NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Guys

Please point me to a launch line-up which isn't one or two great games in a pile of the rest being mediocrity

Just because launches are generally shit doesn't make it any less shit. Nintendo have got in huge trouble before for lack of early adoptions and that could repeat itself.

The important thing though is that Zelda is a launch title and that's enough for people to slam that cash down.

After calming down, I'm agreeing with the rest of you. No pre-order for me either, and probably not a launch day buy for me either. There is so much left unsaid, and until we have all the information on the table, this is going to be a tough sell. I mean, I think the presentation was great, but it was lacking in 3rd party games and launch details.

I'm probably gonna get it eventually, but when that is, I have no idea.

I hope the price for online service is dead cheap, like £2 per month or something. Otherwise they really need a good structure for online, and I'm not getting that vibe from the smartphone app :P.

Wait it's £279.99?! Oh fucking hell. £250 should have been the very maximum, even with tax factored in, to just give it that little bit of an edge.

Guys

Please point me to a launch line-up which isn't one or two great games in a pile of the rest being mediocrity

Clam down homie. You realise the one great game on Switch is also coming out on Wii U, right? £280 is a lot of money.

The console definitely has promise but £280 for those games...Na, I'm happy to wait it out :) Oh and as for launches, SNES (SMW), N64 (SM64), Xbox 360, Gamecube, Wii and OG Xbox all had fairly awesome launches :)

Clam down homie. You realise the one great game on Switch is also coming out on Wii U, right? £280 is a lot of money.

The console definitely has promise but £280 for those games...Na, I'm happy to wait it out :) Oh and as for launches, SNES (SMW), N64 (SM64), Xbox 360, Gamecube, Wii and OG Xbox all had fairly awesome launches :)

Yes, they had one or two games that were great at launch, and the rest were middling at best.

Hell, for fuck's sake, the Nintendo64 launched with TWO games.

Yes thats true, the star game is also being released on a console already available.

FIFA and nothing else?

Yikes, they must have no fate in Nintendo consoles at all. Was hoping for a port of Battlefield 1 or Mass Effect Andromeda.

And in regards to the Zelda trailer... F**KING VOICE ACTING! And not just in the intro, but seemingly throughout the entire game.

I think they are legally obligated by their FIFA contract to create and release that game. it's basically a no show from EA. I suspect they'll mess it up like the Wii U one as well.

I spoke on Amazon chat who said they had the following information "Please be advised that Nintendo Switch will be available to pre-order from 06:00 GMT Friday, 13 January, 2017. Due to limited stock we are only able to offer one unit per customer per address. We will be fulfilling customer orders in the order in which they were placed."

So it does indeed seem to be a 6AM preorder time and not just a mistake. Odd choice of timezone though.

Just to point out that this doesn't seem to be the case, the note on Amazon saying "7 AM BST" has been changed to just "7 AM", so if anyone is interested in a pre-order with Amazon...the time changed. By an hour. Which is always fun.

This is a Japanese console first and foremost, America second with us Brits/Europeans last on the list; so in many respects business's as usual for Nintendo's focus.

That price is expensive but what do we expect after Brexit? In Japan and America that's not too bad for what you're getting, over here it's out of my price range on launch I'm pretty sure.

Using a smartphone app for online features is a brilliant move, certainly in Japan; people already have one, they like to keep using it anyway and it free's up the console power, I actually think that idea is incredibly forward thinking and clever.

Sadly the presentation overall was fairly underwhelming, I feel like I've just watched a season finale episodes of Lost; I've gained some answers but there were so many opportunities missed and more questions have been left than before!

Yes, they had one or two games that were great at launch, and the rest were middling at best.

Hell, for fuck's sake, the Nintendo64 launched with TWO games.

But that was back in the 90s. Attitudes and expectations have changed. Its not just the launch though is it:

- its the price

- online connectivity - what are we getting for our money? An app?

- where's the games?

- 3rd party

Goodness knows what this means for Pokémon fans currently on the Switch.

Bank has proved somewhat divisive to the fan base, but if a Nintendo Subscription is required to use online features to enable Bank? Even more divisive. Even more costly.

And then there's the fact that parents are not going to want to shell out £50/60 for one game when before that meant 2 or 3 on the DS/3DS. Even more divisive in the U.K.

Edited by Julius Caesar

I think the Switch will be pretty great by the end of this year, but it's a pretty easy pass until then. What a shame.

Goodness knows what this means for Pokémon fans currently.

Bank has proved somewhat divisive to the fan base, but if a Nintendo Subscription is required to use online features to enable Bank? Even more divisive. Even more costly.

And then there's the fact that parents are not going to want to shell out £50/60 for one game when before that meant 2 or 3 on the DS/3DS. Even more divisive in the U.K.

Yeah they fucked up there. Seems it was 7AM and the timezone was a cockup.

I swear to god, Nintendo could grind newborn babies up and sell them as dog food and Serebii would still defend them!

(It's just a bit of banter Serebii)

Absurd UK Pricing...it's unfortunately but look at the exchange rate of the pound compared to every other currency.

The pound is in the shitter so this sort of stuff is expected.

Then sell at a small loss. £280 is crazy.

Absurd UK Pricing...it's unfortunately but look at the exchange rate of the pound compared to every other currency.

The pound is in the shitter so this sort of stuff is expected.

The pound being in the shitter means that its even less likely to be a success when you up the price though.

And the N64 launched with Super Mario 64, which was a ground breaking game experience that was exclusive to the system, Breath Of The Wild might well be as good a game as Mario 64 but we'll be able to play it on a console most of us already own, it makes paying an extra £279.99 infinitely less palatable.

This is interesting...

"Subscribers will get to download and play a NES or SNES game (with newly added online play) for free a month."

Online Super Mario Kart?

EDIT: Ninja'd

Very annoyed at the monthly subscription though. I'm not able to play online whenever I like and feel like I'd be screwed over there...

wouldn't you be able to go out and grab wifi from a coffee shop or something like that?

As for the VC, This is basically how I will build a VC collection then. The added online play is interesting - the wording is ambiguous, is it only snes games? I would read it as [nes or snes game] both having online play. I wonder if we will have the choice, a limited choice or if we'll be told "this is the game you are going to enjoy"

I suspect £10 a month though at that price.

There are advantages to using an app for voice chat etc, I presume it would work on tablets as well..

For those upset, consider the practicalities, where would you put a microphone? on the main switch? the joy-cons? the pro controller? all three? sure they could have a headset (possibly they will have compatibility) but most people have phones/tablets so as a low price entry level the app (provided it is free!) seems an ok compromise.

Then sell at a small loss. £280 is crazy.

I'd be surprised if more than 500,000 of the 2 million units are for Europeans/Brits at this rate. So that's not such a crazy idea.

I can see it falling to £250 by the summer, if the pound stabilises. The extra £30 seems to be coming from Ninty wanting insurance that they'll make a profit.

The pound being in the shitter means that its even less likely to be a success when you up the price though.

And the N64 launched with Super Mario 64, which was a ground breaking game experience that was exclusive to the system, Breath Of The Wild might well be as good a game as Mario 64 but we'll be able to play it on a console most of us already own, it makes paying an extra £279.99 infinitely less palatable.

Yes, why immediately pay £279.99 at launch for a game that can be bought on a console we already own?

I think they've really cocked up the pricing here. I mean, it's £55 more than a PS4 slim is right now on Tesco. I'm not feeling the value for money here!

For those upset, consider the practicalities, where would you put a microphone? on the main switch? the joy-cons? the pro controller? all three? sure they could have a headset (possibly they will have compatibility) but most people have phones/tablets so as a low price entry level the app (provided it is free!) seems an ok compromise.

Making you require another expensive piece of technology to use voice chat is a crazy compromise, if using an app on a phone or tablet was an option then it would be okay, but they should at least have voice chat and other online features baked into the OS so that people can use headsets if they so wish.

And unfortunately you won't be able to build a VC library as you hope, the games are available to play for that month only and aren't accessible whenever you like as they are on PS Plus.

wouldn't you be able to go out and grab wifi from a coffee shop or something like that?

Coffee shop Wi-Fi? For online multiplayer? Yeah, that's not happening.

See? I'm the kind of guy who only plays stuff online for about 3 days of the week. Paying for that seems like a kick in the face to me.

If hardcore Nintendo fans are hesitant to buy it at launch for 279.99 who the hell will.

Remember getting a Gamecube for 130? That was amazing.

Before something sayss huurrr inflation, 1) not that much, 2) I'd pay more for a Gamecube than a switch at this point. Back then I was salvating at all the exclusives coming.

For that price I'd expect at least a pack in game, à la Nintendoland!

1 2 Switch would seem the most sensible, i.e. Pack in the multiplayer game that shows off your console; Wii Sports, Nintendo Land etc