NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Regarding your concern about what will happen to Wii U or what will happen to Nintendo 3DS, NX is a new platform, so the installed base will have to be built up from zero. When NX is launched, there already will be a certain volume of Nintendo 3DS and Wii U hardware widely existing in the market, so from a software business perspective, it would be highly inefficient to stop releasing titles for Nintendo 3DS or Wii U right after the launch of NX. Therefore, while we are preparing NX for the future, we are discussing within our internal development teams as well as with the second-party developers we co-develop software with and also with third-party software publishers about how to continue creating software for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS. So, I believe that your point of concern should not happen immediately. As for Wii U, we will continue to make efforts, as it is a priority within the company to think about how we can satisfy the consumers who purchased this system to the maximum extent possible.

Sounds to me like that means there will be Twilight Princess-esque cross platform stuff at first, which just further fuels the fires about Zelda WiiU moving to NX.

Personally don't think it's a hybrid but for arguments sake gonna ask this question.

If you believe it is a hybrid how big is this console gonna be. I mean are we saying its gonna be like the gampad as if that's the case then sorry guys that isn't a handheld console when away from home. Why would I wanna carry something that big around with me.

Anything bigger then 3DS XL/Vita and your seriously struggling for it to be a handheld machine.

At the same time if it isn't a hybrid and the NX is a home console then I am struggling to see when Nintendo will release a new handheld.

Can anyone see the 3DS lasting another 2/3 years?

Edited by khilafah

Here's one possibility (and I apologise if this has already been said):

NX is a handheld, less powerful than Wii U, but similar graphics considering the lower resolution. It may not actually be able to run Wii U games, but can play anything that takes the NX into account (eg. I assume the new Zelda).

Then there is a completely optional Upscaler Unit. This runs anything on the NX, but increases the resolution, framerate and possibly even things like polygon count. This way, NX would not technically be a hybrid - just a normal handheld that can be improved upon.

I do realise I'm probably just repeating the Fusion rumour, but it makes a fair bit of sense to me. It would also explain these factors:

1) 3DS needs replacing

2) It's too early for a true next-gen console

3) Seemingly no big games in the planning as Wii U exclusives (eg. Metroid Prime 4)

Nintendo could make use of any software they have in development, yet not be rushed to replace Wii U with a true console.

So a base unit so to speak that connects to a tv and boosts the graphics?

Thing is the wifi between handheld and console would either have to be insanely stable or the console base unit would need to duplicate the handheld plus a bit of extra beef.

Added resolution needs either new data (so the game again) or just upscaled (which I understand is done rather poorly by the Wii U with Wii games.. although I may be mistaken on that point)

Added polygons certainly would require additional game data...

maybe I just misunderstood that post though...

So a base unit so to speak that connects to a tv and boosts the graphics?

Thing is the wifi between handheld and console would either have to be insanely stable or the console base unit would need to duplicate the handheld plus a bit of extra beef.

True, but it could be a wired connection. Plus, the handheld wouldn't necessarily be the controller.

Added resolution needs either new data (so the game again) or just upscaled (which I understand is done rather poorly by the Wii U with Wii games.. although I may be mistaken on that point)

Added polygons certainly would require additional game data...

maybe I just misunderstood that post though...

All the data could be in the initial game, but the handheld deliberately runs it lower than its potential. I'm just thinking back to the early 3D games on the PC. You could be playing one version of a game with your PC's built-in graphics capabilities then, with the press of a button, could switch to the accelerated version running off a dedicated graphics card. If I recall correctly that instantly improved everything, including resolution and polygon models.

True, but it could be a wired connection. Plus, the handheld wouldn't necessarily be the controller.

All the data could be in the initial game, but the handheld deliberately runs it lower than its potential. I'm just thinking back to the early 3D games on the PC. You could be playing one version of a game with your PC's built-in graphics capabilities then, with the press of a button, could switch to the accelerated version running off a dedicated graphics card. If I recall correctly that instantly improved everything, including resolution and polygon models.

As I recall it depended on the game... say an RTS an increase in resolution just showed more of the map... racing games I think it was more often draw distance texture detail etc.

So sure, I can see that as a possibility, but I don't understand how the link to the tv would facilitate that...

As I recall it depended on the game... say an RTS an increase in resolution just showed more of the map... racing games I think it was more often draw distance texture detail etc.

So sure, I can see that as a possibility, but I don't understand how the link to the tv would facilitate that...

Because what I'm calling the Upscaler Unit would have more powerful graphics acceleration than the handheld...

but would that be physically connected? With PC's the slots were there, a physical connection that was where it needed to be. if data has to travel too large a distance then the gains from more powerful hardware begin to be negated.

Basically what you want could be comparable to like the Super Gameboy. Have your games on the go, but at home play them on the big screen, but unlike the Super Gameboy, utilize the extra hardware to scale the graphics appropriately?

gl-quake-640-480-640x353.jpg

The example of software(portable) vs hardware(console)

Personally don't think it's a hybrid but for arguments sake gonna ask this question.

If you believe it is a hybrid how big is this console gonna be. I mean are we saying its gonna be like the gampad as if that's the case then sorry guys that isn't a handheld console when away from home. Why would I wanna carry something that big around with me.

Anything bigger then 3DS XL/Vita and your seriously struggling for it to be a handheld machine.

At the same time if it isn't a hybrid and the NX is a home console then I am struggling to see when Nintendo will release a new handheld.

Can anyone see the 3DS lasting another 2/3 years?

What has the gamepad got anything to do with the NX? I think the handheld would be similar size to those devices you mention!!

The NX won't be a home console with no handheld. It will never happen. It is either a handheld, a hybrid, or a dual system handheld and home console release I reckon. Either way, a handheld is a huge part of it. It's nintendo's most successful business. It always has been.

Thing is, while I agree it is a sound strategy, it didn't work out for the Cube. That thing launched at £130 and still struggled to keep up with the competition. Even when it got dropped by retailers and they were selling it for £40-50 it didn't help.

If they do the cheap route then they need another hook/gimmick that will get the general public on board. If it's something only Nintendo fans will buy then they are going to struggle again.

Enjoyed the CUBE. Many third, second and first party titles. If it was multiplat I got the CUBE version despite having PS2/XB. Hmm...actually I think I got the XB last on the REAL cheap and pretty much played the exclusive games (Halo, Buffy, D&D Heroes plus other Diable esques etc.) So at the time what multiplat I got was a toss up between CUBE and PS2. CUBE games looked sooooo good. Not just the graphics, I'm talking about PQ. It was ahead of the others PQ wise, at least to my eyes (yes, PS2 had semi HD for some games, I'm aware). There was just something about it that made PQ "extra crisp", which made the Wii PQ exceptionally dissappointing. You can actually put certain CUBE games in the Wii and see the PQ quality compared to many Wii games. It's sad, and to be honest, I can't work out WHY this happens? Actually now that I think about it, I "think" it had something to do with it not being true widesreen and instead "stretched resolution" when in widescreen, as playing in 4: 3 makes Wii games crisp and gorgeous...though some still not as good as certain CUBE games.

Fun fact: after playing all the XB games my family wanted to we sold all our joypad/games, EXCEPT the actual console and maybe the plug/standard TV connector due to low selling costs and the astronomical P&P involved to send the console we would have been in minus money fees...the console box is now used as a doorstop. A VERY good one, too. LOL

I think Wii U should have been the console of the Wii generation. If you listen to Nintendo they'd been working on the gamepad a looooong time. Wii should have been HD with almost Wii U power, and the gamepad released as a life extender and a "play away from TV gimmick" for main games and VC. Ironically, the gamepad may have sold MORE this way as a Wii extension just from the sheer userbase of Wii. With the upcoming NX being whatever it will be.

I take it you didn't look at the previous page. :heh:

Who's to say that they won't announce it at the start of next year and have it ready for the Summer/Fall?

Iwata was hardly gonna come out and say that they are launching a new console in 2016 when he first mentioned the NX. It would kill are potential Wii U buyers interest and they are trying to get every penny out of that thing before shelving it.

Comparing what they done in the past and using that as a way of predicting what they will do with NX isn't a great way to try and see how things will play out. This isn't like launching a console because the thing has had it's time. They are having to launch in the middle of a generation.

That's the way i'm seeing it.

If it is indeed Wii U based, then any projects that were being made for the Wii U will probably be an easy switch to the new platform, so having the software ready shouldn't be an issue.

Of course, this is all speculation.

I get it from a business point of view, but as a fan I'm not sure I could support it. Right slap in the face it would be.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20150702PD204.html

Not sure about this. Firstly launching in July? When has a platform ever been released in July?

20 mil in a year seems extremely high but that number suggests the NX will be a handheld rather than a console.

The article is mostly BS. While it MAY release in 2016 Nintendo has NEVER said it is, just that they'll discuss it in 2016. So outright lie straight off.

Official translated NX questions from Shareholder meeting

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/stock/meeting/150626qa/index.html

Ahh, people were worried about third parties promising games but then not bohering, but the "joint initiatives" brings extra hope as it seems to imply they've bought rights to games/hired out.

Ahh, I figured they'd be worried about other companies pilfering ideas if they announced info too early (they USUALLY do afterall) which implies some new hardware/software feature, for definite. So it's NOT just a PS4/XO style power bump.

So, despite the "no info" they've actually given us info. LOL

Edited by Mr_Master_X2
Automerged Doublepost

I want the NX to be a home console. I feel the 3DS has more to give than the WiiU does.

Basically what you want could be comparable to like the Super Gameboy. Have your games on the go, but at home play them on the big screen, but unlike the Super Gameboy, utilize the extra hardware to scale the graphics appropriately?

gl-quake-640-480-640x353.jpg

The example of software(portable) vs hardware(console)

Yes, thank you. The days of 3Dfx and Quake are exactly what I was referring to, I just couldn't remember all the terms from back then.

I think Wii U should have been the console of the Wii generation. If you listen to Nintendo they'd been working on the gamepad a looooong time. Wii should have been HD with almost Wii U power, and the gamepad released as a life extender and a "play away from TV gimmick" for main games and VC. Ironically, the gamepad may have sold MORE this way as a Wii extension just from the sheer userbase of Wii. With the upcoming NX being whatever it will be.

That ties in with a mysterious comment by Square-Enix from before much was known about "Revolution". They said something like "Not just a console, not just a portable..." Then the Wii was released and it didn't make sense.

I want the NX to be a home console. I feel the 3DS has more to give than the WiiU does.

I completely disagree. Generally speaking there's nothing wrong with the Wii U, it's just not selling. The 3DS on the other hand is hopelessly outdated tech and desperately needs a replacement. The screen resolution in particular is just painful in this day and age.

Basically they both need replacing for different reasons.

I completely disagree. Generally speaking there's nothing wrong with the Wii U, it's just not selling. The 3DS on the other hand is hopelessly outdated tech and desperately needs a replacement. The screen resolution in particular is just painful in this day and age.

Basically they both need replacing for different reasons.

It's old tech but decent enough for a handheld in my eyes. There's nothing wrong with the WiiU's power but it's architecture is so different than the other consoles it'll never get 3rd Party support and Nintendo aren't putting out big games at a high enough rate to support it well enough.

Then there's the fact it lacks any decent social features like creating parties with your friends and party chat. It's too lacking as a home console.

If they release Zelda for Wii U, it'll probably be outstanding. If they release a new Zelda for 3DS it will be held back by the desperately old tech. That's my point, the hardware is much more of a hindrance to games on 3DS than on Wii U. As for third parties, I think that's a lost cause from now on unless Nintendo strike gold like they did with Wii.

I'd rather they focus on a home console but that's because I don't care for handheld gaming.

@Ronnie, A link Between Worlds was amazing, they can still make great Zelda's on the handheld. Also, given how it's put out OoT & MM remakes, they could still easily do a proper 3D Zelda game too.

That ties in with a mysterious comment by Square-Enix from before much was known about "Revolution". They said something like "Not just a console, not just a portable..." Then the Wii was released and it didn't make sense.

I remember Miyamoto ta'king about playing console games without a TV years and years ago. Back around the time of the Gamecube.

Can I find that article? I'll see.

There's still life left in the 3DS whilst games such as Advance Wars and Golden Sun have yet to make an appearance.

There's still life left in the 3DS whilst games such as Advance Wars and Golden Sun have yet to make an appearance.

That's because those series don't sell :p

That's because those series don't sell :p

Not did fire emblem by Nintendo's own admission and hey presto they release a new game and it sells beyond expectations.

I completely agree with @Ronnie about this. As great as the 3DS has been, it's now at the stage where future releases - Fire Emblem Fates, Tri-Force Heroes, Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam - are mainly re-using the assets from previous games. This is always the case, of course (ie. Spirit Tracks), but that's where we're at. Personally, I'm looking forward to a few more 3DS games, but I can't wait for a new handheld.

I completely agree with @Ronnie about this. As great as the 3DS has been, it's now at the stage where future releases - Fire Emblem Fates, Tri-Force Heroes, Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam - are mainly re-using the assets from previous games. This is always the case, of course (ie. Spirit Tracks), but that's where we're at. Personally, I'm looking forward to a few more 3DS games, but I can't wait for a new handheld.

Agreed. I want a new handheld before console. Need a multi functional handheld with a minimum 540p resolution ips screen and some power than the vita

Yes, thank you. The days of 3Dfx and Quake are exactly what I was referring to, I just couldn't remember all the terms from back then.

That's a good bit of tidbit.

It's old tech but decent enough for a handheld in my eyes. There's nothing wrong with the WiiU's power but it's architecture is so different than the other consoles it'll never get 3rd Party support and Nintendo aren't putting out big games at a high enough rate to support it well enough.

Then there's the fact it lacks any decent social features like creating parties with your friends and party chat. It's too lacking as a home console.

I think Ronnie is sort of right. The resolution is too low compared to the graphics they're trying to pull off, it makes some games look mega dodgy, especially if you own an XL where they become bleh. There must be SOMETHING that can be done, though, as Majora's Mask 3D PQ is super crisp and beatiful...even on an XL! I'm not sure what they did for it.

It doesn't make things unplayable, of course, still a million times better looking than a Wii upscaled on a LCD HDTV. But the good thing about portables with small screens is resolution doesn't have to be increased much at all to get the PQ all crisp/smooth and beatiful. As long as Nintendo increases it a decent fraction (full HD isn't even neccessary) we should get an excellent PQ next handheld.

@Ronnie, A link Between Worlds was amazing, they can still make great Zelda's on the handheld. Also, given how it's put out OoT & MM remakes, they could still easily do a proper 3D Zelda game too.

I want a new Nintendo R&D team that's fully focused on new VC games. Games built with SNES/NES etc. engines but upscaled to HD. Like we got with Megaman 9/10. We'd have to get both 3DS/Wii U release to maximise sales, though.