NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

I long for the day when Nintendo can be looked at by the average gamer as more than just a Mario or Zelda company. There are so many franchises under their wing and yet they keep pushing these two.

They're great franchises and sell well, and that is why other IPs might need a bit more of a push because the former are already guaranteed to sell.

I hope Metroid, Pikmin, F-Zero and Star Fox will one day be as important to Nintendo as Mario and Zelda, but I am not holding my breath.

I'd just love to see all the polished Nintendo games be the best in their respective genres under the Nintendo Seal of Quality.

We just need people to buy those games. Then they will make more.

If a Metroid game is coming on Switch. Every one of you damn well better buy it

Especially if it's Federation Force HD :p

Good praise... but should we worry about the bold bit? I doubt friend-codes will return but does this suggest a lack of social features..?

I've gotta admit, when I read that article this morning, alarm bells started ringing in my head for the very same reason that you are showing concern.

The majority of people on here are clearly going to still buy 3rd party games on their non Nintendo console, which makes the Switch very much their portable gaming device. In which case voice chat and social features are not so much of an issue as you won't be using them when out and about.

I really don't get the logic of people wanting versions of games that are excactly the same as PS4/XB1, just buy those games on those systems if you already own them. Nintendo are offering a new and unique system which offers some really great benefits to gamers. But it's always the same old "I'm not buying the Switch version as the graphics won't be as good"

Why not "Switch" the argument around and say I am buying the Switch version because of the things that game can't do on another console. My point is each console offers a certain amount of uniqueness but it always seems on here that whatever the benefits offered by Sony and Microsoft are always used as the most important features.

The majority of people on here are clearly going to still buy 3rd party games on their non Nintendo console, which makes the Switch very much their portable gaming device. In which case voice chat and social features are not so much of an issue as you won't be using them when out and about.

I really don't get the logic of people wanting versions of games that are excactly the same as PS4/XB1, just buy those games on those systems if you already own them. Nintendo are offering a new and unique system which offers some really great benefits to gamers. But it's always the same old "I'm not buying the Switch version as the graphics won't be as good"

Why not "Switch" the argument around and say I am buying the Switch version because of the things that game can't do on another console. My point is each console offers a certain amount of uniqueness but it always seems on here that whatever the benefits offered by Sony and Microsoft are always used as the most important features.

That is true. However, for people only having one console this does simply not work. And I assume most people out there only invests in one console at a time. This is why Nintendo needs 3rd party. The rest of us will live without.

Why would it make it their portable gaming device?

Firstly who says people won't need those features out and about. If I take the switch to anywhere with a WiFi connection I could play online so why would voice chat and social features not matter.

How about those who choose to use portable mode at home?

Why should any lack of third party software on the Switch come down to 'just buy those games on ps4/xb1'.

You really allow Nintendo off the hook to easily. I might just want third party games on Nintendo hardware as the portable aspect appeals to me or I just want hardware with a library of software which isn't just Nintendo.

I really fail to understand why Nintendo's failings in attracting third parties is deemed as nothing to worry about as those games are available on other platforms.

How is that a good thing?

Why would it make it their portable gaming device?

Well for the majority of people depending on your circumstance the Switch is either an upgrade to your Wii U or 3DS.

If you're in the "I'm buying all my games on my other home console" then it stands to reason that you'll be using the Switch more as your portable device.

The majority of people on here are clearly going to still buy 3rd party games on their non Nintendo console, which makes the Switch very much their portable gaming device. In which case voice chat and social features are not so much of an issue as you won't be using them when out and about...

Splatoon, Mario Kart and Smash, plus any other online multiplayer games that come out... that's why Party Chat and social features are important. Can't buy them on other consoles!

Plus, if multiplatform games were the same, the portability of the console might sway the consumer to pick up the Switch version over prettier graphics. It would for me!

Edited by Kav

My point is each console offers a certain amount of uniqueness but it always seems on here that whatever the benefits offered by Sony and Microsoft are always used as the most important features.

Probably because certain features have become standard on these platforms and have been for a couple of generations now. When you're used to something, and then it's taken away from you, it's easy to see why people class these as important to them.

It also depends on what your priorities are as a gamer. For me, the handheld part of the Switch, while nice, is something that I won't use much outside of gaming during my lunch break at work or while watching certain football matches. I'd much rather have certain social features that have been standard for years on other consoles than have the handheld option.

On the flip side you have gamers who have a wife/husband and kids and don't have a lot of time for gaming. The handheld portion of the console will no doubt be of great value to those people, but the online side of things will have less relevance as they don't have to time for it and don't really use it.

Hopefully the Switch will have the social features many of us are wanting on our Nintendo consoles.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

I think what you have to remember as well is that those who want the third parties and good ports onboard even though they dont plan to buy them, want them because they want Nintendo and the Switch to do well. We all saw what happened with the Wii U.

Sorry, but ridiculous that this got thanks from you @Serebii and @Ronnie... seems like a nonsensical 'choose a side' Thanks.

Why wouldn't you want todays standard multiplayer/social features in Nintendo's own multiplayer games?

You see, I wasn't that keen on the idea of Fire Emblem Warriors, most of the characters don't really appeal to me.

Half the fun of Hyrule Warriors is the mostly insane characters the Zelda series has.

But I would literally buy the game for Mamorin alone!

"Switch-ee ON!"

Her special move involving a giant microwave cooking masses of enemies?

That sounds a lot more sinister than I meant it to.

Edited by Josh64
Automerged Doublepost

The majority of people on here are clearly going to still buy 3rd party games on their non Nintendo console, which makes the Switch very much their portable gaming device.

I enjoy third party outings on my PS4 but unfortunately, I can't insta-play these games while the other half is watching Netflix or when we're downstairs and we're just chilling reading/browsing the web etc. Sure, I could buy a vita or use the laptop for access to the console but it's an extra cost/faff. Therein lies inherent value. (As much as the graphics would be sharper etc. on the PS4 - mobile trumps this to me).

I recently started to play Xenoblade on the n3DS and the game has been a revelation. What was once something that demanded 100+ hours away from other people, stuck to a TV in my cave has been liberated by the "dip-in/out" policy that the 3DS Sleep Mode & portability affords.

I've sunk 20hrs into it thanks to this feature alone and my 'QoL' - like nagging from other other half or having to do chores/answer the door/feed the cats etc. hasn't affected my play time too much.

I gave up on the Wii version of Xenoblade as it was demanding so much time sat stationary on my own. (As much as I enjoyed it - it demanded my dedication and time).

The only hindrance has been the screen size and the awareness that such a majestic game obviously looks better on the TV. Switch appears to alleviate both of these aspects. I can enjoy the game in a similar vein to the 3DS but then have the benefit of firing it into the TV for a "traditional" experience.

To me, with my lifestyle, that is fantastic.

Nintendo are on to something with Switch. The OFF-TV feature of the WiiU was great (but severely limited) and the ad-hoc nature of multiplayer on Switch should convert many to adopt the system as well. Many modern games have multiplayer aspects within as well as single player modes. With it's design, Switch should be able to piggyback on this trend, affording gamers to be freed from gaming alone.

Splatoon, Mario Kart and Smash, plus any other online multiplayer games that come out... that's why Party Chat and social features are important. Can't buy them on other consoles!

If you get your party chat features will you be buying these games? Which one will be your priority?

For me it would have to be Splatoon. I'm hoping they have sorted the game out so you can switch loadouts in the lobby. Having to back out of a game to do this is just stupid.

I enjoy third party outings on my PS4 but unfortunately, I can't insta-play these games while the other half is watching Netflix or when we're downstairs and we're just chilling reading/browsing the web etc. Sure, I could buy a vita or use the laptop for access to the console but it's an extra cost/faff. Therein lies inherent value. (As much as the graphics would be sharper etc. on the PS4 - mobile trumps this to me).

I recently started to play Xenoblade on the n3DS and the game has been a revelation. What was once something that demanded 100+ hours away from other people, stuck to a TV in my cave has been liberated by the "dip-in/out" policy that the 3DS Sleep Mode & portability affords.

I've sunk 20hrs into it thanks to this feature alone and my 'QoL' - like nagging from other other half or having to do chores/answer the door/feed the cats etc. hasn't affected my play time too much.

I gave up on the Wii version of Xenoblade as it was demanding so much time sat stationary on my own. (As much as I enjoyed it - it demanded my dedication and time).

The only hindrance has been the screen size and the awareness that such a majestic game obviously looks better on the TV. Switch appears to alleviate both of these aspects. I can enjoy the game in a similar vein to the 3DS but then have the benefit of firing it into the TV for a "traditional" experience.

To me, with my lifestyle, that is fantastic.

Nintendo are on to something with Switch. The OFF-TV feature of the WiiU was great (but severely limited) and the ad-hoc nature of multiplayer on Switch should convert many to adopt the system as well. Many modern games have multiplayer aspects within as well as single player modes. With it's design, Switch should be able to piggyback on this trend, affording gamers to be freed from gaming alone.

This is what I really liked about the Wii U and I'm looking forward to in the Switch. We have one TV in our house, and chilling out with a game on the sofa while the missus watches some shit about vampires has been a revelation! Funnily enough, it's Xenoblade X that I've been playing, a game that I would never have finished, had I not been able to play off-TV (not that I have finished it yet, but I fully intend to!). I did Twilight Princess almost exclusively off-TV as well, and will sit and play MK8 online if I just want to relax. Before I would have been browsing the web or muttering under my breath about the garbage I'm being forced to watch.

I think the value, to many people with kids or a family, of off-TV has been grossly underestimated and is a real selling point of the Switch. The fact I can put my game to sleep and continue at work on my break is mind-blowing and means I won't have to have two games on the go at one time (home and portable). I am curious as to how online would work out of the house though, mobile tethering would be useful. We have The Cloud at work, and maybe offering some sort of public wi-fi service or partnering with one of the big names could provide a workable solution.

This is what I really liked about the Wii U and I'm looking forward to in the Switch. We have one TV in our house, and chilling out with a game on the sofa while the missus watches some shit about vampires has been a revelation! Funnily enough, it's Xenoblade X that I've been playing, a game that I would never have finished, had I not been able to play off-TV (not that I have finished it yet, but I fully intend to!). I did Twilight Princess almost exclusively off-TV as well, and will sit and play MK8 online if I just want to relax. Before I would have been browsing the web or muttering under my breath about the garbage I'm being forced to watch.

I think the value, to many people with kids or a family, of off-TV has been grossly underestimated and is a real selling point of the Switch. The fact I can put my game to sleep and continue at work on my break is mind-blowing and means I won't have to have two games on the go at one time (home and portable). I am curious as to how online would work out of the house though, mobile tethering would be useful. We have The Cloud at work, and maybe offering some sort of public wi-fi service or partnering with one of the big names could provide a workable solution.

I see so many people saying "I have a second TV so it's fine" as if they are the only one.

Hell, I have a friend who got a second TV to play his Xbox One on while his girlfriend watched TV. So clearly there's a market here for those who don't have disposable income to do that

Plus, if multiplatform games were the same, the portability of the console might sway the consumer to pick up the Switch version over prettier graphics. It would for me!

In the ideal world of course. But Nintendo are sacrificing a powerful graphics chip to enable them to provide a screen. People seem to expect Nintendo to release the most powerful console with free online and a tablet controller, cheaper than the opposition and then slag them off when they don't do it.

In the ideal world of course. But Nintendo are sacrificing a powerful graphics chip to enable them to provide a screen. People seem to expect Nintendo to release the most powerful console with free online and a tablet controller, cheaper than the opposition and then slag them off when they don't do it.

No one on this forum has asked for that...

Good online and voice chat are a must though. I grew up playing multiplayer titles with my friends and I've always seen video games as a social experience. Being able to talk to my friends is a must; if Xbox LIVE let me do it a decade ago, I'm sure Nintendo can somehow figure out a way to make it happen.

Good online and voice chat are a must though. I grew up playing multiplayer titles with my friends and I've always seen video games as a social experience. Being able to talk to my friends is a must; if Xbox LIVE let me do it a decade ago, I'm sure Nintendo can somehow figure out a way to make it happen.

And I was able to do it on mobile 5 maybe 6 years ago.

To answer @Hero\-of\-Time 's question though, it's got to be Splatoon surely? As a team game it needs that communication, it's just not as essential in an all vs all scenario like Kart or Smash.

Firstly who says people won't need those features out and about. If I take the switch to anywhere with a WiFi connection I could play online so why would voice chat and social features not matter.

How about those who choose to use portable mode at home?

Why should any lack of third party software on the Switch come down to 'just buy those games on ps4/xb1'.

You really allow Nintendo off the hook to easily. I might just want third party games on Nintendo hardware as the portable aspect appeals to me or I just want hardware with a library of software which isn't just Nintendo.

I really fail to understand why Nintendo's failings in attracting third parties is deemed as nothing to worry about as those games are available on other platforms.

How is that a good thing?

If you've got a wifi connection then you're not exactly out and about and I can't believe anybody is going to be using party chat whilst sitting on a train.

I'm not saying it doesn't matter if Nintendo don't get 3rd parties, that couldn't be further from the truth. I'm questioning the logic on here of people who have said they will buy these games on the other console anyway but then continue to complain about what features the Switch may or may not have.

I'm not letting them off the hook, I'll be furious if I can't play Fifa on the Switch. But as I've just said there is too much nonsense on here along the lines of "if Switch can't do everything a PS4 can plus better and be cheaper too then it's not worth buying and if the games aren't exactly the same as the PS4 versions they are not worth buying.

Yeah who has asked for that?

No one's who wants Nintendo to release a powerful console ever put tablet controller into the conversation.

Of course they have. Every comment like "I'll get the PS4 version as it's got better graphics" "If it's not cheaper than the PS4 I won't buy it" "If it doesn't have party chat I won't buy it" are saying exactly that. People want everything the other consoles have plus all the extra Nintendo stuff but cheaper.

I just raised it because as yet I haven't seen anybody saying "unless PS4 let's me take my games with me I'm buying the Switch/version"