NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Well not one game with motion controls has ever made me feel like I had more precise aim control than using a pad. I'm certainly no FPS novice either, both on Wii/Wii U and traditional aim consoles.

Some of you are talking about Metroid Prime in your example but this is a rather low skill FPS game. I don't believe for a second you could easily pull off snipes in a game like Destiny with anywhere near the same accuracy.

Unless your arm is stabilised against something literally all the time then I don't see how you can get the same level of stability as a pad.

I think anyone aiming at a fixed spot on the screen on the Wii menu would see some degree of jitter. I totally get that it means you can aim in the general vicinity of an enemy faster for some people though (as some people use low sensitivity on their sticks so it takes them a while to aim).

Edited by Sheikah

Does anyone's arm not get tired pointing a Wii remote at the TV for a substantial period of time? Because that's what put me off, particularly anything that does require accuracy.

I find it weird anyone would think sticks are better than Pointer sensor. It can't compete for accuracy or the sheer speed of it. Throw in the almost digital analogue sticks of the ps4 and there really is no comparison.

I guess it's what you're used to though!

You're right, it doesn't compete. Pad controls throttle it in terms of accuracy, and the industry/gamers support the pad. ;)

Let's let pointer controls transition to the domain of VR and we'll all be happy.

Can you link me to a screen grab where she says that or at least to an article that mentions it? I tried to search for it but couldn't find much, just something mentioning that prototypes only had 32gb of internal storage.

I don't really trust Emily Rogers' view on things, I'm not exactly sure what qualifies her to know anything and much of what she has predicted for Nintendo in general has been wrong. It's still interesting to hear rumours though.

Ah yes, that's what she was saying, but surely if the prototype does then the final retail one would? Renegade kid said they've never made changes like that before, but you never know.

This has been brought up before, and she seems to always be right as far as I'm concerned. It was her that first brought up this hybrid business, and most things she says gets backed up by other people and sites.

Does anyone's arm not get tired pointing a Wii remote at the TV for a substantial period of time? Because that's what put me off, particularly anything that does require accuracy.

Not at all; and this comes from someone who has had more than one 10+ hour multiplayer session on Pikmin 3!! Though maybe the adrenalin of how incredible Bingo Battle is helps me through the pain barrier!

You're right, it doesn't compete. Pad controls throttle it in terms of accuracy, and the industry/gamers support the pad. ;)

Let's let pointer controls transition to the domain of VR and we'll all be happy.

Ha, well yes, the industry does seem to have decided. Give the option and all is good!

Maybe motion for VR is what will start making it the standard across all platforms?!

32gb storage for a handheld is fine no?

Not if it's supposed to be more powerful than the wii u and Smash Wii U is over 20gig.... 5g OS, that doesn't leave much room for other games!

32gb storage for a handheld is fine no?

It really isn't. I bought a 64GB card for my Vita.

Add microSD slot support and then it doesn't even become an issue.

Can games run off micro SD/SD? Games of that size? If so then yeah, no problems!

Not at all; and this comes from someone who has had more than one 10+ hour multiplayer session on Pikmin 3!! Though maybe the adrenalin of how incredible Bingo Battle is helps me through the pain barrier!

Maybe I just need to hit the gym harder!

Can games run off micro SD/SD? Games of that size? If so then yeah, no problems!

A quick Google and people have apparently run games like GTA IV and StarCraft 2 this way. So I guess so?

How would people feel about a battery pack. Something that slots on to the controller to extend the battery life if you're aware (sacrificing looks as these things always do)?

Would that be reasonable if the console itself got say 5 hours battery and that added 3? I don't know, how much time do people spend on handhelds? Barely play them myself!

I did wonder about this having just bought a portable charger/pack for my phone(tbh don't know why I haven't used it since) - but is it another expense and another carry/faff to deal with? Ofc if we're in an age where it's becoming more commonplace AND the NX might have some standard port charger(ie Micro B) or a USB-to-proprietary port cable included then it's certainly something.

Also giving a mini-shout for screen/pointer controls over a pad, if though I prefer the latter. I can see the speed/swiftness of pointer controls coming closer to mouse+keyboard than a pad, but I'm not that kinda guy traditionally.

Re: storage really I think anything less than 100GB is not really going to be acceptable. I see the possibility of 'downloading' games to your device for travel, though I really hope it won't if sizes are large due to time taken in 'transfers' and the limited nature. Something cart based(mostly for ease of size) makes sense to me tbh. I realise disc-based media is probably infinitely cheaper than cart based but how much is your markup truly going to be on it compared?

While I prefer using the Wii Remote & Nunchuk for aiming rather than dual analogue sticks (something I've never really been a fan of) I do see the benefits of both and can see why several of you differ on the matter. Ultimately, the NX looks like it may have analogue input in addition to motion so that seems like it can cater for everyone :smile:

As for the issue of storage space, 32GB may indeed seem low but it shouldn't be a problem at all if you can easily expand the memory available with a high capacity SD card :hehe: It needs to be a simple thing to do, though, as I dislike complications and frustrations in this area. I refuse to buy an HDD for my Wii U but I don't imagine I'll need one anyway, at this stage :heh:

Hated Metroid Prime Trilogies controls. To the point that I couldn't get into it. Ruined it for me.

I did wonder about this having just bought a portable charger/pack for my phone(tbh don't know why I haven't used it since) - but is it another expense and another carry/faff to deal with? Ofc if we're in an age where it's becoming more commonplace AND the NX might have some standard port charger(ie Micro B) or a USB-to-proprietary port cable included then it's certainly something.

Also giving a mini-shout for screen/pointer controls over a pad, if though I prefer the latter. I can see the speed/swiftness of pointer controls coming closer to mouse+keyboard than a pad, but I'm not that kinda guy traditionally.

Re: storage really I think anything less than 100GB is not really going to be acceptable. I see the possibility of 'downloading' games to your device for travel, though I really hope it won't if sizes are large due to time taken in 'transfers' and the limited nature. Something cart based(mostly for ease of size) makes sense to me tbh. I realise disc-based media is probably infinitely cheaper than cart based but how much is your markup truly going to be on it compared?

Given most of their handheld consoles (all?) for a while haven't even come with a plug I imagine if there was a battery pack it would be an additional add-on!

What are the things people are most excited about with all these rumours and what are people most terrified of?

Excited:

- The level of output of first part games on one system

- Having such a powerful handheld console

- Nintendo learning from their mistakes and seeing great online functionality in the new mario/pikmin/sports games and such

- Seeing how miiverse, street pass and other services develop

- The whole concept of playing on a big screen and then taking it with you somewhere

Worried

- battery life

- storage

- nintendo not learning

- the controllers being a bit naff, they sound like they easily could be

- 3rd parties being seen more absent

Regarding motion controls for shooters: I think it works better for run and gun games due to being able to aim quicker, but lacks the precision for sniping etc because when you pull the trigger in the underside of the pad, you inherently move the pad itself slightly. You don't get the same problems with sticks.

What are the things people are most excited about with all these rumours and what are people most terrified of?

Excited:

- The level of output of first part games on one system

- Having such a powerful handheld console

- Nintendo learning from their mistakes and seeing great online functionality in the new mario/pikmin/sports games and such

- Seeing how miiverse, street pass and other services develop

- The whole concept of playing on a big screen and then taking it with you somewhere

This. The concept sounds fantastic, the local-multiplayer-anywhere concept could be a huge hit, and the doubled first party output on one system are all very exciting.

Of course I mean with SD support which it no doubt will have.

Not if it's supposed to be more powerful than the wii u and Smash Wii U is over 20gig.... 5g OS, that doesn't leave much room for other games!

External memory cards can do that

Well, and I mean this in the nicest possible way, but that just comes across as inflexible to me. I mean, how hard is it to point at something in a first person game like Metroid Prime? Instead, you'd rather hold down the R button and clumsily move the reticle with a control stick? I can't comprehend playing a game like that with "Standard" controls. Not after I've already played it with the Wii Remote.

Right, I forgot that Metroid had a dated aiming system. I really meant that dual analogue is a better way of controlling than motion controls, not the old "R" method.

Emily Rogers now saying Dev kits are region free and expects the final version to also be region free!

Well not one game with motion controls has ever made me feel like I had more precise aim control than using a pad. I'm certainly no FPS novice either, both on Wii/Wii U and traditional aim consoles.

Some of you are talking about Metroid Prime in your example but this is a rather low skill FPS game. I don't believe for a second you could easily pull off snipes in a game like Destiny with anywhere near the same accuracy.

Unless your arm is stabilised against something literally all the time then I don't see how you can get the same level of stability as a pad.

I think anyone aiming at a fixed spot on the screen on the Wii menu would see some degree of jitter. I totally get that it means you can aim in the general vicinity of an enemy faster for some people though (as some people use low sensitivity on their sticks so it takes them a while to aim).

You should've seen me snipe in Call of Duty!

I'm no slouch with a pad myself, members on here can attest to that, but with the Wiimote I was beating guys at close range who used even a sub-machine gun on a regular basis. It was insanely unfair when I used a sniper rifle on CoD.

Nice, though I'd still buy a Japanese one and an English one

If it's region free what else makes them different besides the plug?

If it's region free what else makes them different besides the plug?

Eshops I'd imagine.

Yeah, even the online shops on PSN & XBL aren't Region Free. Plus, I'll need to keep them separate for connectivity reasons. It's for the best really