NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

I still don't think we'll see streetpassing on phones. The whole idea of streetpass was so that people would take their systems with them everywhere and play them in public. If you could streetpass on your phone some people wouldn't bother taking the console with them.

Whereas I agree with this point completely, I would like to see Streetpassing on mobile because I don't taken 3DS anywhere anyway as I don't think it's portable enough (not a nice enough fit for the pocket, it's just a little too big).

I still don't think we'll see streetpassing on phones. The whole idea of streetpass was so that people would take their systems with them everywhere and play them in public. If you could streetpass on your phone some people wouldn't bother taking the console with them.

Exactly. Adding streetpass to mobile would be a bad move.

I think it would be good if play coins had slightly more value than they do now, maybe some kind of small discount in the eShop, free plays in the badge arcade or free themes. That would encourage people even more to to take the console with them.

Maybe some kind of Streetpass-lite kind of thing for mobiles. Say for every ten passes you get on a mobile you'd get 1 normal reward (puzzle piece etc).

Difficult to keep track of what's been said in this thread, so apologies if this has been mentioned earlier. Stumbled across some old info which may shed some light on the no disk drive patent we saw some time back.

Way back in 2008 seems that Nintendo entered a joint reseach agreement with a company called iPhase and applied for patent covering hologram storage. Hologram Storage cards were said to be cheap, super cheap, and capable of holding vast amounts of data;; nearly a decade ago it was expoected that Holographic storage cards - about the size of a credit card - could hold 30Gb whilst having a read speeed 3x that of bluray. Specifications will doubtless have improved since then. The hold back - again, a decade ago - was the expensive readers. Perfectly feasible to consider these readers can be produced at cost comparable to a BD drive nowadays.

One of the arguments against a hybrid console has been the type of storage Nintendo would use; here's a possibility - holographic cards. Has the portability required for a handheld but a decent amount of data can be held. It's protectable, should vastly reduce piracy.

Bit of info here:

http://mobile.eweek.com/c/a/Data-Storage/Nintendo-Reviving-Holographic-Storage

Problem is what will the 3rd parties do? It's like we're back in the 90s again with cartridges v CD. Surely 3rd parties don't want to fork out more money (considering their margins) porting games to special cards when everyone else uses blu ray.

I'm all for cartridges for NX.. BRING IT ON :grin:

With the relative price of storage these days, I can definitely can see (and hope that) they go down this route. Nintendo has a history of being against loading screens, why not?

With the relative price of storage these days, I can definitely can see (and hope that) they go down this route. Nintendo has a history of being against loading screens, why not?

For the reason that Blade stated. They would potentially be once again adding another barrier for 3rd parties when it comes to port games over.

Third parties were fine with putting their games on DS cartridges. If they're readily available then why not. Cutting out loading times would be a huge benefit. It would also fit in with the whole 'play the same game at home or on the go' gimmick that's been rumoured.

Third parties were fine with putting their games on DS cartridges. If they're readily available then why not. Cutting out loading times would be a huge benefit. It would also fit in with the whole 'play the same game at home or on the go' gimmick that's been rumoured.

DS games were sold at £30 compared with the £40 of HD console games, despite being much cheaper to make. SD cards are (and were) extremely prolific and as a result didn't cost much. Handhelds were also very much still in and Nintendo produced a blinder with the DS. Combining all these factors, it is hard to see an anywhere near similar result happening this time round using hologram cards.

Edited by Sheikah

Nintendo NX has to be a Handheld aswell because if it's not then there will be no more Pokemon games:cry:

It also reduces the price of the console (no expensive fan, fan parts, licening etc. and being it's usually gradual heat damage that damages a console that equals less future replacement consoles) either for the consumer or N's profit margin, or to boost the console's spec with the price dif. Given proper compression techniques (which I've heard many of those huuuuuuuge modern games no longer use anymore because they don't need to) most games could fit high capacity cards. People say MORE EXPENSIVE, but with obvious benefits does anyone really give a shit about costing a few pounds more? Assuming they even would cost more due to Nintendo getting them at bulk cost, with no doubt some sort of deal, or even fronting production themselves. You'd think Nintendo would have at least thought about this and can't use the "ignorant fans think cards are backwards tech and kiddy compared to discs so we better not use them or they'll think it's an N64 repeat" laugh like you get on most topics that mention this.

Edit: heck can't they even use tech boosting chips added to them like back in the day?

Edited by Mr_Master_X2

It depends if they can get their huge console games on a cartridge without faffing about. I'm all for no loading times but not at the expense of annoying 3rd parties.

It's not the cost to the consumer i'm concerned abou but the costs to 3rd parties porting their games over. If it is too much effort and the NX isn't doint PS4 numbers then I can see them not bothering.

If the console architechture is similar, I reckon 3rd Parties would port even if the NX didn't use discs.

The problem is the cost of porting the games, not the format they use and the extra production costs there... especially if it's one cartridge works on home console and portable.

Yeah, I would have thought that the cost difference between cart and disk is much lower these days and if Nintendo really wanted to (*), they could cover the difference in the licence fee. The bigger cost now is dev time as @kav82 points out.

(* That is perhaps, a big if)

It's not just dev time, it's the costs of the port itself. If the hardware is bastly different from the other consoles then devs will have to fork out money for another team to do the porting as well as retooling etc... that's the bigger cost.

The cost of the media used is really of no concern to a publisher. The amount paid per unit is made up of multiple things, of which the actual physical manufacturing of the game is a small proportion. Nintendo could use the cheapest thing going, but if they choose to charge a lot for it you're still in the same position. The far bigger problem is actually manufacturing capacity. The infrastructure is in place to create disc based stuff at an incredible rate, but when you start needing to do new and untested things you quite often find yourself with manufacturing issues that create all sorts of problems in the supply chain.

As kav82 pointed out, the cost of porting the code for vastly different hardware architecture is in fact the biggest barrier to developers coming on board with new systems.

Grain of salt

CZK7oYAWAAEBrhh.png:large

GFK are a known client of Nintendo. Could easily be fake. Came from Tamaki.

I'm onboard with all except the 900p. lolwhat

That said, a lot of XBO and even some PS4 games render at 900p so not that much of a stretch, could just be honesty

Edited by Serebii

900p to get a consistent resolution between handheld and console? Could be...

900p to get a consistent resolution between handheld and console? Could be...

Lol, what? 540p and 1080p would make for simpler scaling. I can't imagine them holding back on 1080p given that there are already a couple of Wii U games that output at 1080p native.

Edit. I hope Wiimote capatability is for VC only. I want them to believe in their new controller and make it their main control mechanism. Full analogue control in their games would be much appreciated!

Edited by Goron_3

900p locked would be ridiculous.

Sensor bar yuck. That would mean backwards compability and still a Nintendo console supporting Wiimotes.

No more Wii!!!