NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

This is interesting...

"Subscribers will get to download and play a NES or SNES game (with newly added online play) for free a month."

Online Super Mario Kart?

EDIT: Ninja'd

Very annoyed at the monthly subscription though. I'm not able to play online whenever I like and feel like I'd be screwed over there...

Zelda is £59.99, so to get a Switch & Zelda on launch day will set you back £340, ouch. This and the poor sounding online have soured things a bit, and 1/2 Switch should be a pack in title not £40!

They really better have all previous VC titles available at or very, very near to launch. And if they ask us to rebuy again AND pay for online services that would be beyond a joke, basically backed themselves into a corner where they have to offer those things now.

The more I think about it, the more I think that this thing will really struggle to sell at that price, especially in the UK where you can get a PS4S or a XBO for £199-£249.

I'm genuinely not sure about whether or not it's even worth pre-ordering. I can wait for Zelda (or buy on Wii U). Even Splatoon and Mario Kart aren't massive draws for me now as you have to pay for online (which I was expecting anyway). I wish they spoke about VC :(

Japanese launch

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/software/switch/index.html

- Zelda Breath of the Wild

- 1 2 Switch

- Dragon Quest Heroes 1+2

- Nobunaga no Yabou Power Kit thingy

- I am Setsuna

- Puyo Puyo Tetris S

- Disgaea 5

- Super Bomberman R

I expected more.

Casual reminder that launch line-ups typically suck https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_console_launch_games

I missed the first 45 minutes where can I watch the whole presentation

Nintendo's official YouTube channel.

I think Nintendo are in big big trouble.

Voice chat for select games. Through an app? Everything over priced? Clearly underpowered and barely any 3rd party support. Not loads of games Shown. New games look limp.

They're going to struggle massively. Especially in the U.K.

But Zelda looks insanely good.

Zelda is £59.99, so to get a Switch & Zelda on launch day will set you back £340, ouch. This and the poor sounding online have soured things a bit, and 1/2 Switch should be a pack in title not £40!

They really better have all previous VC titles available at or very, very near to launch. And if they ask us to rebuy again AND pay for online services that would be beyond a joke, basically backed themselves into a corner where they have to offer those things now.

...ouch.

Pre-orders with sites/retailers who have pre-order price guarantees (ShopTo, Amazon, etc.) seem to be the best way to try to save on both the console and games, then.

Though, I'm not too surprised by this. They are eventually cutting off a dedicated portion of their revenue when it comes to games, so with Switch being a portable/home console hybrid it certainly makes sense, even if that price is still baffling.

I think Nintendo are in big big trouble.

Voice chat for select games. Through an app? Everything over priced? Clearly underpowered and barely any 3rd party support. Not loads of games Shown. New games look limp.

They're going to struggle massively. Especially in the U.K.

But Zelda looks insanely good.

Zelda is more or less their saving grace with Nintendo fans. It could potentially sell great in the Americas and Japan, as well as across Europe, but I can't see the mainstream audience even attempting to tap into this until prices start to tumble a bit in the U.K.

The more I think about it, the more I think that this thing will really struggle to sell at that price, especially in the UK where you can get a PS4S or a XBO for £199-£249.

I'm genuinely not sure about whether or not it's even worth pre-ordering. I can wait for Zelda (or buy on Wii U). Even Splatoon and Mario Kart aren't massive draws for me now as you have to pay for online (which I was expecting anyway). I wish they spoke about VC :(

Don't forget the crazy pro controller price.

What's this voice chat thing?

So you need a phone to use voice chat?

Also. It seems Mario kart doesn't have any new tracks. So web have to pay £50 for a game we've already paid full price for and dlc for some new characters and a battle mode. Fucking mental.

Don't forget the crazy pro controller price

Gosh darn, there's that too.

Pokémon has the right idea. Money is worthless. Let's start collecting bottle caps!

I thought it was rather weak overall. Launch games are poor and the online subscription means that Mario Kart and Splatoon are both dead to me, unless it's mega cheap.

If it makes you feel any worse, even Puyo-Puyo Tetris doesn't have a release date. Oh dear.

Man, when Reggie said "What games" he really meant it :D

Hopefully we get more details closer to launch, especially from partners such as Ubisoft. I've decided against pre-ordering; it will definitely not sell at that price in this economy and at this time of year.

Guys

Please point me to a launch line-up which isn't one or two great games in a pile of the rest being mediocrity

I was nailed on getting it at launch, now I'm considering just getting Zelda on Wii U instead.

I think that says it all really.

Man, when Reggie said "What games" he really meant it :D

Hopefully we get more details closer to launch, especially from partners such as Ubisoft. I've decided against pre-ordering; it will definitely not sell at that price in this economy and at this time of year.

I'd certainly recommend placing a pre-order with ShopTo or Amazon if I were you. The potential upside to their pre-order price guarantees is often very good, and if the price hasn't fallen considerably by launch, which it often does, then cancel the order? I saved £70 just the other month on the Pokémon Solgaleo/Lunala N3DS XL with Amazon.

But I agree. Barmy price point for this time of year.

The free online game given away in the subscription only lasts a month.

Guys

Please point me to a launch line-up which isn't one or two great games in a pile of the rest being mediocrity

It's not just the launch line up we're disappointed in, it's Nintendo's continued fumbling weirdness of the online experience and the absurd UK pricing.

It's a difficult time but they really need to be very careful with the European pricing. 30,000 yen is not bad over here in Japan where gaming on the go is still seen as acceptable and having a console that can do both will be attractive enough to probably sway people away from the base PS4 slim which costs the same.

But in the UK, pricing at £250 is going to mean you're more expensive than some of your competitors basic offerings. Tricky time for Nintendo, Brexit being a direct cause of it.

Going at current exchange rates anyhow, $299 equates to just under £250. Seems like the additional £30+ is Nintendo's insurance in the event that the strength of the £ continues to dwindle.

It's not just the launch line up we're disappointed in, it's Nintendo's continued fumbling weirdness of the online experience and the absurd UK pricing.

Absurd UK Pricing...it's unfortunately but look at the exchange rate of the pound compared to every other currency.

The pound is in the shitter so this sort of stuff is expected.