NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

We have had a few tweets from journos and people with inside information this time. Rumours that Luigi's Mansion and Super Mario Sunshine are being worked on for a prospective VC release on Switch.

Yes, that's true, but that wasn't the point I tried to make. Maybe I misphrased it a bit. I tried to explain that we shouldn't make assumptions on the reason why there's no VC at launch. It's speculation when you tell other people it's a fact that Nintendo just needs more time to fledge it out. Might as well be an economic decision, right?

It's not unthinkable we'll just get (mostly) the same library and again have to wait while games get rolled out slowly. It's great that we'll eventualy get GC support but we had to wait years on the Wii begore N64 games got added and with the Wii U it was similar with Wiimakes and GC didn't even happen.

Yeah it may also be the whole soft launch thing. Maybe they are actually prepping it to be good so it hits harder for near xmas. Although, ive given up speculating!

It makes a lot of sense, it'll sell well straight away, virtual console will not help this at launch. With arms and Mario kart coming in the first couple of month, maybe launching it around May could be good?! Personally, I'd dump every single NES game on the service they have, just dump the lot and let people buy whatever, people don't care about them. Then the usual drip feed, but maybe at a faster rate. And obviously introduce Gamecube, and it would be amazing to introduce seas consoles, Neo geo, go even crazier and whack in Jaguar and the Cdi Zeldas :)

This is no "soft launch". I don't understand why people think it is. I think its an excuse for nintendo fans to use should the thing not do well or the fact their online services aren't up to scratch, no VC etc.

Nintendo is going all out marketing this thing. This is a proper launch. If it was just for the fanboys they would not be marketing the hell out of it. I think they are implementing the marketing really well, spending lots of money. I want this thing to be a mega success for them.

This is no "soft launch". I don't understand why people think it is. I think its an excuse for nintendo fans to use should the thing not do well or the fact their online services aren't up to scratch, no VC etc.

Nintendo is going all out marketing this thing. This is a proper launch. If it was just for the fanboys they would not be marketing the hell out of it. I think they are implementing the marketing really well, spending lots of money. I want this thing to be a mega success for them.

I don't think people mean it as in not sell as much, more in the fact that this time is not the typical time to release a console, it'll sell out anyway in the first few months; then after that build up the services and features ready for an even bigger push in the autumn when people are really looking to buy this stuff.

Like you say the marketing is amazing, gets it into peoples minds about the system, it feels like a big new product; that could be hard to get, particularly in US and Japan. But I also don't think no VC, no Browder or media app will affect that.

Seems to be me it's also about messaging, being really really clear. No outlets will be talking about how well it plays media apps, or talking about the virtual console etc Or even the touch screen or anything like that. But about Zelda, 12 switch, the other smaller games, and the device itself. Then slowly add in all those other things which add quite a lot of complexity to the message and what it offers.

Soft launch, hard launch... semantics really. Fact is the full suite is not being rolled out on day one. Like I said previously, I personally feel the VC didn't have to be ready for launch - its a distraction away from the new experiences, to be tempted into buying old ones - especially at launch window.

The console is launching 2 months after Christmas, with a very limited number of titles. The launch window line up is focused on brining high quality releases up until the end of the year, hence why we've heard nothing about 2018 yet.

While I agree that the marketing has been fairly solid thus far, I'm inclined to believe this is more an exercise in brand awareness marketing, given how toxic the Wii name has become. Maybe it's not entirely a "soft" launch, but it's certainly unique in comparison with recent console launches where maximum sales in the run up to Xmas are pushed and the console has full support from the manufacturer and, importantly, third parties.

Nintendo has almost nothing to show from major third parties, for better or worse. I would assume given the rumblings we've heard over the past 12 months with dev kits not being easily acquired, that Nintendo have manufactured this situation so as not to front load the system on launch day and make room for Zelda and Zelda alone. Other consoles (including the Wii U) have launched with at least a version FIFA or COD.

Furthermore, the lack of any kind of bundle whatsoever suggests Nintendo feel they don't need to really push for sales, as day one buyers will be buying regardless, hence more £££s in the till for them.

The bundles, online and the VC will come, and I wouldn't be surprised if another big marketing push and some attractive bundles appear then too, starting in Autumn in the run up to the holidays.

Or maybe they just weren't ready and this has all been haphazardly pieced together, though considering how quiet they've been in the past two years, I find that hard to believe.

This is more of a "rushed launch" than anything.

Although the marketing is on point and Nintendo should receive praise for that.

This is more of a "rushed launch" than anything.

Although the marketing is on point and Nintendo should receive praise for that.

Rushed why?

It's crazy how down on Nintendo you've become. Even the insane positivity surrounding Zelda can't bring any Nintendo light back into you :D

Rushed why?

It's crazy how down on Nintendo you've become. Even the insane positivity surrounding Zelda can't bring any Nintendo light back into you :D

Lack of clarity with regards to key features, including online functions. Not a great deal of games during the launch window being the main one and it all being rather unclear. It's clear that everything was planned around getting it out before the end of March, the end of the fiscal year.

Hey, I'm not just going to blindly follow them and agree with every single thing that they do just because they're Nintendo. Blind loyalty isn't a good thing.

Rushed why?

Probably due to things like online not being ready and Zelda being the only key title at launch. People seem to forget that Zelda is also a Wii U game, so it's not even exclusive to the Switch.

For me, I think it's being released at this time purely because it being the end of the fiscal year and Nintendo will like to have a strong showing before it ends. Have you listened to last weeks RFN yet? Greg also makes this point when they discuss the Zelda season pass and why Nintendo are releasing that now, despite it annoying many fans.

None of us will know whether this is the way they want to roll out the Switch, all we can do is speculate. I'm in the camp that believes they would have preferred a much stronger line up and have the online stuff up and running.

Lack of clarity with regards to key features, including online functions. Not a great deal of games during the launch window being the main one and it all being rather unclear. It's clear that everything was planned around getting it out before the end of March, the end of the fiscal year.

Hey, I'm not just going to blindly follow them and agree with every single thing that they do just because they're Nintendo. Blind loyalty isn't a good thing.

But most console launches are launched with few or sub-par games. Games themselves are never always released with every feature they wanted to be in it. I wouldn't call such a practice rushed.

But it isn't blind loyalty is it, doesn't have to be the other extreme. I would say being a bit down on Zelda after all the hands on and reports and what we've seen is blind negativity personally. Jumping to the absolute worst possible version of most stories/situations is blind negativity.

As for rushed. Maybe. I don't think something not being ready means it's all been rushed though as such. Also there's quite a few games int he launch period, I think this is more by design too, not because the games aren't there; by all accounts Mario is done. I think it's because they want to load up the autumn more when their big sales is going to be. Same with online, there isn't many online games until late summer; so they can't charge for it until then; but why release the features when if they hold them back it makes a bigger impact for actually paying for them when they release it?

Probably due to things like online not being ready and Zelda being the only key title at launch. People seem to forget that Zelda is also a Wii U game, so it's not even exclusive to the Switch.

For me, I think it's being released at this time purely because it being the end of the fiscal year and Nintendo will like to have a strong showing before it ends. Have you listened to last weeks RFN yet? Greg also makes this point when they discuss the Zelda season pass and why Nintendo are releasing that now, despite it annoying many fans.

None of us will know whether this is the way they want to roll out the Switch, all we can do is speculate. I'm in the camp that believes they would have preferred a much stronger line up and have the online stuff up and running.

Maybe maybe. I can see the business sense in ramping up for the autumn and holding stuff back. Big launch sales, steady sales until the autumn with a mad explosion.

Maybe stuff isn't ready. But the machine itself all looks incredibly impressive so that bit hasn't been rushed (cue someone jumping in with the joy con disconnection issue :) ) Don't know, maybe it's the worst rushed, doesn't feel rushed, feels staggering controlled in my opinion. The messaging, the presentations, the marketing, the releases - all feels very precise and carefully planned. Not a mad panic ARGH!!!!!

Yeah I did listen to it, may stop again, I know I've defended him, and I do think he's got a lot of great stuff to say; but Greg dominates every single conversation - whoever recently played it is, whatever news item, whatever listener question - he dominates everything!!

Neo geo, go even crazier and whack in Jaguar and the Cdi Zeldas :)

I've got Ninty's official response to that suggestion.

zeldacdi.jpg

But most console launches are launched with few or sub-par games. Games themselves are never always released with every feature they wanted to be in it. I wouldn't call such a practice rushed.

So, you would say it's a satisfactory launch?

But it isn't blind loyalty is it, doesn't have to be the other extreme. I would say being a bit down on Zelda after all the hands on and reports and what we've seen is blind negativity personally. Jumping to the absolute worst possible version of most stories/situations is blind negativity.

As for rushed. Maybe. I don't think something not being ready means it's all been rushed though as such. Also there's quite a few games int he launch period, I think this is more by design too, not because the games aren't there; by all accounts Mario is done. I think it's because they want to load up the autumn more when their big sales is going to be. Same with online, there isn't many online games until late summer; so they can't charge for it until then; but why release the features when if they hold them back it makes a bigger impact for actually paying for them when they release it?

The "being down on Zelda" thing is a separate argument that I already pointed out. It's not to do with Nintendo and Zelda, but rather journalists and media and their ability to generate (at times, obscene) levels of hype for their own agendas. I already closed that argument down with my post in the Zelda thread, so we can move on from that. :)

Yeah, I can see some sense with holding games back to stagger releases. That's fine. Provided that you have enough games (from a variety of sources...such as third parties) to plug the gap. Otherwise you end up with droughts. There are already people on here talking about having nothing to play for ages after Zelda.

The "being down on Zelda" thing is a separate argument that I already pointed out. It's not to do with Nintendo and Zelda, but rather journalists and media and their ability to generate (at times, obscene) levels of hype for their own agendas. I already closed that argument down with my post in the Zelda thread, so we can move on from that. :)

Yeah, I can see some sense with holding games back to stagger releases. That's fine. Provided that you have enough games (from a variety of sources...such as third parties) to plug the gap. Otherwise you end up with droughts. There are already people on here talking about having nothing to play for ages after Zelda.

I see where you were coming from, and understand the hesitation, it wasn't an attack or anything more of a comment that you've been dragged down so much by Nintendo that you find it really hard to feel the same way you used to. More a "shame" than anything.

How people can see snipperclips and arms and want to play them is crazy talk :D

I see where you were coming from, and understand the hesitation, it wasn't an attack or anything more of a comment that you've been dragged down so much by Nintendo that you find it really hard to feel the same way you used to. More a "shame" than anything.

Don't worry, I'm thick skinned. :p

I fully admit that I'm not Nintendo's biggest fan these days. I hope that the Switch is the start of something new and that Nintendo can kick on from here. We'll see. I'm a cautious observer at the moment.

I think you missed a word out in that sentence. :D

My issue with Snipperclips is, while it looks fun, it's very much a local co-op game, which is useless to me.

Arms does look great and I will certainly be picking it up. I would have preferred to have that one launch day as well. It doesn't even have a release date yet, does it? It's just down as April.

As for Greg, yeah it's very much him and James dominating but I think that's more to do with them being the only two actually playing stuff and knowing what's what in the industry. John seems to only collect games now, rather than play them and Gui hasn't a clue about anything other than small indie games or cute and cuddly titles. I don't think he plays anything that is AAA.

Personally, its not great but its not bad either. I definitely felt they needed a non-casual launch title built from the Switch ground up. (like a shortish Star Fox or Luigi's Mansion to balance out the Zelda adventure - heaven knows whats happening with the launch window specialties like Wave race, Excite, Mario Sports etc).

But funny enough, with BOTW, the Switches launch feels better than the Wii Us - even with all those 20-30 titles released with it. Also better than the Wii's, with the amount of indie games supporting the switch.

The thing about BOTW being a Wii U game seems to not matter to a lot of people due to 1) the fact that not a lot of people owned the Wii U and 2) the Switch's portability is a USP that the Wii U version won't have.

Edited by King_V

I think you missed a word out in that sentence. :D

My issue with Snipperclips is, while it looks fun, it's very much a local co-op game, which is useless to me.

Arms does look great and I will certainly be picking it up. I would have preferred to have that one launch day as well. It doesn't even have a release date yet, does it? It's just down as April.

As for Greg, yeah it's very much him and James dominating but I think that's more to do with them being the only two actually playing stuff and knowing what's what in the industry. John seems to only collect games now, rather than play them and Gui hasn't a clue about anything other than small indie games or cute and cuddly titles. I don't think he plays anything that is AAA.

Snipperclips does have a single player campaign too which is good; this seems perfect for online. They need to putting all multiplayer games only now they want to charge for it!

Yeah Arms has no date, I'm hoping early April to break up the launch and Mario Karts release well; but even heard people say it's post-mario kart! Can't wait to hear more about it though, hoping they just want the launch out the way and in a couple of weeks they'll tell us about all these new modes and single player content and such.

Snipperclips does have a single player campaign too which is good; this seems perfect for online. They need to putting all multiplayer games only now they want to charge for it!

Yeah Arms has no date, I'm hoping early April to break up the launch and Mario Karts release well; but even heard people say it's post-mario kart! Can't wait to hear more about it though, hoping they just want the launch out the way and in a couple of weeks they'll tell us about all these new modes and single player content and such.

Yeah, having single player in it is decent but the game is not really made for it. It's kinda like Triforce Heroes or Metroid: Federation Force. They are serviceable as a single player game but they are meant to be played with others.

Yeah, having single player in it is decent but the game is not really made for it. It's kinda like Triforce Heroes or Metroid: Federation Force. They are serviceable as a single player game but they are meant to be played with others.

Yeah that's what I fear too. I even wondered if it'd be a Trine/Lost Vikings type thing where you switch between the two characters.