NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Thanks a lot PlayStation?...

You're crazy if you thought this generation of consoles was going to last anything like the length of the last. With the speed PC is moving at, 5 years seemed the max heading into it; I thought this was common knowledge.

Yes it sucks. I bought my PS4 last year too and have barely had time to use it, I also never saw this coming... but I can at least completely understand it!

It's no 'spin'... no one is forcing you to upgrade.

It's happened before with consoles as well. As @Zechs_Merquise said, developers are already hitting a wall with these console.

Maybe watch this episode of Final Bosman talking about it... He's right in saying that comparatively, this generation of consoles are the weakest generation yet. They had to be if they were going to be affordable and not laughed out of the market as per the PS3's original price. Sacrifices had to be made and Sony and Microsoft may now regret it, but with the speed the industry is moving they're caught between a rock and a hard place.

Good point that the last generation lasted way more than usual but it's now a matter of what the market has come to expect. Is it at a place where consumers see console as itinerary upgrades every few years or will they look at and think they are getting bumped.

Nobody is forced to upgrade but if multi platform games look and run considerably worse on PS4 and xb1 then yes they will need to upgrade.

I don't think it has to match PS4k. The PS4 will be the dominant console of the generation. Matching the PS4k isn't the requirement when the vast majority of games will he developed to run on PS4 and XB1

Doesen't matter. Sony will walk up on stage this E3 and show off games that make use of it, I guarantee it. And they'll be able to say that those games are PS4 games.

And then people will question why they should buy a new Nintendo console which is being surpassed by a three year old console (even though it isn't). ESPESCIALLY considering that the perpetual software drought on Nintendo's previous console. This is do or die, Nintendo must make a machine which is virtually infallible.

The PS4K just makes me sad. I'm staggered the industry isn't outraged by it and how console generation cycles have basically been cut in half. I bought my PS4 a year ago and it'll soon be old tech, thanks a lot Playstation.

New 3DS comes to mind ;)

Honestly though, I wouldn't be surprised if it'd be possible to upgrade your PS4 to a PS4K. After all, their VR headset will contain an extra processor to make it easier to render more demanding VR games.

I think the ps4k could be amazing news for NX, it would mean it wouldn't feel like Nintendo isn't jumping into the middle of a generation, and will probably more feel like the beginning of a new one with everyone releasing new machines.

Could piss off some fans too that an upgrade is out so soon.

Who knows, going to be fascinating to see how it plays out!

You're crazy if you thought this generation of consoles was going to last anything like the length of the last.

Come on, I didn't expect it to last 7-8 years, but I was expecting slightly longer than 3!

With the speed PC is moving at, 5 years seemed the max heading into it; I thought this was common knowledge.

If 5 is what's expected then why are Nintendo considered to be abandoning the Wii U early, four years after release? As I said I wasn't expecting this gen to last quite as long as the last one, but I bought my PS4 expecting to get a good 4 years out of it, now it seems I'll have gotten one year out of it, before it's already out of date. If Playstation start pulling exclusive PS4K games in the first couple of years they can GTFO.

You're jumping to conclusions when you've already been advised against it.

Also, I don't think it has been confirmed that the PS4K is the beginning of a new console generation either!

I'm sure Rogers appreciates being called a "leaker". It's such a nice term!

I wonder if that means the NX won't be as powerful as the PS4 or just it's power isn't as significantly great as the rumours suggested.

All it means is that the rumours are wrong. Don't try to derive additional meaning based on your own views :)

Come on, I didn't expect it to last 7-8 years, but I was expecting slightly longer than 3!

If 5 is what's expected then why are Nintendo considered to be abandoning the Wii U early, four years after release? As I said I wasn't expecting this gen to last quite as long as the last one, but I bought my PS4 expecting to get a good 4 years out of it, now it seems I'll have gotten one year out of it, before it's already out of date. If Playstation start pulling exclusive PS4K games in the first couple of years they can GTFO.

The wii u was a disaster after 1 year and it would of been hard work to get through 5 years with a platform that sold so poorly.

The PS4K just makes me sad. I'm staggered the industry isn't outraged by it and how console generation cycles have basically been cut in half. I bought my PS4 a year ago and it'll soon be old tech, thanks a lot Playstation.

It hasn't been cut in half? It's still a PS4 and will still run the same games. Otherwise it'd be the PS5.

Yup. Personally, I think you'd have to be mad to think this generation was coming to an end any time soon. PS4 is absolutely throttling the competition, so why would they go to PS5? Bear in mind that a PS4K is not ending the generation - the clue is in the number.

The PS4 era will last another 3-4 years quite easily. I wouldn't expect a PS4 until 2019-ish. Think of the rumoured 4K as a similar console to the new 3DS - it's just another SKU on the market. Games will still be designed for the OG model because for now there are at least 60M PS4's and XBO's on the market.

All it means is that the rumours are wrong. Don't try to derive additional meaning based on your own views :)

Sorry, not my intent. I blame the lateness of the hour but I just meant I wonder what the specs are given the original rumour said they were better and she's claiming the rumour is wrong. But I know it's all a he said she said thing so I'm not giving it much credence.

I don't have any views on what the NX power will be so that was a weird thing to say but I'll chalk it up to the earliness of your post.

And in part I was trying to highlight the post that was moved into the thread from another and ended up on the last page ;)

Sorry, not my intent. I blame the lateness of the hour but I just meant I wonder what the specs are given the original rumour said they were better and she's claiming the rumour is wrong. But I know it's all a he said she said thing so I'm not giving it much credence.

I don't have any views on what the NX power will be so that was a weird thing to say but I'll chalk it up to the earliness of your post.

And in part I was trying to highlight the post that was moved into the thread from another and ended up on the last page ;)

I apologise if I was confrontational :)

I apologise if I was confrontational :)

Oh no I just didn't know how you got there, but it was probably me not explaining myself well.

Oh no I just didn't know how you got there, but it was probably me not explaining myself well.

Must have been just me misinterpreting, yeah. I saw others actually outright say it so my mind must have read what you said as that.

Specs are out, and are surprise surprise, what they were reported to be previously. Are my complaints acceptable to you now or do we have to wait for the fine print that'll make no difference?

Specs are out, and are surprise surprise, what they were reported to be previously. Are my complaints acceptable to you now or do we have to wait for the fine print that'll make no difference?

Do you understand what a rumour is?

I do understand what a rumour is, thank you. Do you honestly believe the PS4K is a myth or that it won't have upgraded internals? There comes a point where it stops being a rumour and starts being called a leak. This thing is obviously happening.

I do understand what a rumour is, thank you. Do you honestly believe the PS4K is a myth or that it won't have upgraded internals? There comes a point where it stops being a rumour and starts being called a leak. This thing is obviously happening.

I'm not doubting it's happening, but we don't know exactly what shape it is taking at the moment. The details are rumoured, the existence is all but confirmed.

It's like the NX controller fakes. We know the console is happening and yes we talked a lot about the controllers, but we knew it wasn't official.

So yeah, you can talk about it but stuff like "the specs are out" suggests you believed an unsubsidised rumour to be true.

And really this conversation shouldn't be clogging up the NX thread much more.

Ok let's bring it back to NX. Hopefully this middle finger from Playstation will make people opt to spend their 300 quid on a shiny new NX than a spec-boosted PS4.

Ok let's bring it back to NX. Hopefully this middle finger from Playstation will make people opt to spend their 300 quid on a shiny new NX than a spec-boosted PS4.

You know what? Unless Nintendo provide a great launch, new adopters will probably tend towards buying the new PS4...

Edited by drahkon

An excellent well-balanced response.

Ok just to clarify. I shouldn't have used the term 'console generation'. This generation was always going to be the one of incremental updates, whether they be physical or digital; it had to be because of the speed the industry is moving. People were predicting before we went into it that console manufacturers would have to update their systems in some way throughout it.

3 years for the first update, maybe another 3 after that... maybe this is the cycle we have to be on now... Maybe the one after this will do away with subsequent consoles altogether and we'll get some sort of digital box which is more future proofed. Maybe the PS5 will be a download/an update, just like our current consoles get updates. It's all unknown and speculation, much like the PS4K currently is.

I don't think Nintendo are seen to be abandoning the Wii U, so much as they've been forced to! Even if the Wii U had been successful, whose to say now wouldn't have time for a new console from them anyway. Nintendo got the console wrong and as a result the last few years have been painful in terms of game draughts and them having to go it alone. In a way it's warped perspective; because by contrast the Wii was incredibly successful, but even that console only had 3 strong years in it.

That's a bit of a blinkered approach to the PS4K. I'd be disappointed to, but Nintendo have released games that have been N64 expansion pack only (ok that thing was a fraction of the cost... but I'm sure if Sony could quite so easily bundle a PS4 expansion pack in with Uncharted 4 for folks at home to install themselves, then they would be), likewise there were plans for NEW 3DS only games (but I honestly have no idea what's going on with that console... it seems to have been a bit of a con to me).

It's a heavy hit, if we feel we need to buy a PS4K... but who's to say their won't be a trade-in scheme, and heck there's always GAME, CEX and eBay!... it's not like you won't be able to get a great deal of money back to put towards one. You could be left paying £150 or something... not unlike the cost of a New 3DS.

As for people spending their money on an NX instead of a PS4k... Nintendo burned people bad with the Wii U. A lot of people who picked one up at regretted it, as did those 1 year later. You talk about the cost of upgrading a PS4, but there are people felt they wasted £300 for a long time with Wii U. They didn't deliver on promises at all and attitudes towards them has greatly changed (as you can tell by the mood of [these] forums). People may be hesitant unless the NX is truly something revolutionary. Having said that, I'd be surprised if it didn't have a stellar launch, and cheekily they've now got Zelda to launch it with as well.

Edited by Retro_Link

Keep in mind that the base PS4 is very likely going to receive a price drop and probably even a slim version. A £199 console with hundreds of titles and third party support...it will continue to sell well for a very long time.

It seems you're only not allowed to jump to conclusions with regards to Sony... It's looking more likely that this thing will be a performance boosting console with New 3DS type enhancements; Ronnie should be allowed to express his concern.

Popel rip the NX for not getting 3rd parties, likely not having cross buy, not getting gamers back, being a hybrid, not being a hybrid etc.

Discussion is good fun. Except when it's even slightly negative towards sony and i's "advised against"