NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Interesting point - could an NFC enabled mobile device read an Amiibo?

A possible goldmine for Nintendo there when the sales start to flag perhaps.

I believe there are different types of NFC and the one Nintendo use is different to one commonly used in mobiles, but I may be wrong.

I think @Cube has discussed it before.

My problem with Nintendoland is it feels like a game that would have really benefited from DLC to add new levels and games but it just didn't.

Right, I'm going to say something that may be a little unpopular...

Nintendo have let themselves down this generation, not with what they have done and not with what has been on game disks, but what they haven't done and what hasn't been on the disk.

Nintendo Land was an awesome idea and could have been an awesome game. It had some great mini-games, and the idea of a Nintendo theme park with attractions themed around its most popular franchises is AWESOME!

But @Ashley is right. It got stale far quicker than it should have. It was offline only, why no online? Because, er... well? Why couldn't I adventure through a beautifully sewn together Hyrule with my friends, or hunt down Luigi as a group or cover someone from the gunship in Metroid? Because Nintendo never gave me the option.

Nintendo Land is a good game, I'd give it a solid 7 out of 10. But it could have been a 9 out of 10 if it had online, leader boards and you could download additional games and levels to keep things fresh. It's like Nintendo had a wonderful idea and then hobbled the product so it wouldn't appeal to as many people as it could have by closing the game off and not taking their ideas to their logical conclusions.

Nintendo Land isn't an isolated incident either. Where was the online in Pikmin and 3D World? Where is the online in Star Fox Zero?

Why does Nintendo insist on limiting the appeal of these games and ensuring they are never as big or successful as they could be?

Pretty much agree with both of these.

I remember @Ashley came down to visit and we played some three player NintendoLand. It was pretty fun and it suddenly dawned that we could be doing this most nights (along with N-Europe peeps) if the fucking thing had online in it.

I liked the concept, I loved the Animal Crossing and Luigi's Mansion game and I saw the potential for the whole thing. But, the whole thing was short-lived. It would have been a real statement of intent from Nintendo to have realised this game with a fully fledged online mode so that your mates could jump into games with it. Unfortunately, they didn't do that.

This should've been an even bigger deal than it was at launch. The online was pretty much all it needed. I've seen ideas for DLC here, too. Yup, that would've helped, too. So cloooooose.

I own Nintendoland and I think I've played it a grand total of once. Partly due to lack of time/other things to play, but also because it just isn't a single player game and ive never got around to playing it with anyone else.

We played 5 player Mario Chase on it at the N-E meet though last year and it was a blast. It's a total missed opportunity not having any online, let alone any voice chat.

I own Nintendoland and I think I've played it a grand total of once. Partly due to lack of time/other things to play, but also because it just isn't a single player game and ive never got around to playing it with anyone else.

We played 5 player Mario Chase on it at the N-E meet though last year and it was a blast. It's a total missed opportunity not having any online, let alone any voice chat.

Glad you enjoyed that minigame. Me and @Zell have played it several times with our friends and we've always had a blast. I'm amazed that they didn't release 3-4 new stages :(

more leaks... NX will have 12GB Ram

launch games include Zelda, Luigis Mansion, FIFA 17, Mass Effect Trilogy, Deus Ex Mankind, Battlefield 5

Nintendo really need to announce some stuff soon otherwise they are in danger of imploding if they reveal that all the leaks are fake and we are getting FIFA 16 legacy edition.

I know they can't control what people put on the internet but it can still be damaging.

Edited by Clownferret

Mass Effect trilogy? A two gen old port or a remaster? I can't believe it's the latter as EA have very clearly said it's not going to happen and the former seems a bit pointless given how old the games are.

As for Luigi's Mansion, that was rumoured/leaked last month

“Luigi’s Mansion 3 is planned to be Nintendo’s impressive visual launch title. The goal I’ve been told, was when the team at Next Level and EAD Tokyo 2 saw the American commercial for Luigi’s Mansion 2 (aka Dark Moon) their goal was to create something that visually stunning for NX and according to sources they have come “damn close to it” with one saying “it’s going to cause arguments on the internet whether it’s a bullsh*t or not despite us developers knowing you can achieve something like on the current hardware specs”. The game uses a lot of advance lighting techniques to create this “living 3d cartoon movie” look with insanely detailed shadows and transparencies. It also shows off the haptic analog sticks, which will resist when trying to capture ghosts. An AR multiplayer mode is also planned to be in the final version of the game.”

http://dualpixels.com/2016/03/14/rumor-luigis-mansion-on-nintendo-nx-details/

Edited by Ronnie

Mass Effect trilogy? A two gen old port or a remaster? I can't believe it's the latter as EA have very clearly said it's not going to happen and the former seems a bit pointless given how old the games are.

As for Luigi's Mansion, that was rumoured/leaked last month

http://dualpixels.com/2016/03/14/rumor-luigis-mansion-on-nintendo-nx-details/

Never say never! There's a huge amount of ports of last gen titles happening at the moment, Mass Effect Trilogy is huge seller and I would buy it as I've only played the third on the Wii U and I loved it!

seems an odd thing to leak if EA have said it's not happening. Maybe it's a quick/cheap way for EA to test NX capabilities by remastering some old games and use the old beautiful partnership tagline.

Never say never! There's a huge amount of ports of last gen titles happening at the moment, Mass Effect Trilogy is huge seller and I would buy it as I've only played the third on the Wii U and I loved it!

I'm the same, and was about to give up hope and just play Mass Effect 1 and 2 on PC with mouse and keyboard, but if this rumour does turn out to be true it'd be amazing and if the remaster is exclusive to NX, even more so for the console.

I'm not interested in Mass Effect and don't think too many would really care for a trilogy on NX, certainly not enough to really make it worthwhile! I'd probably take FIFA, though, despite reservations about the series, but it would need to be a lot stronger than the awful FIFA 13 on Wii U..

Would it not look a bit weird (to those that know, obviously) that the third one came out on the Wii U and then four years later the trilogy comes out on its successor? Would be an odd choice of game to port unless there was a plan to release Andromeda I guess.

The clamour for a remastered trilogy is enormous, 1080p, 60FPS, all the DLC. If NX gets that as an exclusive it would be a big deal, and then presumably Andromeda to follow.

Would it not look a bit weird (to those that know, obviously) that the third one came out on the Wii U and then four years later the trilogy comes out on its successor? Would be an odd choice of game to port unless there was a plan to release Andromeda I guess.

I would assume that if a port of the trilogy was coming, it would be because its coming to everything else as well so and it would be just as easy to release on NX. That being said though, given what EA have said in the past it seems unlikely to me that the trilogy is going to get re-released.

Luigi's Mansion alongside Zelda makes more sense than Mario as they would want to space out the big games. I just hope that, if Luigi's Mansion does get made, it's closer to the Gamecube version than the bitesized 3DS game. The original was quite Metroidvania esque.

Luigi's Mansion alongside Zelda makes more sense than Mario as they would want to space out the big games. I just hope that, if Luigi's Mansion does get made, it's closer to the Gamecube version than the bitesized 3DS game. The original was quite Metroidvania esque.

I'm not sure they can afford to space out the big games. PS4 has shown what can happen if you have a good launch and then momentum takes over and apart from anything the likelihood is that Zelda will definitley be ready and a new Mario is overdue so probably also nearing completion.

If they get Mario and Zelda out of the way, they can then concentrate on Metroid, Splatoon 2, Waverace, F-Zero and other big games that will flesh out the schedule... right?

One can dream!

I'm still imaging a situation were nintendo only have have to develop for one platform.... Imagine the content they'll be able to release... Add in better indie and 3rd part support and it could be pretty great!

I'm still imaging a situation were nintendo only have have to develop for one platform.... Imagine the content they'll be able to release... Add in better indie and 3rd part support and it could be pretty great!

and please some bloody sports games!!!!

I still have sleepless nights remembering the nightmare that was me @Phube & @dazzybee trying to have a game of bowling on Wii Sports Club. It was so bad that we only did it once, or was that because I bossed them?

Edited by Clownferret

I'm not sure they can afford to space out the big games. PS4 has shown what can happen if you have a good launch and then momentum takes over and apart from anything the likelihood is that Zelda will definitley be ready and a new Mario is overdue so probably also nearing completion.

They have Zelda for launch (albeit an upgraded Wii U version). If Mario doesn't hit for another 6-12 months I think that's fine, but they definitely do need to get some other strong first party titles out the door too.

I do agree that both Mario and Zelda at launch is a bit overkill. I'd be more than happy with Zelda and Luigi's Mansion. Those two on their own would trump most console launches, both Nintendo or otherwise.

Could be an incredible output with just the one platform to develop for, here's hoping.

They have Zelda for launch (albeit an upgraded Wii U version). If Mario doesn't hit for another 6-12 months I think that's fine, but they definitely do need to get some other strong first party titles out the door too.

as far as I can remember they've never launched a console without a Mario game and I can't see them stopping that tradition now.

I just hope that, if Luigi's Mansion does get made, it's closer to the Gamecube version than the bitesized 3DS game..

I hope so too! I didn't like Luigi's Mansion 2 anywhere near as much as the original but I'd still be excited for another instalment :hehe:

The clamour for a remastered trilogy is enormous, 1080p, 60FPS, all the DLC. If NX gets that as an exclusive it would be a big deal, and then presumably Andromeda to follow.

I reckon there is about as much chance of that happening as Reggie lassoing a pig and flying it to the moon.

It would be pretty cool if they do a remaster, although unless they're already some way through there's probably not really that much time for them to do it before ME:A's release. The first game though never really grabbed me, and to be honest would feel pretty outdated even if remastered.