NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

There seems to be more rumours flying around of Gaf from Laura Dale (who was spot on with the Leaks along with Rodgers) that the dock actually has some effect on the way it works, either by a direct boost to performance through some cleaver chipset or it simply provides a power/cooling option so the Switch overclocks and performs better

LINKY

But also rumors of 3 hour portable battery life - no word on if that with everything set to max, but Ninty do usually quote max performance figures for battery performance, and slow consider this is leaks based on Dev units, so perhaps retail models will have a larger battery (or option?)

If it does indeed boost performance in console mode, that should counter some doubt, and it makes sense not giving details on it just yet as it could confuse the message.

Right now i have to say nintendo are on point with the way and amount of message they've revealed, looks good, hype built and desire for more info is at fever pitch

The staff had a chinwag about the Switch reveal which you can read in...

N-Eaction: Nintendo Switch

content-4-34943-ns.jpg

:heart: puns

If the battery ends up being the same 3 - 5hrs you got with the original 3DS then I can't see it being much of a problem, but if you can only get 3hrs maximum then it's pretty poor.

It'll be interesting to see what the difference in battery life was between initial 3DS dev kits and the retail model but from what I remember the first wave of 3DS dev kits weren't exactly portable. Hopefully it's a case of Nintendo limiting the cost of the dev kits because ultra portability won't be too necessary for developers when testing and that the final retail units will contain a higher capacity battery.

This could never be my sole console.

I love the form factor but I'm very aware of the knock it will take in terms of power. And while that isn't inherently a problem, I do like a bit of ummff under the hood.

This will sit very happily by my PS4 Pro.

I am ever so slightly disappointed that the cradle doesn't have some kind of upscaling magic to help with the increased screen size (This clearly isn't built for my 55" 4K TV). But I don't really know how possible that is so I'm just going to accept it for what it is.

(On a side note, how quickly do you think either Sony or Microsoft could actually react to this? I always thought the PS Vita should have a TV Out. Sony really missed a trick...because this is what I wanted from that machine. And games. Some actual games on the Vita.)

yes but that's this gen. PS5 & XB2 will have portable screens without a shadow of a doubt

yes but that's this gen. PS5 & XB2 will have portable screens without a shadow of a doubt

If Switch takes off like Wii did, they certainly will.

Sony and Microsoft seem to be focusing more on graphical horsepower and becoming more of a media centre for the living room.

With the PS4 Pro and Project Scorpio I think this shows that both companies are going down the graphical horsepower route, also with the Vita not doing too great I cant see Sony going back into the portable market for quite some time.

I don't think Nintendo need worry about what Sony and MS are going to do.

One of the things I do worry about in concern to third party support is the chip architecture in the Switch. MS and Sony have recently switch to x86 chip architectures, which is the same as PC's. If the Switch uses a different architecture I can see this being used as an excuse by developers as to why they arent/wont port games over to the Switch.

---------------

OK, now for a bit of fun :grin:

Nintendo need to launch the Switch on Mar 10 (Mario Day) 2017

Why is 17 in bold you ask? Well, counting only SUPER Mario title's from Nintendo's Home Consoles and DS, there are 16 games*:

Super Mario Bros.

Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels

Super Mario Bros. 2

Super Mario Bros. 3

Super Mario World

Super Mario World 2 Yoshi's Island

Super Mario 64

Super Mario Sunshine

New Super Mario Bros.

Super Mario Galaxy

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Super Mario 3D Land

New Super Mario Bros. 2

New Super Mario Bros. U

Super Mario 3D World

So if the Switch launches on Mario day with the 17th Super Mario game, think of the marketing possibilities!

So there you have it, I have confirmed the system launch date and that Mario will be a launch title, no need to thank me :awesome:

*any proof to the contrary shall be ignored.

Sony and Microsoft seem to be focusing more on graphical horsepower and becoming more of a media centre for the living room.

With the PS4 Pro and Project Scorpio I think this shows that both companies are going down the graphical horsepower route, also with the Vita not doing too great I cant see Sony going back into the portable market for quite some time.

One of the things I do worry about in concern to third party support is the chip architecture in the Switch. MS and Sony have recently switch to x86 chip architectures, which is the same as PC's. If the Switch uses a different architecture I can see this being used as an excuse by developers as to why they arent/wont port games over to the Switch.

---------------

Why is 17 in bold you ask? Well, counting only SUPER Mario title's from Nintendo's Home Consoles and DS, there are 16 games*:

Super Mario Bros.

Super Mario Bros. 2

Super Mario Bros. 3

Super Mario World

Super Mario 64

Super Mario Sunshine

New Super Mario Bros.

Super Mario Galaxy

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Super Mario 3D Land

New Super Mario Bros. 2

New Super Mario Bros. U

Super Mario 3D World

So if the Switch launches on Mario day with the 17th Super Mario game, think of the marketing possibilities!

So there you have it, I have confirmed the system launch date and that Mario will be a launch title, no need to thank me :awesome:

The early leeks were saying it's very easy to develop for so porting shouldn't be an issue.

---------------

Super Mario Bros.

Super Mario Bros. 2

Super Mario Bros. 3

Super Mario World

Super Mario 64

Super Mario Sunshine

New Super Mario Bros.

Super Mario Galaxy

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Super Mario 3D Land

New Super Mario Bros. 2

New Super Mario Bros. U

Super Mario 3D World

Mario Day is even on a Friday in 2017, so it works perfectly! I definitely hope you're correct. :grin:

Well except video games release on a Tuesday in America if I recall correctly.

It would be cool though. Perhaps most on the nose video game marketing since Sonic 2sday.

Well except video games release on a Tuesday in America if I recall correctly.

Pfft, who cares about how the inferior regions work. Everyone knows Fridays are the best for video game releases, just in time for spending the entire weekend enjoying the games. ;)

It's another gimmick pure and simple. But it comes in two bits. The small screen which seems to be nothing more than a convenience if you wish to travel via plane to a hotel where they have a Switch dock ready, the other half being the joy-con rubbish... this small control multiplayer aspect will only be applicable to those numbering 2+ who can't play on the big screen (the trailer shows those on joy-con playing on the small screen) which most games will not implement this. Watch the Wii trailer where the guy "makes Mario jump" with the remote... but I don't recall seeing a game which did that.

It's another gimmick pure and simple. But it comes in two bits. The small screen which seems to be nothing more than a convenience if you wish to travel via plane to a hotel where they have a Switch dock ready, the other half being the joy-con rubbish... this small control multiplayer aspect will only be applicable to those numbering 2+ who can't play on the big screen (the trailer shows those on joy-con playing on the small screen) which most games will not implement this. Watch the Wii trailer where the guy "makes Mario jump" with the remote... but I don't recall seeing a game which did that.

Well, it's a concept trailer, so realism isn't really taken into account, nor should it. But it conveys the idea pretty clearly. The dude was watching a blank screen anyways, with games added in post-production. And I remember times when rumble, dual analogue stick and online gaming were considered gimmicky. ;) Reviewers called dual analogues uncomfortable, unintuitive and unlikely to ever take off. Online was regarded as a simply sidedish. Now whole franshises are built around it. I don't see this as a mere gimmick. It pretty substantial. How history will favour it? Only time will tell, as with VR. Tony Hawk was so sure his skateboatd would revolutionise gaming. Motion controls were the future. Now it looks like a interesting yet flawed experiment.

This looks like a hassle-free version of PS4's and Vita's remote play, a great yet rather restricted feature.

You can play on the telly if you want. You don't have to take it with you. But you have the possibility and choice to do so, even as a mere convenience. That's still a great step from not getting away at all.

Edited by Strange Cookie

One thing that concerns me a bit is that it appears the only option is to stand the dock upright and it looks quite tall, I'm not sure it will fit anywhere on my tv cabinet.

I think you need to be gay.

I gathered, but I'd like to think I'm a man of the world, but don't know and of the meanings behind the words... I hate missing out on jokes! :(

I don't think you get taught the meanings unless you're gay. It's like a cool secret club.

The small screen which seems to be nothing more than a convenience if you wish to travel via plane to a hotel where they have a Switch dock ready

The 3DS seems to be fairly popular. Surely people would be interested in the Switch due to it being an ultra powerful 3DS successor?

Moving to a single console allows Nintendo to focus more on the games and is better for third parties.