NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

It looks... Okayish?

I'm almost hoping it doesn't look like that. The whole "things snap off so you can play with others" angle is still going down that bringing people together shizzle that they've been pumping out ever since they explained that Wii was like "we".

Depending on the price I'm not sure I'd be happy taking it out the house.

Just a quick thought with regards to the account set-up, maybe your account will be tied to the tablet portion and the dock will come separate but allow any tablet to be docked. I.e. if three or four people in one household owned a tablet each, only one dock would be required for big screen gaming. This way each user would have their own software, saves, gamer info and themes on their own device and the dock would simply allow big-screen gaming using their own profile. That would mostly make transferring accounts to different devices redundant. Also interesting if two tablets can be used with one dock (wia WiFi or bluetooth) to allow asymmetrical gaming a la Wii U.

Just a quick thought with regards to the account set-up, maybe your account will be tied to the tablet portion and the dock will come separate but allow any tablet to be docked. I.e. if three or four people in one household owned a tablet each, only one dock would be required for big screen gaming. This way each user would have their own software, saves, gamer info and themes on their own device and the dock would simply allow big-screen gaming using their own profile. That would mostly make transferring accounts to different devices redundant. Also interesting if two tablets can be used with one dock (wia WiFi or bluetooth) to allow asymmetrical gaming a la Wii U.

I would not want this at all.

Can you imagine the parent who gets this for their kid only to bring it home and realise they had to buy the dock separately for them to be able to play on the TV? Everything needs to come in the box as one to keep things as simple as possible.

All they need to do to solve their account infrastructure is copy Sony/Microsoft and not tie accounts/purchases to that one piece of hardware.

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about the rediculously small controllers. They're gimmicky Gameboy Micro small and also have reduced functionality at the loss of the shoulder buttons - will drastically limit what games you can use them for in multiplayer surely...

Also whilst the wiimote nunchuck combo was ergonomically friendly, these look a bit flat and flimsy.

They need Will Smith backing this... "SWITCH..."

Edited by Retro_Link

Just upping the resolution makes them look nice.

They won't be like huge 3D overworlds like Breath of the Wild. Game Freak are unlikely to do that

Think those but with better textures.

The Pokémon models are ridiculously detailed as is, so it's just the overworld and battle backgrounds that reuire work

I bet that they'll work with Namco and make Gen 8 using a modified Pokken engine. The battles already work in much the same way in terms of camera movement and such (and it's all arena based). Just remove the fighting gameplay aspect and make it menu based; then re-use the camera engine, the rendering engine etc. They'll have to reuse the existing models from Sun/Moon (there's no feasible way of them making 800+ models at Pokken's fidelity, no way in hell; not even for Namco), but use the same rendering engine (so same lighting, shading etc).

There's no way on this planet that Game Freak are making Gen 8 on their own. They're struggling to make 3DS games, let alone a massive HD project. Namco are the obvious partner, not only because they're Nintendo's go-to, but because they worked on Pokken with TPC before...

As for the overworld... Maybe adapt the engine used for Xenoblade X? That doesn't mean that the game would be of the same scale (no way is that feasible), but Pokemon games are and have always been open world in structure, so why not re-use the fancy shmancy HD 3D open world engine that you already have (hell Breath of the Wild is almost certainly using a variant of Xenoblade X's engine, so there's precedent there). Monolith have a lot of history with Namco too, so there's precedent in that regard too!

It's all about re-using as much as you possibly can. Hell, you could say that the initial launch lineup is all about that anyway (MK8.5, Splatoon Switch, Skyrim Switch etc), only fitting!

Can you imagine the parent who gets this for their kid only to bring it home and realise they had to buy the dock separately for them to be able to play on the TV? Everything needs to come in the box as one to keep things as simple as possible.

All they need to do to solve their account infrastructure is copy Sony/Microsoft and not tie accounts/purchases to that one piece of hardware.

I was just being realistic when it comes to Nintendo ;) I do think they should sell it as a bundle, obviously. But the option to buy just the tablet as a 'handheld' option for a lower price may appeal to parents, kind of like a 2DS. I realise this all needs to be explained thoroughly though and knowing Nintendo...

But this also would allow you to buy "2" consoles for less money. It's not a bad idea (one dock and more tablets).

I am not talking about accounts, obviously, just about hardware options.

Laura Kate Dale ‏@LaurakBuzz 25s25 seconds ago

To those asking about battery life on Nintendo Switch, I'm hearing "mediocre" battery life.

Uh oh. I wonder how bad?

So you're going with its a handheld?

In that case...thoughts?

;)

I will miss dual screens and clamshell design. I still maintain it's best for handhelds

switch01_small.jpg

Whats the odd finger size cut out to the rear of the 'dock'? does something fit in there?

And for what initially seems like just a dock it is exceptionally thick, could the previous rumors of some hardware to boost power be true? it cant just be to operate some USB's

Uh oh. I wonder how bad?

Everything has bad battery life these days. Expect around 2-4 hours at best.

I bet that they'll work with Namco and make Gen 8 using a modified Pokken engine. The battles already work in much the same way in terms of camera movement and such (and it's all arena based). Just remove the fighting gameplay aspect and make it menu based; then re-use the camera engine, the rendering engine etc. They'll have to reuse the existing models from Sun/Moon (there's no feasible way of them making 800+ models at Pokken's fidelity, no way in hell; not even for Namco), but use the same rendering engine (so same lighting, shading etc).

There's no way on this planet that Game Freak are making Gen 8 on their own. They're struggling to make 3DS games, let alone a massive HD project. Namco are the obvious partner, not only because they're Nintendo's go-to, but because they worked on Pokken with TPC before...

As for the overworld... Maybe adapt the engine used for Xenoblade X? That doesn't mean that the game would be of the same scale (no way is that feasible), but Pokemon games are and have always been open world in structure, so why not re-use the fancy shmancy HD 3D open world engine that you already have (hell Breath of the Wild is almost certainly using a variant of Xenoblade X's engine, so there's precedent there). Monolith have a lot of history with Namco too, so there's precedent in that regard too!

It's all about re-using as much as you possibly can. Hell, you could say that the initial launch lineup is all about that anyway (MK8.5, Splatoon Switch, Skyrim Switch etc), only fitting!

Na I don't see that. Pokkén is an entirely different beast. The current engine works fine and the models are the right quality required for HD gaming. Just bump up the textures.

I don't think the overworld will change that much. It'd be like it is in Sun & Moon, which is a full 3D overworld, but not an open world

Very irrelevant and might have been said already, but has anyone else noticed that the switch logo sort of looks like the yin yang symbol?

Everything has bad battery life these days. Expect around 2-4 hours at best.

4-5 would be fine. Has to have USB charging though

Really wasn't interested in the NX all that much until now. Curse you Nintendo, how do you always pull me back in! This had better make up for the Wii U... from the looks of it I think it will!

At one point watching the trailer I got the impression that you could fit the "joy-con" around a smartphone device - it looks like there might be enough space (albeit it might only be compatible with certain phones etc). Who knows I'm just speculating. :P

I don't think that the docked-screen is going to have touch control. How could you use the touch screen when its docked? It could be used for certain "on the go" parts of the game but even then it will be a bit weird.

Anyway I can't wait to hear more about the games

I'm pretty sure that it's not a touch-screen, nor is it dual screen, so you won't be using the tablet while playing on your TV. Just guessing really, but they didn't show any touch functionality in the trailer. If it's not, I won't miss it at all.

I'd 100% say it's not a dual screen, given by the docking cover up. Touch I guess remains unspecified/said(surely will be?) but at least they're quite good/clear with the dock in the reveal that it's one screen at a time.

I don't think that the docked-screen is going to have touch control. How could you use the touch screen when its docked? It could be used for certain "on the go" parts of the game but even then it will be a bit weird.

There is no way they'll have you running to the dock mid game for a touch screen moment.

Although knowing them...

Whats the odd finger size cut out to the rear of the 'dock'? does something fit in there?

And for what initially seems like just a dock it is exceptionally thick, could the previous rumors of some hardware to boost power be true? it cant just be to operate some USB's

Someone on NWR posted a picture of a dev kit and the dock section of that looks like the block on the back of the dock in these images. Hopefully it contains more computing power, but it could just contain the Ethernet, HDMI and USB ports.

1476927537715.jpg

Edited by killthenet

4-5 would be fine. Has to have USB charging though

No way on this planet that is happening. You're in lala land.

What smart devices (tablet or phone) even comes close to that while playing a high end game? (repeat, while playing a high end game - remember that these devices throttle down in most cases and use up significantly less juice when doing most non-game things)

The New3DS lasts for around 3-6 hours at best. This thing is orders of magnitude more powerful! 2-4 hours and that's if you're lucky (more likely it'll be 1.5-2.5 at best)

Someone on NWR posted a picture of a dev kit and the dock section of that looks like the block on the back of the dock in these images. Hopefully it contains more computing power, but it could just contain the Ethernet, HDMI and USB ports.

Well, in the trailer, Zelda BOTW seems to run at a lower framerate when undocked than when played on the TV... (could just be a bad capture, but I doubt that). So there's definitely something going on with the dock (could just be throttling the processor speeds when played undocked, with the full speed only being unleashed when plugged in, or it could be actual additional hardware. Who knows?)

Edited by Dcubed

Dunno if posted but it seems to be a new Mario Kart-game

Two items can be held at a time.

Another small detail I like is that they seem to have reverted back to the good ol' Nintendo red for their logo. ;) It's not GC-indigo (That was truely Funky!)... but still nice and classic! :p

There is no way they'll have you running to the dock mid game for a touch screen moment.

Although knowing them...

Haha could be a new spin on the 'Wii Fit' idea :p

Dunno if posted but it seems to be a new Mario Kart-game

Two items can be held at a time.

Yeah its looks like a MK:8.5 so far. Not only are there 2 item slots but King Boo is playable? Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember him being in it at all.

The other games that were shown seem to have no HUD on the TV which is strange, I wonder why they seem to be hiding it.

Some positives:

1) I liked how they focused on pro-gamers near the end. I like how they are reminding the hardcore that they have not been forgotten so I would hope their online system will be on par.

2) I like how it looks. Very sleek, sexy, PSP-stylee which is not a bad thing at all.

3) They showed what looked like a proper 3d mario game

4) The song in the reveal is so catchy. I've must have watch it about 10 times already :P

Edited by Sooj