NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Yes, that's true, but that wasn't the point I tried to make. Maybe I misphrased it a bit. I tried to explain that we shouldn't make assumptions on the reason why there's no VC at launch. It's speculation when you tell other people it's a fact that Nintendo just needs more time to fledge it out. Might as well be an economic decision, right?

It's not unthinkable we'll just get (mostly) the same library and again have to wait while games get rolled out slowly. It's great that we'll eventualy get GC support but we had to wait years on the Wii begore N64 games got added and with the Wii U it was similar with Wiimakes and GC didn't even happen.

well... there was wind waker, and arguably twilight princess (though tp was wiimote wii version right... so not really so arguable)

So there was kinda one GC game on the Wii U.

This is no "soft launch". I don't understand why people think it is. I think its an excuse for nintendo fans to use should the thing not do well or the fact their online services aren't up to scratch, no VC etc.

Nintendo is going all out marketing this thing. This is a proper launch. If it was just for the fanboys they would not be marketing the hell out of it. I think they are implementing the marketing really well, spending lots of money. I want this thing to be a mega success for them.

I think the soft launch is not quite the correct term but in it's defence:

online is not ready

online features don't seem to be entirely finalised due to scant information

virtual console details (tied in to the subscription for online in particular) are quite hazy and again, unavailable for launch

Relatively sparse launch date titles, apparent weak 3rd party support from the top publishers (in terms of "properly" announced games...)

I think there are a couple of other bits but... I don't anticipate buying one for a while so I'm not really focused to much on all that!

One bit about the launch I think is quite good is that they seem to be going for "core" gamers with Zelda and "casual" gamers with 1 2 switch. Mario kart will sort of tick boxes for both groups. Splatoon I think is more for core gamers, then arms perhaps could tick both boxes again. Odyssey for core gamers, again a bigger name so it could tempt more casual gamers as well..

I think, so far it is an encouraging sign that they can go for both markets, although perhaps the 3ds game library will suffer a little....

I want to be properly set up for the Switch. I've additionally ordered a charging grip and also a pro controller. Do both of these come with a USB cable to charge? If so will my iphone AC adapter be fine to use (I have a few of these lying around). I want to be able to leave the dock plugged in at all times, be able to charge my joycons and pro controller while in use and also charge the switch when being used in handheld mode. Shall I buy the official AC adapter?

Edited by Blade

I want to be properly set up for the Switch. I've additionally ordered a charging holder and also a pro controller. Do both of these come with a USB cable to charge? If so will my iphone AC adapter be fine to use (I have a few of these lying around). I want to be able to leave the dock plugged in at all times, be able to charge my joycons and pro controller while in use and also charge the switch when being used in handheld mode. Shall I buy the official AC adapter?

The pro controller comes with an USB cable (but not an adapter). You don't need an adapter, except for the convenience of charging your Switch (or accessory) away from the dock (and can't be arsed to unplug the adapter from the dock).

Edited by Sméagol

I went to the London event today with a friend - managed to play 5-10 minutes each of Snipperclips, Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon 2, ARMS (surprised how fun this is), three 1-2 Switch minigames (Milking, Guess the balls and the quick draw one).

I came away feeling positive from all of them really and definitely have a much better impression of the Switch now. The Pro controller feels good but I don't believe its justifying the higher asking cost than the Dualshock / Xbox controller whilst the joycons attached to the grip do feel a little narrow. However these are pretty small negatives given how nice the tablet is particularly the screen and how fun the games are. It was good trying the different control methods as well as how easy it is to dock and undock the tablet.

It was a really well organied event by Nintendo being able to get some bitesize experience ahead of next weeks launch. I'm definitely going to get one for Mario in the holiday but if there's a good deal sooner I'll pick one up sooner.

The Pro controller feels good but I don't believe its justifying the higher asking cost than the Dualshock / Xbox controller

Pro controller has a 40+ hour battery life. Dualshock 4 has an 8 hour battery life, if you're lucky. Add in NFC, HD Rumble, gyro on top of the massive battery life and I think it's worth the 10 quid extra (or whatever it is)

On a separate note...

[TWEET]835451038517903361[/TWEET]

From sleep mode to gameplay in less than 10 seconds.

Edited by Ronnie

Pro controller has a 40+ hour battery life. Dualshock 4 has an 8 hour battery life, if you're lucky. Add in NFC, HD Rumble, gyro on top of the massive battery life and I think it's worth the 10 quid extra (or whatever it is)

On a separate note...

[TWEET]835451038517903361[/TWEET]

That's how I see it. Tech wise it's packing a lot more and the battery is way better.

Its expensive but I can see why that is.

Saw this on Gaf yesterday. Holy hell, that thing is blazingly fast! Its gonna be a big draw for me on using it as a handheld. Best feature about the DS and the 3DS line, was that you just opened them and kept on playing. This is a similar feature.

Shit's hitting the fan now!

(Apologies if already posted)

:laughing: :laughing:

Edited by Phube

Now we're laughing, but wait 'till Nintendo decide to prioritize this over de Joy-Con issue and come up with a Wi-Mote silicon sleeve like solution :heh:

I guess these people are a large part of the reason why Nintendo normaly build hardware that some people would call toy like. Now we finaly have a sleek, stylish design and this happens :indeed:

There is no issue with the kickstand. Unless you're being an idiot it's fine.

That's like complaining that the Switch can't survive a chainsaw attack and that Nintendo messed up :P </exaggeration>

Seriously, from everyone I've spoken to, the kickstand is absolutely fine and functional and doesn't just collapse

I LOVE those shitty infomercials, along with all of those "Thanks, Obama!" style gifs. Do these people really exist?!

Will the cable from the pro controller charge the Switch up by using an iphone ac adapter or will I need to buy a new adapter? If so, which one?

@Blade We don't actually know what the Switch's power requirements are for charging (and even more so for the docked unit). The FCC filing states 39W, which if that stays true means that a standard USB-C 5V 3A charger might not be enough (like your iPhone one), and that you'd need a USB-PD capable charger with 15V 2.6A (or more). Guess we'll have to wait for further information on this. As an aside IGN NVC podcast mentioned that plugging into a normal USB slot on the computer won't charge the Switch when playing, just slow down the rate of discharge, i.e. not enough charge going in versus energy being used. I should imaghine a similar situation with a 5V power adapter.

Day 1 system update details.

update will provide access to network features including the eShop, online gameplay, ability to share images via social media

- link Nintendo Accounts

- update lets you “connect online using hotspots that require authentication, such as at a hotel or café. A web applet will open up so the user can sign-in or accept terms of use.”

- update will launch “just prior” to Switch’s release

- the update “downloads in the background, is designed to install quickly and doesn’t disrupt gameplay.”

- in order to to buy digital games for Switch from Nintendo’s website, you’ll have to access the eShop one time

- if you don’t have a Nintendo Account when you are asked about it, you can ask the system to send an email with a guidance manual about how to create an account

So does that mean you can't create a Nintendo account directly on the Switch?

Well it doesn't have a web browser so I'm guessing so!

Well it doesn't have a web browser so I'm guessing so!

Yeah but you would think something like that would just be built in.

Yeah. It's a bit strange that despite the slick user interface, they haven't built in a way to create an account in the settings. You'd also think it'd be easy enough to implement for the day 1 patch. Anyway, most of us will already have an account before day 1.