NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

The Wii U specs are good enough. Mario Kart 8 wouldn't be a better game with anything better for instance.

You're starting to sound like Charles Duell, who in 1901 apparently said; "Everything that can be invented, has been invented."

And look what's happened since then. You have no way of knowing what more powerful hardware could lead to. Just because Mario Kart 8 is very good doesn't mean we shouldn't bother increasing the power of consoles. :/

I'm not saying that at all. For this gen, the Wii U specs are fine. Would I like to see them get better over time, of course! But it's not a big deal of NX runs on Wii U insides. IMO.

You're starting to sound like Charles Duell, who in 1901 apparently said; "Everything that can be invented, has been invented."

And look what's happened since then. You have no way of knowing what more powerful hardware could lead to. Just because Mario Kart 8 is very good doesn't mean we shouldn't bother increasing the power of consoles. :/

MK8 would be even better with more powerful hardware. It would let the game run multiplayer better. It could allow one player on the TV and the other on the gamepad instead of the horrid split screen.

What about multi gamepads? Never going to happen on the Wii U because despite Nintendo's lies it just wasn't very practical unless it was a stripped back game.

Some say voicechat wasn't possible in race because the Wii U was already running at full tilt. Who knows? MK8 wouldn't need to look any better but the extra horsepower could help in other ways.

Or just loading times could be improved. Yoshi's Woolly World I noticed takes 45 seconds to load just to press the A button. Splatoon is slow though I've never timed it. But it could be argued that with improved hardware that the graphics would also improve and so loading times would stay the same.

Speaking of lies, where to begin...

Load times are thanks to reading from the game disk, not the hardware.

Voice chat has nothing to do with hardware, the suggested potential issues would be to do with people's internet connection.

The Wii U is already capable of having one driver on the gamepad, the other on the tv. They just chose to go split screen. Probably to make it fair for both players, rather than having only one person be able to look at both screens.

Voice chat has nothing to do with hardware, the suggested potential issues would be to do with people's internet connection.

I'm not so sure about this. A party chat feature on an OS level may not be possibly due to the lack of power. I know a lot of people on Gaf battered this idea around for a while.

It makes sense given that the Wii U can't even open up the home menu while playing an online game. Sure, it's speculation but it was quite an interesting read.

It makes sense given that the Wii U can't even open up the home menu while playing an online game. Sure, it's speculation but it was quite an interesting read.

I thought this was more to do with the fact that most of the time when playing online you wouldn't want to hit the home button during online play, if you were playing Splatoon say... then by the time you go back to the game you'd almost certainly have been splatted or if it was during Monster Hunter then you'd have been decimated by Alatreon. :D

It's a shame as there are many moments I would have like to have captured so it would be nice if there was a seperate, quick screen-shot function - similar to that of the PS4 - which would allow you to save online stuff to post on miiverse later perhaps. :)

Maybe it is down to power or lack of it though? It's certainly a factor though I figured that it might have been a concious decision to not allow use of the Home button online.

I'm not saying that at all. For this gen, the Wii U specs are fine. Would I like to see them get better over time, of course! But it's not a big deal of NX runs on Wii U insides. IMO.

I'm surprised you think they are fine. Only two weeks ago a game which was announced for the Wii U (Project Cars) had the developers put out a press update stating how they are struggling to get the game running to an optimum level. If the Wii U specs were closer to the competition this wouldn't of been an issue.

Who knows how many 3rd party projects were canned once developers got there hands on kits and realised the console wasn't much more powerful than a 360.

Releasing a console with similar specs to consoles released 7 years before was a first and I don't think you will see it happen again.

Releasing a console with similar specs to consoles released 7 years before was a first and I don't think you will see it happen again.

It was a second. The Wii did similar.

Load times are thanks to reading from the game disk, not the hardware.

Are you sure about those load times? Because I downloaded Donkey Kong and promptly quit playing because of the load times. No disc involved no external HD.

Video Chat does have to do with hardware. Not much, frankly I doubt the hardware is holding back the chat (it could be possible) but there is more overhead added with voice chat. Audio does get processed.

Going back a few pages (I've been away) and there was talk about Nintendo started discussing the NX with developers at E3.

They should have started talking with them before they started doing any serious work on it.

Obviously they might have talked to some, but I hope they've not made the mistake again where they think if they build it others will come. It was a costly piece of arrogance when it came to the Wii U.

Stolen from Gaf

Digitimes was a semi-regular source of supply chain news during pre-relese of PS4 and Xbone. Now they are reporting [via anonymous sources] that Foxconn is getting ready for mid-2016 manufacture of initial batch of next Nintendo console which would be slated for release shortly after. Numbers that are mentioned are VERY aggressive, which either points to very cheap priced home console or more likely a new handheld.

Japan-based Nintendo is planning to launch its next-generation games console in 2016 and has recently asked its supply chain partners to start pilot production in October, at the latest. The console will be manufactured by Foxconn Electronics (Hon Hai Precision Industry), but Pegatron Technology is aggressively trying to snatch some of the orders, according to sources familiar to the plan.

Pegatron and Foxconn both declined to comment.

Nintendo in March announced its plan of releasing Nintendo NX in 2016 and has started visiting its supply chain partners recently. The orders are expected to be finalized in February or March 2016 and mass production will start in May or June 2016, while the console's official launch may take place around July, the sources said.

Nintendo reportedly is looking to ship 20 million Nintendo NX in the first year. The shipment volume of Wii U is estimated at two million units in 2015, according to Digitimes Research.

Component suppliers such as Foxconn Technology, Macronix, PixArt Imaging, Coxon Precise Industrial, Nishoku Technology, Delta Electronics, Lingsen Precision Industries and Jentech, are also expected to land orders from Nintendo for the new console, the sources added.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20150702PD204.html

Stolen from Gaf

I'm not buying that report as legit.

That said, Nintendo are batshit crazy enough to think they'd shift 20 million in the first year

Doesn't make any sense. 20 million in a year is preposterous isn't it?! Really fearing a wii u powered handheld that can plugging the tele too (apple tv style)... mega cheap! Still don't understand why wii u owners would buy a similar powered console though... but maybe with the numbers being so low they probably don't care!!

Doesn't make any sense. 20 million in a year is preposterous isn't it?! Really fearing a wii u powered handheld that can plugging the tele too (apple tv style)... mega cheap! Still don't understand why wii u owners would buy a similar powered console though... but maybe with the numbers being so low they probably don't care!!

Iwata has outright said that a hybrid isn't the plan.

Iwata has outright said that a hybrid isn't the plan.

Has he, not sure he has, also, I don't really care even if he did, not like they're not used to lying/misleading!!

I'm sure you're going to pull a quote about how the future will use the same OS, this doesn't rule out a hybrid at all. Maybe the new handheld will plug into the tele somehow, but they still plan to release a proper home console in the future too.

Has he, not sure he has, also, I don't really care even if he did, not like they're not used to lying/misleading!!

I'm sure you're going to pull a quote about how the future will use the same OS, this doesn't rule out a hybrid at all. Maybe the new handheld will plug into the tele somehow, but they still plan to release a proper home console in the future too.

He compared the handheld and home console to be like the iPhone and iPad. Different devices with similar architecture and the same OS but do different things.

It won't be a hybrid. He has said this. Just because he has been "misleading" does not mean that this will suddenly happen. That logic is specious.

He compared the handheld and home console to be like the iPhone and iPad. Different devices with similar architecture and the same OS but do different things.

It won't be a hybrid. He has said this. Just because he has been "misleading" does not mean that this will suddenly happen. That logic is specious.

No, yours is, they also said they wouldn't release a new 3ds then announced one shortly after. I would put money on it being hybrid of sorts. Then what will you say? Like all the other many things you get completely wrong when you're so 100% certain just forget it I presume.

I don't mind that you really don't think it will be a hybrid, and you believe them, but why are you so eager to put up a brick wall to other possibilities?!

Okay, bring up the quote, what did Iwata say?

Yup, hybrid isn't happening. If anything, we might see MORE form factors that use the same OS.

Interesting news. They will definitely push something out next year, whether it's a handheld or home console, because the Wii U is dead and the 3DS just isn't doing big numbers anymore. E3 next year should be special..just 11 months away!!! Is it too early to start a hype thread?

Yup, hybrid isn't happening. If anything, we might see MORE form factors that use the same OS.

Interesting news. They will definitely push something out next year, whether it's a handheld or home console, because the Wii U is dead and the 3DS just isn't doing big numbers anymore. E3 next year should be special..just 11 months away!!! Is it too early to start a hype thread?

Never too early :D

I'm surprised people don't see a hybrid coming, seems like the obvious choice to me. They can't support two consoles effectively, handleld gaming is dying in the west, home console gaming is dying in the east. One console, does both, will get unbelievable support (imagine 3ds and wii u library combined), caters for all markets!!!

Edited by dazzybee

No, yours is, they also said they wouldn't release a new 3ds then announced one shortly after. I would put money on it being hybrid of sorts. Then what will you say? Like all the other many things you get completely wrong when you're so 100% certain just forget it I presume.

I don't mind that you really don't think it will be a hybrid, and you believe them, but why are you so eager to put up a brick wall to other possibilities?!

Okay, bring up the quote, what did Iwata say?

There's a difference between saying "No we're not doing this" to not damage sales of the product they have in place at the moment, and saying "We're not doing that but we're doing this with it" and then doing the initial thing they said wouldn't happen. If he didn't provide details on what they're doing then you may have had a point that it was possible, but the fact he said no hybrid and then explained what it would be is a massive indicator to there being no hybrid.

Never too early :D

I'm surprised people don't see a hybrid coming, seems like the obvious choice to me. They can't support two consoles effectively, handleld gaming is dying in the west, home console gaming is dying in the east. One console, does both, will get unbelievable support (imagine ads and wii u library combined), caters for all markets!!!

I've been in the hybrid camp since day 1. It just makes sense to me, for the exact same reasons you just stated. Whether it happens or not is anyone's guess.

Well I disagree that Nintendo can't support two consoles effectively. They can if they bloody space the games out.

As I have said before, from 2011 through to the end of this year, Nintendo have published 159 titles across four formats. Retail wise, it has been an average of 1 retail title a month for the Wii U and 1 retail title a month for the 3DS, too.

If they spaced them out a bit, then there wouldn't be as many issues in regards to droughts.

their handhelds have by and large been the power of a previous home console so a Wii U HD handheld seems a logical progression and if the OS is compatible they can just release the Wii U catalogue as handheld games thus launching with a load of games that not many people will have played.

As for NX, who bloody knows what they will/should do. Wii was a success despite being vastly underpowered compared to PS3/360 so maybe being too similar will actually be a hindrance, maybe Nintendo need to be the quirky second console that everybody will buy.

I have a family car and a mountain bike, i don't have a family car and a slightly smaller car for when I'm out on my own. Think I've just turned into Cantona!

Well I disagree that Nintendo can't support two consoles effectively. They can if they bloody space the games out.

As I have said before, from 2011 through to the end of this year, Nintendo have published 159 titles across four formats. Retail wise, it has been an average of 1 retail title a month for the Wii U and 1 retail title a month for the 3DS, too.

If they spaced them out a bit, then there wouldn't be as many issues in regards to droughts.

Most of them are very small games or games that don't really push consoles off the shelves. They've struggled to create enough system sellers simply because they've had to balance staff between 3DS and Wii U (particularly around 2010-2012) which has unfortunately hit them hard.

Smash is a great example - they basically coded two games from scratch.