NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Bandai Namco really quietly announced Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 is coming to the Switch along with new Tales and Taiko Drum Master games.

How quietly you ask? Well, read the press release: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/289195/BANDAI_NAMCO_Entertainment_America_Inc_Confirms_Dragon_BallXENOVERSE_2_Working_Title_Coming_to_Nintendo_Switch_in_theAmericas_with_Tales_of_and_Taiko_Drum_Master_in_Development.php

I somehow managed to make our story longer than the press release.

cool.. least we can import Taiko Drum Master now.

Zelda, Mario, Xenoblade 2, Splatoon 2, Skyrim and Mario Kart 8 deluxe made it for me. Even Arms interests me as a good game for me and my son. The screen looks amazing, the visuals for a tablet are beautiful (I paid more than this rrp for a nVidia Shield portable).

True, they could have went in to further details but you lot have been sucked in by negative comments elsewhere I believe. Feck the negativity, I'm hyped.

With no region locking do you reckon we will have access to the JPN/US eshop content?

Was actually hoping to also have access to nVidia GRID service.

Edited by Kaxxx
Automerged Doublepost

This is defiantly a console you can take on the go rather than vice versa.

Size: Vertical 102mm × horizontal 239mm x thickness 13.9mm (when Joy-Con mounting ※)

※ maximum thickness of from analog stick tip to the ZL / ZR projection part is 28.4mm

Mass: Approximately 297g

(Joy-Cons attached: about 398g)

Built-in battery: Lithium-ion battery / battery capacity 4310 mAh

※ The internal battery can not be removed. If it is necessary to exchange it, we will exchange it for a fee at Nintendo service center (online repair reception).

Battery duration: About 2.5 to 6.5 hours

Duration varies depending on the playing software. For example, "Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild" is about 3 hours.

Charging time: About 3 hours

※ time is when the unit is charging to sleep the body. (Google Translate)

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/hardware/...s/index.html#1

3 hours to charge is not good for a modern portable device like this. No quick charge.

True, they could have went in to further details but you lot have been sucked in by negative comments elsewhere I believe. Feck the negativity, I'm hyped.

I hope you're not lumping me in with that group.

The only reason I'm not getting it at launch is because I probably won't have the money by March 3rd. I'd totally buy one instantly if I did.

The only real downside for me is the paid online service. But that just means I don't have to bother buying multiplayer focused games like Mario Kart.

Zelda, Mario, Xenoblade 2, Splatoon 2, Skyrim and Mario Kart 8 deluxe made it for me. Even Arms interests me as a good game for me and my son. The screen looks amazing, the visuals for a tablet are beautiful (I paid more than this rrp for a nVidia Shield portable).

I don't think anyone here has been sucked in by the negativity from elsewhere. We are all adults and quite capable of making up our own minds. The big reveal of the Switch has been a mess for the majority of people. It's that simple.

It's not hard to see why people are negative though. The console is launching mid generation, with a high price point, terrible launch line up, overly priced accessories and an online system that is baffling and, from the sounds of it, not even ready.

While I'm looking forward to Mario and Xenoblade 2, those are a long way off. Id be surprised if X2 even launches this year, despite them pegging it as a 2017 release.

My thoughts:

Still getting it day one - Zelda is the obvious system seller for me and the Switch itself looks like a decent bit of kit... I really want to experience the versatility of on-screen and handheld mode.

I didn't go in expecting third parties at every turn, and a 'strong' third party line-up is not an indication of continued strong third party support (ala the Wii U). I was prepared for a Nintendo-centric box and outside of the Mario (and Zelda) I wanted for like 10 years, we still know nothing about the likes of Pikmin 4, Pokemon, Metroid, Smash etc etc.

The Wii-esque stuff looks fun and as we know can capture the casual crowd, especially having the gimmick of "play anywhere"... I know these hipsters will love playing 1 2 Switch out in the parks come summer. My non-gaming girlfriend was pleasantly surprised with the possibilities of getting a work-out with a game like Arms.

Also felt the conference was more about raw details for the press, not an E3 like extravaganza... But seeing Nintendo up on stage live with the new faces felt invigorating... a new energy is present. And I'm seeing that with every new trailer of Breath of the Wild they show.

I think the future is looking good for Nintendo, they are evolving and I trust they are going to back the Switch with more intent than they did with the Wii U.

I think the future is looking good for Nintendo, they are evolving and I trust they are going to back the Switch with more intent than they did with the Wii U.

Well, they kinda have to. The Switch is putting all their eggs in one basket. With the 3DS on its last legs they won't have the luxury of having a handheld to prop up a failed console. It's all or nothing.

Well, they kinda have to. The Switch is putting all their eggs in one basket. With the 3DS on its last legs they won't have the luxury of having a handheld to prop up a failed console. It's all or nothing.

Exactly. Hence I anticipate a lot of good things coming.

Isn't the RRP just that and we could expect cheaper games than that (maybe not Zelda, but other games)?

I am still convinced that when it comes to games this will be one of the best if not the best console ever (because of the 3DS devs that eventualy will switch to NS), but we will need to be patient.

I only hope that they will make enough games where the extra staff in controllers will be utilized so we know why we have paid as much as we will pay (I am already happy with the gyro in pro controller).

Edited by Kounan

The only real downside for me is the paid online service. But that just means I don't have to bother buying multiplayer focused games like Mario Kart.

Isn't that just like £15 a year or something? We spend more on a cheeky Nandos...

To some extent I agree - even after the very positive initial presentation people found something to be hysterical about. (is it touchscreen?! Joy-cons too small! I hate the name 'joy-con'!...)

Price points can be changed. More games are coming. History has shown this. :cry:

Its especially annoying when the loudest critics end up caving in at some point anyway.

Edited by King_V
Automerged Doublepost

A couple of questions that I've thought about overnight:

1) Anybody who has used a JoyCon, how is the d-pad?

I hadn't ordered a Pro Controller because, to be honest, the money I had assigned towards the Nintendo Switch hasn't gone as far as I expected. I thought I'd be okay but I've just remembered the d-pad is actually just four buttons to mirror the ABXY.

2) We know it can use MicroSD cards but do we know if it supports USB drives when docked?

I had planned to buy a 200GB MicroSD like I use with my 3DS but it occurred to me that on the Wii U I'm using over 300GB of a 2TB USB HDD. So now I'm not sure which way to go. Do I need both? Would I get away with using a spare 128GB MicroSD in the Switch while buying a 2TB USB HDD to connect to the dock?

You can tell the Switch started out as an Iwata project that Kimishima took over.

Iwata: Let's combine the Wii and WiiU, that'll do it. That'll bring everyone back.

Kimishima: We probably best do something to improve the online and social features of this... best we can do now is add an app. It's too late to put in the device itself.

Isn't that just like £15 a year or something? We spend more on a cheeky Nandos...

That's not really an excuse though, is it? It basically gives them free reign to charge you anything but it's okay because it's cheaper than something else unrelated.

HOPEFULLY when we get more information on the online it won't sound as bad as it currently does.

EDIT: While on the subject of online:

Game are selling these. But what use would chat earbuds be for the Switch console if the chat is via a phone app...

Edited by V. Amoleo

That's not really an excuse though, is it? It basically gives them free reign to charge you anything but it's okay because it's cheaper than something else unrelated.

HOPEFULLY when we get more information on the online it won't sound as bad as it currently does.

At the end of the day its still a service that requires work and maintenance.

So having had a chance to reflect on the launch my main concerns are the launch line up which abysmal. But that said there are a number of games we know are in production and many more we saw clips of, so at the moment I'm expecting that between now and launch more of these will be officially announced. Otherwise it just seems Nintendo are thinking Zelda is all we need.

The price is disappointing but this may well change and in truth it's probably only £40 more than we were expecting. However I can't believe there is no pack in game and I can't believe 1-2 Switch is a retail game. At the very least they need to pack in a joycon in with this.

We simply don't know enough about the online to be getting our knickers in twist just yet. I do wonder in the voice chat app is because of the portability of Switch. So if you're out and about with your Switch but don't have wifi you can still party chat using the app and in fact thinking about it if that is the case it's actually a very clever idea.

Really not happy about paid online an if FIFA is gimped and missing UT I will blow my top.

The console itself seems to be a brilliant piece of kit but THAT LAUNCH LINE UP.

I will say this though. Everybody is/was very quick to defend PS4 for similar problems "launch line up doesn't matter" "paid online gets free games" so let's cool our heels a bit at least until we at least know the facts are.

EDIT: While on the subject of online:

Game are selling these. But what use would chat earbuds be for the Switch console if the chat is via a phone app...

So you can plug them into your phone 😁

Not sure I agree with the 'it's overpriced' compared to other consoles. It's overpriced compared to consoles now, yes. Which is obviously a no brainer if people had to choose which is better value. But at launch? Wasn't the PS4 like £350 with little to no games? not justifying the price of the Switch, although the price of the actual console isn't too much of a problem for me. It's the games prices and the stupid accessory prices that's my issue.

And lack of games, and app voice chat, and several other things etc. :P

Had more time to mull over this and I'm not as confused as yesterday.

It's a bit like when I bought my PS4. (Stick with me here...)

When I bought it I'd played it a games expo in Manchester. I played a few games and was impressed by the tech but knew there were only a couple of games I wanted. Resogun, Knack and Killzone just didn't appeal to me and I was already going to play Ass Creed Black Flag on WiiU. When the better games for me came closer to launching, I then bought the console on the impending release of those games and the existence of new bundles/Christmas pricing.

With the Switch I feel similar. I KNOW the software issues Nintendo used to face will be minimalised due to their restructure and 'all in one basket' approach. I know they've got more to show (Retro, VC, eShop for instance) and I know the pricing will change. I.E: when Mario hits at Christmas it will be a mainstream launch and all of the system's functions should be rounded out. If I remember, the PS4/XBone launched with features missing or not fully rounded. You can even see this in the ways both systems moved away from motion/camera gaming. The market will dictate Nintendo's direction to a degree - just like the 3DS soft-relaunch with new pricing/Mario Land/Kart being brought forward.

The March launch always concerned me. I just couldn't shake the N64 feeling of having a couple of gems that hard to last you months. Christmas will be the true litmus test for this system. Nintendo have had a slow start (surprisingly!), but they have to go big at E3 and up to Mario launching at Christmas to convince the market.

Edited by tapedeck

So I pre-ordered Zelda... on WiiU! Don't even care if it's gimped graphically or in scope - not that I've heard it is. I'm not paying £340 to play Zelda on the Switch and the nothing until Mario in December.

I find it odd that people are comparing the motion controls here to the use of motion controls in VR. VR motion controls work brilliantly because in VR they allow you to move around in those virtual worlds as if you were really there - they are an extension of your arms. They don't feel tacked on or gimmicky, they're essential.

I'm not ruling out buying a Switch one day but so far there is absolutely nothing positive I feel towards it. And at the moment I could easily afford to get one - I just really don't want to.

Not sure I agree with the 'it's overpriced' compared to other consoles. It's overpriced compared to consoles now, yes. Which is obviously a no brainer if people had to choose which is better value. But at launch? Wasn't the PS4 like £350 with little to no games? not justifying the price of the Switch, although the price of the actual console isn't too much of a problem for me. It's the games prices and the stupid accessory prices that's my issue.

And lack of games, and app voice chat, and several other things etc. :P

I do agree that you don't build a platform and then have to look at any price of said system compared to older platforms that now would be reduced in price.

However value is all in the eyes of the beholder. You can't get away from people seeing £280 and then maybe seeing Xbox S and thinking it's better value for money.

I don't think it's over priced compared to other consoles I just think it's overpriced when looking at it on its own merits.

I think they should of targeted £249 and gone from there.

Thanks a lot, that's great :).

Does anyone know how does the Switch work? Is it like mobile phones, where you have apps on your sd card, but some stuff is still on the internal memory?

It looks like the best way to go would be with 3-4 64GB cards if you want to go digital, as it is not to many cards as you will have a case for it anyway (the Switch needs it), or 2 64GB if you want to go physical (because of updates).

Personally I'd just wait until you need the storage. The longer you wait, the cheaper the SD Cards will become. 256GB ones will probably go down to the same price as a 128GB one within the year, as 512GB ones become common (and take the place of the 256GB ones).

I think they should of targeted £249 and gone from there.

I reckon that was the original plan, before the pound tanked hard.

I completely get that. But I don't think anyone saw monetary value in the PS4 to begin with either. It's the same with most console launches. How many people held off buying one until the price dropped and better games came out for it?

The value of today's console compared to what is offered with Switch is obviously night and day. But just comparing it to the other launches it's not extortionate. Sure, it isn't as accomplished as those other consoles are / were with online infrastructure etc, but then the Switch has its own set of pros with the ability to keep playing off the tv and away from home.

It's still a dear bloody do when you add everything up. It's always more sensible to wait these days anyway.

I completely get that. But I don't think anyone saw monetary value in the PS4 to begin with either. It's the same with most console launches. How many people held off buying one until the price dropped and better games came out for it?

The value of today's console compared to what is offered with Switch is obviously night and day. But just comparing it to the other launches it's not extortionate. Sure, it isn't as accomplished as those other consoles are / were with online infrastructure etc, but then the Switch has its own set of pros with the ability to keep playing off the tv and away from home.

It's still a dear bloody do when you add everything up. It's always more sensible to wait these days anyway.

At least with the PS4/XBO you knew at launch there wouldn't be gimped online services and also there were a plethora of 3rd party games in the pipeline.

Nintendo are like a pet dog.

They used to be amazing, you used to have the best of times, so much fun. Now they're old, on their last legs, deaf and half blind.

It needs putting down but you love it and it pains you to do so!

I get your point, feel the Switch is in a bit of a different situation. Wii U/PS4/Xbox One launching as what seemed expensive/not great value to start is a bit different, as they were start of a generation.

They were something new for people to upgrade to. They were almost creating a new market. Switch's problem is it is launching mid-generation into an already established market. Xbox One and PS4 were expensive on launch, but essentially just competing against each other.

If Sony/Microsoft were launching new generations of console as well, you're right, the Switch might not seem as bad in price. But as it is, it's got to compete with two established consoles, which aren't dying/at the end of their lifespan which you can pick up with a bundle of several games for £200-250.

As it is, I really see it struggling to pick up marketshare, especially in the UK.