NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

At least with the PS4/XBO you knew at launch there wouldn't be gimped online services and also there were a plethora of 3rd party games in the pipeline.

Yeah I've basically already said that.

But then at least with Nintendo you know that their first party support is going to be stellar. That's the main reason I buy into their consoles, personally. I'd love to have the promise of a great online structure and honestly thought we were going to get something substantial with Switch. That's what's so disappointing.

The funny thing with the online aspects of Switch is that they're actually pretty forward thinking really. It's a completely bizarre way of going about things compared to the past, but it's certainly not backwards.

I'm still of the opinion that we may well see Streetpass and Miiverse return through mobile apps and integration with Switch games. Nintendo have clearly gone all-in with smartphone integration in a way that nobody really has done before (it's basically a requirement for anything that involves online with this thing!) and they have conceded that almost everyone on the planet has a smartphone and carries it around with them everywhere they go. So why not take advantage of that? The logic is there, but it all comes down to how exactly they integrate it...

At least with the PS4/XBO you knew at launch there wouldn't be gimped online services and also there were a plethora of 3rd party games in the pipeline.

It did take a really long time to get there though. The first year of the PS4 and Xbone really were shockingly anemic (and that's not through lack of support, but simply because games just take too much time and manpower to make these days).

3 hours to charge is not good for a modern portable device like this. No quick charge.

It probably is using quick charge technology, considering that it's using USB C. The battery just so happens to be honkingly massive.

Edited by Dcubed

Has it actually been confirmed that this has analogue triggers?

Right from the first reveal of this thing I thought they didn't look like triggers at all and after seeing more they still just look like buttons. If this is the case then it's another baffling and ridiculous decision! They talked about how they've incorporated aspects of all other consoles into this one, surely if they had good analogue triggers with an extra click at the end they would have mentioned that when talking about the GameCube instead of the fucking ridiculous handle/portability bollocks they talked about.

It just seems once again that they take a couple of steps forward and then 20 back.

However the most infuriating thing? Despite it being so expensive, seemingly poorly implemented online with a stupid app and the joke of a rental game for a month with the paid online I've still put down a preorder, mainly because Breath of the Wild looks so good and I no longer have a Wii U to play it on.

Fuck you Nintendo, you money grabbing bastards :heh:

Nintendo are like a pet dog.

They used to be amazing, you used to have the best of times, so much fun. Now they're old, on their last legs, deaf and half blind.

It needs putting down but you love it and it pains you to do so!

Come on dude, lol, what christmas cracker are you getting these from?

Im seeing potentially the best iterations of Mario and Zelda in 3D, the potential of a full Pokemon game on a home console, Gamecube VC games, a neatly designed console with both core and casual OPTIONS.

If its the VC that has you down, if Clownferret's theory is right, then thats an ingenious move - as you wouldn't be about to voice chat on the go without that link with your phone.

Its not THAT bad folks!

The funny thing with the online aspects of Switch is that they're actually pretty forward thinking really. It's a completely bizarre way of going about things compared to the past, but it's certainly not backwards.

I'm still of the opinion that we may well see Streetpass and Miiverse return through mobile apps and integration with Switch games. Nintendo have clearly gone all-in with smartphone integration in a way that nobody really has done before (it's basically a requirement for anything that involves online with this thing!) and they have conceded that almost everyone on the planet has a smartphone and carries it around with them everywhere they go. So why not take advantage of that? The logic is there, but it all comes down to how exactly they integrate it...

It did take a really long time to get there though. The first year of the PS4 and Xbone really were shockingly anemic (and that's not through lack of support, but simply because games just take too much time and manpower to make these days).

It probably is using quick charge technology, considering that it's using USB C. The battery just so happens to be honkingly massive.

Quick charge is dependent on the chipset. I'm not sure USB C means abutting in that regard.

Personally I'd just wait until you need the storage. The longer you wait, the cheaper the SD Cards will become. 256GB ones will probably go down to the same price as a 128GB one within the year, as 512GB ones become common (and take the place of the 256GB ones).

I reckon that was the original plan, before the pound tanked hard.

But Reggie said they targeted $299 in the states which again the reaction has been surprise. People hoping for $249.

Seems like this is the price point they were always looking at.

Looking at splatoon web page, and miiverse... I'm thinking if they incorporate those ideas neatly into an app it could be pretty good.

I am disappointed with the price, but I was already looking at getting the switch 2018 anyway, the price is likely to have dropped/game bundles released by that time. I'm considering zelda at the moment, but it's not 100% certain right now, my spare time has dropped drastically and I'm just not finding the time for gaming as it is.

Just was thinking that the Wii U was £299/$349 for deluxe edition. At least that included Nintendo Land. But after the initial early adopters that would've bought at launch at any price, it spectacularly bombed. It was too expensive.

Initial outlay on Switch + a game is looking to be at least £320. More like £340 if you want Zelda. You could say that's inflation/Brexit/whatever. I say it's a poor decision.

It's still too bloody expensive, especially when you consider Nintendo's position in the market today. They went into the Wii U arguably as market leader. Now they're playing catch-up.

But Reggie said they targeted $299 in the states which again the reaction has been surprise. People hoping for $249.

Seems like this is the price point they were always looking at.

That's the US price though. I seriously doubt that £279.99 was the price they were aiming at.

Just was thinking that the Wii U was £299/$349 for deluxe edition. At least that included Nintendo Land. But after the initial early adopters that would've bought at launch at any price, it spectacularly bombed. It was too expensive.

Initial outlay on Switch + a game is looking to be at least £320. More like £340 if you want Zelda. You could say that's inflation/Brexit/whatever. I say it's a poor decision.

It's still too bloody expensive, especially when you consider Nintendo's position in the market today. They went into the Wii U arguably as market leader. Now they're playing catch-up.

It's also not great value for money when you factor in that it'll most likely have the smallest long-term library of games due to third party support either drying up or just not being there from the start. If the system is considerably weaker than the One/PS4 and is closer to the PS3/360 (which is what has been said), then that's going to make things even harder when it comes to porting across those top tier games which the system needs to survive.

If it's not going to get the multiplatforms, then you look at exclusives. Obviously, you have the Nintendo games. But, if the system isn't selling (for whatever reason) and non-Nintendo software isn't shifting on the Switch, then where is the incentive for other big name developers to come and make exclusive games or titles specifically for the Switch? That's what we mean when we talk about third party support. We are talking about two things: multiplatforms and exclusives.

I worry for the system as it's coming off the back of a failure. This could have long-term implications for Nintendo.

The pound is 100% in the shitter. No, we haven't left, but there have been massive economic shifts due to it, most notably in the value of the £

For someone who likes to highlight other people's supposed hyperbole so often - you seem rather cavalier about doing so yourself. GBP still has a lot of potential to be much, much more fucked up.

Don't get me wrong, global market/economy and knock on from things like the EU/Brexit/maybe even Trump will affect prices - but it's not just affecting prices for Nintendo. At the price it is now, I can see the Switch ended up as bad as if not worse than the Wii U. You NEED the system to get a decent install base as any foundation - and with a price so many seem to be finding prohibitive, everything else will subsequently fall down around it.

I'm presuming the game being discussed above is 1,2, Switch? Looks like it'd be a fun little thing - but feels from a time gone by and not something I'm really too fussed with for the Switch's base price, and especially not if it's some full priced retail additional.

EDIT: Seems I was a page or two behind, by game above I meant Glen-I's gif of a dude eating a sandwich thing.

I think this is a soft launch, aimed at allowing them to build up manufacturing and cancel out the scalper situation. In a few months time, I am sure they will offer a bonus too NNID's linked to an early switch... free online, free games whatever. I think the Switch will work it's way down in price as manufacturing picks up pace (best case scenario).

They'll hope Zelda will carry the first 2 million in March and early April, Mario Kart in late April to

early May, E3 promise in June. July coast it a bit. In August I can see the online being rolled out in a limited version, current owners being told they'll get a perk (something like the premium program on the Wii U? we can only dream I guess :P) and the price will drop, or a game will be bundled in with the console. Then in November a relaunch with which ever of the aforementioned options was not used in August to pick up sales in the US for black friday, and in the EU for Christmas. So for those of us willing to wait, £250 with a bundled game. Those wanting the console from March, £340 with a game.

Has it actually been confirmed that this has analogue triggers?

This is what Ashley said earlier in the thread:

The shoulder buttons are not analogue. The back pair feel slightly, but it's certainly not GameCube.

Can anyone help: What was that RPG styled in 16-bit but with HD effects?

Do you mean Project Octopath Traveller?

EDIT: Nintenja'd

It's also not great value for money when you factor in that it'll most likely have the smallest long-term library of games due to third party support either drying up or just not being there from the start.

What about 3ds developers?

Yeah I've basically already said that.

But then at least with Nintendo you know that their first party support is going to be stellar. That's the main reason I buy into their consoles, personally. I'd love to have the promise of a great online structure and honestly thought we were going to get something substantial with Switch. That's what's so disappointing.

You say this and, whilst I can in one way agree, I find that I have to point out one great thing that bothered me about Wii U.

I don't feel Nintendo did a good enough job of supporting their own touted asymmetrical experiences and gamepad approach. I, to date, don't think I've seen anything I felt make a greater use of the gamepad and asymmetrical gaming than Nintendoland - a bloody launch title for it.

Sure they made some good and Nintendo-esque games for the system - but I don't feel any really utilised the gamepad appraoch that I'd essentially been sold the system on and bought into. Given they seem to be going for a bit of a gimmicky thing with the JoyCons but I don't believe the Switch is going to do as well as they expect, I don't have much faith in them this time either.

It's really interesting to see how WiIU and Switch systems are different from Nintendo's typical successes. Typically they use ageing tech in new ways meaning it is cheap but surprising to customers. Handheld power isn't particularly surprising when we've seen the Shield/Vita; but the race to the bottom in regards to price in mobile gaming and the AAA mainstream charts of consoles is changing gaming. Nintendo should have come out fighting with a lower price point but why risk it if you've millions of switch views on YouTube and only launch with 2million worldwide. Financially it's better to come out high and then reduce. I'm sure we'all see a price reduction when this fails to shift big numbers. E3 should be fascinating too...

Looking at splatoon web page, and miiverse... I'm thinking if they incorporate those ideas neatly into an app it could be pretty good.

I am disappointed with the price, but I was already looking at getting the switch 2018 anyway, the price is likely to have dropped/game bundles released by that time. I'm considering zelda at the moment, but it's not 100% certain right now, my spare time has dropped drastically and I'm just not finding the time for gaming as it is.

I really hope you're right Pestneb. It's the only last light I can see for them/it. I find it increasingly difficult to make much sense of this whole thing the more I think about it.

EDIT: Not related to the above but in terms of phones for voice chat - they should at least have had some fkin sense to pack a headset in with Switch for customers who don't have one. The PS4 standard headset is actually pretty great - something just like that would have been fine and will piss less people off when they find out they have to use their phone for voice chat and online etc.

Sure they made some good and Nintendo-esque games for the system - but I don't feel any really utilised the gamepad appraoch that I'd essentially been sold the system on and bought into. Given they seem to be going for a bit of a gimmicky thing with the JoyCons but I don't believe the Switch is going to do as well as they expect, I don't have much faith in them this time either.

But now we at least have some great games announced and it looks like they weren't rushed, plus the gimmick they are using this time (again) is easier to produce games for.

We already have Zelda, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, new 3D Mario and all of these games looked great in trailers. We have 2 racing games announced, sports games (NBA, FIFA, Ubisoft), Mario Kart (with improved battle mode, but I get the problem here), few JRPGs, we can expect a new Pikmin game, other games are announced, so at least the first year should be great.

It's really interesting to see how WiIU and Switch systems are different from Nintendo's typical successes. Typically they use ageing tech in new ways meaning it is cheap but surprising to customers. Handheld power isn't particularly surprising when we've seen the Shield/Vita; but the race to the bottom in regards to price in mobile gaming and the AAA mainstream charts of consoles is changing gaming. Nintendo should have come out fighting with a lower price point but why risk it if you've millions of switch views on YouTube and only launch with 2million worldwide. Financially it's better to come out high and then reduce. I'm sure we'all see a price reduction when this fails to shift big numbers. E3 should be fascinating too...

Failing to shift at launch price isn't an option?

That would be the third platform on the bounce failing to sell units out of the gate. Financially it isn't good if you have units stuck on shelves.

My thoughts:

Still getting it day one - Zelda is the obvious system seller for me and the Switch itself looks like a decent bit of kit... I really want to experience the versatility of on-screen and handheld mode.

I didn't go in expecting third parties at every turn, and a 'strong' third party line-up is not an indication of continued strong third party support (ala the Wii U). I was prepared for a Nintendo-centric box and outside of the Mario (and Zelda) I wanted for like 10 years, we still know nothing about the likes of Pikmin 4, Pokemon, Metroid, Smash etc etc.

The Wii-esque stuff looks fun and as we know can capture the casual crowd, especially having the gimmick of "play anywhere"... I know these hipsters will love playing 1 2 Switch out in the parks come summer. My non-gaming girlfriend was pleasantly surprised with the possibilities of getting a work-out with a game like Arms.

Also felt the conference was more about raw details for the press, not an E3 like extravaganza... But seeing Nintendo up on stage live with the new faces felt invigorating... a new energy is present. And I'm seeing that with every new trailer of Breath of the Wild they show.

I think the future is looking good for Nintendo, they are evolving and I trust they are going to back the Switch with more intent than they did with the Wii U.

Nobody is gonna be playing 1-2 switch. Anyone who thinks this is gonna be popular is living in a fantasy land

How are people "sure" they'd reduce the price?! They didn't do so with the WiiU!