NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

4am GMT is why an E3 reveal last year would've been better! :p

Eh? Why? Because of the voice over?

Yep, but didn't the Smash Bros. Direct do this?

Sakurai talked through all of that with an English dub. Is that not a Direct? Because it was advertised as such.

This seems to be pretty much the same thing.

Eh? Why? Because of the voice over?

Things like that, plus it's going to be awkward as hell with long pauses

Sakurai talked through all of that with an English dub. Is that not a Direct? Because it was advertised as such.

European Directs typically had subs rather than dub over when they didn't have English speaking hosts

Again, Sakurai pulled it off, reasonably well, I might add.

You're splitting hairs.

European Directs typically had subs rather than dub over when they didn't have English speaking hosts

Ah, I misremembered then. Never mind me!

EDIT: Oh, wait. Is this gong to devolve into a subs versus dubs argument? Because I prefer dubs in my anime.

You know, if I actually watched anime...

Edited by Glen-i
Automerged Doublepost

The recent Animal Crossing did the same thing. Japanese talking but english voice over.

The big fear is what I mentioned earlier in the thread, that they haven't prepared the translator well and you end up with a conference looking like the ones Sony do for TGS. Still, at least we should get a laugh out of it if it does end up like that.

Thinking about it, it is a bit weird that they are clearly just focusing on the Japanse side of things, especially when the console will have a global launch and it's gonna be the first time everyone really see's the thing. Feels like the West is getting the short end of the stick with this. :(

Things like that, plus it's going to be awkward as hell with long pauses...

There may not be any long pauses. The "script" may already be written/translated so the voice-over may just be on the video feeds for the non-Japanese regions and not some guy waiting to translate. ::shrug:

Thinking about it, it is a bit weird that they are clearly just focusing on the Japanse side of things, especially when the console will have a global launch and it's gonna be the first time everyone really see's the thing. Feels like the West is getting the short end of the stick with this. :(

Yeah, that does worry me. Then again, I was a Ninty fan in the 90's, so I'm desensitized to this at least.

It depends on how well they've prepared the translator.

This doesn't mean to say that live events are worse than Directs, its more to do with Nintendo hosting the thing in Japan but also trying to capture the rest of the worlds attention at the same time.

There may not be any long pauses. The "script" may already be written/translated so the voice-over may just be on the video feeds for the non-Japanese regions and not some guy waiting to translate. ::shrug:

This is what I'd expect them to do. It worked well enough for Smash Direct, so why change it?

EDIT: Oh snap, I just realised it's live. Well then, funnies await!

It depends on how well they've prepared the translator.

This doesn't mean to say that live events are worse than Directs, its more to do with Nintendo hosting the thing in Japan but also trying to capture the rest of the worlds attention at the same time.

I still stand by my view that live events are worse than Directs

I still stand by my view that live events are worse than Directs

You need to be more optimistic.

You see it as worse, I see it as funnier.

1IYM

Still makes me giggle.

As long as they get the important points across, who cares if a few funny GIF's come out of it?

Say a trailer pops up for new Mario game, what happens at the end when the logo pops up on screen? Won't that be in japanese? Bit of a hype killer tbh :(

Say a trailer pops up for new Mario game, what happens at the end when the logo pops up on screen? Won't that be in japanese? Bit of a hype killer tbh :(

post-15478-Nathan-Fillion-speechless-gif-QTlX.gif

Really?

You need to be more optimistic.

You see it as worse, I see it as funnier.

1IYM

Still makes me giggle.

As long as they get the important points across, who cares if a few funny GIF's come out of it?

Who wouldn't want this?

Remember, the live presentation will probably be more akin to this:

than the pomp and circumstance you see at E3...

We won't have audiences cheering whenever they say a word or anything.

I'm starting to think everyone here knows how to utterly destroy any excitement I have for anything.

You're all mean.

I'm starting to think everyone here knows how to utterly destroy any excitement I have for anything.

You're all mean.

I'm just trying to get people's expectations closer to reality so this forum isn't filled with

"God this is shit" and other such statements :p

I wasn't saying I wanted cheering, I was saying I wanted awkward yet eccentric Japanese people delivering meme-worthy lines.

I believe they can do it.

I'm just trying to get people's expectations closer to reality so this forum isn't filled with

"God this is shit" and other such statements :p

Yeah, you keep punching that diamond wall, maybe one day you'll succeed!

I'm hoping they still have fun with it. It will be terrible if they are very dry with the whole thing. :(

I'm hoping they still have fun with it. It will be terrible if they are very dry with the whole thing. :(

Yep, absolutely agree there. Bad and cringey can at least be funny, bland is way worse.

You guys do realise that it'll almost certainly be Bill Trinen doing the translation voice over, right?

Awkward he ain't.

Well, this IS Nintendo. If there's anything we can be sure of, it won't be bland (for better or worse).

You guys do realise that it'll almost certainly be Bill Trinen doing the translation voice over, right?

Awkward he ain't.

Ooooh, I hadn't considered that...

hq26efc2gztykgo8nrbt.gif

That Direct is still one of my favourites!