NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

I can't fathom Nintendo releasing another underpowered console.

It would be absolute madness trying to sell a console that can't produce graphics of consoles older than the NX.

God, this industry is so obsessed with graphics. It makes me sad.

It really isn't, though. Indies wouldn't have been this successful if the industry was that obsessed with graphics.

It really isn't, though. Indies wouldn't have been this successful if the industry was that obsessed with graphics.

Indie success is nowhere near as large as general success on the platforms though. Indies are big, but they're not massive.

Indie success is nowhere near as large as general success on the platforms though. Indies are big, but they're not massive.

In total I consider them "massive".

It would be absolute madness trying to sell a console that can't produce graphics of consoles older than the NX.

I don't think you meant NX.

I don't believe there'll be a hybrid. Nintendo won't put all their eggs in one platform. That rubbish they spouted about supporting the Wii U and the 3DS after the NX launches is exactly that, rubbish. There'll be 2 systems. They'll share the same OS, cross platform play will be possible, maybe improving how a game is played on the home console similar to how the New 3DS improves things over the regular 3DS. You'll be able to design armour(Monster Hunter) or design furniture or a village, receive mail, updates(Animal Crossing) while on the go and send it back to the home console or to a cloud service.

If the next home console doesn't at least match the PS4, I'm probably going to leave it because they're obviously still not listening and 3rd parties won't want to know about it. They should be changing their attitudes now about certain things not just waiting for the NX to launch to turn a new leaf. Improve online, put in voice chat. Show people now, not next year when it launches. Start convincing people now. And if Nintendo launch a paid online service, oh boy, good luck with that after their track record.

This is all on Nintendo's shoulders. Things didn't have to be like this but years of bad management has brought them to this point and it's a mountain they have to climb.

Once again people are talking like more power only equals better graphics

Edited by Happenstance

Again, who is going to buy a £300 Nintendo box mid generation? Releasing that would be absolute madness at this point in time.

It would sell worse than Wii U

If they simply ditched the gamepad and brought out an overclocked Wii U, how little could they sell it for and still make a profit?

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/150508qa/02.html

Here is what Iwata has had to say on the NX.

I cannot confirm when it will be launched or any other details of the system, since I have confirmed that it will be "a dedicated video game platform with a brand new concept," it should mean that we do not intend it to become a simple "replacement" for Nintendo 3DS or Wii U.

Your question also included the "current notion of thinking about home consoles and handheld devices." When it comes to how dedicated game systems are being played, the situations have become rather different, especially between Japan and overseas. Since we are always thinking about how to create a new platform that will be accepted by as many people around the world as possible, we would like to offer to them "a dedicated video game platform with a brand new concept" by taking into consideration various factors, including the playing environments that differ by country. This is all that I can confirm today.

@Serebii

@dazzybee

Doesn't specify anything about hybrid or not, but also doesn't rule it out, because he has deliberately worded it vaguely enough that either is left open. Which is entirely the point, because they aren't interested in giving anything away yet.

Now can we stop the pointless argument?

One thing I've never really liked is the whole "dedicated gaming device" thing. It seems like it limits the appeal a bit. I get that they like to keep things pure (and probably family friendly in the process), but it does seem a bit behind the curve.

One thing I've never really liked is the whole "dedicated gaming device" thing. It seems like it limits the appeal a bit. I get that they like to keep things pure (and probably family friendly in the process), but it does seem a bit behind the curve.

I think you're reading too much into that term. Iwata only used in the context of an announcement about mobile gaming.

I think you're reading too much into that term. Iwata only used in the context of an announcement about mobile gaming.

Probably, but I remember Nintendo always being a bit behind in terms of multimedia. It may have changed in recent years though as I dont really pay as much attention to Nintendo as I used to.

I definitely think it would help if they included thinks like Bluray and Netflix etc (if they don't already on the WiiU).

Probably, but I remember Nintendo always being a bit behind in terms of multimedia. It may have changed in recent years though as I dont really pay as much attention to Nintendo as I used to.

I definitely think it would help if they included thinks like Bluray and Netflix etc (if they don't already on the WiiU).

It has Netflix but I do think it should play blu rays.

I don't remember anyone mention graphics as the most important reason for a more powerful console. Seeing as everyone here is, or at least was, a Nintendo fan I'm pretty sure you can surmise that people definitely prefer decent game mechanics over graphics.

Well duh. Of course it's not gonna compete with the PS4 in terms of hardware specs... because this first NX system is a handheld; like I've been telling you guys all along ;)

Well it better hit higher specs then the Vita...

Again, who is going to buy a £300 Nintendo box mid generation? Releasing that would be absolute madness at this point in time.

No fewer than those who would buy some cheap Nintendo box running out dated technology.

No fewer than those who would buy some cheap Nintendo box running out dated technology.

A lot fewer actually.

Casuals won't touch it, especially now that they can play 79 pence mobile gaming. Hardcore gamers already have a powerful box that gets third party games. That leaves just hardcore Nintendo fans, which is an even smaller market than the 10mil Wii U has sold. It just makes no sense.

Releasing a super cheap 'second' console with a decent gimmick that casuals, hardcore AND Nintendo fans will buy makes so much more sense.

Have you got, like, any stats or facts to back up this constant statement you keep making? Or you study/work in business or something of that like?

Releasing a super cheap 'second' console with a decent gimmick that casuals, hardcore AND Nintendo fans will buy makes so much more sense.

Thank god you aren't Iwata.

They've done this already - it was good for a quick buck - but look at the situation now... Hopefully, Nintendo have learned that focusing sales on a group of, well basically, non-gamers, aren't going to yield much of a long-term fandom... Unless all they want to make are Wii Sports and Nintendolands.

If they can barely cope with frequent release schedules on the Wii U (even though they have more than enough franchises), how do you believe they will cope with the demands (equally) of casuals and hardcore fans? They obviously can't.

I don't care about Nintendo getting sales if doesn't equal me getting what I want (good games).

I think the Wii did more harm than good for Nintendo - Its the reason why Nintendo are behind technologically and just seem out-of-date with the standards of the day (online gaming for instance).

While others were focusing on enhancing the actual gaming experience within the actual game, Nintendo were working on 'ways to play', perhaps disproportionately focusing on that as opposed to the game content (looking at Skyward Sword).

And the fact that they are not following through with the Wii motion technology just shows the conviction wasn't there.

Now they are cursed with awkward hardware releases and isolation from the main game companies. :/

Edited by King_V
Automerged Doublepost

I don't care about Nintendo getting sales if doesn't equal me getting what I want (good games).

What a great way of looking at things. You don't care if Nintendo's next console is a failure as long as you get the kind of games you want. Thank god you aren't Iwata.

Look, it's a very simple point. By all means let them try and compete with the competition in the next generation. Trying to compete now, three years in, would be suicide. I just want someone to tell me who is going to buy a £300 Nintendo box at this point in time? Barely anyone I suspect.

They fucked up with the Wii U, there's no magical cure this late in the game. Let them sell 20+ million NX's and ride the rest of the gen out.

What a great way of looking at things. You don't care if Nintendo's next console is a failure as long as you get the kind of games you want. Thank god you aren't Iwata.

Look, it's a very simple point. By all means let them try and compete with the competition in the next generation. Trying to compete now, three years in, would be suicide. I just want someone to tell me who is going to buy a £300 Nintendo box at this point in time? Barely anyone I suspect.

They fucked up with the Wii U, there's no magical cure this late in the game. Let them sell 20+ million NX's and ride the rest of the gen out.

20 million NX consoles. You seem to think the answer is go as cheap as possible banking on another gimmick to save the day.

Mid generation or not I fail to see how the Nintendo hardcore who are not satisfied with a Wii U and those ignored the Wii U are going to race out and buy the kind of console you talk about.

As for the casual. That ship sailed away from Nintendo year's ago. Give it up.

You twisted my words to try to make your point - great.

Do you believe people buy consoles for the prosperity of the games company??? You don't think people buy games and consoles because its actually what they want...?

:hmm:

Its such a hard one to figure out. If they do launch mid generation then I think it needs to be with a console that shows they mean business. They may not win a lot of gamers back with it but they need to show they are willing to compete again and get those third parties back so when they finally can launch at the same time as the PS5 etc (depending on what consoles even are by then) gamers know what they should be getting with a Nintendo console again. Either that or they should just ride out this generation with the Wii U. They wont get the third parties back with the current hardware but maybe create/buy second parties and keep the games coming until they can come back with a proper contender.

Selling 6 million powerful NX's just to make a point doesn't sound like a great strategy to me. It'd push Nintendo even more out of the picture in the industry's mind.

20 million NX consoles. You seem to think the answer is go as cheap as possible banking on another gimmick to save the day.

Mid generation or not I fail to see how the Nintendo hardcore who are not satisfied with a Wii U and those ignored the Wii U are going to race out and buy the kind of console you talk about.

Who's going to buy a super powerful Nintendo console then three years into this gen? Still waiting for an answer.

Far better to sell a cheap £99 Wii U-like system that hardcore gamers can pick up as a second console to their PS4/XBO, maybe rope in a few casuals tempted by the low price AND get the usual Nintendo fanbase on board. And if you can also take those NX games on the go and carry on playing the same game on a new handheld, that would be a pretty good USP.

You twisted my words to try to make your point - great.

Do you believe people buy consoles for the prosperity of the games company??? You don't think people buy games and consoles because its actually what they want...?

:hmm:

I didn't twist your words. You've just reiterated the same point I was making.

Of course people don't buy consoles and games for the prosperity of the company. The entire point of this recent discussion we were having was discussing what would be best for NINTENDO as a company, so they can get the most out of this gen.

Edited by Ronnie
Automerged Doublepost

Who's going to buy a super powerful Nintendo console then three years into this gen? Still waiting for an answer.

Far better to sell a cheap £99 Wii U-like system that hardcore gamers can pick up as a second console to their PS4/XBO, maybe rope in a few casuals tempted by the low price AND get the usual Nintendo fanbase on board. And if you can also take those NX games on the go and carry on playing the same game on a new handheld, that would be a pretty good USP.

Might as well stick with the Wii U, give it a price cut, ride out the generation. Bring out a new handheld based on Wii U/next home console architecture.