NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Don't worry, when the NX is out you'll be able to pick up a Wii U for £25 in CEX if you ever find yourself needing it again :heh:

That'd have required people to buy the Wii U in order to sell it to CEX

I'm sure there's plenty of people out there without an internet connection that bought a Wii U because they didn't know better.

What's a Wii U? :blank:

I've got the last hardware revision of the Wii which is black in colour, shiny in its finish, has rounded edges and supports lots of weird - yet strangely cool - plastic figures - again, no idea what they are - plus the games look all shiny now, almost as if they are displaying in some kind of higher definition even; it even has this strange controller with a screen I hardly ever use as well, I tried to turn on the console without it but alas it's no good... I don't know what that's about. ::shrug:

But a Wii... U? I don't have one of those... unless, that's not a smudge next to the "Wii" logo is it? It seems to be some kind of letter... an "O" perhaps? :wtf:

Nah, I'm probably imagining it! :D

Anyway, the NX won't be out for a little while yet so until then I'm going to play on my "Wii" as you can even play digital versions of games from past Nintendo consoles on it! :o

Technology is incredible! : peace:

You may as well have waited for the NX. :D

If there's some huuuuge advantage to having the game on NX instead of WiiU, I'm going to be so pissed off. :heh:

Usually that's the one thing about Nintendo, you're guaranteed a Zelda game. You may not get Metroid (no fucking Metroid on WiiU is just uererhfuregheuifherhfeuhhef) or F Zero, but you'll get Zelda. I'm not counting Wind Waker or Twilight Princess because...just no.

You're quite right in saying that. In fact, that's the exact reason why I still have my N64 hooked up (I don't like what they did with the re-releases of Rare's N64 games; they messed around with stuff in them and mucked them up.

In the case of Nintendo's consoles, it's not a deal breaker because I know for certain that they're gonna be pumping out stuff that I'm gonna want anyway. For Sony and MS? I care more about the past than the future, so I dumped them in favour of having a PC hooked up to my TV (not gonna beat the backwards compatibility on that!).

But BC is still a huge bonus for me. The past is just as important as the future for me and many others. So while I won't avoid the NX if it lacks BC, it will be a huge bummer for me. I'm looking forward to seeing how they improve the experience of playing my existing games and I'm hoping to see it happen... Indeed, I still think it will happen. I'd be very surprised if the NX console/handheld didn't play Wii U/3DS games.

I guess it depends on what you want from gaming. For me, gaming is forward-thinking and when I played The Witcher 3, one of my first reactions afterwards was, "how is this going to change gaming for the future?" To me, it's a progressive industry. That's why we constantly have new hardware and new tech. It's about pushing boundaries and being able to do things that you couldn't do in the past. That's one of my incentives to game. I do understand how everyone is different though and I do see the merits in BC. For me, the whole purchase of a new console will never, ever hinge on the promise of BC.

In this digital age surely they can build effective backwards looking catalogues effectively anyway. Nintendo are mad. They have a stable of games that their rivals would love to have yet they trickle them out as if they are allergic to money. Get a proper VC from NES to WiiU and offer it day one. Get a company to just do the VC catalogue/creations. That's a selling point day one for a new console. All that nostalgia = more sales. Then just focus on the new stuff as their other dev gets their VC/Nindie stuff underway.

Im also in the side of having everything available on the one machine. I have my Wii wired up next to my Wii U but never use it, can't be bothered re-synching the controllers and have even got a couple of Wii games on the eshop because of this. I think NES - N64 VC are a given on the system but I'd also love to see the GC, Wii and Wii U games supported in some way even if NX games don't use those controllers.

I agree. I've 6 draws full of consoles/games and it's starting to annoy me. In this digital age there should be an improved means of accessing back catalogues. Obviously there are liscencing issues (that N64 isn't going anywhere for Goldeneye and the PS3 for Burnout3 aren't budging!) as well as hardware/software issues - but for some reason we're still far off. Hopefully Nintendo crack it and the NX is a system that can host their back catalogue effectively.

Im also in the side of having everything available on the one machine. I have my Wii wired up next to my Wii U but never use it, can't be bothered re-synching the controllers and have even got a couple of Wii games on the eshop because of this. I think NES - N64 VC are a given on the system but I'd also love to see the GC, Wii and Wii U games supported in some way even if NX games don't use those controllers.

Gamecube VC games are a must for the NX. I think we've waited long enough for those games and having those available digitally on day one would be a big plus in my eyes.

Gamecube VC games are a must for the NX. I think we've waited long enough for those games and having those available digitally on day one would be a big plus in my eyes.

I'm hoping they will be available for the Wii U as one last big effort - I still have a pre-made Purple folder in anticipation of GC games, don't let me down Nintendo - which would then carry over to the NX, Nintendo could still support the Wii U with VC games even when the NX is out, there's no reason not to if you can play everything linked to your account on the new machine like I think will be the case; it would be like the backwards compatibility on the Xbox One where you can choose which titles you want to download except... not in bits and pieces hopefully but rather all in one go. : peace:

I actually do as well, but that's for playing NTSC GCN/MD/NeoGeo games and my NTSC Wii game collection.

Really annoying that I can't get the GCN/MD/NG consoles' games on my Wii U (50hz garbage via the Wii menu doesn't count, 60hz or bust!)

Hopefully the NX controller has analogue L/R buttons...

Hopefully the NX controller has analogue L/R buttons...

Or it could just support the GCN controller adapter :heh:

Or it could just support the GCN controller adapter :heh:

Let's hope if they do they make more than 20 of them this time ;)

I actually do as well, but that's for playing NTSC GCN/MD/NeoGeo games and my NTSC Wii game collection.

Really annoying that I can't get the GCN/MD/NG consoles' games on my Wii U (50hz garbage via the Wii menu doesn't count, 60hz or bust!)

I had an NTSC Wii for the same reason but that died a couple of years ago, so I took by parents PAL one and use homebrew on it because Nintendo were unable to help me. Finding another US console proved to be a pain (I also figured I'd already paid for the games once so it's no big deal). Just one more argument for a unified account system and the end of region locking, I do really hope we'll see that on NX, but I'm not holding my breath.

@dazzybee how do you feel about this port rumour? I know yourself and a couple of others were quite vocal about the amount of remasters the other companies were putting out this generation.

I don't mind remasters as such, my issue was that (and still is to be honest) the best games on the system being remasters, for the first year or two they were the only really great games, especially for me, so it was really bad. If that's the case with nx, then I won't be happy, I own all the games; if they're just complimenting Mario kart 8, Mario, metroid, Zelda etc than I'll be absolutely fine with it.

I was waiting for that. :D

I'll be here all night. Actually I won't because I'm on my way to work...

Anyway, even if I won't buy Nintendo's next device on day one I'm looking forward to see what it has to offer.

maRElg7.png

Interesting....

I purchased a Wii U for Zelda and the next single player Mario platform game, so yes, if the NX has both of these (even if Zelda is simply an upscaled port of the Wii U) then it will wipe the floor with the Wii U's first few years on the market.

maRElg7.png

Interesting....

Instant access to Wiiu back Catalogue? lots of games already in the process of being ported (third party) the Vc has been upgraded to just work on the the Nx straight out of the gate?

They will launch with a NX version of Zelda and I would guess with a version of Mario Maker, that game is insanely popular and I can imagine it wouldn't be too hard to allow access to all the levels made on the Wii U version!

I wouldn't be shocked at all if Splatoon didn't come out soon after launch as that game has been a massive break out hit.

Will be interesting to see, if the rumours are true, what the 'launch period' balance is between ports and original titles. I'm sure they'll have plenty of new stuff up their sleeve, but it might be the most port-heavy console launch (as I'd assume third parties would port a few things to it).

Not that that's necessarily bad, would just be interesting. Sign of the times.

Edited by Ashley

I'm sure the launch will be fine.

It's the 2 or 3 (or 4) years after launch which concern me.

I expect the following at launch/launch period:

Ports:

Smash 4: Complete Edition

Zelda Wii U

New games:

A 3D Mario Platform/Adventure title

Pikmin 4

A return of an older I.P (Waverace, F-Zero)

An exclusive western 3rd party title

That alone would be pretty decent!

3D Mario and Zelda at launch by themselves would be better than pretty much any console launch ever. + the rest of what you mention... :eek: