NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

£40 for a wii u game and £60 for a switch Zelda is ridiculous but I'm expecting the RRP's to drop.

Came across this on neogaf

https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/...chmas-presents

Syrenne is a registered Nintendo developer who's working on Monochrono for the Switch and Wii U.

She makes appearances on the RFN podcast sometimes and always gives some behind the scenes insight at Nintendo or the Japanese gaming industry.

While she's still under NDA and can't talk too much about technical specifications she did give some juicy tidbits that I thought were interesting.

I'm going to paraphrase for the people who just want a written version of what happened.

On Joy-con's

-Lots of tech

-HD rumble is the real deal. The bottom of the joycon will vibrate if an ice cube hits the bottom of the glass. And a full glass of ice cubes will make the top of the joycon rumble. Like the joycon becomes the glass. Basically the rumble can vibrate at different intensities but also at different locations instead of being one giant motor.

-IR pointer is great. It would be difficult to make Wii BC games work with it but not impossible.

-Comfortable to hold while separated and joined together. It doesn't look ergonomic but they fit in hands naturally.

Switch Pro Controller

-Has everything the Joycon have including HD rumble and motion controls.

-No IR pointer.

-D-pad is iconic Nintendo dpad.

-Very comfortable

-Battery life is great but not 80 hours like the Wii U pro. Happy with battery life.

Developing for Switch

-Very happy with it

-Easy to develop for

-Anything she wants to do she can. No limits. Toolset is great.

-Can't talk specs.

MyNintendo and Virtual Console

-MyNintendo tracks all your 3DS and Wii U purchases. Not your Wii ones.

-Her theory on VC is if you bought a VC game on 3DS or Wii U you'll pay an upgrade fee like you did ON Wii U. However, if you bought the same VC game on both Wii U and 3DS you'll get the Switch VC game for free. If you only bought it on Wii VC you're SOL.

Online subscription

-the free game a month is exactly like PS+. As long as you download within that free month it's yours to keep as long as you're subscribed.

-the free download a month is chosen by Nintendo because if they offered all VC games with online the player base would be split and you'd never find enough people for a match. Whereas with this method, everyone who's downloading the game is part of the same player pool.

Why VC sucks on Wii U

-Nintendo pays a license to put games on VC but Nintendo has to approach publishers and choose which games go on VC. So anytime you complain about a certain Sega or Konami game not on VC it's not Konami or Sega's fault, it's because Nintendo didn't pick that certain game to be on the platform.

Edited by liger05

Wait.. some people don't have a problem with Nintendo charging £60 for Zelda??

Damn Nintendo love guys like you. £60 is outrageous!

@liger05 was just listening to it on my drive home and was wondering why nobody was hyped about it. Hyped again and can see why the joycons and pro controller are expensive. It is likened to the Vive in the talk and it's noted how it blows motion control and the PSMove away and that the camera is the real deal, working like a Kinect 2.0. It was also fascinating where she (sounded like a guy on the poscaat?!) talks about how "this thing is a dream to develop for" and how they make an educated guess as to the VC. Shame they got the analogue triggers wrong but yeah, tired etc.

Nice to know there's movement on the price. Unlike wiiU which, from this discussion seemed like it did SO much wrong behind the scenes. Nintendo still brutal with VC games too. Interesting.

Wait.. some people don't have a problem with Nintendo charging £60 for Zelda??

Damn Nintendo love guys like you. £60 is outrageous!

It's £49 at ARGOS. *shrugs*

-the free game a month is exactly like PS+. As long as you download within that free month it's yours to keep as long as you're subscribed.

-the free download a month is chosen by Nintendo because if they offered all VC games with online the player base would be split and you'd never find enough people for a match. Whereas with this method, everyone who's downloading the game is part of the same player pool.

I'm confused, do you get two games free a month? One to keep and one to try for 30 days?

Reports suggested the free NES and SNES games were yours to play for a month and then disappear.

Is Switch expensive really?

If they wanted to hit $299 then this would have been sub £250 before Brexit. Would people be moaning at £250? Yes the extra controllers are expensive but again you can probably put the best part £10 of this cost down the weak pound.

It's 330 euros on Amazon France, £290. What were you saying about Brexit?

Just reading that Skylanders Imaginators on the Switch doesn't use a Portal of Power and that the Skylanders are scanned in at the same place as amiibos. Which is weird because Skylanders are RFID and amiibo are NFC (which is a subset of RFID). It also says that the switch version of Imaginators won't support vehicles or traps.

the free game a month is exactly like PS+. As long as you download within that free month it's yours to keep as long as you're subscribed.

That's MUCH more like it.

I'm hoping they'll introduce games from other consoles a bit more quickly than with the Wii U though. We had up to Wii on the Wii U... but it looks like all the worth while Wii U games will already be sold as full switch games anyway so... probably just up to the Wii again :D

I'm confused, do you get two games free a month? One to keep and one to try for 30 days?

Reports suggested the free NES and SNES games were yours to play for a month and then disappear.

Unless Nintendo have changed their stance, she's got it wrong. You get it for 30 days and then you lose it as it makes way for the next title.

I listen to this podcast every week and this episode was recorded live, just after the conference. There was still a lot of info coming through as the guys were discussing the conference itself and I doubt she saw the press release/PR about the VC.

@liger05 was just listening to it on my drive home and was wondering why nobody was hyped about it. Hyped again and can see why the joycons and pro controller are expensive. It is likened to the Vive in the talk and it's noted how it blows motion control and the PSMove away and that the camera is the real deal, working like a Kinect 2.0. It was also fascinating where she (sounded like a guy on the poscaat?!) talks about how "this thing is a dream to develop for" and how they make an educated guess as to the VC. Shame they got the analogue triggers wrong but yeah, tired etc.

I'm not her biggest fan, but the way she spoke about the system was fascinating. Went into a lot of detail about a number of things which really got me hyped. Anyone who's still on the fence, give it a listen, really insightful stuff.

It's 330 euros on Amazon France, £290. What were you saying about Brexit?

It's also pretty expensive in Canada and Australia. Gui from RadioFreeNintendo was saying how it's too expensive over there ( Canada ).

I'm not her biggest fan, but the way she spoke about the system was fascinating. Went into a lot of detail about a number of things which really got me hyped. Anyone who's still on the fence, give it a listen, really insightful stuff.

I used to like her but she became very annoying the more she appeared on the podcast. A lot of the time she talks as if her opinions are facts, despite being wrong about multiple things in the past. Also, she's very up herself. Still, I agree, she done a good job of talking about the Joy-Con.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
Automerged Doublepost

it's speed class U3, which is about as good as it gets currently (what speed can switch reach??)

it's 3 times faster than a regular class 10 card, so quite nice :)

I found this for a 256Gb microsd...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Memory-Cards/256GB-Micro-memory-card-free-adapter-FREE/B01LWRPBDB/ref=sr_1_34?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1484590142&sr=1-34&keywords=256Gb+micro+sd

For those wanting HICH speeds and HICH quality :shakehead and also to be double sure it is water proof (though apparently not so resistant to knocks and bumps....)

also good for transferring data "rqpidement" :wtf:

But yeah, that 128Gb card looks ok.

On another note, pretty much everyone is talking about how great the screen on this thing is, which is really encouraging. Apparently it's bright and very vibrant. If you throw in multitouch and haptic feedback onto that, bodes well...

On another note, pretty much everyone is talking about how great the screen on this thing is, which is really encouraging. Apparently it's bright and very vibrant. If you throw in multitouch and haptic feedback onto that, bodes well...

This is good news as that was the main issue I had with the Wii U.

I always remember being amused / annoyed at Kirby's 'Fuzzy Feet' as @RedShell so awesomely put it :laughing: when playing Rainbow Paintbrush on the game pad.

Excellent to hear that the screen quality is much better! :hehe:

The screen quality is absolutely amazing on it. Hell, the whole thing is amazing and well worth it.

I wonder if the screen will use the NVIDIA Shield screen technology 'DirectStylus 2' which allows you to use a thin tipped stylus. It's still working within the bounds of a capacitive screen but, other than the squidgy end, I don't really notice the difference when using my Shield with it.

The screen quality is absolutely amazing on it. Hell, the whole thing is amazing and well worth it.

Does that now mean you think the wii u gamepad is nothing but a fisher price toy in comparison?

I think Jim is jumping the gun and forcing things a bit here, I completely accept being disappointed in their vagueness about the online service and virtual console, but I think his fury about the online service is completely misplaced at the moment because we simply don't know enough to think positively or negatively about it. He makes valid points about the accessories being overpriced and the lack of launch games, but the majority of the episode is just Jim on auto-pilot based on conjecture. I'm trying to remain impartial and hear his points but he does seem particularly annoying in this episode.

I think Jim is jumping the gun and forcing things a bit here, I completely accept being disappointed in their vagueness about the online service and virtual console, but I think his fury about the online service is completely misplaced at the moment because we simply don't know enough to think positively or negatively about it. He makes valid points about the accessories being overpriced and the lack of launch games, but the majority of the episode is just Jim on auto-pilot based on conjecture. I'm trying to remain impartial and hear his points but he does seem particularly annoying in this episode.

That's the first video of his that I've ever watched and I agree with what he said 100%. I found it very hard to disagree with him on this.

Talking of online.... If the Switch has online akin to the Wii U, I may get it as a tablet (assuming the browser wouldn't require payment of the subscription fee :D)

I love the net access on the Wii U, far superior to my phone, lighter than my laptop, superior (imo) to a tablet access (I despise mobile variants of websites) and portable unlike my PC. The only issue is it isn't AS portable as I would like, some rooms it won't work in or it cuts out in specific areas. Switch no having to communicate with a base console wouldn't have the issue so.... I guess we won't know about that till a lot closer to the launch date though :(

Talking of online.... If the Switch has online akin to the Wii U, I may get it as a tablet (assuming the browser wouldn't require payment of the subscription fee :D)

I love the net access on the Wii U, far superior to my phone, lighter than my laptop, superior (imo) to a tablet access (I despise mobile variants of websites) and portable unlike my PC. The only issue is it isn't AS portable as I would like, some rooms it won't work in or it cuts out in specific areas. Switch no having to communicate with a base console wouldn't have the issue so.... I guess we won't know about that till a lot closer to the launch date though :(

I'm pretty sure the Switch won't have a browser. Can't remember where I heard / read it but it's apparently not packing one.

I love Jim, and he's usually right. I agree he's jumping the gun with regards to online, we simply don't know enough yet, but his general criticisms of Nintendo as a company are wholly justified.

I watched it and agree with you. We get it, Nintendo don't always make the best decisions... People just want to vent year in and year out. Its that flogging a dead horse mentality I don't quiet get - surely, as adults if you really don't like something you just leave it alone/move on?

Youtubers like Shokio make 30 min videos of sheer disgust at Nintendo and its Switch unveiling but then at the very end states he will be day oneing it though...LMAO :laughing:

I thought Jim video was pretty bang on regarding the online services announced so far and crazy prices for games and accessories announced.

And that's from someone who is hoping to buy day 1

Edited by khilafah

I'm pretty sure the Switch won't have a browser. Can't remember where I heard / read it but it's apparently not packing one.

This would be bonkers... Also worried about the lack of video/tv on the UI, so no streaming apps? This thing is a tablet, perfect for web browsing and streaming Netflix... oh Nintendo!

This would be bonkers... Also worried about the lack of video/tv on the UI, so no streaming apps? This thing is a tablet, perfect for web browsing and streaming Netflix... oh Nintendo!

I think people are just saying that based on what we've seen of the UI, unless it has been confirmed and I've missed it.

If it doesn't have one, it's probably for security, some of the exploits use the internet browser as the entry point.

It'll probably have one in some capacity as it'll need one to open the eShop.