NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

All relatively believable leaks there, I do like the idea of an up-port of Splatoon, because i've just abandoned it, the lack of voice chat did make it somewhat of an issue sometimes.

I think converting the engine over and then making Spla2on would be the better option rather than just porting the current game

Just because you hate fun :p

I love a good bad pun, but that was just awful.

Edited by Ashley

To make this easier, I think I'll do a tiered rumor ranking, where a T1 (Tier 1) means one source told me this, T2 means two, T3 means three, and T4 means at least four sources or more told me or others the same thing. So T4 rumors have multiple sources and are likely more credible than a T1, but that doesn’t necessarily mean a T1 is false. The bolded parts will be the rumor, the text after it will be additional info mixed with some of my opinion, and the sources thoughts.

So ranking guesses on how likely they think they are....

T4 Rumors

The NX will be more powerful than the PS4. "By a noticeable amount". From the CPU, to GPU, to RAM. Sources don't know the clock speeds, or memory type or amount of memory. But if the CPU is 15-30% stronger than PS4 as alluded to by LCGeek, than the GPU would need to match that bump in order to not bottleneck (Nintendo hates their bottlenecks).

So all that "T4" is guesswork based on "leaks". And Nintendo hate their bottlenecks so much so lets mention them right?

Now here is where things get interesting. One source said 100% for sure Mario Maker was coming to NX. Another source said 50%. Why 50%? Well, they can confirm it's in development, Nintendo is struggling to transfer over player data and doesn't want all courses to be lost. Hell, courses are being mysteriously deleted on Wii U already lol.

Bull. Struggling to transfer player data. So they test it and wipe real world players data in the process? If they need real world data they just need to copy the real data, put it on a closed system, THEN test it, that way lost levels are of no consequence.

The fourth remaster is Splatoon. This one was given 50% chance from two sources and 99% from one source lol. The reasons again are, Nintendo is struggling to transfer all player data and make it cross-compatible with Wii U players as well. It is in development though. They should have all he DLC included.

Sounds like an 8 year old's level of creativity... I can't think of a reason for this to be tricky so I'll say transfer data again.

What's interesting about this is

Nope.. nothing interesting.

As someone who just started snooping for NX info and asking questions out of general curiosity for being a fan, I wasn't expecting this much info over the last two weeks or so.

uh huh. Just a general fan snooping randomly.

T1 Rumors

The NX architecture is under NDA but is highly speculated to be x86.

No shit.

I disagreed with them on this but they made some excellent points about how porting from ARM to x86 (handheld to console) and x86 to x86 (current PS4 and XB1 games to NX) is very easy, while it's a bit more tricky to go from x86 to ARM (console to handheld). It certainly matches what the reddit leaker posted.

So these sources are so knowledgable that a mere fan feels their points are just speculation an opinions...

Based off my high school programming skills and some research,

high school. HIGH SCHOOL??? really? wow this guy is uber qualified.

Remember, grain of salt.
There isn't enough salt in the world for this.

Not saying this is wrong, but that whole post belongs in that NX speculation thread. Just this guy wants attention. He's making guesses and passing them off as being based on solid facts so.. yeah.

I'm sure no one on here is really taking this seriously just.. yeah - lol!

A couple of bits he suggests sound interesting but really there is nothing in there that is of interest to me, it's just hot air and assurances he is in no position to make.

As prized as GAF is for it's apparent verification of posters, the community seems to lose it's shit about every single rumour that gets posted. The sensible predictions that some guy posted on reddit a couple of weeks ago turned into a gigantic thread. Everything is just going round in circles.

I really hope that nothing leaks before Nintendo officially reveals it, as anxious as I am to hear some news on it I would prefer it to come from an official source.

Bull. Struggling to transfer player data. So they test it and wipe real world players data in the process? If they need real world data they just need to copy the real data, put it on a closed system, THEN test it, that way lost levels are of no consequence.

I assume he meant "they are struggling to transfer data across. And lol, you heard about random lost courses right?" Not necessarily connecting the two issues, but the two ideas are related (i.e. lost data, not that them testing has caused that data to be lost). If that makes sense?

As prized as GAF is for it's apparent verification of posters, the community seems to lose it's shit about every single rumour that gets posted. The sensible predictions that some guy posted on reddit a couple of weeks ago turned into a gigantic thread. Everything is just going round in circles.

I really hope that nothing leaks before Nintendo officially reveals it, as anxious as I am to hear some news on it I would prefer it to come from an official source.

Leaks are inevitable. Impossible to keep everyone quiet

I hope rumours about smartglass, 2nd screen compatibility are not true.

Smartglass bombed on the other platforms for a reason. If they bundle in another gamepad the cost goes up, if they make a gamepad optional to buy on its own people won't buy it.

Nothing is making any sense with these predictions; E3 cannot come soon enough! As much as I think they'll come in with an all singing, all dancing superpowerful console with portable controller I think they need to aim for a sub-£200 mark.

Smartglass bombed on the other platforms for a reason.

Mainly because it wasn't built into the controller.

Plus they couldn't get it (the SmartGlass) lag free like the GamePad, so it rendered games, like Rayman, where you need instant feedback a little bit messy. That lag free touch screen input on the GamePad is a thing of technical wonder.

Didn't help the wii u either. I'm not convinced people want a screen as part of a controller. The whole take you're eyes away from the TV and back to the TV again is a negative.

What do people think of this?

The NX gimmick. I uh....was told not to post this part by some people. As usual, take it with a grain of salt (although I don't know why I would be warned if it was false) I'm not under any NDA though, and well, it could end up being false. But I was told a variation of this by three different sources. I don't believe they have a reason to lie to me. Here goes....

The NX is going to have a screen controller (whether it's optional or standard I don't know) and can be used anywhere to play your home console games. The controller itself will not have any processing capabilities, it'll essentially be a dummy vita. It'll likely have basic OS functions to access the NX console from anywhere, like a tiny cpu. Nintendo will use enhanced Wii U gamepad streaming tech, and allow the controller to be taken anywhere, connect to the NX console at home (likely through Wi-fi or personal hotspots and the NX console will likely have to be in stand-by mode). Basically, it's remote play built into the box and won't require a $200 add-on to experience it. This is likely what Kimishima meant in his interview with Sankei

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=201100330

How big would this be? Like a handheld or the gamepad. You couldn't take the gamepad out. Far too big.

Another gamepad would be a big no no for me.

Edited by liger05

Screen could be the size of say an iPhone 6S screen. Smaller than the GamePad but decent size/quality.

Off TV Play has been an amazing thing with the Wii U. It was one of the main original ideas behind the controller and could be very well received if on a console that sells well.

People in our age bracket obviously won't get much use of it because we're mostly single, own TVs etc., but when you start having families, Off-TV Play is quite useful.

Edited by Serebii

Nothing is making any sense with these predictions; E3 cannot come soon enough! As much as I think they'll come in with an all singing, all dancing superpowerful console with portable controller I think they need to aim for a sub-£200 mark.

I agree that's what they need to do. I just can't see a £300 console selling all that well mid gen, unless the gimmick is really good.

But what kind of console would cost £200 or less? If it's going to be as powerful as people have suggested, then surely it will cost more than a PS4 to produce, so selling it at £200 would mean a huge loss for Nintendo. Secondly, if the console includes this 'dummy Vita' style controller that allows you to play anywhere, that's going to add to the cost too. I don't think Nintendo launching a £300 console is going to be as disastrous as you suggest Ronnie, if it has the right games it will do well.

Directly competing with PS4 and XBO in the middle of a generation, years after those two released, seems very dangerous. Are people likely to buy an expensive NX or a VR headset ?

I'd love to see it but I can't help but think a cheap as chips, £100ish slightly better than Wii U that they can sell by the truckload would make more business sense. Then they can compete properly in a few years when the next gen starts.

Wasn't the Wii U launch price around £300?

That was a year before the next gen started, not half way into the gen.

Sorry yeah I jumped mid-way in and didn't realise there were posts above contextualising.

Although it raises a point I was thinking of the other day - it is likely the PS4/One will go on for another 5 or so years given the PS3/360 did similar. If Nintendo releases the NX this/next year and another console around the time of the PS4/Next Xbox what happens to the sense of 'generations'. Would this generation be Wii U/PS4/One/NX or would NX be its own little generation alone?

Edited by Ashley

Wasn't the Wii U launch price around £300?

That worked out wonderfully for them!

Doubtless, with some clever financing, they could get a powerful console at sub-£200. It's the (costly) gimmick that throws me when considering allk there possibilities!

Edited by david.dakota

Directly competing with PS4 and XBO in the middle of a generation, years after those two released, seems very dangerous. Are people likely to buy an expensive NX or a VR headset ?

I'd love to see it but I can't help but think a cheap as chips, £100ish slightly better than Wii U that they can sell by the truckload would make more business sense. Then they can compete properly in a few years when the next gen starts.

£100 console. What do you expect from that? An apple TV? Guess how many people care about that.

A cheap console does nothing for Nintendo.

I'm not sure a VR headset and console can be compared like for like.

Well don't forget that Sony is putting out their own new device this year, the PS4K. That's far more risky than what Nintendo's doing.

HOWEVER, it also is likely to help Nintendo. It's not just a "what is Nintendo doing?" situation anymore with Nintendo releasing hardware when nobody else is, Sony is and Microsoft is rumoured to. As such, having it be an entirely new device rather than just a more powerful version of what's out there could be very beneficial, especially as what Sony is doing is risky as it potentially fragments their current pushing 40m userbase with future games. It's not the best way to create consumer confidence. That's why we don't have many N3DS games. As such, Nintendo having NX at this point could be quite beneficial

Well don't forget that Sony is putting out their own new device this year, the PS4K. That's far more risky than what Nintendo's doing.

HOWEVER, it also is likely to help Nintendo. It's not just a "what is Nintendo doing?" situation anymore with Nintendo releasing hardware when nobody else is, Sony is and Microsoft is rumoured to. As such, having it be an entirely new device rather than just a more powerful version of what's out there could be very beneficial, especially as what Sony is doing is risky as it potentially fragments their current pushing 40m userbase with future games. It's not the best way to create consumer confidence. That's why we don't have many N3DS games. As such, Nintendo having NX at this point could be quite beneficial

I agree with that but didn't Nintendo say there would be exclusive N3ds games it's just we all knew that was BS as like you said they can't split the userbase and third parties won't do that either.

The whole mid gen thing for me isn't what makes it breaks the NX. People buy new things all the time when they may already have something similar. If the product is desirable people will buy it.

I think the concept of a console generation is just going to fade more and more. Even Microsoft are talking like that, with talk of Xbox just being an upgradeable device in the future.

In this day and age, we get new iterations of popular devices yearly and they sell. There's no being early or being late any more. That's how it used to be, not how it is.