NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

For some reason, I kind of think that the "handheld" portion of the NX will be more of a companion device. So the controller will run and store simple apps and games which can be used without the console nearby.

Edited by Cube

Surely the handheld market is too important for nintendo for that? Plus they have no direct competition so surely it's worth another shot and see what happens before caving into mobile.

A few tidbits about the NX posted on reddit by an apparently verified source

As promised, I've decided to share some more NX information with you. This is second-hand information from trusted sources (like last time) and I have little reason to doubt its validity.

Here you go:

x86 architecture.

Backup data to Nintendo server (most likely My Nintendo).

Support for additional screen.

Can handle ports of current-gen games.

Will be able to interact with smartdevice apps.

Using NX software will unlock My Nintendo reward points.

Most of it just sounds like common sense predictions, but the apparent use of x86 architecture is really exciting, but would mean that there'd be no native backwards compatibility with Wii U games. Also brings up some big questions about how the handheld and console will be compatible if the handheld uses ARM instead of x86.

In other rumours, we'll apparently get a Direct or something similar after Star Fox Zero releases that goes into more detail on the NX, so hopefully only a few weeks until we can stop speculating and start getting some concrete info.

When it says "Can handle ports of current-gen games" I am not to optimistic about it. I would prefer if it would say "Can handle ports of current-gen games with no problems and can give superior performances.

When it says "Can handle ports of current-gen games" I am not to optimistic about it. I would prefer if it would say "Can handle ports of current-gen games with no problems and can give superior performances.

The choice to go for x86 architecture means that porting games developed on the PS4 and Xbox One should be a simple process because the PS4 and One both use x86 processing.

Nintendo have always used PowerPC architecture in the past, so third parties have had to devote more resources to port between PS4 and Wii U than they would between PS4 and Xbox One, so hopefully this news is true and means we'll get more third party titles, day and date with those on other platforms and with content on par or superior to other versions.

For some reason, I kind of think that the "handheld" portion of the NX will be more of a companion device. So the controller will run and store simple apps and games which can be used without the console nearby.

Can't see it. Nintendo's handheld market is bigger than the console market. They need to release a handheld.

Can't see it. Nintendo's handheld market is bigger than the console market. They need to release a handheld.

Or merge the two and make it a hybrid :p

Or merge the two and make it a hybrid :p

While i'm not bothered what form the NX takes, it would be hilarious if it is a hybrid. The amount of crow that would need to be eaten on the internet would be insane. :D

While i'm not bothered what form the NX takes, it would be hilarious if it is a hybrid. The amount of crow that would need to be eaten on the internet would be insane. :D

Well, I don't think anyone saw the PS4K coming out and potentially dividing the PS4 user base and essentially (and to a greater degree) doing what the New 3DS did. So if Nintendo do something wild as well it would certainly be an interesting year for gaming! All we would need is MS to pull something mad out of the hat and E3 would be total carnage!

Well, I don't think anyone saw the PS4K coming out and potentially dividing the PS4 user base and essentially (and to a greater degree) doing what the New 3DS did. So if Nintendo do something wild as well it would certainly be an interesting year for gaming! All we would need is MS to pull something mad out of the hat and E3 would be total carnage!

If the PS4K is true, I think it could work to Nintendos advantage. The NX will be launching mid generation, which is against the norm but if Sony and Microsoft decided to update their consoles mid gen, then I think the NX will fit in nicely.

E3 this year is either going to be amazing or just an absolute mess, with all the hardware companies dropping the ball.

E3 this year is either going to be amazing or just an absolute mess, with all the hardware companies dropping the ball.

Yeah, it could be an amazing E3 for gamers. Nintendo picking up the pace again, Sony and Microsoft delivering more and more.

It could also go downhill in the two days everything gets revealed...

I really hope it's going to be incredible for us :D

What I hope is that the official NX reveal brings back an old friend

NoG9K.png

What I hope is that the official NX reveal brings back an old friend

NoG9K.png

I genuinely thought he may appear in Super Smash Bros in some form on Wii U or 3DS.. :red:

Listening to NWR Podcast and they raise an interesting point that sort of seems so obvious really (or more I live in hope). With my nintendo launching and snes games on 3DS we all cried that nintendo never learn and god a bit worried that maybe NX wouldn't give us everything we wanted like cross buy. Their point was that actually starting that on NX becomes a big clear selling point for the console, a breaking point from the past with a brand new console and a new start. I'm embellishing the point a bit but it makes lots of sense.

Either that or nintendo really will slowly roll out the same VC games over the 5 years of the NX lifespan and charge us upgrade fees...

Listening to NWR Podcast and they raise an interesting point that sort of seems so obvious really (or more I live in hope). With my nintendo launching and snes games on 3DS we all cried that nintendo never learn and god a bit worried that maybe NX wouldn't give us everything we wanted like cross buy. Their point was that actually starting that on NX becomes a big clear selling point for the console, a breaking point from the past with a brand new console and a new start. I'm embellishing the point a bit but it makes lots of sense.

Either that or nintendo really will slowly roll out the same VC games over the 5 years of the NX lifespan and charge us upgrade fees...

I liked their point but it doesn't make the situation any easier to swallow. Cross buy is possible now, so it's just a matter of Nintendo not wanting to do it.

If it is indeed coming with the NX then they shouldn't have put the SNES games out on the 3DS so late in its life. As it stands, it looks like they are trying to grab as much cash out of its userbase as possible. The fact that they are charging more than what they are on the Wii U is even more baffling.

Will be interesting to see what they break away from and what they keep (such as backwards compatibility etc).

I'd be happy for them to scrap everything they've done so far and start afresh, but that's because I'm that way inclined in my life!

One could argue they start afresh with each consoles, which is why we keep having to buy the same games ;)

Will be interesting to see what they break away from and what they keep (such as backwards compatibility etc).

I'd be happy for them to scrap everything they've done so far and start afresh, but that's because I'm that way inclined in my life!

One could argue they start afresh with each consoles, which is why we keep having to buy the same games ;)

I'll be instantly happy knowing that the name of the console hasn't got 'Wii' in it, has no pun with Mii or ii - actually not having a made up name would be great. Basically burn the connection with the Wii; no sensors in the box, not even any sensor inputs on the console lol.

The whole Wii brand just feels so lethargic right now.

I'm definitely happy for them do away with backwards compatibility of Wii U games if it means the NX is more attractive to third parties. Nintendo can always release NX ports of the best Wii U titles anyway, and having more third party releases means they won't have to pad release schedules with remasters to keep software sales up like they have this generation.

I really hope a crossbuy system is implemented, but one that takes into account purchases on Wii U and 3DS. I wouldn't mind paying a small fee per game, like 50p at most, but allowing Wii U owners to download all their VC games for free on the NX would be a nice thank you to those of us who've supported and enjoyed the Wii U.

Man, the NX reddit posts are out of control. Everyone is saying they know something now. It's hilarious. :D

Ah, feels like my childhood.

Come on, Nintendo. Be great again :)

With regards to moving away from the Wii generation, an interesting thread on gaf about Nintendo's recent rebranding seems to suggest they're doing just that

They then launched this yesterday. :D

http://nos.nintendo-europe.com/landing.html

CfR3z5HWAAIGy2k.jpg

I do believe they are heading back to that red and white branding though. It just makes sense and will give a nice clean break from the Wii era.

If Nintendo use architecture in-line with the others (that rumoured x86 is music to my ears), catch up in the online/social space and develop titles with a sense of how they did in the post Wii era (less mini-games compilations and wider use of their IP etc), I'll be more than happy!

Edited by Kav