NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

The console is £198.50 at Gameseek.co.uk - what's the catch? It seems too low to be true.

It's no longer in stock and the next batch they get from Nintendo will be back to the rrp. If people pre-ordered from there though, lucky them. Hopefully no scalpers amongst them....

Metroid on Switch - reckon we'll see it this year as Reggie alluded to?

Are you happy that Nintendo has continued with advancing its motion controls?

Im happy that they are, the issue I had with the Wii was that it was the predominate way to play games - but for me the Switch redeems this by having the grip, rendering motion controls/waggle as (hopefully) optional, as I felt it should be (barring games like 1 2 switch).

No, absolutely not. Unless its with VR where it makes sense I just cant stand motion controls and I was really hoping that with the Switch Nintendo were moving away from it.

I've heard it said before elsewhere but having the Switch have motion control games as well just feels like Nintendo trying to recapture the glory days of the Wii after the Wii U failing.

Metroid on Switch - reckon we'll see it this year as Reggie alluded to?

I hope so. I actually think Metroid is essential.

No, I'm happy with just a gyroscope like the Wii U and 3DS had. They were useful for adjusting your aim in the Zelda games, but I don't want any more than that. "Tilt the unit" but not "move the unit", so to speak.

I'm happy that they've not just brought it back but improved it. It gives people the option. Look at Arms, that works amazingly with motion but also has buttons. Options for all players.

Removing options is never a good thing

Options for all players.

Or not having options either. Such as...say...streaming services or built-in voice chat...just as examples...:heh:

Its purely selfish reasoning of course but I just don't want a game to come out that interests me but I won't play because it uses motion controls.

The option to have motion controls is not a good one for me.

Happy to have them back, so long as Nintendo continue to offer regular controls an alternative option when possible.

Arms having standard controls was a pleasant surprise and I hope this will be their approach whenever possible.

Right then, we're less than 6 weeks away!

What does everyone think we could see in the coming weeks in terms of press statements, hands-on/gaming events, and Directs from Nintendo? And, to those who aren't currently planning on purchasing a Switch at launch: what pre-launch announcement could possibly entice you to at least reconsider? Or are you dead set on steering clear of launch?

What does everyone think we could see in the coming weeks in terms of press statements, hands-on/gaming events, and Directs from Nintendo? And, to those who aren't currently planning on purchasing a Switch at launch: what pre-launch announcement could possibly entice you to at least reconsider? Or are you dead set on steering clear of launch?

No idea what might be shown or told.

For me to even consider they need to add another couple games that might interest me, make the online features be on the Switch itself at OS level and drop the price of Switch plus a game to £250.

Otherwise it'll be a second-hand purchase once maybe Mario and a Metroid are both out. The first year doesn't have enough killer apps to entice me to make a purchase.

Or not having options either. Such as...say...streaming services or built-in voice chat...just as examples...:heh:

Those aren't control options. Those are optional non-mandatory amenities that aren't actually required for anything whereas motion control is required for some games past, present and future

Expecting a Direct next month that puts out all the details on the online including some eShop exclusive games for the first couple of months, Virtual Console details etc. and maybe even some more games.

I'm hoping over the next 6 weeks we hear some concrete details on the online system and the consoles UI, some Virtual Console announcements and some Switch related My Nintendo rewards. I think it would be good to have another game or two announced over the next month or two as well.

I'm most keen to hear about the Virtual Console, would be fantastic if we had a few Gamecube titles at launch. The fantasy is obviously that all of our previous VC games are also accessible on launch day but even if our purchases carry over I don't expect to have all of them available on launch.

We'll get a Direct outlining system features, online account stuff (or lack of) and confirmation of eShop/Virtual Console lineups.

Maybe.

I moved my order to the Zelda bundle with GAME but that's only because it's £20 better than what I would have been paying, despite the fact that I almost certainly won't keep my preorder anyway :blank:

I'm keeping it for now in the hope that Nintendo show a couple of interesting things about the system in the next few weeks, hopefully in the form of a Direct which outlines the Virtual Console situation and any other interesting features that may not have come to light.

February is going to be very intriguing.. :hehe:

At the moment I am interested in it enough simply because its new tech (and I'm a sucker for that) so I'll keep my preorder. I dont think Nintendo have shown enough otherwise though. I think if they announced that there will be at least one or two Gamecube games at launch through the VC then I would be happy.

I'm hoping over the next 6 weeks we hear some concrete details on the online system and the consoles UI, some Virtual Console announcements and some Switch related My Nintendo rewards. I think it would be good to have another game or two announced over the next month or two as well.

I'm most keen to hear about the Virtual Console, would be fantastic if we had a few Gamecube titles at launch. The fantasy is obviously that all of our previous VC games are also accessible on launch day but even if our purchases carry over I don't expect to have all of them available on launch.

There better be some directs. They haven't released nowhere near enough information. We need to see the OS, UI, EShop etc..

Still a lot of unanswered questions.

No, absolutely not. Unless its with VR where it makes sense I just cant stand motion controls and I was really hoping that with the Switch Nintendo were moving away from it.

I've heard it said before elsewhere but having the Switch have motion control games as well just feels like Nintendo trying to recapture the glory days of the Wii after the Wii U failing.

Is that really a bad thing? The Switch is ingeniously alike yet different from the Wii. With the joycon grip you can play games in their traditional form for traditional games OR buy the wii-mote-esque motion games.

Its the difference between being forced to swing the remote pointlessly in Twilight Princess Wii to pressing buttons in BOTW.

Is that really a bad thing? The Switch is ingeniously alike yet different from the Wii. With the joycon grip you can play games in their traditional form for traditional games OR buy the wii-mote-esque motion games.

Its the difference between being forced to swing the remote pointlessly in Twilight Princess Wii to pressing buttons in BOTW.

I've explained my reasons in another post and as I said there its purely selfish on my part but I just dont want that kind of stuff in a gaming system if it isnt also linked to VR. I dont find it enjoyable in the slightest and I dont want the chance that a game I would otherwise be interested in becoming ruined by motion controls.

I know it seems less likely with the Switch due to the way its designed but 1,2 Switch shows that Nintendo are not opposed to still designing games that way and thats what I dont want.

Pretty certain we'll get a Direct about online services, how people believe the presentation news is all we're getting is... :hmm: O' ye of little faith.

Wii U's Miiverse Direct November 2012:

I've explained my reasons in another post and as I said there its purely selfish on my part but I just dont want that kind of stuff in a gaming system if it isnt also linked to VR. I dont find it enjoyable in the slightest and I dont want the chance that a game I would otherwise be interested in becoming ruined by motion controls.

I know it seems less likely with the Switch due to the way its designed but 1,2 Switch shows that Nintendo are not opposed to still designing games that way and thats what I dont want.

Fair dos.

I just feel its an easy win to grab a few million casuals with motion control tech demo/party games, whilst keeping it firmly hardcore. (I felt the most criminal thing about the Wii was forcing motion control philosophy on their core games).

jz5UIz

With Just Dance releasing on Switch after its October release on Wii and WiiU, is this the first time there's been a new game release across 3 Nintendo home systems? Not sure what point I'm making, I just find that pretty interesting. Looking at past systems, it'd be crazy to see a title release on SNES, N64 and GameCube around the same time back in like 2001.

Nintendo have said they'll be speaking about various things before launch. Don't worry, we'll get stuff

Nintendo have said they'll be speaking about various things before launch. Don't worry, we'll get stuff

I'm usually quite positive about Nintendo but not saying anything has me worried. If they had GCN VC or a fantastic eShop approach nailed down, surely they'd be showing it off to encourage more pre-orders/sales.

In regards to motion - can't wait to experience this new experience. I'm loving the look of 1-2-Switch. Being able to bring the Switch into work and set it up for students to play in college will be awesome. Can't wait to have some 'quick-draw' knockout games and encourage non gamers to feel amused and humoured experiencing milking cows and finding marbles etc. Titles such as this demonstrate Nintendo executing mobile tech in its purest form - bringing people together in new ways.

It's just a shame the system doesn't sit in the impulse- it territory. By Christmas maybe Mario and a fuller library will appeal to those seeking a family-friendly party machine that also appeals to the typically solo/core gamer.

Edited by tapedeck

Potentially. The Wii gave Nintendo a big boost, but it didn't have much legs. It attracted a lot of people that didn't stick around, and it attracted them for £180 with a game included. Thus, it is less likely to reach as big an audience of impulse buyers, many of whom won't stick around anyway. Or you could argue the inverse and say due to the greater investment people will stick around more, but it depends if something like 1-2 Switch or Arms will have enough mass market appeal to get people to part with ~£320.

There is an argument to be made that the Wii (and Nintendo's handling of it) hurt Nintendo in many ways, particularly over the long run. Plus the market in 2017 is very different from 11 years ago. I just don't think it could replicate the same success based solely on motion controls, and I don't think their entire strategy is to do so through motion controls but there's not really much else working for them at present.

And your Zelda analogy doesn't quite work. TP you had no choice but to use motion controls, BOTW was built around not having to use them. Nintendo could arguably build control schemes that work with both, and Arms is a good early indicator, but then you look at something like Star Fox Zero which they bungled in terms of marketing (i.e. it was very late in the day before it was confirmed there were multiple control methods) and, depending on your view point, creating a control scheme that was practical and desirable rather than just new. Miyamoto's comment a while ago along the lines of "we'll bring back old franchises when we find a new control method for them" is not the most reassuring if you're not a fan of motion controls.

And your Zelda analogy doesn't quite work. TP you had no choice but to use motion controls, BOTW was built around not having to use them.

Not really, TP was developed on the GC after all. Good points in any case.

Not really, TP was developed on the GC after all. Good points in any case.

Ha true, I forgot it was a GC game too. But then you did say "Twilight Princess Wii" which did require waggle slashing so nyeh :heh: