NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Ah, i'm happy to be corrected!

Just wanted to show this post respect - Not afraid to admit he might be wrong as opposed to loop-de-looping conversations for the battle of the last word... Just saying. : peace:

I guess the main thing to consider is that games will come on cartridges/discs*, so storage isn't as important. It all depends on how much of a role digital content will play. 32gb will be fine if it's just used for saves and a few downloadable retro games. If the console is digital only or they really push digital games, 32gb is nowhere near enough.

*I assume. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If GC games will be on the VC - does anyone know roughly how big the average game is? (or games like MGS:TS and REmake that had multiple discs)

Perhaps 32gb will be the NX's 'basic' model and the 'deluxe' with 64-128gb costing 25-50% more. I think that would be fair for everyone.

Edited by King_V
Automerged Doublepost

Just gonna go ahead and quote myself and bold a bit. I stand by everything I said, the two can be and will be compared.

But yes, 32GB would be more than hugely disappointing. Considering for a consumer 64GB can be had around $20 (high speed designed to even record and playback 4K video). There's no excuse for at least 128, which given how games are on the PS4/Xbone still isn't enough and won't last long at all.

You really can compare the two though, ignoring memory types and looking at capacity, anyone making digital purchases will quickly see that they need to expand their memory in someway. That's true even for the 500GB PS4, hence why larger models are now offered.

To add onto that, that is the price for me to order from Amazon. $20 for a 64GB Sandisk SD card. I am positive a manufacturer buying in bulk will be paying lower prices. Also from Amazon $40 for a 128GB SD card. There's little reason to offer only 32 as far as I'm concerned.

Comparing to Apple is only good insofar as showing a device with lots of memory. The price on Apple products are prohibitively high, purely because Apple knows they can charge a huge premium for more storage. There is literally no reason for a $100 bump from 16-64 and the same for 64-128. (I.e $200 to go 16-128 when 128 is a $40 card....)

Edit: As a quick aside, it's silly to think an HDD needs to be 100% still. Have you never used a laptop on the move? Or slightly more similar, the original Zune and iPod models had actual Hard Drives in them as well. It's not a perfect solution, but they do work in small mobile applications. The bigger issue with them is size weight heat and power consumption are all higher than flash.

Edited by Nolan

If GC games will be on the VC - does anyone know roughly how big the average game is? (or games like MGS:TS and REmake that had multiple discs)

Perhaps 32gb will be the NX's 'basic' model and the 'deluxe' with 64-128gb costing 25-50% more. I think that would be fair for everyone.

I think the size limit for GC discs was 1.5gb so for most games it should be less than 1gb easy on VC, the double disc ones you're on about will likely be 3gb max, but I doubt there's that much more than 1.5gb on them.

I'd be okay with them offering different storage amounts, but I think they've learned from the Wii U basic package not to release totally gimped SKU's. My brother is the only person I know that's got one of the 8gb Wii U's and if he didn't have an external hard drive then he probably wouldn't even have been able to install the Smash Bros. patches.

I think the size limit for GC discs was 1.5gb so for most games it should be less than 1gb easy on VC, the double disc ones you're on about will likely be 3gb max, but I doubt there's that much more than 1.5gb on them.

I'd be okay with them offering different storage amounts, but I think they've learned from the Wii U basic package not to release totally gimped SKU's. My brother is the only person I know that's got one of the 8gb Wii U's and if he didn't have an external hard drive then he probably wouldn't even have been able to install the Smash Bros. patches.

8gb was criminal lol. I wasn't big on downloads back then, but the little I did download - mainly apps - was already an issue. Though tbf I guess it was just Wii U only for the basic buy the disc experience.

I guess the main thing to consider is that games will come on cartridges/discs*, so storage isn't as important. It all depends on how much of a role digital content will play. 32gb will be fine if it's just used for saves and a few downloadable retro games. If the console is digital only or they really push digital games, 32gb is nowhere near enough.

*I assume. Correct me if I'm wrong.

why should it matter if games come on cartridges. no matter which way you look at it. 32GB internal isnt enough.

remember 32GB wont be all available to use by the way as memory will be needed for the OS.

lets say 28GB is usable being generous.

day 1 NX buyer gets his machine home and looks on the eshop. sees two 18GB games he wants to buy and didnt bother buying an SD card.

we have a problem!

64GB should be a minimum if you ask me.

Edited by khilafah

why should it matter if games come on cartridges. no matter which way you look at it. 32GB internal isnt enough.

remember 32GB wont be all available to use by the way as memory will be needed for the OS.

lets say 28GB is usable being generous.

day 1 NX buyer gets his machine home and looks on the eshop. sees two 18GB games he wants to buy and didnt bother buying an SD card.

we have a problem!

64GB should be a minimum if you ask me.

I don't disagree, but the only reason cartridge vs disc usage is important in this aspect is that cartridges have such greatly reduced read times that installing shouldn't be necessary with physical games. As opposed to PS4 and Xbone both require info off of the disc to be installed to the console often in excess of multiple GB, and loading times still aren't always great. (Bloodborne)

As soon as you consider the digital aspect though...yeah

32 is pretty terrible. I'm hoping for a bigger harden experience on the dock and then moving software about or sd cards for handheld unit. But I think that's a dream. As long as we can play games off sd cards it's not a huge problem. But as digital sales are increasing every single year Nintendo do really are putting a little speed bump in front of people to buy it.

Ah, i'm happy to be corrected!

No, you aren't.

Anyhoo - put me in the camp of wanting at least 64GB minimum(from a general sense PoV). If games are on cartridges then at least that's one thing and doesn't need to take up much space outside of patches etc - but I think 64GB would be suitable starting amount(with some SD expansion) to be going along with downloadable titles etc. I think for a handheld-capable machine downloadables have more of an appeal due to the lack of need to carry round lots of cartridges with you etc.

As for the comparison to phones - call me sceptical but I'd daresay they keep memory amounts down there not just to cut the tiny costs of it, but also to make it more likely for you to upgrade the phone sooner as apps evolve and start to get bigger and more used etc. Also as a games console it's going to be having things much bigger than your everyday phone app.

Edited by Rummy

No, you aren't.

Anyhoo - put me in the camp of wanting at least 64GB minimum(from a general sense PoV). If games are on cartridges then at least that's one thing and doesn't need to take up much space outside of patches etc - but I think 64GB would be suitable starting amount(with some SD expansion) to be going along with downloadable titles etc. I think for a handheld-capable machine downloadables have more of an appeal due to the lack of need to carry round lots of cartridges with you etc.

As for the comparison to phones - call me sceptical but I'd daresay they keep memory amounts down there not just to cut the tiny costs of it, but also to make it more likely for you to upgrade the phone sooner as apps evolve and start to get bigger and more used etc. Also as a games console it's going to be having things much bigger than your everyday phone app.

IPhone maybe but android not really as you get SD card slots.

Don't make me happy. You won't like me when I'm happy...

IPhone maybe but android not really as you get SD card slots.

Whilst true - don't most these days emulate the internal storage as external storage and you can't actually neccessarily run much off said actual external storage ie SD cards? Admittedly I'm still rocking an S3 mini but most things can't be installed to the actual SD card like I used to with my older phones. I generally end up juggling apps into the 8GB these days.

Now consider downloadable games etc - how quick can one fill up a 32GB, especially if as someone suggested, if GC games come to it in addition to the bits used for everything else?

Whilst true - don't most these days emulate the internal storage as external storage and you can't actually neccessarily run much off said actual external storage ie SD cards? Admittedly I'm still rocking an S3 mini but most things can't be installed to the actual SD card like I used to with my older phones. I generally end up juggling apps into the 8GB these days.

Now consider downloadable games etc - how quick can one fill up a 32GB, especially if as someone suggested, if GC games come to it in addition to the bits used for everything else?

With Marshmallow you can adopt the storage so the SD card becomes part of the internal storage but there is really no need as marshmallow allows you apps to be moved to the SD card anyway.

Lollipop was a problem as it took away the option to move apps to external storage.

It's hard to say really. GC games had maxes between 1.5 and 3GB depending on how many discs, but I'm sure there were plenty of games that don't even reach 1.5GB. Then we also know nothing of the OS and how much space will be reserved for it. But assuming worst case in game size and best case on OS 32/1.5=21 GC games. Factor in possible apps, and NX games, patches, DLC, and other, VC games, OS data, and save data. 32 could get eaten up quickly.

Downloading games is a lot more common place these days as well don't forget. A lot of people prefer to use the digital market instead of buying physical media and games can easily go up to 50gbs. I understand the limitations given how Nintendo are supposedly designing the NX but 32gbs is a ridiculously small amount of space given the world we live in. Hopefully as people have said, they'll be able to run games from SD cards but I still dont like the idea of having to buy more memory straight away.

With the recent mentions of GC titles, I really hope that they're available on the NX VC along with NES, SNES, N64, Wii and even Wii U titles, if possible. If Nintendo can also add GB, GBC, GBA, DS and 3DS titles to the service, it really would be the ultimate Nintendo console :hehe:

For me, though, it's essential that all of these platforms can be played with the NX controller without the need to purchase any other peripherals. From what we know so far, it sounds like all of those control setups may be catered for but we need to hear if there are analogue triggers present. That's something that concerns me more than the storage situation, at present :eek:

When thinking about storage space for NX, we definitely need to remember that Nintendo are incredibly efficient when it comes to the compression of their games.

For example:

Wii U:

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U = 13.85 GB

Hyrule Warriors = 7.88 GB

Yoshi's Woolly World = 7.80 GB

Star Fox Zero = 6.99 GB

Wii Party U = 6.41 GB

Pikmin 3 = 4.44 GB

Mario Kart 8 = 4.02 GB

Game & Wario = 3.94 GB

Nintendo Land = 3.49 GB

Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush = 3.42 GB

Super Mario 3D World = 2.37 GB

Splatoon = 2.24 GB

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker = 1.87 GB

Super Mario Maker = 884 MB

3DS:

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D = 2.15 GB

Pokémon X/Y = 1.68 GB

Fire Emblem: Awakening = 1.04 GB

Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon = 843.5 MB

Animal Crossing New Leaf = 750.25 MB

Mario Kart 7 = 635.38 MB

Star Fox 64 3D = 577.38 MB

Paper Mario: Sticker Star = 525.25 MB

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D = 455.75 MB

New Super Mario Bros. 2 = 341.25 MB

Super Mario 3D Land = 290.13 MB

Mario Tennis Open = 252.38 MB

Pilotwings Resort = 93.375 MB

Freakyforms Deluxe: Your Creations Alive! = 78.25 MB

I imagine the majority of people will continue to purchase physical versions of games too, meaning only save data will probably need to be stored on the system itself (and perhaps not even that, if the cart rumour ends up being true. :hehe:) and digital exclusives, which are generally much smaller than retail titles anyway.

32-64GB carts are plenty big enough. No Wii U game ever took up more than 25GB anyway (and as Redshell rightfully pointed out, Nintendo's own games take up waaaaayyyy less than that).

When thinking about storage space for NX, we definitely need to remember that Nintendo are incredibly efficient when it comes to the compression of their games.

For example:

I imagine the majority of people will continue to purchase physical versions of games too, meaning only save data will probably need to be stored on the system itself (and perhaps not even that, if the cart rumour ends up being true. :hehe:) and digital exclusives, which are generally much smaller than retail titles anyway.

Don't you remember that games that are 1.4GB aren't next gen? :p

For example:

They are but I thought we agreed we need third parties?

:heh:

Your list is a little skewed. Donkey Kong on the 3DS, but not the Wii U list. 11.4 GB

Don't you remember that games that are 1.4GB aren't next gen? :p

I don't play any game less than 44GB, otherwise what's the point?

32-64GB carts are plenty big enough. No Wii U game ever took up more than 25GB anyway (and as Redshell rightfully pointed out, Nintendo's own games take up waaaaayyyy less than that).

The fact that no single game took up all of the available storage space is barely true. Lego City clocks in at 22GB. Now disregarding that, it's just silly to say "32GB is fine because no single game is that large." Should we only care about more storage once games are literally as large as our storage? Personally I like having more than one game installed at a time. It's pretty convenient to not have to redownload a game each time I might want to play.

And it's great that Nintendo games are typically much smaller, but you can max out the Wii U with just 2 titles. Donkey Kong and Smash Bros.

Your list is a little skewed. Donkey Kong on the 3DS, but not the Wii U list. 11.4 GB

The fact that no single game took up all of the available storage space is barely true. Lego City clocks in at 22GB. Now disregarding that, it's just silly to say "32GB is fine because no single game is that large." Should we only care about more storage once games are literally as large as our storage? Personally I like having more than one game installed at a time. It's pretty convenient to not have to redownload a game each time I might want to play.

And it's great that Nintendo games are typically much smaller, but you can max out the Wii U with just 2 titles. Donkey Kong and Smash Bros.

I'm sure there's something about lossless compression here; there's techniques for cartridges/cards that let you fit waaaay more data than it says it can hold, wheras bluray holds so much they don't really bother with high end compression at all anymore. In the end, storage wise, it may make no difference. Unless I've been hearing fibs.

I was talking about the Game Card storage, not the internal storage. I think they should aim for 64GB minimum for internal flash personally (I really doubt they'd go any higher than 128GB).

Obviously the thing will support SD Cards/USB as well for additional storage.

I was talking about the Game Card storage, not the internal storage. I think they should aim for 64GB minimum for internal flash personally (I really doubt they'd go any higher than 128GB).

Obviously the thing will support SD Cards/USB as well for additional storage.

Well my mistake on that. Yeah game card, 32 should be plenty.

Maybe the portable NX will have 32GB and supports sd cards. And the docking station has a 1TB HDD in it for storing your total library. When you boot up in 'at home mode', you decide which content you want to 'transfer' to the mobile drive.