NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

That joy con issue is worrying.

Stuff like that is a recipe for bad pr and returns.

Jason Schreier is saying that Zelda is unplayable using the Joy-Cons independently or in the bundled grip and he's now using the Pro Controller exclusively in docked mode.

Nintendo need to fix this!!! Surprised it got past Q and A

Edited by liger05

That joy con issue is worrying.

Stuff like that is a recipe for bad pr and returns.

Jason Schreier is saying that Zelda is unplayable using the Joy-Cons independently or in the bundled grip and he's now using the Pro Controller exclusively in docked mode.

Nintendo need to fix this!!! Surprised it got past Q and A

Of course they're bloody going to fix it. It'll probably be fixed in the day 1 patch.

Edited by Rummy

I wonder why they haven't noticed sooner? With all of the display models used at the events you'd think that somewhere one of them might display the problem if a lot of tech sites are having it?

Hopefully it can be patched with firmware updates?

VC at launch would have been nice but it would have eaten up many other eShop sales. The first party juggernauts from past systems always sit atop the eShop charts. Coupled with BotW, better for Nintendo to give the system breathing space for third parties to establish a viable eco-system for third party software. Their 'Nindies' approach is a great way to showcase this as well.

With NERD, Nintendo have a suitable VC developer with the experience and technical know-how to get things working quickly (especially on Switch's improved architecture). It'll come. We don't need 30 games day one (like WiiU had). Nintendo need a drip effect of buzz until Christmas. We all know the VC is an ace in Nintendo's sleeve. Better to announce it when the launch buzz cools off and to keep the hype train rolling...

Was going to say something similar. I'm gutted, sightly annoyed, but it's not a huge deal.

For me, I also think this is obviously a soft launch, and they're gearing everything up for a big autumn splash with the paid online service, probably browser more apps, virtual console etc.

Edited by Rummy

Of course they're bloody going to fix it. It'll probably be fixed in the day 1 patch. Calm down

Let's just wait a see shall we. Instead of being so sure of yourself when you have been wrong plenty before I would wait to see what happens. If this isn't a software issue but a hardware one this day 1 patch you talk of changes nothing.

If you can point me towards any media outlet with preview switches being told this issue will be fixed with a day 1 patch please post a link. Thanks.

I wonder why they haven't noticed sooner? With all of the display models used at the events you'd think that somewhere one of them might display the problem if a lot of tech sites are having it?

Hopefully it can be patched with firmware updates?

Yeah. But then at all events, the JoyCons are REALLY close to the console. That would fix the problem, I think.

Problem is, if this is not software related, it's going to cause problems and Nintendo can't fix it immediately.

@Serebii please avoid telling people to calm down - it doesn't really add anything to a post or point.

I agree nonetheless it doesn't look good for Nintendo - just hope it's only a small issue not affecting too many units. @Aneres11 I'd wonder if it could be a hardware/batch fault that wasn't present in the previous units so may have missed it there. Do we actually know how many systems it has affected? Certainly not good to have a reviewer tweeting it making games unplayable :hmm:

Problem is, if this is not software related, it's going to cause problems and Nintendo can't fix it immediately.

This is why we really need to wait until they say something/issue their day one patch. If it's a hardware limitation you can't patch that.

My guess is there's something in the firmware that's getting it to broadcast a weak signal to conserve battery and they can tweak that. If not, well, maybe the NES classic had such short leads to get us prepared for not sitting very far from the console heh

So what the chances of Nintendo saying something? If it's a simple fix I would expect something pretty sharpish considering its only 7 days before release.

Hoping something is said today.

Edited by liger05

So what the chances of Nintendo saying something? If it's a simple fix I would expect something pretty sharpish considering its only 7 days before release.

Minimal because the device isn't out yet and as I said, it'll probably be fixed in the Day 1 patch. It sounds like a simple Bluetooth signal boost would fix it and that's software based

Of course they're bloody going to fix it. It'll probably be fixed in the day 1 patch.

If it's a hardware/signal blocking problem (as that video would suggest) then it could be unpatchable.

They need to address this quickly. The YouTube videos will only gain traction.

Nintendo will have to make some kind of statement

Is there any word on how much the dock alone would cost? Or rather how much less would the switch cost if it was only the "tablet" + joycons?

Is there any word on how much the dock alone would cost? Or rather how much less would the switch cost if it was only the "tablet" + joycons?

I think I saw a price for the dock alone being $90 but I'm not sure.

Edit: Yes, at least in January: http://www.polygon.com/link

Might look into getting just the "tablet" when I decide to get one second hand next year.

Doubt anybody will sell it without the dock, though :laughing:

I wonder if Nintendo will do that themselves sometime in the future.

If it's a hardware/signal blocking problem (as that video would suggest) then it could be unpatchable.

But strengthening the signal would negate such things.

Would it? How do you know?

We dont know, and that is only a theory from Gaf (at least that is where I first read it). I really hope its not a hardware problem. If it is, its gonna hit Nintendo hard.

It sounds similar to the issue I had with my launch PS4. Since switching to the Pro I've not had that issue (nor did that issue ever occur on the other PS4 system we had). I wouldn't be surprised if it was a similar hardware problem. Hopefully Nintendo acknowledge it...unlike Sony.

I had a bad experience with my Wii launch controller too, so it's another reason for me to let the system bed in before I consider a purchase or not

And what if the Bluetooth chip inside of these controllers are already broadcasting at maximum strength?

Please stop pretending to know things you don't. Nobody knows, but the concern is warranted as it's very much in the realm of possibility that this is unpatchable. If they can fix it that's awesome, but expect a reduced battery life

And what if the Bluetooth chip inside of these controllers are already broadcasting at maximum strength?

Please stop pretending to know things you don't. Nobody knows, but the concern is warranted as it's very much in the realm of possibility that this is unpatchable. If they can fix it that's awesome, but expect a reduced battery life

But it's far more likely that it is something fixable. Going straight to the doom & gloom scenario like people here keep doing is beyond ridiculous

I think it's far more likely it is a manufacturing fault that occurred during scaling up production. Wouldn't they have noticed issues otherwise?

But it's far more likely that it is something fixable. Going straight to the doom & gloom scenario like people here keep doing is beyond ridiculous

Conversely, going straight for blind defence in the face of facts could be viewed the same way. Given how this technology works and previous incidents in the past, there is a high chance this might not be easy to fix.

Many people are referencing the iPhone 4 situation where, given the design of the antenna in the phone, made the antenna prone to be bridged by people's hand placement on the device causing drop outs. I doubt it's anything that severe as Gamexplain demonstrated it's mostly blocking the direct path of the control to the console that is the problem, but just like the iPhone 4 it can not be patched and requires another kind of fix.

I think it's far more likely it is a manufacturing fault that occurred during scaling up production. Wouldn't they have noticed issues otherwise?

I think this is the most likely culprit. The public events would not have been sufficient to exhibit these issues on the retail ready units as no one really separated themselves too far from the consoles, or were in any kind of scenario like the ones shown in YouTube videos so it's unfortunate yet inevitable this kind of issue wouldn't be discovered until now.

There's no way it's "more likely". Neither you nor anybody has any certainty on the cause and if we're going to try and apply logic, the only thing we can really say is that it would make no sense to enable a capacity of signal strength that you didn't intend to use, but could activate later by software. If this was something they prepared for, then they would've tested scenarios where it could be necessary.

Of course there's no way to know for sure it's not software yet, and there are definitely people overreacting on the other side of the fence, but outlandish claims don't help in either case.

Ok, my train just went in hyper mode after the Snipperclips Joy-Con bundle announcement. I've adjusted my preorder(s) to:

- BotW (too bad LE was sold out before I could order)

- Grey Switch

- Charging Grip

- Pro Controller

- Gamepad travel case

- Switch premium case

I've canceled 1-2 Switch, neon Joy-Con pair and two loose Joy-Con straps (thanks again @Ronnie).

1-2 Switch is a strange one, I'm just not sure enough how much fun I'll get out of it. Should definitly have been a pack-in.

Joy-Cons obviously canceled because op the SnipperClips bundle.

Crazy how one small announcement can turn the tides for me!