NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

[tweet]725840703452893185[/Tweet]

erretro204cgu.png

Firstly, I hope this is true. Far better to hold on to their game for the NX rather than release it on a failing platform.

Secondly, of course it's not DKR2 as Monster Games are handling that. :p

Lastly, screw the new IP! It's time for Eternal Darkness to make a return. :grin:

I hope that Retro are working on a spiritual successor to Perfect Dark and Goldeneye. Open level designs, permission to decide whether you want to stealth or not, online multiplayer. Oh yes, I want that!

E3 will be disappointing, without a doubt

Yeah it will be a disappointing E3

Disappointing for Nintendo fans or just a disappointing E3 overall?

If the latter, why will it?

I know this is the NX thread but we'll be getting possible new hardware from Sony & Microsoft, more info on the PSVR and plenty of new third party titles announced plus more info & footage of the big 3 games that Sony announced last year. I fail to see how it will be disappointing.

Edited by lostmario

Disappointing for Nintendo fans or just a disappointing E3 overall?

If the latter, why will it?

I know this is the NX thread but we'll be getting possible new hardware from Sony & Microsoft, more info on the PSVR and plenty of new third party titles announced plus more info & footage of the big 3 games that Sony announced last year. I fail to see how it will be disappointing.

Yeah, I think the likes of more FF15 and 7 remake will make for a great E3 for me.

We know very little of what the other publishers will be doing, apart from those who openly claim that they won't be there.

Sorry, but Nintendo claiming that they'll only show off one game is such a dumb idea, even Iwata would've pulled the hand brake.

We know very little of what the other publishers will be doing, apart from those who openly claim that they won't be there.

Sorry, but Nintendo claiming that they'll only show off one game is such a dumb idea, even Iwata would've pulled the hand brake.

Let's not conflate things. They're showing more games at E3. We know Pokémon Sun & Moon will have some presence, for example. Zelda is just the only playable one.

But the conferences are 1 hour. The show itself is what, 24 hours? (Assuming 8 a day)

They may show more but the show floor is supposed to largely reflect and reinforce the message of the conference.

Let's not conflate things. They're showing more games at E3. We know Pokémon Sun & Moon will have some presence, for example. Zelda is just the only playable one.

We can hope that Nintendo upload demos for everyone to play. But if Nintendo intend to announce games that'll launch during the last six months of this year and they're not playable at the biggest, most significant trade show in the industry, then that doesen't precisely inspire confidence.

Why can't Nintendo for ONCE think within the box and just deliver what'll create goodwill and happiness for everyone?

I just think the plans changed in the last two months for the NX and that just ruined their E3 plans. I don't think Nintendo intended from the outset for E3 to be lackluster

I just think the plans changed in the last two months for the NX and that just ruined their E3 plans. I don't think Nintendo intended from the outset for E3 to be lackluster

I just don't see how that's an excuse.

Kimishima must be aware of the backlash that Nintendo get whenever they perform poorly at E3. And Nintendos reputation cannot survive much more backlashes.

Sorry, but with Nintendos current reputation, they MUST perform at the very least like at E3 2014 year in and year out. From the launch of the NX until it's replaced.

And of course, I just don't see why Nintendo can't be like a normal console manufacturer and release Wii U games for Wii U as soon as they're finished and then spend a few extra months to make a Super Special Enhanced 4K Deluxe Edition after the NX hits. That would please everybody, that would MAKE SENSE. Not throw out a dusty game that's been sitting on a shelf for 9 months without any additional visual enhancements and think it'll sell consoles.

Why do you think people didn't know that the Wii was more powerful than the Gamecube? TWILIGHT PRINCESS WAS IDENTICAL ON BOTH! Would it really have killed them to up the resolution, add reflective water or maybe even low-res real time shadows?

I wonder if they'd be better totally ignoring e3 this year, no matter how good Zelda will be turning up with one game just looks terrible.

Time to dump their own console methinks. It's been crap for a number of years anyway. What can we expect in the next 12 months? Not much!!!!

Time to dump their own console methinks. It's been crap for a number of years anyway. What can we expect in the next 12 months? Not much!!!!

I completely disagree with that. If Nintendo were to go third party and will have to port their games to at least three different platforms, meaning that Nintendo's world famous polish would go out the window.

You have to remember that as a console manufacturer, their games carry the, depending on the time of the console's lifespan, either a secondary, or at times primary role of selling consolses. IF they fully understand this, that means that they'll release games which may not sell lots of units, but will persuade people to buy the console it's on.

Whoever was in charge of greenlighting games on the N64 knew this to the fullest, making Nintendo develop games in a broad variety of genres, settings, art styles and for different age groups.

If Nintendo were to go third party, they'd ALWAYS develop whatever game would have the best invested money: payback ratio. That would undoubtedly be 2D shovelware, probably free to play trash for mobiles.

I wonder if they'd be better totally ignoring e3 this year, no matter how good Zelda will be turning up with one game just looks terrible.

I think they just have to stop trying to be cute and original and put their minds firmly back in the box.

August-November= Console launching time

E3= Must announce at least 5 new AAA games for home console

Sequel= Improve everything from previous game

Gimmick != Improvement

Zelda= Flagship

Flagship= High end graphics & Voice Acting

Flagship!= Platform for experimentation

Console= Competes with other consoles & PC

Console!= Compete with mobile phones

Early adopters= Gamers

Launch titles= Push graphics to the max

Launch titles!= Identical graphics to predecessor

Launch titles!= 2D

Software drought= People sell their consoles

People sell their consoles != Wait one year for successor from same brand

I think kaxx was just talking about wii u. Wish you didn't mention the dreaded going 3rd party :) That would be more I diotic than showing one game at e3.

I'd rather them go Second Party to Sony. That would be sweet!

I just don't see how that's an excuse.

Kimishima must be aware of the backlash that Nintendo get whenever they perform poorly at E3. And Nintendos reputation cannot survive much more backlashes.

Sorry, but with Nintendos current reputation, they MUST perform at the very least like at E3 2014 year in and year out. From the launch of the NX until it's replaced.

And of course, I just don't see why Nintendo can't be like a normal console manufacturer and release Wii U games for Wii U as soon as they're finished and then spend a few extra months to make a Super Special Enhanced 4K Deluxe Edition after the NX hits. That would please everybody, that would MAKE SENSE. Not throw out a dusty game that's been sitting on a shelf for 9 months without any additional visual enhancements and think it'll sell consoles.

Why do you think people didn't know that the Wii was more powerful than the Gamecube? TWILIGHT PRINCESS WAS IDENTICAL ON BOTH! Would it really have killed them to up the resolution, add reflective water or maybe even low-res real time shadows?

I never said this was an excuse. I too think this is batshit crazy. I am just looking for reasons.

Because that worked so well for all other console manufacturers.

That would gut Nintendo. We'd get even less games than we already do. All neglected/seldom seen franchises wouldn't be seen again outside Smash Bros.

It'd be disastrous

Let's be frank, chances of seeing neglected/seldom seen franchises even if Nintendo keep releasing their consoles...?

Besides, you'd be crazy to think there wouldn't be a market for Mario and others.

Not that I necessarily think Nintendo should abandon consoles, but it's one of those questions I wish we could just see how it would turn out.

Metroid would get eaten up by Sony fans. It'd probably sell a fair more units too.

They still make money so I hope that they will never leave the console market.

I love that with every new console I have a feeling that I've got something new, something different.

Also they need their consoles for amiibo.

Only showing ONE game? I thought it was "only showing one to play at E3 game?" and they'll be doing the usual sizzle reel of games for 3DS/Wii U. It must be that because aren't they showing Sun/Moon, too? Who's spreading this misleading info I'm hearing everywhere...? I'd say the new Paper Mario will be shown too, as well as others. I think we're going to get some 3DS surprises too, assuming they aren't leaked beforehand.

As others have said; going third party would break what fans like about Nintendo. Nintendo polish would be gone as they try to rush out half a dozen versions, and everything they release would only be the "only sells a billion copies" games. And a lot of classic IPs would die or get relegated to indie style or phone "mini version games." Even though they've expanded their dev teams they really don't have that many. They rely on the fact that a huge percentage of owners of their consoles are "core fans" who essentially buy most first party games, ensuring multi-million sellers...even for just one console. Would certain IPs see stronger presences? Yes, I'm sure you're right (Metroid FPS would likely become more popular, and I could see F-Zero doing good multi, too).

Whether they keep alive or not depends on how they go about it. If they tried it like they do now...they'd crash. The multiple non main IP games would cause them to leak money, which means they'd stick to core IPs to survive. They wouldn't be able to do yearly updates of the main IPs without a huuuuuuge quality drop. Each main game would need years of dvelopement to keep the quality everone is used to. They'd lose all the huge amounts of money they make from 3DS consoles and successful home consoles and wouldn't have the money they have now to invest in the amount of such big games anyway, they'd have to let go of second parties that are helping bulk their titles out. Nintendo would die bit by bit. The thought of third party Nintendo is not appealing to me. There's other issues too but...meh.

Edited by Mr_Master_X2

Let's be frank, chances of seeing neglected/seldom seen franchises even if Nintendo keep releasing their consoles...?

Besides, you'd be crazy to think there wouldn't be a market for Mario and others.

Not that I necessarily think Nintendo should abandon consoles, but it's one of those questions I wish we could just see how it would turn out.

We just got Star Fox...

We just got Star Fox...

Great, and where's F-Zero, Wave Race, 1080 Snowboarding, Metroid, Excite Bike/Truck and I'm sure more that I'm forgetting.

Just noticed that all of those except Metroid could be classed as a racing game, so Nintendo any chance of a racing that ISN'T Mario Kart? Maybe mix it up a bit?

Great, and where's F-Zero, Wave Race, 1080 Snowboarding, Metroid, Excite Bike/Truck and I'm sure more that I'm forgetting.

Just noticed that all of those except Metroid could be classed as a racing game, so Nintendo any chance of a racing that ISN'T Mario Kart? Maybe mix it up a bit?

Yeah, they're all errant because they don't sell, so we get periodic revivals to try and bring it back.

They did it recently with Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem and Star Fox. Fire Emblem worked ridiculously well.

Metroid is back this year :p YES IT IS A METROID GAME :p

Metroid would get eaten up by Sony fans. It'd probably sell a fair more units too.
Im sure F-Zero would sell a boatload more as well, in the absence of WipeOut.

Just had GAME try to sell me a pre-order of the NX already. £50 deposit

lolno