NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

They tried that in 2012 :p

They had that ace E3 Direct just before E3, which was done rather well and even well received.

NoG9K.png

Then, at E3...well...fireworks.

2012 didn't work because they covered everything in the Direct which made E3 moot. They can announce details of the console and maybe one release game prior to E3 then show all the other games at E3 and have hands-on demos!

That'd be perfect!

2012 didn't work because they covered everything in the Direct which made E3 moot. They can announce details of the console and maybe one release game prior to E3 then show all the other games at E3 and have hands-on demos!

That'd be perfect!

That's what they did, though. They didn't show any games in that E3 Direct except New Super Mario Bros. U and a glimpse of Zombi U.

I have played and really enjoyed a lot of the launch software, but it did not make for an impressive launch or E3 showing. If the software they have now is of a similar style, then they should absolutely wait until E3 and announce everything at the same time. If they have more than Zelda to show for NX and it is a core/new franchise that will demo well then I think they should announce the hardware beforehand.

That's what they did, though. They didn't show any games in that E3 Direct except New Super Mario Bros. U and a glimpse of Zombi U.

The problem was the games they showed... Pikmin was great and Lego City & ZombiU were alright... but the rest were either games already out for ages on other consoles or simply just tripe.

If they do that for NX then of course it'll be awful again. When we say show games at E3, we're not talking about games that have already been out, or dance/sing along shit, or the underwhelming Nintendoland!

We're talking about games that people are speculating they must be working on given how barren the big WiiU releases are!

I'm very surprised that people want Nintendo to cut the hype in half and reveal it in two stages. What's the point? Just go all out at E3 and blow everyone away. Playstation and Xbox would then be an afterthought and everyone would be talking about Nintendo.

It maximises reach.

My entire job revolves around social media and comms so trust me on this, but the way Sony handled the PS4 launch was frickin' genius. The pre-E3 conference, which was aimed mainly at the industry and stakeholders, put them in an incredibly strong position before E3 happened. The social reach/impressions it generated were huge and the media coverage was the biggest of any E3 since the days of the Wii announcement. Superb stuff.

I have played and really enjoyed a lot of the launch software, but it did not make for an impressive launch or E3 showing. If the software they have now is of a similar style, then they should absolutely wait until E3 and announce everything at the same time. If they have more than Zelda to show for NX and it is a core/new franchise that will demo well then I think they should announce the hardware beforehand.

Yep, basically this... and @Goron3's post above.

Aren't Zelda and Pikmin 4 almost a safe bet for the E3? Just Zelda should make it a good E3 and then let's hope for some games to make it a great E3.

Well, let's look at how things may be looking for launch, at least first party, that we know of.

Zelda is likely to be ported

A 3D Mario has been in development since 2013. Most likely launch.

Pikmin 4 is said to be near completion

That Smash NX rumour from that analyst who is quite trustworthy.

Already that looks a lot better than NSMBU and NintendoLand.

Edited by Serebii

I would keep in mind that that one of the reasons why the Wii did so well at E3 2006 was the fact that they had already held an event to talk about the console and the controller.

Well, let's look at how things may be looking for launch, at least first party, that we know of.

Zelda is likely to be ported

A 3D Mario has been in development since 2013. Most likely launch.

Pikmin 4 is said to be near completion

That Smash NX rumour from that analyst who is quite trustworthy.

Already that looks a lot better than NSMBU and NintendoLand.

Even with two last gen ports I think most would be reasonably happy with that.

Crazy theory: what if Nintendo are actually fixing third party relationships, and they need to reveal the NX before E3 so EA can reveal games at their event?

I would keep in mind that that one of the reasons why the Wii did so well at E3 2006 was the fact that they had already held an event to talk about the console and the controller.

Even with two last gen ports I think most would be reasonably happy with that.

Well it's unfair to call Zelda a "last gen port", to be fair. That's the sort of bull people pulled when they claimed Pikmin 3 was a Wii game.

People were also using the term for a lot of XBO/PS4 games until the last gen versions stopped getting made (except for the one or two which are ported down by another team, like Rise of the Tomb Raider).

Well it's unfair to call Zelda a "last gen port", to be fair. That's the sort of bull people pulled when they claimed Pikmin 3 was a Wii game.

Pikmin 3 never released on Wii....

I thought you were referring to a port of the the Zelda game that is being worked on for Wii U?

Pikmin 3 never released on Wii....

I thought you were referring to a port of the the Zelda game that is being worked on for Wii U?

Yeah but it'd have been tweaked and altered for NX, like Twilight Princess was.

Pikmin 3 started off as a Wii game, then development shifted to the Wii U. This wouldn't be that much different, it's just the Wii U version is also coming.

All we currently know is its being developed for the Wii U. If it is indeed ported to the NX (as many assume at this point it will be), it is a "last gen port". There's nothing wrong with that, it's just that's one way of describing it.

Pikmin 3 is a bit different because it only came to light later that it started on Wii (if I recall correctly), whereas Zelda has been talked about being for Wii U. And by the time the NX is released the Wii U (and its games) will be last generation.

Yeah but it'd have been tweaked and altered for NX, like Twilight Princess was.

Pikmin 3 started off as a Wii game, then development shifted to the Wii U. This wouldn't be that much different, it's just the Wii U version is also coming.

Twilight Princess Wii wasn't a remaster, it was a straight port with widescreen and some quick Wiimote controls added. They literally took the GC code and moved it to the Wii...

Do you not consider the 3rd party ports that the Wii U got early on (Batman, Mass Effect) to be ports? Or are they brand new games?

Twilight Princess Wii wasn't a remaster, it was a straight port with widescreen and some quick Wiimote controls added. They literally took the GC code and moved it to the Wii...

Do you not consider the 3rd party ports that the Wii U got early on (Batman, Mass Effect) to be ports? Or are they brand new games?

No, I do consider those ports, but I don't consider Twilight Princess a port.

Tell me, take say The Division. Do you consider the PS4/XBO versions ports, or do you consider them different releases?

Edited by Serebii

No, I do consider those ports, but I don't consider Twilight Princess a port.

Can you explain the justification?

Can you explain the justification?

Release timing.

Twilight Princess is as much a port of a game as say The Division is, or Assassin's Creed, or any game that is released on multiple formats. People seldom use the term port for them. Port is typically used when a game is released on a console after initial release.

They were released on the same day (or a week or so)...

Wait, re-read.

I use port to mean taking a game developed on one console to another which was not initially planned.

From wiki:

In software engineering, porting is the process of adapting software so that an executable program can be created for a computing environment that is different from the one for which it was originally designed (e.g. different CPU, operating system, or third party library). The term is also used when software/hardware is changed to make them usable in different environments.

Edited by Ashley

Release timing.

Twilight Princess is as much a port of a game as say The Division is, or Assassin's Creed, or any game that is released on multiple formats. People seldom use the term port for them. Port is typically used when a game is released on a console after initial release.

You've literally just made up your own definition of the word port.

Using TP as the example, that game is built and designed around the GC. Heck, they showed it before they even finalised the Wii. They copied it over to the Wii far into development. I have no idea why you decided to talk about release timings.

The other thing is having the time to explain everything properly, so splitting in half could get everything the time it needs.

They could do all that in their post-E3 Treehouse segments, which IMO would be brilliant. Usually we get a massive reveal for a new console, then nothing but waiting to see or know more - but they could really use the post-expo days to overload us with new info.

I'm for an all out E3 reveal.

Crazy theory: what if Nintendo are actually fixing third party relationships, and they need to reveal the NX before E3 so EA can reveal games at their event?

As in, a Direct a few days before E3? Maybe.

In percent, how likely do you guys think Final Fantasy 15 or Final Fantasy 7 Remake hit the NX? Quiet a few rumours coming up around Cloud's appearance in Smash.

Presuming the teams behind Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Pikmin and Next Level Games (and maybe even animal crossing), they could have a lot of big big games to show off. So I don't think they need much more buzz, revealing the console - especially if it is a little underwhelming in some aspects would be a good thing, then show off all the amazing games, all our wii u and eshop/vc games work straight off the bat - expanded online/social services etc. That'd be pretty good :D

They could do all that in their post-E3 Treehouse segments, which IMO would be brilliant. Usually we get a massive reveal for a new console, then nothing but waiting to see or know more - but they could really use the post-expo days to overload us with new info.

I'm for an all out E3 reveal.

As in, a Direct a few days before E3? Maybe.

In percent, how likely do you guys think Final Fantasy 15 or Final Fantasy 7 Remake hit the NX? Quiet a few rumours coming up around Cloud's appearance in Smash.

Hitting it this year? Not so likely in my opinion, like 30/35%. Next year? Probably much more probable, at least in my books.

As for E3, I can see there being a Direct which reveals the controller a few weeks in advance to start the hype before console and game reveals at E3.

You've literally just made up your own definition of the word port.

Using TP as the example, that game is built and designed around the GC. Heck, they showed it before they even finalised the Wii. They copied it over to the Wii far into development. I have no idea why you decided to talk about release timings.

Maybe inadvertently, but I have never heard anyone call games ports when they're released on different systems at the same time.