NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

No I mean that the Wii U for instance has loads of icons displayed on the screen like an untidy desktop computer. Just a really outdated system that doesn't benefit the user at all.

It looks like Nintendo are getting with the times though and adopting the crossbar menu (two rows of icons). Which coincidentally, is much like what the PS4 has. :p

It's personal preference of course, but so long as it's clean and simple and still easy to use them that's all good by me.

Yeah, from a design perspective it's not great, but I like the flexibility of deciding precisely what is on each page, I'd take that control over a sleek design. But as long as the design we,re given is so good it eradicates the need of controlling it yourself it could be good. I just hope the ALL SOFTWARE can be arranged how you wish (and of course folders) rather than alphabetical or last played etc.

I actually don't really care about the interface to be honest. Both the Wii U and PS4 are fine to me.

I'm more interested in the features that the console may have, its online functionality and games.

Genuinely baffles me just how much people care about a consoles UI.

I just accepted and took to the PS3's, the PS4's, the 3DS'... the Wii's was somewhat annoying because of the pointer controls.

They're just menu's. And they're all pretty quickly navigable.

Considering the amount of sheer options the PS4 console has, it is any real surprise it's not the most definitive UI?... likewise at the moment the Switch's may look simple and easy because there's absolutely bugger all there.

I actually don't really care about the interface to be honest. Both the Wii U and PS4 are fine to me.

I'm more interested in the features that the console may have, its online functionality and games.

Didn't you find the wii u slow. Day 1 it was shockingly bad and even after updates to me it still was slow. Not as slow but still very annoying the speed it took to get through menus.

I'm very happy it looks like the switch is light years ahead of the wii u interface.

Personally agree myself, though reassured to see the OS doesn't seem too cumbersome in its movements compared to Wii U's. Given the generally positive reaction I'm seeing to those videos here - I'm still left wondering why it is Nintendo aren't revealing these things themselves with literally just 2 weeks to go until release of the product :confused:

Didn't you find the wii u slow. Day 1 it was shockingly bad and even after updates to me it still was slow. Not as slow but still very annoying the speed it took to get through menus.

I'm very happy it looks like the switch is light years ahead of the wii u interface.

I personally did find it a bit slow - tbh I'd have engaged more with Miiverse if it didn't feel so cumbersome to switch into. I was hoping that they might re-brand the thing for Switch(Switchverse can work just as well) and maybe add some new functionality etc - so a little sad to see there's still no sign of similar on the horizon; probably one of the better implementations made for the WiiU imo.

Edited by Rummy

I just accepted and took to the PS3's, the PS4's, the 3DS'... the Wii's was somewhat annoying because of the pointer controls.

Considering the amount of sheer options the PS4 console has, it is any real surprise it's not the most definitive UI?... likewise at the moment the Switch's may look simple and easy because there's absolutely bugger all there.

Speed is what counts. Even if one doesn't like the look of the PS4 UI it's still rapid.

That's the most important thing to me. I don't want to have to wait extra seconds just to navigate a menu.

I really like the simplicity. There aren't a million different directions, layers, sub menus, tiers, right clicks, apps etc like on the PS4. It may be the most feature packed, but it's also the most bloated and messy IMO.

I think people are excited by the Switch UI because there's a lot of excitement about the Switch itself. At least that's how it feels.

PS: I really like the user icons

vL9NSHn.jpg

Edited by Ronnie

Personally agree myself, though reassured to see the OS doesn't seem too cumbersome in its movements compared to Wii U's. Given the generally positive reaction I'm seeing to those videos here - I'm still left wondering why it is Nintendo aren't revealing these things themselves with literally just 2 weeks to go until release of the product :confused:

I don't think Nintendo are going to bother. It's crazy.

I really like the simplicity. There aren't a million different directions, layers, sub menus, tiers, right clicks, apps etc like on the PS4. It may be the most feature packed, but it's also the most bloated and messy IMO.

Would one really consider this an accurate description of the PS4 interface, or a potential exaggeration? I can say I personally find it contrary to having 'a million different directions' nor layers, sub menus, tiers(all similar synonyms I feel describing the same thing, and many of them not neccessary in day to day usage), CERTAINLY not right clicks, and apps?? Do you mean...just stuff that's on there? So if I couldn't see what was on there how else would I be accessing it...?

I find the PS4 interface slick - I come home and turn it on, I press X to sign-in as me, hit the right stick once or twice hit the game I'm after and BAM! I'm in. Whilst the game is booting and loading I can then hit my home button for my interface overlay that lets me see what friends are online and other quick menu options etc.

Again a lot of this comes to the slickness and speed as liger has also mentioned. Sure, the PS4 may have plenty of options - but does one ever really get encumbered by them? I don't personally have that problem at all. What I like is that I get into my games fast, and I get into the things I want to do around that quick and without much issue too.

I don't think Nintendo are going to bother. It's crazy.

For what? The Switchverse potential or reveals/marketing? The latter is bizarre, especially as it seems a number of old fans are very much on the fence regarding a number of aspects - it's still marketing that could work for them in covincing those over for another initial boost in sales and install base than can then be later built upon on various fronts.

We don't have to worry too much about them not revealing things though - as I recall @Ronnie promised me and kav we'd get our direct about Online features before the system is out, not to mention the ultimate authority in @Serebii telling us we'd also get a direct before release(though I'd argue we're past his timeframe). We should just chill out and wait for the directs to roll in :)

Edited by Rummy

To be honest I think people are just excited because its something new to look over and talk about. Nintendo should have been the ones taking advantage of this, not some lucky guy who got his early.

I've looked at the backlog of games I have and all of a sudden I appreciate the Switch so much more. A hybrid device is the perfect device for me these days!

I don't game too often anymore, one or two nights a week maybe, and so finishing games is taking longer and longer for me. I do, however, commute for 3 hours a day with work and so some of this time could be used for gaming thanks to the Switch.

...but with my backlog being on the PS4, it is annoying, haha. Well, the Switch will be a predominately handheld console for me, but I'm glad I'll be able to put it on the TV when I want! @King_V I'm actually now a little excited even! :D

I've looked at the backlog of games I have and all of a sudden I appreciate the Switch so much more. A hybrid device is the perfect device for me these days!

I don't game too often anymore, one or two nights a week maybe, and so finishing games is taking longer and longer for me. I do, however, commute for 3 hours a day with work and so some of this time could be used for gaming thanks to the Switch.

...but with my backlog being on the PS4, it is annoying, haha. Well, the Switch will be a predominately handheld console for me, but I'm glad I'll be able to put it on the TV when I want! @King_V I'm actually now a little excited even! :D

When I first got my PS4 I did contemplate a Vita and then a PSTV for the remote play aspects of the system - the real issues were obviously the data transfer aspects for one, but also that I don't have so much of commute times these days to really make the most of the cost. For your commutes it'd be ideal if the battery holds out(and obvs you can charge once in at work for the journey back home) and makes pretty good sense. I think what tempts me about the Switch over a PS4/Vita combo is that you don't need the extra faff of wifi/mobile etc and the system itself is there with you. I just got my Wii U back yesterday in prep for BotW - I'm thinking of setting up in my bedroom rather than living room and using it mostly as an Off-TV device when I'm in bed and watching other crap. Not sure if I'll stick with it, but with Zelda coming I'm thinking about when/where will be best to be playing it without the Switch!

In case anyone misses this in the 1, 2 Switch thread...

Just missed out it seems. Bugger!

FDEDEB34-41F7-4A3A-A552-6F87CEF75D1A_zpsot3e7kbw.png

Have just returned from the Switch even with @Mike1988uk.

Very very impressed I was!

Sorry for the length of the post.

The word that springs to mind when thinking about the Switch after today is 'versatile'. I think the games were set up in such a way to show off the systems versatility.

You had Zelda hooked up with a Pro Controller, and the ability to undock it to play in handheld mode.

C4B71F6A-612B-4C01-B41E-95BD3EAB86B7_zps3f5e0paj.jpg

717D841A-83B2-4B32-8210-2E25A82C9F1E_zpseyx6a5ka.jpg

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was just in handheld mode with 8 players in a circle racing against each other.

F73FCB4F-39C0-4771-A409-9432B22FB707_zps4q16v2nw.jpg

SnipperClips was in tabletop mode with a joycon each and a comfy sofa to settle into.

66AB2FBF-9048-47DD-B64F-8F228947B701_zpsprufs2pb.jpg

Arms was up on your feet with the joycons and motion controls.

E53047EA-C2A8-4CE6-AC7B-14F8E83251A0_zpssssirv9b.jpg

Splatoon2 was the joycon controller in all of its glory. Surprisingly comfortable too.

010AD4AA-FA30-430C-BB2F-DE09B73E3E97_zpsmsm7nvar.jpg

1-2 Switch I didn't play, but we all know how that's controlled.

We started with Splatoon2. Both Mike1988uk and I had never experienced it as we skipped the original. I think Mike was more impressed than I was. I found it a little difficult ha. But they did have motion controls in place. Not sure if this is something that can be turned off? But I found it tricky knowing what buttons to press whilst having to aim with the controller to where I shot. Still good fun though, and I can see me enjoying it eventually.

5E831611-03C5-411E-A1E4-140ED61DABD7_zpskbbtw59f.jpg

We got to go hands on with the joycon controller with this. That was surprisingly comfortable. You could easily forgo buying a Pro Controller using this set up if you didn't want the additional expense. Buttons were easily reachable although the ABXY buttons were pretty small compared to the Pro Controller so there is that to consider.

We then moved onto Mario Kart. No TV here, just handheld mode. Glorious. Looks amazing on the Switch screen. I personally found holding the console in this way a little uncomfortable. However there was added weight here due to the metal clamps on the back. Still, I think the way forward would be joycons slid off, one in each hand and the screen in table top mode. I came 4th and 2nd on my two goes, which I was pretty pleased about. :D

9782891F-58AE-4EFD-8743-AE31BEDA5232_zpsj6imupa9.jpg

WP_20170217_12_51_14_Rich_zpsi5sogevw.jpg

We then had our Zelda slot. It just looks amazing. There was a Switch rep with each person talking you through the games premise, controls and where to go. Sadly, these were 10 minutes only due to them having to let everyone play it during the session.

Got my hands on the Pro Controller here and it feels so so good. Up there with the Xbox One controller IMO and the same stick layout which for my tastes is the most natural positioning.

After about 5 mins he asked me if I wanted to play in handheld mode, which I did. I asked if I could undock it and he said sure, it was absolutely seamless. Handheld mode booted up virtually as soon as it undocked. I played in this mode for a bit, but I'm not gonna lie I didn't enjoy it as much as in 'home console' mode. Everything was obviously, much smaller and I felt like the quality of the world and it's vastness was compromised using it in handheld mode. But hey, this is why I say 'versatile' as you have the choice. For me, Zelda will firmly be a TV game.

We then tried Arms out. Now. When I first saw this during the Direct I thought it looked a bit throwaway, gimicky etc. And I did roll my eyes at the motion controls making a return. However, the Rep showing us said he thought they'd done the game a huge disservice in the Switch Direct as it wasn't showed off to its full potential.

E0B1A382-265C-43C2-B8AC-8D03674174B7_zpswpr384kj.jpg

I remained sceptical but once we passed the tutorial and played it I was utterly convinced and won over. Biggest surprise of the day by far for me this was, it's shot up to my most wanted list after a 10 minute try out.

The joycons are used up-right and on their side so you have your fingers wrapped round the ZL and ZR buttons. The motion controls were absolutely spot on, you twist your wrist and punch and the punch is curved as to which way you've moved your wrist. Push both arms out at once and you grab your opponent and do some special move which looks really good. This can be blocked though and the opponent can quickly gain the upper hand.

You damage your opponent and their arms glow yellow, this means they're damaged. Do more damage and their arm or arms glow red meaning disabled. You know you've got your opponent on the ropes then!

One thing Mike1988uk said that I hadn't paid attention to was the weight of the joycons, or rather, the lack of. Playing Arms, they felt almost weightless. This is exactly what you need for a game like this. This type of experience wouldn't be possible with the Wii remote so it's great to see they've made a brand new game that gives you another way to play with this system.

Both of us were left really really impressed with Arms. Also, I battered Mike twice in a row. :P

SnipperClips next. This was on my want to play list as I felt like it could be pretty good. Turns out I was right! Both of us had a great time playing this. Turn the joycons on their side, one each and away you go. Joycons were surprisingly comfortable in this mode and we had to get to work snipping each other to beat the levels objective. Get the pencil in the sharpener, basketball in the net and popping the balloons. It was so much fun.

884AA56E-4A27-4038-9EE5-F317A06D021B_zpsvtextig9.jpg

You really had to think about what you were doing and the most logical way to do it. Dr Kawashima eat your heart out!

The demos were obviously timed, not that we knew it, and when our screen flashed up saying thanks for playing we let out an audible groan! We both enjoyed it way more than we thought. This is Nintendo all over. Play together, work together and have fun. I have now preordered this as I know my partner will like it and I really wanna play some more. Another massive surprise this one. And another way of playing the Switch.

WP_20170217_13_48_17_Rich_zpsd88emxgp.jpg

We didn't bother with 1-2 Switch as there was a lot of people waiting but we watched others have a go whilst in the Arms queue and it looked like fun, if very short lived. My opinion hasn't changed on this, not gonna purchase but would have been nice to try out the HD rumble.

Here's a snap of 2 lads milking. ;)

WP_20170217_13_22_06_Rich_zpsnkcjz7ax.jpg

That was all that was on offer. One thing that I thought whilst I was there was how amazing it would have been if ALL of these titles were available at launch. It would have turned it from meh to amazing.

I was never dubious over the system, I liked the possibilities of it as soon as I saw it. But today has made me realise just how versatile the Switch is. There are so many ways to play this console. On your own, with friends, in handheld mode, table top mode.

I was so impressed with what I saw. The console feels extremely well built and sleek. Not Nintendo like in the slightest (but in a good way).

I have preordered the grey console having been unsure on the neon, but now I've seen the neon I just love it. Looks amazing!

0D47A242-D23A-4113-B9D1-090723D75C88_zpskqlcellb.jpg

But the biggest surprise as already mentioned, were the games. Particularly Arms which I just loved. When my turn finished I was genuinely gutted as I wanted to carry on. Hopefully there is a fleshed out single player mode although from what I have searched there's online too, which is a bonus.

SnipperClips also a huge surprise. But a pleasant one. Looks like this will be my second purchased title now, which I'm excited about!

I was already a little hyped after the leak of the OS, which looks simple, sleek and snappy. Now I've had hands on with the games, and the different ways to play, my hype has notched up a hell of a lot.

I think the fact I found Splatoon to be the weakest of the games on display shows how there's a lot of quality in the other games. I had much more fun playing with Mike in SnipperClips and kicking his ass in Arms :heh: than I did sat playing Splatoon on my own. Sure, we were playing in a team fight but it didn't have me interacting with him in the same way.

Now I get why Nintendo continue to push this 'playing together' thing. It's just so much more fun.

Roll on the 3rd March! :yay:

Edited by Aneres11

Thanks for the report, glad you came away impressed. Almost everyone who plays Arms seems to have really loved it, I can see it getting Splatoon-like popularity and acclaim. Such a clever, fun looking game.

That photo you took of MK8's character select screen is lovely and really makes the screen look amazingly bright and vibrant.

I've never been this excited for a games console, only two more weeks...

Would one really consider this an accurate description of the PS4 interface, or a potential exaggeration?

I'd call it an exaggeration, and suggest that anyone who disliking aspects of it give the Xbox One UI a spin. Even on the S it's sluggish and prone to freezing/stuttering and menus are even more convoluted to me.

As long as the UI is functional I can't say I care much. But for me functionality includes running smoothly.

@Aneres11 yes you beat me on arms......

But who came first on mario kart!? :p

You shut your filthy mouth.

My green shell to myself at the very last 10 seconds didn't help. :red::wink: