NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

It's a genre Nintendo have perfected, and I never suggested Western devs on PS4 and XBO should stop making first person shooters just because it's an oversaturated market. They're obviously popular, just as 2D platformers are popular with Nintendo.

Doesn't that mean that FPS could be popular on Nintendo platforms too then? Nintendo may have perfected that genre but there has been an audible groan about the lack of variety on the Wii U. Surely spending some more time in other areas was a better idea?

@Serebiii - Yes, Splatoon could actually prove that actiony/FPS games could be popular on Nintendo! That's exactly what drahkon is saying! I'm not surprised that you didn't enjoy it or Overwatch, it would explain why you find it so difficult to understand many of the points of view on this board.

Overwatch also shows that you can also succeed with a cartoony-style aimed towards a slightly older audience.

Nintendo don't have to go ultra-realistic/gritty/grey/brown to appeal to a wider range of gamers.

Overwatch also shows that you can also succeed with a cartoony-style aimed towards a slightly older audience.

Nintendo don't have to go ultra-realistic/gritty/grey/brown to appeal to a wider range of gamers.

I can't think of a better company for Nintendo to be cosying up to than Blizzard. They have SO much in common and frankly Blizz could teach them a thing or two about letting people do what they want, rather than having to be constrained all the time.

I honestly don't understand why you want Nintendo to do the same thing as everyone else.

I've always felt Nintendo are at their best when they are doing things their way, so the idea of them making a generic space fps is just bizarre to me.

Where did he say that he wanted Nintendo to make a "Generic space fps"....? Aren't Nintendo capable of having their own style and being unique?

Splatoon is the perfect example of a game in a genre that Nintendo don't have much expertise in doing superbly as they can make it different. Before it was announced, we used to have the same conversations on this very board about Nintendo not being diverse enough and the same couple of people would CONSTANTLY play the "But why should they make a shooter" card. Now the game is loved by all, including those same people. Hilarious.

Games like Rocket League, Overwatch and Splatoon have been MASSIVE success stories over the past 12-18 months and they all have the same thing in common; they are quirky takes in existing genres. Why can't Nintendo do the same in other areas of their library?

Funnily enough, each of those games could be described as Nintendo-like, yet only one is actually available on a Nintendo system. I'd bet my house on Overwatch and RL performing well on Switch.

Why do some seem to think Nintendo doing something different means they couldn't still do what they do best?

It doesn't have to be one or the other. Nintendo themselves or a studio hired by Nintendo could do other genres.

Why do some seem to think Nintendo doing something different means they couldn't still do what they do best?

It doesn't have to be one or the other. Nintendo themselves or a studio hired by Nintendo could do other genres.

That's what I've been saying that they've been doing rather than just go for Mario & Zelda as people here claim :)

That's what I've been saying that they've been doing rather than just go for Mario & Zelda as people here claim :)

Serebii I think you know what people mean.

There are multiple genre of games you struggle to find on Nintendo hardware which one would like to see Nintendo or 2nd party studios develop.

Rayman port is bizarre. Reeks of a lazy cash in, however great the game is, which it is.

I remember seeing a few really intriguing things that didn't make it into Legends... levels, amiibo support I think... I think if they add those things in that would be great, maybe even expand a few ideas and refine things. I really liked the online challenge thing, the collectables etc. I can see the game being a good show case actually, how the switch can move games up to the next level with having some sort of handheld multiplayer aspects playing into the home console side of things etc.

Actually.. no I can't see that, but it would be nice :D

Nintendo may have perfected that genre but there has been an audible groan about the lack of variety on the Wii U. Surely spending some more time in other areas was a better idea?

Of the first and second party Wii U games I can think of: Smash, MK8, 3D World, Mario Maker, Splatoon, Pokken, Paper Mario, Nintendo Land, Star Fox Zero, NSMBU, Bayonetta 2, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Pikmin 3, Yoshi's Woolly World, Animal Crossing AF, DKC Tropical Freeze, Captain Toad, Zelda, Hyrule Warriors, Wii Sports Club, Xenoblade, Wonderful 101, Kirby, Mario Tennis, Game and Wario...

Excluding Mario Maker, four are 2D platformers; in the space of four years.

I don't think 4 in 26 in the genre Nintendo are best known for and are best at, is that much, especially given the genre diversity of the other 22 games.

Of the first and second party Wii U games I can think of: Smash, MK8, 3D World, Mario Maker, Splatoon, Pokken, Paper Mario, Nintendo Land, Star Fox Zero, NSMBU, Bayonetta 2, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Pikmin 3, Yoshi's Woolly World, Animal Crossing AF, DKC Tropical Freeze, Captain Toad, Zelda, Hyrule Warriors, Wii Sports Club, Xenoblade, Wonderful 101, Kirby, Mario Tennis, Game and Wario...

Excluding Mario Maker, four are 2D platformers; in the space of four years.

I don't think 4 in 26 in the genre Nintendo are best known for and are best at, is that much, especially given the genre diversity of the other 22 games.

Random side thought I had whilst reading this list and thinking about why Nintendo games don't hold the appeal they once did - to me a lot of it is related to narrative.

Where games have really come on leaps and bounds in the last few years, for me, is the quality of the dialogue and storytelling. With the exception (hopefully) of the upcoming Zelda and Paper Mario, I can't think of any recent Nintendo exclusives that have a plot that isn't more or less totally redundant (I'm sure there are exceptions!). Putting gameplay first can be great, but I think part of why Nintendo games all seem a bit similar is the lack of narrative diversity as much genre diversity.

The other one is art style. There have been so many interesting releases on Steam and PS4 recently that look unique as well as playing in interesting ways (Firewatch, Inside, Last Guardian spring to mind) whereas the majority of Nintendo games seem to have the same kind of bright, rounded 3d Mario-y aesthetic.

My Nintendo knowledge isn't what it once was so I'm interested to hear what you guys think. I'm actually, regardless, quite excited to get a Switch having skipped WiiU!

[TWEET]812446797956157440[/TWEET]

I'm gonna be royally peed off if Miiverse is gone. Really hope this rumour is bogus.

[TWEET]812446797956157440[/TWEET]

I'm gonna be royally peed off if Miiverse is gone. Really hope this rumour is bogus.

But didn't people say it's in and there's the whole Share button to post directly to it?

But didn't people say it's in and there's the whole Share button to post directly to it?

From what I've read in the past all the share button stuff is just speculation. They know it's a share button but don't know what or how it actually shares.

The removal of the Miiverse stage in Smash, along with this rumour of Miiverse being scrapped, is very concerning.

From what I've read in the past all the share button stuff is just speculation. They know it's a share button but don't know what or how it actually shares.

The removal of the Miiverse stage in Smash, along with this rumour of Miiverse being scrapped, is very concerning.

Could be Miiverse by another name.

Could be Miiverse by another name.

Probably, but I don't see why they would scrap what they already have and not just build upon the Miiverse name.

It wouldn't surprise me if this did happen though. Just look at the 3DS and Wii U activity logs to see how inconsistent Nintendo can be with things like this. Rather than building upon the 3DS log, it's kinda nerfed on the Wii U.

Miiverse is one of the only unqualified successes to come out of the Wii U, it would be crazy for them to scrap it. You make a good point about the Activity Log on Wii U though, its appalling in comparison to the one on 3DS.

Edited by killthenet

What is MiiVerse? Is it just like a social network?

I'd be amazed if they ditched Miiverse, such a clever idea especially when integrated into games. If the Share button is for screenshots and videos I can't believe they wouldn't give us the opportunity to post those somewhere for other users to see. Maybe they just want to get away from the Wii/Mii brand and have just come up with another type of social network with a different name. If you think about it the Switch seems to be a huge departure from the Wii era, would they really want something called "Miiverse" on there and mix messages?

Not that fussed over miiverse. Actually will be glad to see mii's gone. They are from the wii era and time to move away from that. If no miiverse means quicker OS and better ui I think that's a good trade off.

Maybe they just want to get away from the Wii/Mii brand and have just come up with another type of social network with a different name. If you think about it the Switch seems to be a huge departure from the Wii era, would they really want something called "Miiverse" on there and mix messages?

I'd agree that this may the case if it wasn't for Miitomo. They've released that and had people building up their Mii with outfits and props for the past year or so. To not somehow connect this with Switch would be madness.

You also have the branded coins that you collect from Miitomo over on My Nintendo. I can't see them ditching those either.

Not that fussed over miiverse. Actually will be glad to see mii's gone. They are from the wii era and time to move away from that. If no miiverse means quicker OS and better ui I think that's a good trade off.

I very much doubt they are related in any way, shape or form

The guys's talking nonsense. Miiverse aint going nowhere.

In fact, I fully expect the "share" button and the video capturing to be integrated directly into it. Miiverse will be even more important going forward.

If no miiverse means quicker OS and better ui I think that's a good trade off.

No relation whatsoever. Miiverse is entirely web based. If Switch has a web browser (and it will), there's no reason not to have Miiverse support built in.

Edited by Dcubed

No miiverse would be gutting.... Surely not....

Only 9 days to find out....

I love miiverse and would be disappointed if it were to go. Infact I wish Somy had a similar feature, posting screenshots randomly on twitter or facebook isn't really the same imo.

Also, Rayman Legends? Seems a bit daft. Is this the same Rayman game that was supposed to be released exclusively for the Wii U within the first months of its life?