my hands nicely, and the controller grip that they had set up with Splatoon is decent too. Only problem I felt was the buttons are a little on the small side, which is solved if you have a pro controller, which is a nice controller and probably the best way to play if playing on the TV, but it is a bit/very expensive.

Overall, my experience today hasn't really changed my opinion. I want a Switch. I will be getting a Switch. But I won't be getting one just yet. A Wii U will do for Breath of the Wild for now. I am looking forward to the day it drops to what I feel is a more comfortable price and has a better game library.

Splatoon 2 felt and looked no different to the original, really, other than some new weapons. Will need a new, improved single player mode if it's to grab my interest.

Been waiting for your hands-on Mr-paul, thanks for that. Most of what I kinda expected but the above caught my interest - how much of Splatoon did you actually get to play? New map(s)? What was different on the weapons front? Splatoon's one of the big draws for me for the system, though with the unknown Online at the moment and if it's not doing much new then it could be a big blow to my interest for it down the line :(

Lucky I never played the first Splatoon as it does seem from people's impressions that Splatoon 2 is more like Splatoon 1.5

Except we've seen barely anything of the game so how are people many these assumptions?

Except we've seen barely anything of the game so how are people many these assumptions?

people are making assumptions from what they have seen of the game.... tbh from what I have seen there is very little change BUT there are a good few months to wait. I suspect Nintendo will have more to say about splatoon 2 at E3 and we'll have a better idea then. I am hoping for another (maybe more fleshed out?) single player, and even maybe a co-op campaign.

people are making assumptions from what they have seen of the game.... tbh from what I have seen there is very little change BUT there are a good few months to wait. I suspect Nintendo will have more to say about splatoon 2 at E3 and we'll have a better idea then. I am hoping for another (maybe more fleshed out?) single player, and even maybe a co-op campaign.

I get that, but they haven't shown anything except new weapons, new maps and said every special is completely new.

We have no idea what the single players like, what new modes there are, how many new maps, what the features are etc but a jump to this - feels like 1.5.... I guess I just personally can't understand it so it surprises me.

I get that, but they haven't shown anything except new weapons, new maps and said every special is completely new.

We have no idea what the single players like, what new modes there are, how many new maps, what the features are etc but a jump to this - feels like 1.5.... I guess I just personally can't understand it so it surprises me.

I don't know how different the weapons are - I haven't been able to go to one of the switch "taster" sessions, but...

On the maps front, I would hope that they have some of the interactivity of the single player modes, with sponges, more moveable platforms with fans (I can only think of one map like that?) maybe ink fountains etc. Walls counting a bit? those ink lines that took for from island to island in the first splatoon? Having those kinds of features would allow for the maps to feel fresh. From what I see so far it is much like the last 5 free dlc maps were held back and kept for splatoon 2 (not complaining, just saying).

Basically nothing has been shown to say much has changed, but I think the demo was just to let people see how splatoon was completely possible without the gamepad, and let people get to grips with the control scheme. I'm hoping real novel changes in mechanics will be maybe not even revealed but come to light closer to release. For now focus is obviously more on MK8 and Zelda.

Been waiting for your hands-on Mr-paul, thanks for that. Most of what I kinda expected but the above caught my interest - how much of Splatoon did you actually get to play? New map(s)? What was different on the weapons front? Splatoon's one of the big draws for me for the system, though with the unknown Online at the moment and if it's not doing much new then it could be a big blow to my interest for it down the line :(

Maybe what I said about it doesn't quite do it justice, I only got a couple of rounds on it - there was just the one new map available in the demo. In terms of new weapons they had the dual pistols, which actually I thought were really good, as they have a new/dodge/jump mechanic that allows you to jump twice while firing, not just in squid form. Other than that there were a few new specials - a jet pack that propels you into the air and you can then shoot down at enemies, and a homing missile.

I did kinda miss having the map available without hiding the screen, but conversely was good playing with a 'normal' controller. Super-jumping was fairly simple, using X for the map and then the left D-Pad directions to jump to one of your team-mates - not sure if this means the beacons are out of this though.

It's very hard to judge it on just this demo. We need more details really on whether the online has been improved (parties, voice chat, change load-outs between matches) and whether there's a new, expanded single player campaign. But on first impressions, it's the same old Splatoon with a couple of new weapons. Let's wait and see.

Maybe what I said about it doesn't quite do it justice, I only got a couple of rounds on it - there was just the one new map available in the demo. In terms of new weapons they had the dual pistols, which actually I thought were really good, as they have a new/dodge/jump mechanic that allows you to jump twice while firing, not just in squid form. Other than that there were a few new specials - a jet pack that propels you into the air and you can then shoot down at enemies, and a homing missile.

I did kinda miss having the map available without hiding the screen, but conversely was good playing with a 'normal' controller. Super-jumping was fairly simple, using X for the map and then the left D-Pad directions to jump to one of your team-mates - not sure if this means the beacons are out of this though.

It's very hard to judge it on just this demo. We need more details really on whether the online has been improved (parties, voice chat, change load-outs between matches) and whether there's a new, expanded single player campaign. But on first impressions, it's the same old Splatoon with a couple of new weapons. Let's wait and see.

Same old Splatoon with new modes, new maps, a new single player campaign and other fine tunings sounds perfect to me. Now please let us be able to save loadoits, play any mode at any time, have. Better map rotation system.

Did you try it in handheld mode?

Same old Splatoon with new modes, new maps, a new single player campaign and other fine tunings sounds perfect to me. Now please let us be able to save loadoits, play any mode at any time, have. Better map rotation system.

Did you try it in handheld mode?

Nah, they only had it set up with the joy-con controller grip. Made me feel assured that I wouldn't need a pro controller straight away whenever I pick up a Switch - the larger buttons on the Pro felt much better, but the comfort of the grip felt good enough despite it looking slightly unsightly.

I didn't even consider the idea of having/not having the map on a second screen. Small but notable for Splatoon imo - thanks for the thoughts @Mr\-Paul! I think seeing more of Splatwoon is really going to be a big bit of the Switch for me after the first.

I was just about to order a Switch AC adapter...30 quid!!!

Now you're paying for power!

I was just about to order a Switch AC adapter...30 quid!!!

£24.99 from Nintendo Store UK...

https://store.nintendo.co.uk/nintendo-switch-accessory/nintendo-switch-power-adapter/11396099.html

...but yeah, still expensive.

I'm getting one purely for those times when it's just going to be used in handheld mode plus it's always handy to have a spare, you do get one in the box with the console but you're likely going to have that tethered to the Switch Dock for most of the time.

The 1-2 Switch TV advert really bothers me.

It don't promote the Switch as being a new Nintendo console, and instead makes it look like you're buying this portable mini-game device.

Edited by Retro_Link

Doesn't any USB c charger work with this?

Apparently not, the adapter is not powerful enough.

The 1-2 Switch TV advert really bothers me.

It don't promote the Switch as being a new Nintendo console, and instead makes it look like you're buying this portable mini-game device.

It's not a console. The marketing has been great but it's a handheld with a kick stand.

It's not a console. The marketing has been great but it's a handheld with a kick stand.
Likewise it doesn't make it look like a gaming handheld. It makes it look like the 1-2 Switch device.

Likewise it doesn't make it look like a gaming handheld. It makes it look like the 1-2 Switch device.

Maybe they think the target market for 1, 2 Switch would prefer it to be marketed like that, rather than going all in on the gaming console hybrid angle.

£24.99 from Nintendo Store UK...

https://store.nintendo.co.uk/nintendo-switch-accessory/nintendo-switch-power-adapter/11396099.html

...but yeah, still expensive.

I'm getting one purely for those times when it's just going to be used in handheld mode plus it's always handy to have a spare, you do get one in the box with the console but you're likely going to have that tethered to the Switch Dock for most of the time.

rip off!!

where nintendo getting this price from for power adaptor. mental!

@khilafah unless I've missed something, Switch uses USB 3 Type C which is widely available. All charger should deliver power to the Switch, but some will be better than others.

Nintendo's price is similar to those on the Google Store.

The name "Switch" is not chosen randomly.

You can play the Switch on the go, and you can put it in your pocket. That makes it a handheld.

You can play the Switch sitting in front of your tv holding a "normal" controller. That makes it a console.

Because it can do both, its a handheld/console hybride.

If you put the Switch in the docking station, you're switching between handheldmode and console mode. Removing the Switch from the docking station works the same way, only the other way around.