NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

The shoulder buttons are not analogue. The back pair feel slightly, but it's certainly not GameCube.

My hope for racing games disappear

This really is sad.

My body was so ready at 4am this morning during that sexy 10 second countdown. And now it's like my body has been run over and tossed to the side of the road :weep:

The shoulder buttons are not analogue. The back pair feel slightly, but it's certainly not GameCube.

Are you sure they aren't? they'd never have gamecube levels of travel but if it feels slightly like they do then its possible they are or use some clever pressure sensitivity coupled with some hardware shenanigans

Clinging to that hope of Gamecube VC

There is something to them, but without software to verify it, it's difficult to confirm. There is a noticeable difference between the front and back ones. Front ones definitely aren't.

Watching the presentation now... love the release date, I'm on a ski trip March 15th so being able to take this with me is a big bonus.

1:The joycons are a brilliant piece of tech. I thought they looked really basic on the first reveal, but the shoulder buttons and camera etc are really impressive. Hats off to Nintendo for once again showing they are the kings of creating controllers.

2: 1-2 Switch and Arms cannot seriously be retail games, These HAVE to be pack in with the hope they sell systems the way Wii Sports did. I simply can't see these selling unless they come packaged with a joycon a'la Wii Play.

3: Mario is Mario. Will sell millions of copies and be the pinnacle of the game style.

4: Xenoblade and Dragons Quest whilst not appealing to me personally, I imagine these games have a core audience and will shift consoles. Very much aimed at the Japanese market.

5:Skyrim will sell a handful of copies.

6: Grasshopper? WTF.

7: EA... FIFA. Yes IF it has Ultimate Team. Why wouldn't they add this feature it generates extra revenue with very little work required if they are already patching across from over version. I spend most of gaming time on Fifa at present so this big news for me and as long as it has UT I don't really care if this is the only version of Fifa we get.

8: Zelda is Zelda. Had to be launch it's been in production FOREVER

9: Price. OUCH! That is steep. I paid £300 for Wii U which was packed with Zombi U and a pro controller. Hopefully retailers will put together some decent bundles.

10: Really not happy about a paid online subscription. I don't think this will be Sony/Microsoft levels of cost. I'd be stunned if it's more than £20 per year.

Edited by Clownferret

There is something to them, but without software to verify it, it's difficult to confirm. There is a noticeable difference between the front and back ones. Front ones definitely aren't.

Are there any Switch pro-controllers there to try out? How do the shoulder buttons feel on those? Analog?

Oh yeah, also is the screen glass or plastic?

Edited by Dcubed

Are there any Switch pro-controllers there to try out? How do the shoulder buttons feel on those? Analog?

They can't be analog because there is no way the shoulder buttons on the joycons are.

I'm starting to think i'm right about the voice chat being OS level and the APp thing is they typical miscommunication on nintendos part

I noticed a lot of the accessories are headphones with inline remotes/mic's and when ive checked GAF i'm not the only one to notice, some have even pointed out that the English language sites label the top port as a headphone jack, but the Japanese site lists it as a headphone AND mic jack

I'm wondering if they meant you can optionally connect your smart device to use as a mic?

Thinking a bit more about this here is what they could have done;

Switch; home console edition: dock/console (no screen) and a pro controller

Switch; joy home console edition: dock/console (no screen) joy controller

Switch; portable only: console with screen and a joy con, no dock etc

I just think it's trying too hard. How much could the price have been driven down with a home console edition and a pro controller? I don't really game on the go except the occasional Pokemon and hearthstone which I'm already covered for.

I think they NEED to do a smaller portable only one, which they can do with less high-spec stuff in the machine, for cheaper before they bring Pokémon on it

I got confused for a moment....................

It's certainly a mixed bag of comments across various sites, heck even in my local Streetpass group it's a little mixed.

Having now read through the pages of this thread since the presentation, I'm bewildered by some of the comments. Granted I was doing something else whilst watching the video so I may have missed some points but it seems like everybody is jumping to a lot of conclusions on here.

Having now read through the pages of this thread since the presentation, I'm bewildered by some of the comments. Granted I was doing something else whilst watching the video so I may have missed some points but it seems like everybody is jumping to a lot of conclusions on here.

I think it's more press releases afterwards too and game descriptions.

I think they NEED to do a smaller portable only one, which they can do with less high-spec stuff in the machine, for cheaper before they bring Pokémon on it

Don't think I could agree more with this. As things stand, it simply out-prices a lot of families, and let's not forget the potential downturn for damaging the console. What is it, ~£40/Joy-Con half? Wouldn't be surprised if we see a lot of insurance plans floating around for this.

Anyway, personally, I don't have a problem with the cost of the console: it's the first of its kind, and is cheaper overall than shelling out on both a 3DS and Wii U (at least based on their respective launch prices). I do understand the qualms many of you have with the prices we've seen floating around, which is why I plan on optimising my use of pre-order price guarantees. My biggest problem is the cost of everything else, though.

Based on GAME pre-order prices:

£65 for a pro controller, which is more-or-less Ninty's Dualshock? £114.97 (!!!) for another fully functioning Joy-Con controller (each Joy-Con half is £42.99, with the main body of the unifying controller being £27.99)? Some prices seem reasonable, such as the Joy-Con straps, some of the cases, and even the Joy-Con wheels. But since when do we have tiers for the prices of games? I mean, it makes sense - for example, 1-2 is £39.99 and is more-or-less just a Joy-Con game, whereas Zelda and other AAA titles have been optimised for both home and portable use - but the fact that we now have pricing tiers is bound to baffle the more casual of gamers, surely?

They felt the same.

Will check about the screen before confirming.

Apparently Amazon have sold out their preorders of Switch. As have amazon USA, Targrt and BestBuy.

Likely to be small numbers rather than demand though I'd imagine.

Apparently Amazon have sold out their preorders of Switch. As have amazon USA, Targrt and BestBuy.

They'll possibly get a lot of cancellations as well judging from a lot of our own comments here.

Yeah, no surprise that the 2 million are most likely already pre-ordered. With such a low number I would've been surprised if they hadn't sold out.

It was going to be a hard sell for Nintendo to get me to want the device. From the initial reveal trailer, I felt that there was a distinct whiff of a revised Wii U about the Switch, a Wii U 2.0 as it were. Having caught up with everything from the presentation there, it still very much feels like that and definitely feels as though it's unsure of its audience.

As a home console, which Nintendo have constantly stipulated it is regardless of the portability, it doesn't look great from the entry price point to the revealed software at launch and in the coming months. Sure, E3 may change that latter point, as its clear not all hands were played software wise, but it really doesn't give a strong indication of what's to come not give much incentive to invest off the bat from my perspective.

Hardware wise, it looks fine. Battery life is to be expected but more on board storage really should've been there. The joy cons just look horrendous and are clearly part of the big draw but to me, its wasted capital when that could have either been invested in beefing up storage space or reducing overall costs of the hardware. Yes, post brexit has hit the pound and that'll be a contributing factor to the price but generally speaking, it sounds and looks as though the main culprit in not getting a lower price is the joy cons and really, the thing could do without them or the exorbitant pro controller price. It's partly when, even with the Wii branding gone, there's still a whiff of the same mentality behind that here as there's more plastic needed to play your games, whether at home or on the go. When the General public see this, if they're not already put off by the price they'll not be too happy given the glut of accessories which clogged up homes for the Wii.

The online side of things is also a mess, in typical Nintendo fashion. I'm sure some of it has not come across as intended and may be fine in the end but the access to voice chat and friend invites through other smart devices, not the console itself is laughable in this day and age. It's obviously intended to reduce memory being taken up my OS level features, reducing strain form running games and giving a longer battery life, but its a frankly poor compromise. You'd hope that the dock for tv play would alleviate this in some way but unless Nintendo come round with this, it really is a bit of a mess.

Software wise as well, there was little there to entice people. Ill admit Zelda looks fantastic but considering you'll be able to pick up a Wii U cheap to play it, and the title will be cheaper on that platform (they just can't charge £60 for a Wii U title as no one will buy it), but everything else wasn't great. Ubisoft have shown how they'll support the platform, with accessible titles that don't stray into the more hard-core realms, when they could easily have dropped say Rainbow Six Siege or a Far Cry compilation. EA could've chucked out a redo of the Mass Effect trilogy with little work or Mirror's Edge Catalyst and Unravel but haven't. It seems they've gone Japan centric with the platform and titles and though you have Skyrim on the go as it were, its not going to pull many people in.

So from my perspective, they've a lot to do to make the platform attractive to gamers and developers alike. I was genuinely interested in seeing what the platform was going to be and having my mind changed but its confounded what I already thought. I only hope they can sort out some of these things quicker than with the Wii U otherwise it's going to be another limp fish from Nintendo.

But yeah, that trailer for Zelda looked incredible. Definitely made me want to play it but not fork out for new hardware. Will probably keep an eye out for deals on the Wii U or second hand ones if the temptation gets to me for playing that.

I think it's a compelling product but it's too expensive.

If I can find it at £230 with Zelda or Mario, then I might bite.

I don't think I'll bother paying for online because I already have PSN and the awkward need for a smartphone is a little too convoluted for my liking.

I was hoping to see Pokemon but...yeah...disappointed.

The only thing holding me back is the price. It's simply too expensive - I liked the games, I liked the design, I like the whole concept. I like everything about it but it's simply way overpriced.

I'm going to Sweden on February 3rd to try it so I can decide then but at the moment I'm not sure. I just want to play Zelda.

It's also VERY inconvenient that both Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart 8 are not available at launch. That's simply a bad decision to wait two months with Mario Kart 8.

Really? Normally they don't let you preorder or put a note on the page if that happens, but looks business as usual on the product page.

Edit: never mind, seen the note now.

I just pre ordered on Amazon. I did one this morning but was Grey so cancelled and now ordered the colored version.