NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

I love rumour season :) I just don't like when people take rumours as facts which I've been seeing happen a lot over the last few weeks regarding the NX. Not here, but in general around the net

If true, it's not that far out of the realms of possibility but I was hoping for a little more grunt to the console. However, Nintendo needs to make sure it's affordable and going for a lot of grunt is a bit against that.

I love rumour season :) I just don't like when people take rumours as facts which I've been seeing happen a lot over the last few weeks regarding the NX. Not here, but in general around the net

If true, it's not that far out of the realms of possibility but I was hoping for a little more grunt to the console. However, Nintendo needs to make sure it's affordable and going for a lot of grunt is a bit against that.

My issue with this strategy is that it didn't work out well for the Gamecube. It was much cheaper than its competitors yet sold horribly.

Another thing is that the PS4 is hardly a beast. It's made with off the shelf parts and by the time the NX arrives these components will be even cheaper. The PS4 was profitable very early on.

We all know that if there's one out there that knows how to make good looking games with less powerful consoles it's Nintendo.

However, I would still love to see a power level over 9000 similar to the XboxOne/PS4 as more power also means more possibilities for Gameplay and I really want to see what Nintendo is capable to do with that.

To be fair, the power thing doesn't bother me. I have another console for 3rd party support and Nintendo games look more than fine on Wii U hardware. What I will be watching closely are any rumours about their online ideas. I'm honestly not sure I can put up with another shoddy online setup from them. They've had far too many chances now to get it right.

The Gamecube was hardly wimpy either, it didn't look the business but it's insides were pretty good, it only really lacked internet connectivity and internal storage. The discs were a bit too small too, but the actual game running hardware was good.

Since the Wii that's not been true. If that rumour is true I do hope this is a "third pillar"... what was that health stuff Nintendo were talking about a while ago? with a sleep monitor etc. Maybe that is the NX, a range of lifestyle hardware which all connect together... In which case it really wouldn't need to be on PS4 scale. And it could be announced and released in a very short window :D The rumours are all true! :D

To be fair, the power thing doesn't bother me. I have another console for 3rd party support and Nintendo games look more than fine on Wii U hardware. What I will be watching closely are any rumours about their online ideas. I'm honestly not sure I can put up with another shoddy online setup from them. They've had far too many chances now to get it right.

Well they're working with DeNA on that now, so I have faith they're actually going to sort it out :)

The Gamecube was hardly wimpy either, it didn't look the business but it's insides were pretty good, it only really lacked internet connectivity and internal storage. The discs were a bit too small too, but the actual game running hardware was good.

Since the Wii that's not been true. If that rumour is true I do hope this is a "third pillar"... what was that health stuff Nintendo were talking about a while ago? with a sleep monitor etc. Maybe that is the NX, a range of lifestyle hardware which all connect together... In which case it really wouldn't need to be on PS4 scale. And it could be announced and released in a very short window :D The rumours are all true! :D

Na, they've specified that QoL is completely separate to NX and that NX is a dedicated gaming device.

This confirms to be me even more that NX is a Wii u handheld that plugs into the tele (still waiting for that quote @Serebii).

If NX is a home console that isn't very powerful, why would people who didn't buy the Wii u buy it? Doesn't make any sense.

This confirms to be me even more that NX is a Wii u handheld that plugs into the tele (still waiting for that quote @Serebii).

If NX is a home console that isn't very powerful, why would people who didn't buy the Wii u buy it? Doesn't make any sense.

Just look at all the investor meetings over the last year. Iwata has said it in every one

Dazzy, having it plug into the tv involves extra hardware (and cost).

I think if it interfaces with the tv it is more likely to do so via a Wii U or the next Nintendo home console.

But I definitely agree, if it isn't PS4 power I don't see how it's going to be a new home console. Even if it adds a gimmick so in practice it ends up weaker than the PS4, it needs to on paper be equivalent to PS4/X1 specs.

So my hopes are set on a new handheld. It may double up as that second gamepad.. I quite like the idea of them having mk8 run on both NX and Wii U in a cross between online and local multiplayer... If the TV shows the 4th screen when you have 3 player mk, while the game pad and NX show the individuals screen. It would make local a bit fairer, I know when I am playing local I have the advantage of seeing what my opponent is doing and using that to cheat and use my items accordingly!

also having multiple players playing splatoon online.. so you can have a whole team of 4... or even 8 if you have enough NX's.

Assuming it is another underpowered home console, I'm not looking forward to seeing what gimmick they come up with this time to set it apart.

Assuming it is another underpowered home console, I'm not looking forward to seeing what gimmick they come up with this time to set it apart.

I am looking forward to seeing what 'gimmick' they come up with :heh:

It comes with a...

41M5PPCVQBL.jpg

...because it'll leave you deflated.

:heh:

Edit: That's of course if some of those awful rumours about the NX are true.

Just look at all the investor meetings over the last year. Iwata has said it in every one

You pull quotes to support your case all the time, the fact you haven't shows there is no quote. I can't find one. I've never remembered one. It doesn't exist.

But the good thing about portables with small screens is resolution doesn't have to be increased much at all to get the PQ all crisp/smooth and beatiful. As long as Nintendo increases it a decent fraction (full HD isn't even neccessary) we should get an excellent PQ next handheld.

Very true. I thought the 3DS had amazing graphics when it launched. Four years later and playing on an XL, it feels completely different. As @liger05 says, something at least 540p, IPS screen and better than Vita would be great. Personally I think it might be 480p and slightly less powerful than Vita, but I'm sure it'll look crisp.

I want a new Nintendo R&D team that's fully focused on new VC games. Games built with SNES/NES etc. engines but upscaled to HD. Like we got with Megaman 9/10. We'd have to get both 3DS/Wii U release to maximise sales, though.

This would be brilliant - "Nintendo Sprite Division", I've always called it - a studio devoted to pixel art. It's the best way to keep the 2D Metroids and Zeldas going, in my opinion, rather than the textured polygons of 2.5D.

I love rumour season :) I just don't like when people take rumours as facts which I've been seeing happen a lot over the last few weeks regarding the NX. Not here, but in general around the net.

There comes a point though where people don't see the writing on the wall. I remember all the credible rumours that Wii U was going to be Xbox 360/PS3-level and have a slow CPU, but many wouldn't accept it.

There comes a point though where people don't see the writing on the wall. I remember all the credible rumours that Wii U was going to be Xbox 360/PS3-level and have a slow CPU, but many wouldn't accept it.

I wasn't really around back then.. I think coming from the Wii it seemed far more credible though, with the weakness and good sales of the Wii.

With the Wii U the weak sales need to be corrected somehow.

Nintendo do seem to blame it all on the gamepad.

That could be a worrying sign... but tbh I would have hoped that the next home console would at least reach PS4 levels. that rumour to me says it won't be. If that is the case I may be skipping the next gen (unless the next gimmick turns out to be super amazing... but I am sceptical on that)

You pull quotes to support your case all the time, the fact you haven't shows there is no quote. I can't find one. I've never remembered one. It doesn't exist.

Because you'll just say "He never said the words "no hybrid"" despite him describing the different plan :/

I wasn't really around back then.. I think coming from the Wii it seemed far more credible though, with the weakness and good sales of the Wii.

With the Wii U the weak sales need to be corrected somehow.

Nintendo do seem to blame it all on the gamepad.

That could be a worrying sign... but tbh I would have hoped that the next home console would at least reach PS4 levels. that rumour to me says it won't be. If that is the case I may be skipping the next gen (unless the next gimmick turns out to be super amazing... but I am sceptical on that)

Generations are always a thorny issue on Nintendo boards and can cause the most furious arguments. What I will say about this though is that I've accepted Nintendo's next console won't match the PS4. I think Nintendo have decided to set themselves apart and aren't measuring it against existing consoles, or indeed the PlayStation 5/Xbox 4. In other words, I think it will be neither Late Current Gen or Early Next Gen.

All signs point to them setting up their own eco system, and seeing whether they can make a success of it when they have all their development teams supporting the same platform. To this end, their consoles may well be just incremental improvements from now on, using Wii U as a starting base.

It's not my ideal scenario, but at least they might find a steady success going forward.

Because you'll just say "He never said the words "no hybrid"" despite him describing the different plan :/

No I won't. This shows to me he never described a hybrid and you know it. Otherwise the quote would be out.

No I won't. This shows to me he never described a hybrid and you know it. Otherwise the quote would be out.

I have been trying to find the specific one which references hybrids. I'm certain it exists, but he has mentioned the plan that isn't hybrids numerous times so even with that, why assume it's a hybrid?

What happens when your console fails because of a tablet? Why you make 2 tablets for the sequel of course. But this time make the second tablet more powerful. What a lethal combination that'd be and one hell of a trip to your grave.

hero-3.jpg

+

Yellow-Nintendo-Pill.jpg

I have been trying to find the specific one which references hybrids. I'm certain it exists, but he has mentioned the plan that isn't hybrids numerous times so even with that, why assume it's a hybrid?

He hasn't mentioned hybrids. So he hasn't denied it. Which you said he did. All he talked about was an eco system, and referenced iOS and android. But this could mean mobile and the nx, doesn't mean nx isn't a hybrid in any way shape or form.

He hasn't mentioned hybrids. So he hasn't denied it. Which you said he did. All he talked about was an eco system, and referenced iOS and android. But this could mean mobile and the nx, doesn't mean nx isn't a hybrid in any way shape or form.

He referenced iOS and Android in giving a comparison to the relationship of the upcoming handheld and home console, saying they'd be like brothers. That implies no hybrid, even if he didn't say it outright (which I am pretty sure he has)

I can't fathom Nintendo releasing another underpowered console.

It would be absolute madness trying to sell a console that can't produce graphics of consoles older than the NX.

Well duh. Of course it's not gonna compete with the PS4 in terms of hardware specs... because this first NX system is a handheld; like I've been telling you guys all along ;)