NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

I can't get my head around the shape! Does anybody have any idea why it would be designed this way? I just don't understand.. real or not.. ::shrug:

I'd have to imagine it would be painful to the Nintendo execs that they're thrown at.

That things looks pretty streamlined.

Confirmed fake (what a shocker :indeed: )

I don't see how that confirms it to be fake (unless i'm missing something) because all that shows it that is that frame of the Unreal4 Demo and overlays it at the angle the controller is at :blank:

EDIT: although this makes sense http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=198610895&postcount=4036

It just seems to cast doubt on it further confusing the vague statement from the guy with the NDA, which is open to interpretation

Prehaps that was a prototype that was not inteded to be for the NX

Perhaps its entirely fake

PErhaps its an early prototype

"this should not have exposed" is open to a lot of interpretation

Edited by Agent Gibbs

Confirmed fake (what a shocker :indeed: )

I'm surprised it took so long.

Oh well, at least now we know that we really don't want anything that resembles that. I don't, anyway.

I love wired gaming but boy would that thing eat through your electricity.

I don't see how that confirms it to be fake (unless i'm missing something) because all that shows it that is that frame of the Unreal4 Demo and overlays it at the angle the controller is at :blank:

I wasn't too sure either. But I just want to accept it as such just because I've never loathed a controller so much, fake or not.

I do love all the speculation and chatter surrounding it though :)

Agreed, especially seeing as it allowed for a reemergence of a topic somewhat discussed when that patent "leaked".

I can say for a fact that I actually hate the concept and shape of that patent now.

Hate to say it but something to talk about excites me most

anyway

Rosti the source updated since people are confused

The most pertinent bit being that individuals (could be read as Nintendo Execs) are very unhappy over the leaks including this one,

So its possible this is something Nintendo produced, but more than that is unknown

I'm tending to think this could have been the failed prototype, hence Nintendo's indignation as it is bad PR

I don't dislike the concept of this, it could work, but the form factor of it is wrong and looks awful, IF nintendo went down the route of a hybrid controller screen i would expect it to have a bare minimum of two face buttons more than likely 4, set into a more square form factor - this screams early prototype from those images

Edited by Agent Gibbs

Hate to say it but something to talk about excites me most

anyway

Rosti the source updated since people are confused

The most pertinent bit being that individuals (could be read as Nintendo Execs) are very unhappy over the leaks including this one,

So its possible this is something Nintendo produced, but more than that is unknown

I'm tending to think this could have been the failed prototype, hence Nintendo's indignation as it is bad PR

If this is legit Nintendo have a real problem on their hands (not arguing for or against its validity).

The last thing they need after the last few months of yet-to-be-disproved "leaks" is NX related hardware/software getting out, especially as a photo.

Yeah a leak of such sort is damaging as it removes context, and scale

That could be wiiu game pad sized and therefore have a much larger screen, equally it could be a little larger than an iphone

It could have physical clear buttons, it could be a freaking peripheral! so leaks like this aren't good

They could also be unhappy because its really off-base and could, arguably, make them look bad through association (i.e. someone may see it, believe it to be real and get annoyed and loose interest).

They may also dislike it because someone is trying to trick fans (if it was completely fake) and they heart their fans.

Saying Nintendo disapprove of this doesn't mean its confirmation something like this is true. Just playing devil's advocate.

Yeah a leak of such sort is damaging as it removes context, and scale

That could be wiiu game pad sized and therefore have a much larger screen, equally it could be a little larger than an iphone

It could have physical clear buttons, it could be a freaking peripheral! so leaks like this aren't good

You can get a gist of its size by the DS and its stylus in the top left of the pic (I'm assuming/guessing that's what they are)... as well as the post-it.

Either way, it's got people talking about NX.

Edited by Kav

I think the design could be interesting if Nintendo have got the "bump" touch screen technology working well, and that the buttons it "creates" feel good.

I can't get my head around the shape! Does anybody have any idea why it would be designed this way? I just don't understand.. real or not.. ::shrug:

I imagine the cheapest shape is rectangle/square followed by oval/circle. Having a more trapezium style shape like the pro controller would be a smarter move imo.

What were the reactions to the Wii U gamepad? I wasn't round here then... and I can't recall the Wii remote so well but I think I recall some resistance to the lack of buttons compared to the gc controller...

Just a thought... but generally when playing games, looking at my pro controller, I either used the ABXY buttons OR the analogue stick, never both at the same time. What if holding down the r shoulder button opens up access to the buttons, selecting them using the righthand analogue stick? icons around the stick indicate what action you enable with each button rather than abstract a or b, developers could (in theory at least) have 1 button or 8 buttons... as I said, just a thought.

maybe hold the right shoulder button and turn it outward to select another set of buttons... it could be real.

It looks ugly but looking at the gamepad that doesn't discount it...

There's no way that this is the real controller. It's a fake. It looks impractical to use and I...don't even know where to begin with it.

Can't say that I'm thrilled with it if it does turn out to be the real deal.

They could also be unhappy because its really off-base and could, arguably, make them look bad through association (i.e. someone may see it, believe it to be real and get annoyed and loose interest).

They may also dislike it because someone is trying to trick fans (if it was completely fake) and they heart their fans.

Saying Nintendo disapprove of this doesn't mean its confirmation something like this is true. Just playing devil's advocate.

Very good points too, if its amazing troll to wind up nintendo fans it worked

Do hope we get some genuine news soon, because that was fun whilst it lasted, and made me realise despite thinking otherwise, i'm kind of hyped for the prospect of the NX

Guess i'll just wait for someone to do a very convincing Photoshop mock up of the more wiiu pad looking patent to get hyped again

This mock up on GAF makes the 'leak' actually look quite nice

2AlzoTS.jpg

Edited by Agent Gibbs

Nope, dreaming of next gen Metroid is what's exciting about that picture :p

You could superimpose Metroid on a toaster and we'd be excited about it.

Edited by Retro_Link

Very good points too, if its amazing troll to wind up nintendo fans it worked

Do hope we get some genuine news soon, because that was fun whilst it lasted, and made me realise despite thinking otherwise, i'm kind of hyped for the prospect of the NX

Guess i'll just wait for someone to do a very convincing Photoshop mock up of the more wiiu pad looking patent to get hyped again

This mock up on GAF makes the 'leak' actually look quite nice

2AlzoTS.jpg

Dare I say (predicting thunderbolt replies backed up by an army of 'thanks'), I can't see whats so outrageous about that product... If the hybrid speculation is correct then we are bound to get something like this.

I really don't mind that massive screen and think having joysticks over the screen isn't SO strange and might create a nice wider screen dynamic.

Don't get the argument, though, how something like this will deter third parties... Isn't the whole attracting 3rd parties based on architecture of the system, as in similar to the competition for ease of porting?

If its the relationship to the Wii U's gamepad, I thought the train of thought of a hybrid is that the handheld will be an off-shoot of the home console. (ie essentially a portable gamepad but without prioritising stuff like off-screen play).

In any case I think we should all brace ourselves for the real thing, I somehow doubt a Nintendo PS4 with a Gamecube controller with no gimmicks is what we'll be getting...

Don't get the argument, though, how something like this will deter third parties... Isn't the whole attracting 3rd parties based on architecture of the system, as in similar to the competition for ease of porting?

Architecture is one thing, ease of porting it across is another factor (which varies between studios obviously as some like EA can throw a lot of resources at it, others can't).

That preview image looks nice and dandy. Let's try it for some existing games on other hardware.

General Points

- The masking out of the old image and buttons is rough because I've got other things to do, but expresses the idea.

- I tried to fit the image so that the bottom edge lines up with that of the previous image, the width matches the width of the controller. Subsequently all images have had their height reduced, meaning their aspect ratio has changed. Obviously it could just be the prototype image being badly proportion as I highly doubt Nintendo would...but if you're asking devs to do a whole new aspect ratio for the controller (never mind one that is different from the standard TV one) it's not going to be easily adopted.

- It's worth noting that the prototype image has the person holding the control with their elbows out so their arms are essentially forming a triangle. This is not a natural or comfortable position, meaning you'd end up covering up part of the screen with your hands.

Destiny

Original image

28k7g53.jpg

- Radar is missing

- Checkpoint guidance ('A' in the original image on the left) is obstructed. Obviously it's temporary based on current location, but worth noting.

- Amount of glimmer (or whatever the currency was called) obstructed by right stick

MGS V

Original Image

eb3prs.jpg

- Menu and text obstructed or cropped out

No Man's Sky

Original image

24l0fpt.jpg

- UI completely missing

Nuclear Throne

Original image

29psxu1.jpg

- Elements of UI missing / cropped

The Swindle

Original image

efid13.jpg

- Elements of UI missing / cropped

"Conclusions"

Obviously this is a mockup of something on the internet. We have no idea if it's true, yet alone close to what might actually happen. So I'm not saying this is a total failure and Nintendo is shit or anything stupid like that.

However, I'm trying to point out a few things:

1) As soon as you start adding barriers to porting, you start adding reasons why it doesn't happen or delays the release. Yes, some developers can afford to work on making this right, others might look and decide it is not worth it. It is something that has happened for the last few generations.

2) The shape of the controller does not match with the apparent desire to have the game on the screen. It means either parts of the image will be missing, it needs to be reconfigured by the dev when porting or we end up with some bizarre scenario where most of the controller is filler:

r0ci7n.jpg

Yes, that would in part be useful for the buttons (i.e. the game could map the word "attack" under the appropriate button), but its a lot of wasted real estate.

I don't believe that if this is even roughly in line with what Nintendo is doing they haven't thought about these things and figured out solutions and approaches. What I am curious about is if they spoke to developers about this at all (if I recall correctly, they didn't consult with devs for the Wii U whereas Sony and Microsoft did and their feedback helped shape the consoles) or whether they just think developers will try it out to see what would happen.

Yes, it would open up some interesting ideas and could make some very unique games, but the same can be said of the Wii U (and how successful third parties have been in doing so could be questioned - and there's plenty of reason/blame for that before we get into that argument). But getting unique games is one (great) thing. Being able to keep on track with releases on other consoles is another, and one that Nintendo has not had much luck with lately. And I grant you they may not wish to.

If it's just used as an alternate view, rather than replicated the TV, then that would fare better as it can be designed around these points. But really, how often has this happened with the Wii U? And by that I mean games that specifically display something different (and useful) on the GamePad from the TV.

Edited by Ashley

@Ashley Appreciate the work put in your post, I can see how things like menus and other user interface may not translate well on such a screen.

Let alone if there's an enemy shooting at you from behind your very own analogue stick!

... Damn them and their clever AI!!

Is the screen is like that, I imagine that the majority of games will use the 16:9 rectangle in the middle, and that the rest is either a wider camera angle to the main view (so you can see more), a border or even using the extra space for a different HUD layout.

Yeah that's kind of what I was getting at towards the end. It would still be an extra burden, but could provide beneficial. Although I fear (from a design POV if nothing else) that the surroundings would just become an ugly plain border. We shall see!