NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

£250 with a game would be a reasonable price for me.

What if they offered a premium edition for an extra £50 with built in voice chat?

What if they offered a premium edition for an extra £50 with built in voice chat?

Haha, it best have Party Chat at £250 with a game!

£200 is hella low.

If they got a good deal on the GPU, as the rumours suggested, then £199 is possible (at a profit) when you consider that there is no hard drive or disc drive. I'm going for £229-249 though, and am willing to shell out around £299 in total (hoping for at least Mario/Zelda and Melee VC).

$250/€250 is a lock I reckon.

The UK price on the other hand... Let's just pray that they're not too rough back there...

It's also worth remembering that the Wii's launched price was $249 (adjusted for inflation that's $299 in today's money) and at £180 (about £220 with inflation) so I think we can expect a competitive price.

Ignoring specs, I do think the key for Nintendo doing well is competitively priced hardware. As long as your getting bang for your buck, they'll do well.

$250/€250 is a lock I reckon.

The UK price on the other hand... Let's just pray that they're not too rough back there...

Yeah $250/€250 sounds likely but I think we'll be lucky to get it for less than £250, in fact I could easily see us paying £270.

£199 would be immense and insta-purchase territory for more folk. A deluxe model being anywhere between £250-300 would be alright as long as there's no ridiculous "it's not the same game" MKart 8.5 or Splatoon 1.5 pack-in (or a tokenistic VC game). Nintendo need to come out swinging due to WiiU's sales and Kimishima's tenure will be judged by this launch.

I wonder how much impact a March launch makes on a system sale-wise? Anyone got any figures/evidence I can read?

It's not like Nintendo haven't done it before. At least Switch should have a big E3...

Edited by tapedeck

Got Thursday/Friday booked off so should be able to pre order online or instore on Friday morning. I do not want another NES Classic situation even though I lucked out big time finding one for a gift before Xmas without a pre order.

Having skipped on the WiiU and 3DS I'm very much looking forward to playing Ninty games again :smile:

I think the PS3 launched in March in Europe and I don't think it did terribly but definitely didn't do great but that was partly down to it's high price so I don't think its a particularly bad time of year to launch a console. If memory serves the DS came out over here in March too and the GBA came out in Japan in March so it's not completely unprecedented.

Are we expecting pre-orders to go live as soon as the conference is over? I've got my brothers Nintendo Store login details so I can pre-order for him if they do go live at like 5am, I'm hoping they don't hold out until 9am UK time because I'm likely to be fast asleep by then.

£199 would be immense and insta-purchase territory for more folk. A deluxe model being anywhere between £250-300 would be alright as long as there's no ridiculous "it's not the same game" MKart 8.5 or Splatoon 1.5 pack-in (or a tokenistic VC game). Nintendo need to come out swinging due to WiiU's sales and Kimishima's tenure will be judged by this launch.

I wonder how much impact a March launch makes on a system sale-wise? Anyone got any figures/evidence I can read?

It's not like Nintendo haven't done it before. At least Switch should have a big E3...

There's no way it'll be £199, there's a lot of tech in this thing and they need to not only make some money but also leave themselves some wiggle room if the price needs lowering down the line.

Not to mention the UK is going to get screwed on the price compared to the rest of the world. Apple recently raised their MacBook prices in the UK by £500 a few months ago.

There's no way it'll be £199, there's a lot of tech in this thing and they need to not only make some money but also leave themselves some wiggle room if the price needs lowering down the line.

Not to mention the UK is going to get screwed on the price compared to the rest of the world. Apple recently raised their MacBook prices in the UK by £500 a few months ago.

Keep in mind that the main component is the X1 chip which we know is a couple of years old already. I'm sure Nvidia would have been keen to give Nintendo a good deal on those chips given that they missed out on the PS4/XBO contracts. The initial leak that suggested Nintendo had partnered with Nvidia also said that Nvidia were selling these to Nintendo at a loss so £199 may well be possible.

As you state, the weak pound would be the thing stopping £199 from happening.

@Ronnie I agree £199 would be hard to hit. I just think it would be the best price-point in regards to marketing/mindshare in relation to the PS4/XBone pricing (especially those bundles that come with valuable titles like FIFA 17/Uncharted 4/Star Wars etc.). But agree, the weak £ may screw consumers in the UK.

With Nintendo needing to come out all guns blazing, they need a high value proposition straight away. Will they rely on Mario and Zelda for leverage? The way they promote the switch will be key here. Just like with WiiU, they maybe know people need to play it to appreciate it (hence all the global hands-on events and missing e3 highlights this need more). What will be interesting is how they launch in March. Will they go for the Nintendo-savvy customer with its highest-possible price point and software to match? And will this give them the opportunity to move the price point nearer Christmas if A)sales aren't high or B)the £ changes.

Either way, the presentation on Friday holds a ton of surprises!

Edited by tapedeck

If they really manage 25,000 Yen then that's ridiculously cheap over here. So much so that it would suggest they're going to push it more as a portable than a home console, which would make sense given the make up of the user base over here. Not sure the same positioning would work everywhere so it maybe they won't go with any sort of direct pricing parity. Could see it being $300 in the US and whatever that works out to in Europe (so probably just 300 everywhere as things are).

I reckon it will be the equivalent of £199 for basic and £249 with pack in game and more storage in the US, Japan and mainland Europe but I expect we'll pay a small premium for being in the UK so I reckon it'll cost us something like £220 & £270. I think we'll feel the pinch because of Brexit but won't be hit with anything like what Apple did, Nintendo simply can't afford to do so as the UK will be one of its key regions. Conversely though I think they probably could afford to charge more in Japan because of the nation's penchant for handheld gaming, so it's odd that they appear to be going for a lower price point there.

£229 rrp. Console, joycon, dock and pack-in-game. No premium version, one sku (power cord sold separately).

Give me TMS♯FE characters - even if only as DLC... heck, I'd even be okay with just alternate costumes for other characters - and I'd buy a Fire Emblem Warriors in a heartbeat!

(I'd probably be interested even if it only had regular Fire Emblem characters, but y'know.)

This has to happen! My biggest fear is that we'll never see some of those amazing characters again. We need Tiki and Barry taking down masses of enemies with the beautiful screams of "ITSUKI" from Chrom every second when one is near.

This has to happen! My biggest fear is that we'll never see some of those amazing characters again. We need Tiki and Barry taking down masses of enemies with the beautiful screams of "ITSUKI" from Chrom every second when one is near.

You see, I wasn't that keen on the idea of Fire Emblem Warriors, most of the characters don't really appeal to me.

Half the fun of Hyrule Warriors is the mostly insane characters the Zelda series has.

But I would literally buy the game for Mamorin alone!

"Switch-ee ON!"

Webstore CDON.com has several Nintendo Switch accessories listed. No pictures, unfortunately.

http://cdon.no/search?q=nintendo+switch#blockid=search&category_group_id=&display=3&sort-order=16&page=1

Including:

Zelda Starter Kit Sheikah Eye Edition

Zelda Starter Kit Links Tunic Edition

Mario Starter Kit M Edition

Mario Starter Kit Pattern Edition

Starter Kit

System Case

Mario System Case

Zelda System Case

Secure Travel Game Case

JoyCon Gel Guards

Clean and Protect Kit

Mono Communicator

Stereo Wired Headset

Vehicle Power Adapter

Am I reading too much into the fact that both Mario and Zelda accessories are being made... ;)

Am I reading too much into the fact that both Mario and Zelda accessories are being made... ;)

Yes. Yes you are :p

Nvidia CEO on Switch:

Nintendo Switch is a game console. It's very Nintendo. That entire experience is going to be very Nintendo. The beauty of that company, the craft of that company, the philosophy of that company—they're myopically, singularly focused on making sure that the gaming experience is amazing, surprising, and safe for young people, for children. Their dedication to their craft, that singlular dedication, is quite admirable. When you guys all see Switch, I believe people are going to be blown away, quite frankly. It's really delightful. But it has nothing to do with AI.

Good praise... but should we worry about the bold bit? I doubt friend-codes will return but does this suggest a lack of social features..?

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/01/prepare_to_be_blown_away_by_nintendo_switch_says_nvidia_ceo

I long for the day when Nintendo can be looked at by the average gamer as more than just a Mario or Zelda company. There are so many franchises under their wing and yet they keep pushing these two.

They're great franchises and sell well, and that is why other IPs might need a bit more of a push because the former are already guaranteed to sell.

I hope Metroid, Pikmin, F-Zero and Star Fox will one day be as important to Nintendo as Mario and Zelda, but I am not holding my breath.

I'd just love to see all the polished Nintendo games be the best in their respective genres under the Nintendo Seal of Quality.