NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

de Blob had the flick to jump mechanic. They removed it in the sequel.

I literally don't understand any of those jokes? I'm confused...

Well in cases where you wish to include certain body parts one needs to be giving and the other receiving and people usually have a preference. However, some people enjoy switching between the two...

I don't understand people bitching about being forced into the hyrbrid concept because they don't play even the 3ds out and about. Baffles me. Just think about it. People still buy 3DSs and play them at home, now you don't have to have two devices if Nintendo made two again; or think about the people who never bought handhelds (like Zechs), now you don't need to buy a second device, you get to play all the amazing games on one device, you don't miss out on anything (in the same example Zechs played advance wars (I think it was AW) on the VC and absolutely loved it).

So even if you don't really play games out and about, at least you don't have to buy two devices, and if you don't usually get handhelds, at least now you're going to have even more games on your system to play.

You don't play games out and about, then don't. That's the beauty of this thing isn't it?

I think you just have to accept some people have irrational dislike for anything that they don't think goes their way :heh:

I don't understand people bitching about being forced into the hyrbrid concept because they don't play even the 3ds out and about. Baffles me. Just think about it. People still buy 3DSs and play them at home, now you don't have to have two devices if Nintendo made two again; or think about the people who never bought handhelds (like Zechs), now you don't need to buy a second device, you get to play all the amazing games on one device, you don't miss out on anything (in the same example Zechs played advance wars (I think it was AW) on the VC and absolutely loved it).

So even if you don't really play games out and about, at least you don't have to buy two devices, and if you don't usually get handhelds, at least now you're going to have even more games on your system to play.

You don't play games out and about, then don't. That's the beauty of this thing isn't it?

I can see why some people just wanting a home console experience would want a more powerful console.

For me this is a powerful handheld with TV out and I'm happy with that no matter how much Nintendo call it s home console first and foremost.

One thing that concerns me a bit is that it appears the only option is to stand the dock upright and it looks quite tall, I'm not sure it will fit anywhere on my tv cabinet.

You have a point there. I have practically no room for a vertical console.

You have a point there. I have practically no room for a vertical console.

Stash it behind/next to the TV? Would look messy I admit, but I am not a man of greatly tidyed organisation so not really a problem for me :p

I don't handheld game at all anymore. Hate playing on a small screen.

One thing that concerns me a bit is that it appears the only option is to stand the dock upright and it looks quite tall, I'm not sure it will fit anywhere on my tv cabinet.

switch01.jpg

Looking at the dock in this image the back appears to be flat and I'm going to assume that the cut out is where the power and video out ports are. Meaning you can lay it flat and have the cords coming out of the side.

I don't think this is anything to worry over.

Ah yeah that might be what that gap is for; a cable run.

First Nintendo Switch spotted in the wild:

CvN4ylJWIAUGMOD.jpg

I can imagine optional Joy-Con controllers designed around specific games, maybe even with alternate button layouts that make sense for that particular game, although that's possibly a stretch. If nothing else I'm sure they'll release coloured Joy-Cons so you can personalise your Switch a bit.

Coloured joypads with a black body would look a bit odd, but maybe not. I'm sure somebody will mock some up soon.

I said a while ago when the rumours were abound I could see packaged game-specific controllers being used, but then maybe Nintendo want to move away from all that?

Coloured joypads with a black body would look a bit odd, but maybe not. I'm sure somebody will mock some up soon.

I said a while ago when the rumours were abound I could see packaged game-specific controllers being used, but then maybe Nintendo want to move away from all that?

... Nintendo move away from that. Unwanted peripherals is where Nintendo make their money :p

I think you just have to accept some people have irrational dislike for anything that they don't think goes their way :heh:

Well, Nintendo ARE expecting some consumers to pay for a complicated feature that they're not going to use. And the console IS sacrificing other, important things (power) to be able to deliver said features at a competitive price.

Basically, imagine if Volkswagen went "Hey, everyone. SUV's and crossovers are all the rage, so to reduce our R&D costs and make our product lineup less confusing, we're going to make all our cars tall and four wheel drive. Yes, that includes the VW Lupo and our upcoming sports car. But no worries, we'll still be selling our new models at the same price as the old ones... we'll just cut back on safety, fuel economy... and performance. So these off-roaders may not actually be suitable to... errr... go off road"

That being said, I've bought both a DS and a 3DS and have been dissapointed at how little I use either. Since the Switch has a quite large screen and will play my regular home console games, this is the one gimmick I've been wanting for the past decade. As a Nintendo gamer, I'm happy I no longer will have to groan "why would you put that awesome game on a puny handheld?".

Also, with Nintendo not having to make seperate 3D Mario, Mario Kart and Smash Bros games for each machine, I'm hoping they'll now use their resources to make games that better suit my sensibilities.

I don't handheld game at all anymore. Hate playing on a small screen.

Yeah I get that. But now you don't need to buy another device to play all the amazing games, and you'll get even more amazing first party games because it's just one device. Everyone is a winner.

Yeah I get that. But now you don't need to buy another device to play all the amazing games, and you'll get even more amazing first party games because it's just one device. Everyone is a winner.

I'll reserve my judgement about the games until we see more than six seconds of new content.

I imagine we'll get different colour controllers, perhaps some third party "alternate shape ones" (perhaps a "GameCube-style" one).

One thing I didn't realise: the individual Joy-Cons have mini shoulder buttons on the connectors.

Hey all. Long time no post. Life stuff and all that!

A fascinating approach from Nintendo. Consolidating their handheld and home offerings into one unit using industry standard tech and development tools is very smart. Putting all of their major titles on a machine that can be taken anywhere for local multiplayer is also smart. Local Splatoon, Pokemon, Smash, Mario Kart from Nintendo amongst third party competitive titles will be fantastic for the teen crowd; and adults who have less time to play on a traditional TV set up.

I'm also hyped to see what further unveils remain. The VC will be fantastic if we can play every console on this (including GameCube) And what about Nvidia Gameshare? Would be a nice extra for PC gamers. Accounts/touch for mobile/DS/3DS ports and motion control for Wii B/C will surely come.

Can't wait until New Year now!

Edited by tapedeck

I really hope they include some kind of achievement system, maybe call them Stamps or Stickers or something Nintendo-y like that. It would be good if they could make them more useful than PS4 trophies which don't really amount to anything. Maybe they could unlock MyNintendo rewards or if they go with Stamps or Stickers you can use them to decorate your home screen or user profile page.

Hey all. Long time no post. Life stuff and all that!

A fascinating approach from Nintendo. Consolidating their handheld and home offerings into one unit using industry standard tech and development tools is very smart. Putting all of their major titles on a machine that can be taken anywhere for local multiplayer is also smart. Local Splatoon, Pokemon, Smash, Mario Kart from Nintendo amongst third party competitive titles will be fantastic for the teen crowd; and adults who have less time to play on a traditional TV set up.

I'm also hyped to see what further unveils remain. The VC will be fantastic if we can play every console on this (including GameCube) And what about Nvidia Gameshare? Would be a nice extra for PC gamers. Accounts/touch for mobile/DS/3DS ports and motion control for Wii B/C will surely come.

Can't wait until New Year now!

Nvidia game share? I'd not even dared to dream of possibilities of allowing the switch to operate like an Nvidia Shield! Fuck if they actually allowed that or similar then......that actually would be a megaton!

I don't really use or care that much about trophies (#noplatinums) but they have uses, even if it is just comparisons. Stickers are more Nintendo-ey, but I never used them either. Although it would be good if it was more tied to an event, from what I recall of games with stickers you just seem to get/find a sticker. The nice thing about trophies/achievements is it can offer a challenge if you are so inclined.

Basically I don't use things :heh:

Nvidia game share? I'd not even dared to dream of possibilities of allowing the switch to operate like an Nvidia Shield! Fuck if they actually allowed that or similar then......that actually would be a megaton!

That would be quite the boon indeed. It's perfectly possible too, given that the Switch basically stole the internals of the cancelled Nvidia Shield 2 ;)

Edited by Dcubed

Right then, my first post regarding the Nintendo Switch.

I thought the 3 minute introduction video was really well put together and explained the gimmick of the console very well. Its clear already they know how to market this thing.

Regarding the name, didn't like it at first but its growing on me. It doesn't have DS or Wii in the name so I'm happy with it.

Design wise, they have nailed it. It looks current, comfortable to hold and not cheap. I'm really impressed with how it looks.

Also, the Switch Pro Controller looks a great controller. I was a big fan of the Wii Classic Controller Pro & Wii U Pro Controller so that'll be my controller for Monster Hunter.

Monster Hunter... finally I can sit back and play it on the big screen again!

Regarding the games shown, I'm not sure showing so many Wii U ports (Mario Kart 8, Splatoon & I guess you can count Zelda) was the best move. I guess with the Wii U selling so poorly not many people got to experience these games but still. How many Wii U ports do you think they have planned in the first year?

I'll pick one up but I doubt it'll be at launch as I'll get Zelda on the Wii U and ports of Mario Kart 8 & Splatoon do nothing for me. I doubt they'll have Mario ready for launch.

Impressed so far but they have show more before Christmas as there will be a lot of people on the fence deciding whether to save their money to get this in March or spend it elsewhere.

There is some word going around that this is the successor to the WiiU and that the 3DS will have its own successor.

Seems kind of......hmmm......

The best thing Nintendo could ever do right now is have all of their teams work on one amazing console/hanheld hybrid.

There is some word going around that this is the successor to the WiiU and that the 3DS will have its own successor.

Seems kind of......hmmm......

The best thing Nintendo could ever do right now is have all of their teams work on one amazing console/hanheld hybrid.

If Nintendo were to release another console, then that would kill all the goodwill for the Switch. Suddenly the poor performance wouldn't be excusable.

I think the opposite. That if Nintendo have a second system in the works, it's a powerful, conventional console that will be on-par with PS5 and XBTwo, that will release at roughly the same time as those two.