NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

I don't think it will need one - I think it will be charged over USB. A power brick would just be a pain.

I think it's "bulky" simply to make it sturdy.

How do you mean via USB? I'm talking about the console itself, not the controllers..?

The console charges when it's in the dock... and I'd have thought the dock will plug into a socket, no?

How do you mean via USB? I'm talking about the console itself, not the controllers..?

The console charges when it's in the dock... and I'd have thought the dock will plug into a socket, no?

I'm also talking about the console itself, it should charge via USB, due to the portability of the device. Charging standards have changed since the 3DS.

The dock definitely won't be required to charge the device.

I'm also talking about the console itself, it should charge via USB, due to the portability of the device. Charging standards have changed since the 3DS.

The dock definitely won't be required to charge the device.

They said it will charge it though and so I see there being a plug...

The main function of the Nintendo Switch Dock is to provide an output to the TV, as well as charging and providing power to the system.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/10/20/nintendo-confirms-amiibo-support-for-nintendo-switch-clarifies-additional-features

Edited by Kav

Yes, but it doesn't have to be exclusive to the dock. The 3DS and Wii U GamePad also charge via docks, but have a separate way to charge without the dock.

Having it USB (on one end of the cable, doesn't matter what plugs into the Switch itself) would make it much easier for travelling, and making it compatible with portable battery chargers and USB charging stations in airports and stuff.

It's also worth noting that the internals are likely very similar stuff to mobiles/tablets, so a power brick shouldn't be required.

Yes, but it doesn't have to be exclusive to the dock. The 3DS and Wii U GamePad also charge via docks, but have a separate way to charge without the dock.

Having it USB (on one end of the cable, doesn't matter what plugs into the Switch itself) would make it much easier for travelling, and making it compatible with portable battery chargers and USB charging stations in airports and stuff.

It's also worth noting that the internals are likely very similar stuff to mobiles/tablets, so a power brick shouldn't be required.

Ah cool, I get you.

It wouldn't be surprised me if it charges through a USB cable. The NES Mini is doing that

No USB charging for a portable device released in 2017 would be inexcusable

You really are prone to the hyperbole :p

It'd be frustrating but hardly inexcusable

Coming from the #1 man on the Nintendo defence Force team I'm not surprised.

I think somewhat sensible is 64GB MicroSD as standard in the system itself, with potential to expand the dock with a HDD maybe? Figure out transferring and stuff via the docked feature, to allow you to move/pick and choose your games for portableness as takes your fancy. Game carts hold own potential for writing/ patches(though annoying/fiddly if you have to update like 3/4 before going out)?

I feel like whilst we know a little bit about the system, we're back to where we were last week with many more questions. Fun to speculate in the interim though!

Hole up... Whats wrong with USB chaging?

Nothing really

I think somewhat sensible is 64GB MicroSD as standard in the system itself, with potential to expand the dock with a HDD maybe? Figure out transferring and stuff via the docked feature, to allow you to move/pick and choose your games for portableness as takes your fancy. Game carts hold own potential for writing/ patches(though annoying/fiddly if you have to update like 3/4 before going out)?

I feel like whilst we know a little bit about the system, we're back to where we were last week with many more questions. Fun to speculate in the interim though!

It's good that we have questions though. Information overload is a thing and would have been detrimental to the message Nintendo were trying to get across.

In time all shall be shown :)

Nothing really

My bad, I thought people had a problem with it.

I really wouldn't care if it was a USB or not, as long as it charges in the fastest way possible. Would be happy with a magnetic clipping charger like my Surface Pro/Macs.

Spoke about the Switch to a few people at work today, they'd seen it announced but all thought it was called U-Switch =\

Well, it really would. See the outrage from the iPhone headphone jack malarkey. If the NX has the rumored 3 hours of battery life to boot, then that will be a deal breaker for A LOT of people.

Spoke about the Switch to a few people at work today, they'd seen it announced but all thought it was called U-Switch =\

Maybe it is...

It appears that despite doing a soft reveal of the console Nintendo are still enforcing nda's on publishers. Can't see why else nobody has come out and revealed games. What's the thinking?

It appears that despite doing a soft reveal of the console Nintendo are still enforcing nda's on publishers. Can't see why else nobody has come out and revealed games. What's the thinking?

I don't see the point either.

I want to know whether games such as FFXV are going to be released on the system. If I don't get to know soon then i'll just buy it for PS4.

Nintendo don't half make things difficult for themselves sometimes. People could do with knowing if they should hold off on buying things for the Switch, especiall in the run up to xmas, they need reveal more info about the system. That 3 minute trailer isn't enough for the mass market.

How is that even possible

Odd, I've seen a few...

But third parties have announced they are developing games. They may not have revealed more than that but I don't think they are being silenced.

How is that even possible

uSwitch is a company that has had moderate advertising in the past. It's simply a case of mistaking one for the other based on the similar name and the fact there's not been any advertising for the Nintendo Switch yet (and thus can't solidify the difference for the casual observer). It's completely understandable.

Odd, I've seen a few...

All I've seen is a bunch of indies who probably knew as much as we did until the announcement.

All I've seen is a bunch of indies who probably knew as much as we did until the announcement.

Brrr... Hope the breadth of that third party listing wasn't just for indie games.

I'm at least expecting a mainline Final Fantasy, is that asking too much?