NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Isn't it as simple as - if they can do , great, but they shouldn't compromise the console in anyway to make it happen...

Exactly, it'd be a nice addition for those of us who already own a Wii U but there's no sense in gimping the power of the console just to include BC.

Nintendo probably has such a surplus of Wii U's though that they could just take them apart and stick the processors into NX units at no extra cost. One way of getting rid of old stock.

Isn't it as simple as - if they can do , great, but they shouldn't compromise the console in anyway to make it happen...

For the majority, pretty much.

I'm more concerned about my controllers not being able to be used on the NX.

Backwards Compatability, I can give or take, but it would be very convenient and beneficial for the old controllers to be compatible.

BC is a big deal for me. I really want to be able to play everything from the one console. It's why I never bought a PS4. Absolutely will not consider a purchase unless it plays PS3/PS2/PS1 games in a way that either matches the PS1/2/3 hardware perfectly, or better. Simple as.

I will be VERY upset if the NX console doesn't play Wii U games; especially with the Virual Console catalogue available for it. Ditto for the NX handheld with New3DS/3DS games.

BC is a big deal for me. I really want to be able to play everything from the one console. It's why I never bought a PS4. Absolutely will not consider a purchase unless it plays PS3/PS2/PS1 games in a way that either matches the PS1/2/3 hardware perfectly, or better. Simple as.

I will be VERY upset if the NX console doesn't play Wii U games; especially with the Virual Console catalogue available for it. Ditto for the NX handheld with New3DS/3DS games.

Why?

Unless you trade in your systems, they're not going anywhere. I've still got all of mine and it's quite nice being able to experience the games as they were meant to be experienced on their respective systems with the controllers.

I agree with what others have said previously. If it doesn't harm the creation of the new system, then it's a good bonus to have. But, the system should in no way be built around being capable of playing all of the old stuff. Sometimes you need to look forwards rather than backwards.

Why?

Unless you trade in your systems, they're not going anywhere. I've still got all of mine and it's quite nice being able to experience the games as they were meant to be experienced on their respective systems with the controllers.

I agree with what others have said previously. If it doesn't harm the creation of the new system, then it's a good bonus to have. But, the system should in no way be built around being capable of playing all of the old stuff. Sometimes you need to look forwards rather than backwards.

Because I don't want dozens of systems hooked up to my TV. I want the convinience of having everything playable on the one device (ideally digitally, so I can just select between all of them from the same menu!)

It's really inconvenient to have to deal with multiple devices. It also means that past games can benefit from future console features as well (like how 360 games can be live streamed on Xbone)

It's also great for people who never owned the past consoles as well, because the games are all easily accessible and can be bought from the eShop. An already existing library of cheap games that are new to people who didn't buy a Wii U, or other past Nintendo consoles, is a big deal - especially considering how price conscious today's audience is.

And also with the success of other consoles it shows that backwards compatibility is not necessarily a system seller.

For me, its a feature that is nice to have.

Yep, said it before but BC is a feature that a vocal minority always demand and praise; when it comes down to it, BC has very little sway on the grand scale of things.

Most people buy a new games console to play new games. If that console has the new games they want to play, they buy it. And people will readily buy remasters.

Or you just carry on using the Wii U version as you are now...

Nintendo cannot carry on with all these controllers forever, continually adding new controllers with each new generation just gets more and more confusing.

The failure of the Wii U is the perfect chance to make a break from it all and start again. I can understand why the Wii U kept support with Wii accessories - it was the most successful console ever and they wanted to try to keep that going. They didn't manage that and now I feel they need to distance themselves from everything Wii branded - drop the controllers, drop BC and have a clean break.

If they don't match the architecture of the other consoles then the NX will run into exactly the same problems with third parties, it will be too much effort to port games, third party support will be minimal and we will just have to rely on Nintendo to fill out the release schedule.

The PS4 not being able to play PS3 games doesn't seem to have affected sales so I really don't think it would be a major issue if Nintendo dropped it. If they continually insist on dragging the past along with them then it will hinder their future.

Agree with everything you said. The controllers issue has become a bit of a joke - what's worse, most of the controllers are pretty garbage. Nintendo need to cut the past loose on this one.

Because I don't want dozens of systems hooked up to my TV. I want the convinience of having everything playable on the one device (ideally digitally, so I can just select between all of them from the same menu!)

It's really inconvenient to have to deal with multiple devices. It also means that past games can benefit from future console features as well (like how 360 games can be live streamed on Xbone)

It's also great for people who never owned the past consoles as well, because the games are all easily accessible and can be bought from the eShop. An already existing library of cheap games that are new to people who didn't buy a Wii U, or other past Nintendo consoles, is a big deal - especially considering how price conscious today's audience is.

I understand the inconvenience, but is that really worth a possible gimp of the system in one way or another, and which hampers the possibility of third party porting ease?

Yep, said it before but BC is a feature that a vocal minority always demand and praise; when it comes down to it, BC has very little sway on the grand scale of things.

Most people buy a new games console to play new games. If that console has the new games they want to play, they buy it. And people will readily buy remasters.

Agree with everything you said. The controllers issue has become a bit of a joke - what's worse, most of the controllers are pretty garbage. Nintendo need to cut the past loose on this one.

I remember going into Smyths when the wii U launched and it was ridicoulas how it was set up. You had a game lad hooked up to it, wiimote and nunchuck and the average person wouldn't have a clue which one was the actual default controller.

If the NX has gamepad and wiimote and nunchuck compatibility I will be very disappointed.

If the NX has gamepad and wiimote and nunchuck compatibility I will be very disappointed.

But what if they were completely optional and didn't affect the actual power of the console? What would be the downside then?

I remember going into Smyths when the wii U launched and it was ridicoulas how it was set up. You had a game lad hooked up to it, wiimote and nunchuck and the average person wouldn't have a clue which one was the actual default controller.

That's an issue with presentation, the wiimote and nunchuck shouldn't have been there, games showcasing just the gamepad should have been the focus - the whole world knew how the nunchuck/wiimote worked... or should have done.

As a parallel, the Wii never showed in demo booths a gamecube pad... (or did they???)

If BC with controllers is more along the lines of what we had with the Wii then that would be fine...

But what if they were completely optional and didn't affect the actual power of the console? What would be the downside then?

I would still be disappointed as I want Nintendo to break completely away from the wii_ brand.

As for optional shouldn't that be the case for the wii u but you still had the crazy notion of requiring a wiimote and nunchuck to play certain games.

It was like Nintendo just assumed people had wii controllers stocked away.

Brand and product confusion. From a marketing point of view I think it could result in mixed messages being received by the public.

The Wii U to this day is continuously confused with the Wii. There are many reasons for this. In my opinion the wide range of available control methods has added to consumer confusion.

From this point of view it is my opinion that the NX should not support controllers from previous platforms or at least if it does support them then for Nintendo not to actively market the fact that it does.

For me I don't mind them being useable but shouldn't be promoted or designed for them solely.

But I don't want to play Pikmin 4 not with the wiimote and nunchuck.

Zelda, Smash, Splatoon and Mario Maker being ported to NX would make a lot of sense. The latter three are too good to be stranded on Wii U.

For me I don't mind them being useable but shouldn't be promoted or designed for them solely.

But I don't want to play Pikmin 4 not with the wiimote and nunchuck.

Wii supported gc controllers

Wii U supports Wii controllers

NX should support Wii U controllers (pro controller and gamepad).

But I completely agree, it should be mentioned perhaps at E3 or w/e, but not promoted. I didn't realise wii controllers were promoted alongside the Wii U... I guess they wanted to draw attention to Wii owners that they could do that. whoops.

As for BC; fine with it. I think everything up to Wii should be VC, with just Wii U BC (though with how few got Wii Us and if NX is super poplar...some releases of Wii U digital would go down good and some titles would net million+sales again). Controller wise, I think it should be new and all-encompassing and purely focus on what NX games need. That said, it shouldn't be too hard to make it remote/gamepad compatible given they're just signals.

One thing I'd like to see is a range of offical retro pads released. NES, SNES, N64 etc. for the VC games. If they found a way to produce them easily and cheaply they could make good profit. It's one of those "not actual games" ways they could make profit.

Zelda, Smash, Splatoon and Mario Maker being ported to NX would make a lot of sense. The latter three are too good to be stranded on Wii U.

Xenoblade too you'd imagine..

Thing is with Platoon, I want a sequel so much I hope that isn't one of the games.

Xenoblade too you'd imagine..

Thing is with Platoon, I want a sequel so much I hope that isn't one of the games.

Smash Bros makes sense as there was loads of DLC and a ultimate edition with it all on disc would be a great product.

Mario Maker is an ever evolving service game so this makes sense to port.

Splatoon is stupidly popular in Japan and a 1.5 version of the game with a few added extras would probably do very well, especially at launch.

I can't see Xenoblade being one of them, unless they are looking to give the game a second try after it failed to set the market on fire.

@dazzybee how do you feel about this port rumour? I know yourself and a couple of others were quite vocal about the amount of remasters the other companies were putting out this generation.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Backwards compatibility is nice to have but I definitely don't see it as essential!

The Wii had it pretty spot on as you could play Wii, GC, N64, SNES and NES all from the one system as well as other consoles such as the Mega Drive :hehe:

For me, the Wii U's backwards compatibility with Wii games is almost unnecessary as there's no way to play Gamecube games on the Wii U, be it via discs or from the eShop, so that means you still have to have your Wii or Gamecube hooked up to be able to play those games. The only advantage I have found from it is that I have my Wii and Wii U in different rooms so at least I can play Wii titles in either one :heh:

However, the BIG problem with backwards compatibility is that you're never going to have every game you want, or own, on the one system. There are numerous games, such as Goldeneye on N64, Super Soccer on SNES or plenty of other titles from developers who now no longer exist that mean it is basically impossible for so many games to ever become downloadable.

There's almost always a reason to keep one of your old systems handy so if the NX doesn't have the ability to play Wii U titles, it won't really bother me : peace:

Don't worry, when the NX is out you'll be able to pick up a Wii U for £25 in CEX if you ever find yourself needing it again :heh:

Don't worry, when the NX is out you'll be able to pick up a Wii U for £25 in CEX if you ever find yourself needing it again :heh:

That'd have required people to buy the Wii U in order to sell it to CEX

I'm sure there's plenty of people out there without an internet connection that bought a Wii U because they didn't know better.

I get some of what you're saying (particularly the last bit) but I'd never consider it a deal breaker.

In some situations (like @nekunando said), you'd have to keep your old consoles to play certain games. We're never going to get an updated Perfect Dark or Goldeneye on a Nintendo machine or a VC version.

Imo, it makes more sense for time and resources to be spent on new games and experiences. That's predominantly what I look for when I buy a new console. Sure, playing Ocarina of Time again is fun, but surely the majority of gamers want the next Ocarina. The next game to be considered the greatest of all time. I didn't buy a WiiU to play The Wind Waker again, for example. I bought it for the next Zelda.

I didn't buy a WiiU to play The Wind Waker again, for example. I bought it for the next Zelda.

You may as well have waited for the NX. :D

I get some of what you're saying (particularly the last bit) but I'd never consider it a deal breaker.

In some situations (like @nekunando said), you'd have to keep your old consoles to play certain games. We're never going to get an updated Perfect Dark or Goldeneye on a Nintendo machine or a VC version.

You're quite right in saying that. In fact, that's the exact reason why I still have my N64 hooked up (I don't like what they did with the re-releases of Rare's N64 games; they messed around with stuff in them and mucked them up.

Imo, it makes more sense for time and resources to be spent on new games and experiences. That's predominantly what I look for when I buy a new console. Sure, playing Ocarina of Time again is fun, but surely the majority of gamers want the next Ocarina. The next game to be considered the greatest of all time. I didn't buy a WiiU to play The Wind Waker again, for example. I bought it for the next Zelda.

In the case of Nintendo's consoles, it's not a deal breaker because I know for certain that they're gonna be pumping out stuff that I'm gonna want anyway. For Sony and MS? I care more about the past than the future, so I dumped them in favour of having a PC hooked up to my TV (not gonna beat the backwards compatibility on that!).

But BC is still a huge bonus for me. The past is just as important as the future for me and many others. So while I won't avoid the NX if it lacks BC, it will be a huge bummer for me. I'm looking forward to seeing how they improve the experience of playing my existing games and I'm hoping to see it happen... Indeed, I still think it will happen. I'd be very surprised if the NX console/handheld didn't play Wii U/3DS games.