NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

It's obviously the Nintendo Xtreme.

It'll stream games to wherever you are.

For me the idea of these Super Editions of Smash and Mario Kart, what about all us who bought all the stuff not he wii u which got abandoned super early?!?!

For me the idea of these Super Editions of Smash and Mario Kart, what about all us who bought all the stuff not he wii u which got abandoned super early?!?!

If this happened, what I think Nintendo should do is make it so that the online could be cross platform. So those playing the WiiU versions online could race/fight against those playing the NX versions.

How would they be abandoning you? You've already got the full Wii U games, play them for as long as you want!

How would they be abandoning you? You've already got the full Wii U games, play them for as long as you want!

A console tends to have a 5 year active lifespan where it gets a reasonable amount of games each year. Wii U has had about 3 years with a passable amount of new games each year.

Buying a Wii U for £300 to have current tech for 6 years = £50 a year.

Buying it at the same price for less time diminishes it's value. I think it is reasonable to expect at least a 5 year lifespan:

PS3: 7 years

X360: 8 years

Wii : 6 years

November 2018 is what you would expect looking at last gen, not November 2016. If the Wii U comes out next year a £50 yearly investment becomes a £75 yearly investment... maybe not a huge amount, but that's about a game a year. Although I suppose the games need to exist to be bought :heh:

I appreciate all that. I mistakenly read it as MK8 and Smash support was being taken away.

I think four years is just barely acceptable for a failed console.

Assuming the NX is a new home console.

I wonder if they'll do a Twilight Princess with the next Zelda and have it as the last game on the Wii U and the first game on the NX. Twilight Princess must have been a bit of a boon to the Wii's release day. Who bought a Wii on release and didn't pick it up?

Assuming the NX is a new home console.

I wonder if they'll do a Twilight Princess with the next Zelda and have it as the last game on the Wii U and the first game on the NX. Twilight Princess must have been a bit of a boon to the Wii's release day. Who bought a Wii on release and didn't pick it up?

Me. I had the 'cube version. :D

Zelda at launch and then a big Mario game 6 months or so later would be a pretty safe bet I'd say.

It all depends how they're going to handle NX launch and what NX actually is.

I am still of the belief that NX is the architecture/OS across multiple platforms which may share games if the developers wish, but does not have to, due to Iwata essentially saying that. So, my theory is NX Handheld 2016, NX Console 2017.

As such, Mario is far more likely for NX Handheld launch, whereas Zelda will be Wii U in 2016 still, or launch of NX Console in 2017

I'm sure NX is a unified architecture/OS as well, I just think even though the 3DS badly needs replacing from a hardware point of view, they really need to get a new console out ASAP and try and milk as much as they can from this gen as possible.

I think home console autumn 2016, handheld the following year. The 3DS has a 50 million install base out there, would be silly to give that up so quickly and their E3 showing was so light on new Wii U games it must mean a new console will be sooner rather than later.

I feel the 3DS has more to give than the WiiU does. I think mainly because it's competition isn't really doing anything and it's still selling ok.

As a handheld experience, the 3DS is best effectively, it's getting good games and good support, whereas the WiiU is anything but the best experience for a home console.

Saying the NX is the architecture or whatever is, I don't know, they've said 100% that's what's happening, so it's not like it's a prediction, it's a fact. I think the question is, what is getting announced first - is it a handheld, is it a home console, is it a hybrid.

I want a handheld and a home console separate, still think it'll be a hybrid, though the DQXI news has certainly made things a bit more interesting. Though if it is one, I'd prefer it to be the home console, but the 3DS is pretty old now, so.... Roll on next year!!

maybe it'll be similar to Wii U, but the gamepad is capable of playing games on it's own, so it's a handheld console and a controller for the home console. Problem with that for game publishers is that they only get to sell the game once, whereas currently they can sell a Wii U and a 3DS version

The N stands for NO and the X stands for Cross Platform Games :-(

No X-platform. ?

LOWLZ

Aca-awkward.

Well this is interesting...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1099932

Looks like Nintendo have filed a patent for a stationary console that features not an optical drive, but a memory card slot instead!

Going back to carts? Looks like they're considering it!

Well if they're looking to have 8GB+ of RAM, they're gonna need some sort of solution for the hideously long loading times that you'd have with just running straight from disc. Wii U already has near enough the fastest BD Drive you can get, so the only possible way of speeding up the loading times while still using optical storage would be to do what Sony and MS do and force the player to install the game data to internal storage; which is the kind of thing that they wouldn't want to do, it's not their style at all...

Not to mention that if this architecture is shared between handheld and console, it stands to reason that they might want to make use of a unified storage format...

Interesting to think about!

Edit: It also mentions the controller as having a built in screen!

Edited by Dcubed

A memory card slot would certainly make it easier to play the same game on a handheld.......

A memory card slot would certainly make it easier to play the same game on a handheld.......

It certainly would! While I'm sure it wouldn't be standard across the board due to differences in controls and specs, there will no doubt be plenty of games like Mario Kart NX, Smash Bros for NX or Monster Hunter 5 where a multiplatform release would be a no brainer; and what easier way to make it work than by having the same cartridge work on both machines?

More interestingly though, it would imply that it's only going to have BC with digital Wii U games and not physical retail ones... That's gonna piss a good few people off... (not me though, since I have all my retail games bought in digital form anyway ;) )

Edited by Dcubed

Dear lord I hope it's not another controller with a screen.

I hope it is. The GamePad is amazing even in its most mundane use.

Just needs to be optional

It certainly would! While I'm sure it wouldn't be standard across the board due to differences in controls and specs, there will no doubt be plenty of games like Mario Kart NX, Smash Bros for NX or Monster Hunter 5 where a multiplatform release would be a no brainer; and what easier way to make it work than by having the same cartridge work on both machines?

I really like the idea of this - not only going back to cartridges, but being able to slot the same one into either machine.

This is what I was trying describe a few pages back - a handheld that could run a game, but a console that could extract more data from the same source, and thus run it better.

I hope it is. The GamePad is amazing even in its most mundane use.

Just needs to be optional

It has some nice uses, but I'm over it personally.

I really like the idea of this - not only going back to cartridges, but being able to slot the same one into either machine.

This is what I was trying describe a few pages back - a handheld that could run a game, but a console that could extract more data from the same source, and thus run it better.

That's what I expect it'll be able to do, but it won't be standard across the board. Though the console will be a turbo charged version of the handheld in terms of CPU/GPU specs etc, it'll still be a different piece of hardware with different controls; so it'll still get unique games that can't be replicated on the handheld and vice versa (you certainly wouldn't be able to replicate something like Wii Party U, Nintendo Land or Splatoon as they are on a handheld because of the unique controls/screen setup they use for instance).

Games like Smash, Monster Hunter or Mario Kart though I would absolutely expect to be playable on both though; just with the visuals pared back on the handheld to match its specs.

I'd be pretty chuffed to see them go back to carts though; faster loading times, better portability and better physical durability FTW! :D From a cost perspective it's probably pretty feasible as well; SD Card style flash storage is stupid cheap now and prices are only dropping further over time. I could see them offering cards up to 64GB of storage for this thing pretty easily (and they also have the option of increasing it over time; which is good when they are looking to stick with this format and hardware architecture for their long term future).

Edited by Dcubed