NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Someone wake me up on Thursday when we can stop picking holes with everything Nintendo do and will actually have something interesting and fun to talk about.

Mate if you're sleeping for 5 days without waking up, you should probably see a doctor.

It's been announced that the presentation will be about an hour long.

That's the NicoNico listing. Those are notoriously wrong.

That's the NicoNico listing. Those are notoriously wrong.

I really doubt it'll be more than an hour. Nintendo's live E3 presentations and old live Spaceworld conferences were all around an hour long and the stage floor opens up an hour after the presentation starts, so I don't see any reason to expect it to last longer.

An hour is plenty. Don't expect them to go into detail about everything during just the presentation, that's what the Treehouse Live event is for ;)

I really doubt it'll be more than an hour. Nintendo's live E3 presentations and old live Spaceworld conferences were all around an hour long and the stage floor opens up an hour after the presentation starts, so I don't see any reason to expect it to last longer.

An hour is plenty. Don't expect them to go into detail about everything during just the presentation, that's what the Treehouse Live event is for ;)

Oh I'm not saying it won't be around an hour in length. I'm saying the NicoNico listing isn't indicative of length.

We've had times when they list an hour and it has been 35 minutes, and times when it has been almost 2 hours

1. Decent third party from what I've been hinted at :) Not amazing, but decent!

2. Depends on what they want :p

3. Based on the leaks, it depends on the developer. The developer can make it run as well as when docked if they do so wish.

Thing is, IGN's PlayStation podcast had a thing about Switch and Brian said the Switch being 1080p was a bad thing.

I'll start caring about 4k gaming after developers can actually manage solid 1080p60/1080p30 rendered games

One of many reasons people want a console with more power. If people weren't interested in extra power then we'd all still be playing stuff on PS3/360 so I don't get this argument about people being against powerful upgrades that just 'make things shinier' because extra power offers far more than just graphical upgrades.

The Switch actually looks great, but for anyone that isn't into handheld gaming, it will be seen as inferior and weak.

Thinking back to seeing Pilotwings, F-Zero and Super Mario World in 90's gaming magazines then watching GamesMaster in 1995 and seeing Mario64 in motion; and then, in 2000 (or thereabouts!) seeing .mov clips of the amazing GameCube Link/Ganon fight and Samus and Smash Melee on IGN64.

I genuinely miss the days when new Nintendo hardware would just 'look' incredible and ushered in a new era on equal footing.

I've had similar "hype" feel moments with the Wii/WiiU but having usually already played other systems with more power under the hood it has taken the sheen off new Nintendo systems somewhat.

Note: not to say I'm not excited by new Ninty systems. Switch has me interested and I've already put down a pre-order on the basis that I still adore Nintendo's ethos and portfolio.

Edited by tapedeck

I've had similar "hype" feel moments with the Wii/WiiU but having usually already played other systems with more power under the hood it has taken the sheen off new Nintendo systems somewhat.

Personally I look at the more powerful systems and I can easily appreciate the stunning visuals of the Order, Battlefield 1, the Division etc but at this point, none of it wows me anymore. Sure they look stunning, but the race to more realistic graphics has just gotten stale IMO, and 4K and HDR nonsense certainly won't change that belief.

On the other hand, I look at the less powerful Wii U and the visuals of say, Yoshi's Woolly World, Mario Kart 8, Wind Waker HD, Paper Mario Colour Splash, Captain Toad etc... just beautiful games. THOSE wow me and it's hugely exciting to see what they think of next. Unlike say, the next Battlefront, or the next Assassin's Creed that'll just look like a slightly prettier version of the last one, or with slightly denser crowd scenes.

Unravel is currently wowing me. The game looks gorgeous. It's like the Pikmin visuals you dream of... If you're gonna make a 2D Pikmin make it for the Switch instead, and have it look like that!

Edited by Retro_Link

There have been rumours going around recently that there may be another warriors game in development.

My money is on it being Fire Emblem. It just makes too much sense and I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Unravel is currently wowing me. The game looks gorgeous. It's like the Pikmin visuals you dream of... If you're gonna make a 2D Pikmin make it for the Switch instead, and have it look like that!

I downloaded Unravel on PS4 last week :smile:

I haven't had a chance to play it yet but when I watched videos for it before buying it I thought of Pikmin too :grin:

My money is on it being Fire Emblem. It just makes too much sense and I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.

Same. It's by far the most obviously fitting IP that hasn't been given the Warriors treatment yet.

Give me TMS♯FE characters - even if only as DLC... heck, I'd even be okay with just alternate costumes for other characters - and I'd buy a Fire Emblem Warriors in a heartbeat!

(I'd probably be interested even if it only had regular Fire Emblem characters, but y'know.)

I personally think you're all too dismissive of the idea of Animal Crossing Warriors

The option has not been then before. Halo isn't an example as it's exclusive to Xbox. What are your reasons to buy FIFA on Xbox rather than Switch assuming they are like for like with game modes?

Existing friends lists, controls, network infrastructure, graphics...take your pick.

Basically what Sheikah said. Far more people I know will have it on the Xbox. The controller is by far the best around and the Xbox is far more powerful than the Switch will be.

Wait its Thursday? i thought the reveal was Friday?! i've got the wrong morning off now FFS

Wait its Thursday? i thought the reveal was Friday?! i've got the wrong morning off now FFS

It's Friday

4am UTC

5am CEST

1pm JST

Thursday

11pm EST

8pm PST

Time zones

Pretty sure it's Friday 4AM UK time. It's Thursday in Japan.

Then Why is Ronnie being woken up on Thursday he could have an extra day in bed! everyone loves a Lay in

Pretty sure it's Friday 4AM UK time. It's Thursday in Japan.

Oh dear :p

Someone didn't get a globe for Christmas :p

£200 is also about the right price for it really.

If it's less than £250 I'll be happy.

£300 with a game and a Pro Controller.

I think I'd be alright paying £300 for a game and pro controller yeah. Obviously cheaper would be better though :p