NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Of course we don't, but if they tried matching the specs

of the other two they'd have to incur losses if they wanted to sell at a competitive price. It'd hurt them more, too, because they don't have other departments profit to prop them up like the others. It might "just" be feasible if component prices are down enough, but it still leaves them at the point where most have already made their "multiplat console of choice" this gen, and they chose the ones that aren't Nintendo...because they currently don't offer their multiplat needs.

Looking at the Gamecube I don't buy this. Nintendo had I think the best games console that gen, scuppered by proprietary discs, lack of internet and weak storage. But aside from those, the data processing side was phenomenal, all done for an awesome price. If Nintendo had applied that same approach to the Wii, and then the Wii U I think things would be very different now (in a positive way)

Nintendo will get into mobile market which should make them a lot of money, plus they went into diagnostic business were they said it would give them big money, so that could cover some losses.

When it comes to Sony, the PS is one of few businesses that makes money for them, so it's not like they can afford losses as they don't really have other departments to cover them.

Looking at the Gamecube I don't buy this. Nintendo had I think the best games console that gen, scuppered by proprietary discs, lack of internet and weak storage. But aside from those, the data processing side was phenomenal, all done for an awesome price. If Nintendo had applied that same approach to the Wii, and then the Wii U I think things would be very different now (in a positive way)

Agreed, I thought the CUBE was a phenomenal machine. It had everything going for it. But like you state, they always miss something.

I think, no matter what direction they head in, they need a checklist to make sure they've got all the bases covered that other consoles have covered.

They can't really do anything about the starting late thing, though. The only way they can turn that around is if they turn it into a positive thing i.e. use the time that's passed to acquire components cheaper (because they'll be cheaper) and make a slightly more powerful console than the others. They'd have to eat losses for a while, but whether they tank or not is whether fans jump for it or not. Which is unpredictable (which is why they're unlikely to go this route).

Even if they did get a slightly more powerful than the competition's machine, the only way it would advantage them is if devs based the "main" version of multiplats on the NX dev and go from there with making the other versions, which with the distrust/hate for Nintendo I can't see them doing.

Though with the supposed fusion or cross-platform OS, I think they're trying to give third parties a wider base for their games, so that if they release on Nintendo there's more options, more chance for profit.

So, just to mix it up a bit, how do people think Iwata's passing is going to affect the NX? Will a new captain look to turn the ship at this juncture? Do we think the process will be accelerated or slowed?

in terms of release date maybe it could be affected. In terms of the overall design I can't see a huge amount happening to the chipset, nor the overall ethos.

For example, given the Wii and Wii U I would say the controller would have stuck regardless, power could have been changed but not by a huge margin.

O/S probably more flexible, but again, nothing super drastic (unless release date is changed).

Marketing, 3rd party relations, first party offerings etc could maybe see more drastic changes, but again not a big change in the launch window or early life of the console.

So, just to mix it up a bit, how do people think Iwata's passing is going to affect the NX? Will a new captain look to turn the ship at this juncture? Do we think the process will be accelerated or slowed?

I don't think much will change in that regard. They already have a clear idea of what they're aiming for with the NX platforms and software development for the first one has already started now.

One thing you have to remember about Iwata's tenure is that he really managed to unite virtually everyone at Nintendo under the one overall vision; despite initial trepidation with the DS/Wii. There really wasn't much discontent about how he went about things at all, so everyone currently working on the NX project will have shared in Iwata's vision, will have a clear idea of what the project aims to achieve and what they want to do with it already at this point.

It will go exactly as planned :)

There is absolutely no way you can say this.

No project in the history of ever has ever gone "exactly as planned".

yeah... to what Ashley said.

Can you please clarify how it is you have such depth of insight into Nintendo HQ? Or are you just making a wild guess but wording it in a way as if you do?

yeah... to what Ashley said.

Can you please clarify how it is you have such depth of insight into Nintendo HQ? Or are you just making a wild guess but wording it in a way as if you do?

They said so. They said they will continue forward with what Iwata has done.

Agreed, I thought the CUBE was a phenomenal machine. It had everything going for it. But like you state, they always miss something.

I think, no matter what direction they head in, they need a checklist to make sure they've got all the bases covered that other consoles have covered.

They can't really do anything about the starting late thing, though. The only way they can turn that around is if they turn it into a positive thing i.e. use the time that's passed to acquire components cheaper (because they'll be cheaper) and make a slightly more powerful console than the others. They'd have to eat losses for a while, but whether they tank or not is whether fans jump for it or not. Which is unpredictable (which is why they're unlikely to go this route).

Even if they did get a slightly more powerful than the competition's machine, the only way it would advantage them is if devs based the "main" version of multiplats on the NX dev and go from there with making the other versions, which with the distrust/hate for Nintendo I can't see them doing.

Though with the supposed fusion or cross-platform OS, I think they're trying to give third parties a wider base for their games, so that if they release on Nintendo there's more options, more chance for profit.

Its very hard for them to compete with PS4 anyhow. Not worth thinking about. Even MS are in an incredibly bad position. MS in comparsion are happy to make a loss for some UK and US presence(Nintendo arent). Surface is outperforming xbox in the same division now.

There is demand for an alternative to the PS4 but people dont see The Xbone and WiiU as those. So hopefully nintendo tread carefully with their vision. I would like next gen stuff but I am sure they know best. I'll grab a WiiU at some point when its not a total accessories mess or ripoff or something. they have a lot of work ahead of them. A 'gimmick' might not be enough this time.

As I recall this was a vague statement covering general ethos and not necessarily any particular project.

At this point it's entirely possible a new CEO will take a different route, we just do not know and there is no way of telling.

Ah ok, thanks. : peace:

There's a significant difference between continuing with the current plan and everything going "exactly as planned".

Nintendo really needs to get the localised version out for the NX launch.

DRAGON QUEST XI THE FIRST GAME CONFIRMED FOR NX

Dragon Quest X is the second game confirmed for NX!

Well NOW!! :o

Actual, legit 3rd party support before the NX even gets unveiled!? Wow! :yay:

That also begs the question... Which version is going to NX? The 3DS one? The PS4 one? Or something totally different?

Personally I'm getting on it being the PS4 version, simply because it's the type of game that could be ported very easily (and the NX project is all about developing an ecosystem that can be shared across multiple devices; a pretty standard looking, UE4 powered, RPG seems like exactly the kind of game that would be well suited for deployment across multiple form factors).

That would imply that UE4 will have native support for NX, further implying a relatively industry standard approach to software development...

Mind you though that doesn't really hint much at the hardware that'll be in the handheld/console. It could well still be Power PC based for all we know :p

Edited by Dcubed

If games are being announced for it, does that help with estimations for its release year?

Also, 3ds, ps4 and NX... to me that insinuates that the NX is indeed the Wii U successor... I have to say, I'm a little surprised by that, less so after this E3, but the 3ds just felt like it needed replacing, Perhaps Nintendo feel for now the 3ds is good enough?

2016 NX, 2018 4ds?

If games are being announced for it, does that help with estimations for its release year?

Also, 3ds, ps4 and NX... to me that insinuates that the NX is indeed the Wii U successor... I have to say, I'm a little surprised by that, less so after this E3, but the 3ds just felt like it needed replacing, Perhaps Nintendo feel for now the 3ds is good enough?

2016 NX, 2018 4ds?

NX is pretty much the codename for both the new home and handheld console.

Either they are 2 separate units or some sort of hybrid, we don't know yet but they will be running either the same artitecture or very similar.

Of course when Square said NX, they could have meant the new handheld.

SE saying NX being considered is pretty funny.

Why would you even mention a platform which has no release date, hasn't been revealed and we don't even know what it is if the game wasn't being developed for the platform.

SE didn't have to mention the NX at all and the fact they did is confirmation enough for me that the game is being released on the NX.

SE saying NX being considered is pretty funny.

Why would you even mention a platform which has no release date, hasn't been revealed and we don't even know what it is if the game wasn't being developed for the platform.

SE didn't have to mention the NX at all and the fact they did is confirmation enough for me that the game is being released on the NX.

The ninjas got to them

FFXV on NX...? NOW we'll be talking, son.

Kingdom Hearts 3 is a much more likely candidate; given that it also runs on UE4, like DQXI does.