NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

It could be 900p60 as the baseline for what they are aiming as the minimum.

*shrug*

Nintendo needs to announce the Nintendo NX know and I am getting confused because the media calls it a hybrid if it's a console and a handheld together I don't want that because I want the handheld separate

Sensor bar yuck. That would mean backwards compability and still a Nintendo console supporting Wiimotes.

No more Wii!!!

Are you actually saying that backwards compatability is a bad thing? That's just silly.

Of course it's gonna support Wiimotes! How the hell are you supposed to play the eShop version of Mario Galaxy 2 without it?

The more I think about it, the more I think it may just be a handheld that can stream to the TV, but the handheld is Wii u powered and all Wii u games work on it, and all NX games work on Wii u too. So it's kept alive. I don't see in any way how a brand new console mid generation makes business sense, however much I want it to be that. Why would gamers get a ps4 powered Nintendo console? Why would Nintendo fans who bought the Wii u upgrade? What happens in a few years when the next gen starts?

I want a home console too, but just beginning to think Nintendo will ride it out, new NX handheld/hybrid, Wii u still supported... I don't know...

Wow what a "leak", it is a handheld/console, it plays games and has a HDMI cable... Woo :indeed:

Lol @ the graphics being 900p/60FPS. As if games adhere to a standard framerate/resolution and don't vary at all according to what fits them best :laughing:

Next they'll be telling us that the console plugs into a wall socket! Scoop of the century!

This "leak" is nonsense.

Edited by Dcubed

A hybrid (of sorts) is the only thing that makes sense to me. I just see it doomed to fail otherwise.

A hybrid (of sorts) is the only thing that makes sense to me. I just see it doomed to fail otherwise.

Can't it just be a handheld with a home console coming a year later?

Can't it just be a handheld with a home console coming a year later?

I should've elaborated to be fair. If it's just a home console I can't see it doing well. If it's a handheld it'll do moderately, but not as well as the 3DS.

I think Nintendo's market is in decline and I think a hybrid, consolidating the consoles, would appeal to more people than two consoles separately would.

Are you actually saying that backwards compatability is a bad thing? That's just silly.

Of course it's gonna support Wiimotes! How the hell are you supposed to play the eShop version of Mario Galaxy 2 without it?

It's a bad thing if it means once again we have a console that requires more than the pad that comes with it to play a game. It's bad if it means the architecture needs to be vastly different to the XB1/PS4 just so BC is possible.

Rest of the survey as come and proves it's speculation.

Nothing to see here.

Rest of the survey as come and proves it's speculation.

Nothing to see here.

If I have understood it, it's not even a speculation, it's just testing the public opinion what if....

But some of the options really look stupid, like 32gb storage, eHDD supported, no optical disc drive, 549 dollars price...., while 1TB storage, no eHDD supported, optical disc, 299 dollars. Or I just don't get it.....

I mean I know that they were trying to do, but some options shouldn't even be there, it's not like someone would vote for them.

Edited by Kounan

It's a bad thing if it means once again we have a console that requires more than the pad that comes with it to play a game. It's bad if it means the architecture needs to be vastly different to the XB1/PS4 just so BC is possible.

I will always agree with this. nip all of the Wii-esque stuff in the bud and start afresh.

The question of "how can we play old games that required the Wiimote?" is more Nintendo's fault for making games Wii-mote specific yet change the controller in the next gen.

For the sake of leaving the Wii brand and stuff behind, I'll even be content with sacrificing backward compatibility on the NX. I favour a strong focus on the new and the future.

I personally believe it's going to be almost impossible for Nintendo to make decent gains back in to the main gaming audience. I don't care anymore about Nintendo hardware specifically and I'm going to the conclusion, which I never thought I would, that they either need to make an alliance with Sony and develop exclusively or use what reserves they have and buy out some major Japanese software houses.

I just can't see them turning this around and I've been praying for it since the N64. They have now backed themselves in to a corner and I'm not confident they can get out going by both long and short term history.

I personally believe it's going to be almost impossible for Nintendo to make decent gains back in to the main gaming audience. I don't care anymore about Nintendo hardware specifically and I'm going to the conclusion, which I never thought I would, that they either need to make an alliance with Sony and develop exclusively or use what reserves they have and buy out some major Japanese software houses.

I just can't see them turning this around and I've been praying for it since the N64. They have now backed themselves in to a corner and I'm not confident they can get out going by both long and short term history.

Can see why you think that but I do remember similar being said after the GC.

I will always agree with this. nip all of the Wii-esque stuff in the bud and start afresh.

The question of "how can we play old games that required the Wiimote?" is more Nintendo's fault for making games Wii-mote specific yet change the controller in the next gen.

For the sake of leaving the Wii brand and stuff behind, I'll even be content with sacrificing backward compatibility on the NX. I favour a strong focus on the new and the future.

They don't even need BC. It's a feature vastly overrated. People moan when a console doesn't have it but it's really not something which the majority of consumers care about. Want BC get out the old console.

They don't even need BC. It's a feature vastly overrated. People moan when a console doesn't have it but it's really not something which the majority of consumers care about. Want BC get out the old console.

People went CRAZY when Xbox announced BC last E3, it was one of the main talking points of the show. People want the option to be there.

So true. It's a feature often requested by those who speak loudly but really I doubt it has very little sway in getting lots of people to buy your console. As is the case here - PS4 continues its lead while Microsoft aren't really closing the gap at all. No, far more important is what system your friends have so you can play with them and what new games each system is getting. And one of those companies not trying to pull a fast one with policies, heh.

I get that it is held up as a poster child for fan service, I just don't buy that most gamers value it so highly. In the case of X1 disc BC, I think it's more of a convenience thing, since most probably still have their 360s lying about. You don't make waves just with convenience.

Edited by Sheikah

Yeah, forget backwards compatibility, it's very under-used. Most casual owners of DS and Wii didn't even know about gba/GameCube and those that did were hardcore fans that still had their original systems. If it's easy to incorporate then fine, but if it means having to have an awkward architecture again then forget about it. Also, they HAVE to ditch the controllers. Trying to explain to my non-gamer friend who recently got a Wii U what controller she needs for different games is a nightmare. It's like 'don't get a classic controller as that only works with Wii games and some Wii U games, a classic controller Pro is the same but a PRO controller works with most Wii U games, party games you'll need a Wii remote, a normal one will do for most but... Wait, that game Nintendo Land that comes with the system? Yeah you'll need Wii motion plus for that.'

A normal controller, like a pro controller with good triggers, that's all we need. Forget touch screens, gyro's, motion controls, fairy dust and stylus pens, it's all been done now and that era is over. (But next gen bongo's and Donkey Konga 4 I would welcome with open arms :p)

Thing is, controllers should evolve. PS4 controller is essentially the PS2 controller. Game controls haven't evolved that much in 16 years (aside from the Wii, but that has now reverted.

If there's not much change, gaming will start to stagnate even more.

The Wii U was a mis-step because they couldn't communicate it (I argue the Wii U is the greatest controller (but with flaws) in a very long time), but that doesn't mean they shouldn't try.

I also still don't get why people want a third near-identical console. That won't do well. NX HAS to be unique if it is to succeed.

Edited by Serebii

I also still don't get why people want a third near-identical console.

Easily accessible, no confusion as to what you can expect, positive past experiences (e.g. I had my greatest moments in gaming history with PS2 and PS3; so a PS4 that's basically just a more powerful version - it's so much more, but... - was just what I wanted).

A lot of my friends think the same about Xbox.

If there's not much change, gaming will start to stagnate even more.

I disagree mainly because I think gaming is stagnating.

Easily accessible, no confusion as to what you can expect, positive past experiences (e.g. I had my greatest moments in gaming history with PS2 and PS3; so a PS4 that's basically just a more powerful version - it's so much more, but... - was just what I wanted).

A lot of my friends think the same about Xbox.

I disagree mainly because I think gaming is stagnating.

As do I but I was afraid of being jumped on for saying that :p

Whoops :p I meant to say gaming isn't stagnating, of course:D If anyone says otherwise they will get jumped on for doing so.

Controllers need to evolve functionally where needed while still keeping most of the things that worked along the way that people came to like. In the case of the PS4 pad, it took on changes that were needed and requested by PS3 users (changes to the sticks, triggers) and had some additions like the touch pad and share button (used a lot by many). Controllers don't need to change for the sake of change, or to have a gimmick. Nintendo thought they did because of the success of the Wii. But as time has revealed, the Wii motion control remote was interesting at the time but ultimately not much more than a fad. A lot of people don't want it anymore and it has lost nearly all of the popularity it once had. Contrast this to many of the buttons or features of standard pads which have been retained generation after generation; these were not fads and have stood the test of time.

Of course, gaming will never stagnate even if the exact same controller was used each generation. What matters is the software. As long as new and thoughtful ideas surface we can't say that gaming is stagnating due to controllers staying the same.