NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Maybe. This one http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2016/07/26/nintendo-nx-is-reportedly-a-handheld-console-with-tv-dock-less-powerful-than-ps4

WSJ say that "the NX would be a handheld-console hybrid that would be compatible with its own smartphone games."

Thanks... I found that link but when I clicked on it it redirected me to a French variant :weep: It's working now though!

I found an article quoting that from January though... is the WSJ thing recent, or does it come from that original earlier one?

And in tweet form:

[tweet]758395625398415360[/tweet]

And in tweet form:

[tweet]758395625398415360[/tweet]

This mean a Sim card slot then for data?

Not really far fetched. Doesn't have to run Android; all they have to do is port their own games to their own platform. Doesn't mean that it has GPS or mobile data either, just that it has a touch screen or some sort of equivalent controls.

TBH, even if it was Power PC based, they could port them easily. Doesn't really mean anything; hardly a revelation :p

Edited by Dcubed

I'm not sure why you'd think it needs a sim card slot. Data is stored locally but backed up to the cloud regularly so it would just use that.

Unless I'm misinterpreting you.

This is the thing I don't understand. People seem to insist that these things need to have massive and unique features to be justified. Why is that? That logic doesn't fly. Why aren't QoL improvements good enough for it?

I think some of you are overselling the benefits of the second screen a little bit! I'm not entirely against one being there but I also wouldn't find it diminishing to my quality of life if it wasn't :heh:

One of my biggest complaints with the 3DS, other than the lack of compelling software for me personally outside of only a handful of titles, is the horrendously poor battery life. I don't really feel like the quality of my playing experience for most of the titles has been enhanced by a second screen and wonder if the battery life would be increased if there wasn't a need to power the bottom screen.

That Assassin's Creed HUD is horrific but that's more down to the design of it rather than requiring the need to throw it all onto another screen. On 3DS, for example, it's beneficial to have to inventory in Ocarina of Time only a tap away but even if the handheld only had one screen with improved resolution and touch, of course, there's no reason why touching an item in the top right corner of the screen in the HUD couldn't immediately display the rest of your inventory for you to switch items quickly. It would be as simple as dragging your thumb across the screen without interrupting the action.

I'm not saying you guys are wrong for finding that a second screen improves your experience but I don't think I'm the only one who finds that it doesn't really seem to offer much, if any, benefit.

This mean a Sim card slot then for data?

Nah they can have there own store outside of Google play. Guessing it would be similar to Nvidia own store.

Nintendo could just have games ported to NX although they could see mobile developers not bother with some titles. Considering the way mobile games have been priced on 3DS compared mobile equivalents I would not like to see Nintendo to go down that route again and charge way more then Google play prices.

And Nintendo could do wifi only. Mobile data not included isn't a problem. Vita had it and nobody cared.

Would be a waste of time actually.

Edited by khilafah

I think this is Rubbish Because Zelda Breath Of The Wild will look rubbish on a handheld and how would you play Just Dance 2017, Sonic 2017, For Houner, Call Of Duty and third party's are excited for Nintendo NX they won't if it's a hybrid and I hate it why would I want to play handheld games that are made for handheld on a TV I want a console and a Handheld on there own plus Nintendo even said it's a home console

If they wanted to port something like Pokémon Go then they definitely need to have 3G/4G. That game would be pointless if you could only play it at WiFi hotspots!

I think this is Rubbish Because Zelda Breath Of The Wild will look rubbish on a handheld and how would you play Just Dance 2017, Sonic 2017, For Houner, Call Of Duty and third party's are excited for Nintendo NX they won't if it's a hybrid and I hate it why would I want to play handheld games that are made for handheld on a TV I want a console and a Handheld on there own plus Nintendo even said it's a home console

Why would Zelda look rubbish on a powerful handheld?

Just Dance can be played with a phone

If they wanted to port something like Pokémon Go then they definitely need to have 3G/4G. That game would be pointless if you could only play it at WiFi hotspots!

Pokémon Go isn't a part of Nintendo/DeNA mobile game deal.

Edited by liger05

I'm really starting to think that this was a fully controlled Nintendo leak to give us a peek behind the curtain before the big show come - hopefully - September. I mean, didn't Emily Rogers also recently say something the lines of us hearing about it from a very official source very soon?

I'm sticking to my guns on this one now, the NX is:

• a dedicated handheld to replace the 3DS.

• a handheld/home console hybrid to ease in newcomers into the gaming landscape; also, I'd imagine this thing would do extremely well in lesser economically developed countries, too.

• a dedicated home console to replace the Wii U.

Sure, there will be quirks which will make these stand out - such as the cartridges presumably being used across all of these platforms - as well as some great linking up to work coherently as a unified system.

Why would Zelda look rubbish on a powerful handheld?

Just Dance can be played with a phone

But who will find it appealing to play something as epic as Breath of the Wild on the go on a small screen? (who on earth wants to play Just Dance on a phone!?). With the news, its sounding a given that the specs aren't going to be PS4 level - if that's the case, then the appeal of getting Breath of the Wild on NX has been severely dampened.

Its like having the option of watching movies released in the cinema on a portable device - like, why?

Similar to the Gamepad, it just feels like a feature no one has been demanding and a lot of the possible features/peripherals are sounding like a chubersome hot mess.

Edited by King_V

I'd argue that it was pretty pointless anyway, but that's not for here.

Also, yadda, yadda, yadda, not made by Nintendo so it might not even get ported, etc.

But who will find it appealing to play something as epic as Breath of the Wild on the go on a small screen? (who on earth wants to play Just Dance on a phone!?).

Someone who wants to play it on the go? You know, someone like me.

Someone who wants to play it on the go? You know, someone like me.

I understand there are people who would enjoy the feature, especially people who buy handhelds. But I would say base home console users simply want a stationary, full scale home experience and don't want to be dealing with home console games as if they were pick up and play handheld games.

Therefore I will assume this feature won't convince the latter types and basing the whole gimmick on something not entirely necessary is risking the biscuit, again. And the ardent home console users will note that the home console experience is dumbed down to accommodate for the portability.

:hmm:

I understand there are people who would enjoy the feature, especially people who buy handhelds. But I would say base home console users simply want a stationary, full scale home experience and don't want to be dealing with home console games as if they were pick up and play handheld games.

Therefore I will assume this feature won't convince the latter types and basing the whole gimmick on something not entirely necessary is risking the biscuit, again. And the ardent home console users will note that the home console experience is dumbed down to accommodate for the portability.

:hmm:

Considering that handhelds are definitely one of the biggest sources of income for Nintendo. I'm not sure the business savvy would agree with that.

If they go along with making a direct competitor to Sony/Microsoft, do you really think they'd come up smelling of roses. Even with the same kind of power?

Because I don't think it'll be quite as simple as that.

Dumbed down is a terrible choice of words, by the way. It gives the impression that portable games are somehow inferior because they are portable. It's that kind of attitude that really annoys me. I would class the 3DS library as better than the WiiU one, in fact, it's not even close.

I would of been happy with nothing but a pure handheld. A handheld as powerful as a Wii U would blow me away.

It's definitely a move for business rather than the consumer - the Wii U showed that people weren't happy that the console was behind the competition in so many ways, as reflected by almost non-existent third party support.

The console will be poor technically as a result of having to keep it mobile, which is a big shame. My biggest concern is that Nintendo's build quality of their handhelds is poor - the 3DS and gamepad in particular show that Nintendo seem to be making devices that would not feel out of place over 10 years ago, but don't feel good now. Also, I sincerely hope the screen is a decent resolution this time.

Considering that handhelds are definitely one of the biggest sources of income for Nintendo. I'm not sure the business savvy would agree with that.

If they go along with making a direct competitor to Sony/Microsoft, do you really think they'd come up smelling of roses. Even with the same kind of power?

Because I don't think it'll be quite as simple as that.

Dumbed down is a terrible choice of words, by the way. It gives the impression that portable games are somehow inferior because they are portable. It's that kind of attitude that really annoys me. I would class the 3DS library as better than the WiiU one, in fact, it's not even close.

You're reading too much into things - I don't think handhelds are inferior.

Dumbed down versus the existing home console market - again. Lower specs, and a possibility of third parties not being convinced.

Instead of chasing new ways to play - why not focus on what has timelessly always appealed to home console gamers - powerful hardware, third parties, online connectivity...

Should we be surprised about a handheld device? A handheld device was always coming and with the 3DS nearly 6 years old a replacement was required.

I'm more surprised that it could be hybrid rather than a stand alone product with a console to be released further down the line.

Don't understand people saying why would we want to play a big adventure on a small screen. Don't. THATS LITERALLY THE WHOLE POINT OF THIS THING! Games can be played on either, and work just as well. The fact you can play portable, doesn't take away from the fact you can play it on the tele.

@dazzybee No but the fact it is mobile means its hardware will be limited by what can be mobile. It will be a generation behind the new console refreshes coming soon I reckon, meaning Nintendo will have the same problem again as what they had with Wii U and Wii.

Oh yeah, doi! I was just thinking about how they'd sync the data and didn't even think of the gameplay. This is why I shouldn't post late at night.

I'll just post the tweet as it's easier than typing up a post myself:

[tweet]758586863049375744[/tweet]

I'm getting quite excited by the potential of this thing. Apparently the price will surprise us all (in a good way), I just hope they make the hardware look too cheap.