NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

release a handheld and wait for the console. Some low spec console which only plays Nintendo games which will barely look any different to what we see on the Wii U. I don't see the appeal.

Rather that release a powerful handheld which has an HDMI port to connect to a TV.

That wouldn't be why. Nintendo follow Gunpei Yokoi's philosophy, which he set forth with the GameBoy. He called it "lateral thinking of withered technology". That basically means they think of cool ways to use older tech to make it profitable and desirable.

release a handheld and wait for the console. Some low spec console which only plays Nintendo games which will barely look any different to what we see on the Wii U. I don't see the appeal.

I'm sure there'll be an appeal, we just don't know it yet.

Again, who would buy an ultra powerful Nintendo console mid generation? It would probably sell even less than the Wii U. THAT would be a massive failure.

It's pretty sad that people prioritise power over gameplay, I suppose that's why the other consoles are more popular these days.

I don't understands the difference between your vision of the new console to what the wii u already is...

Power doesn't really matter to me as I'm not really sure I'll buy it regardless, just on how I feel about the WiiU. I'll definitely wait to hear something substantial about the NX and its games before making a decision though.

I don't understands the difference between your vision of the new console to what the wii u already is...

You won't have to pay for a game twice and you can use the same save file as on the handheld. Riveting stuff. There's nothing stopping them from doing that now on the Wii U and 3DS.

The only real benefit would be easier porting of games. That's not worth buying new machines for. There's far more important things to do. Are they going to have the same stance on voice chat? That's not a technical issue. It's a company policy.

The difference will come when they announce it. Games built around a traditional controller and the rumoured connection with a new handheld would be a couple of potential differences.

You won't have to pay for a game twice and you can use the same save file as on the handheld. Riveting stuff. There's nothing stopping them from doing that now on the Wii U and 3DS.

Facepalm.

The only real benefit would be easier porting of games. That's not worth buying new machines for. There's far more important things to do. Are they going to have the same stance on voice chat? That's not a technical issue. It's a company policy.

Why don't you wait and see what the new NX consoles have in store before tearing them apart as usual? We don't know anything about them, just a rumour about price point and technical specs.

Edited by Ronnie
Automerged Doublepost

It's pretty sad that people prioritise power over gameplay, I suppose that's why the other consoles are more popular these days.

You're really not getting why power and build is essential... It's not because we want great graphics - I'm personally content with the Wii U's graphical capability, especially in games like Pikmin 3.

But like and many have explained, power is seen as essential so it's easier to port to, especially if it's inline with Sony and Microsoft. I would say the power aspect is 80% about being receptive to third parties and multiplats and 20% the novelty of buying hi-tech equipment.

As for the 'PS4 owners won't change consoles mid gen' argument - Liger05 explained it to a t how fickle we gamers are - for me, all it took was a minute long FF7 video to start considering a PS4... Nintendo have the IP and skill to attract ANYONE to buy their stuff - they just need to put the work in.

Console - Slightly more powerful than Wii U, games run at 1080p

To display 1080p you'd need a console significantly more powerful than Wii U.

Nintendo have the IP and skill to attract ANYONE to buy their stuff

This is what saddens me.

Either Nintendo don't realize they can attract anyone to their stuff or they're just too ignorant about it....too stubborn to change. :(

For me, the next console doesn't need power. I can play multiplatform games elsewhere. I need a Nintendo console with a good first party line-up that fits my tastes and needs.

However, objectively speaking, NX needs power. Just as @King_V said:

But like and many have explained, power is seen as essential so it's easier to port to, especially if it's inline with Sony and Microsoft. I would say the power aspect is 80% about being receptive to third parties and multiplats and 20% the novelty of buying hi-tech equipment.

I take it you would be more than happy if Nintendo just released a snes with all the great games with it.

I mean who needs power right.

They're not missing much. There are very few first party NES and SNES games that remain missing from the Wii U VC lineup and N64, GBA & DS are in progress.

I still waiting for ProWrestling (NES) & Super Tennis (SNES)

Also non first party - Super Smash TV!

I take it you would be more than happy if Nintendo just released a snes with all the great games with it.

I mean who needs power right.

The Wii U specs are good enough. Mario Kart 8 wouldn't be a better game with anything better for instance.

The Wii U specs are good enough. Mario Kart 8 wouldn't be a better game with anything better for instance.

I take it you are yet to play with 3 or 4 good local players then.

It'd be better if you could create a party with a group of friends online and the join worldwide races like you could on MKWii. Why they took that option out for MK8 is beyond me.

Also, if you could chat to your friends whilst racing, it'd make it more fun as it'd be more social.

I hope the next console embraces online and that Nintendo's attitude toward it and it's social aspects becomes more open.

In regards to console power, it should be in the same ball-park as the competition but it needn't be as powerful. I agree there... but only if the architecture is similar so that 3rd Parties can port over for little cost.

I know you said people don't buy Nintendo consoles for 3rd Party games but Nintendo fans do but other consoles for them. I'd much prefer it if I'd only have to buy 1 console to play the games I want... and I reckon Nintendo want me buying only their console too as they want me on that as much as possible as opposed to playing mostly on their competition and not investing as much in their console.

It's really hard to know what Nintendo should do. I'm glad I'm not in the position to decide!

Part of me feels they should go cheap and try and capture a different audience to the rest, like they did with the Wii. You then still have the problem of little third party support, but you get the great games from Nintendo.

The other part thinks they need to take a risk and go toe-to-toe with the competition in terms of power in order to pad out the library and not have to rely on populating the release schedule on their own. They may not come out on top, but they really could make something brilliant that could satisfy a Nintendo gamer completely without having to buy a competitor's console (unless they want exclusives elsewhere, of course.) Make the best console they can.

However, if they decide to go this route, releasing a home console in the next year or two would be a bad idea, in my opinion. They'd be caught mid-generation, kinda like the Dreamcast. They'll need to ride it out a bit and wait until the other two are closer to releasing something new, to create a console that other developers want their games to be on.

We'd have to ride out this gen for longer - Wii U support will never be great, but there's money to be made by Nintendo through all the other revenue streams they seem to be exploring at the moment. The NX system handheld will come out in the gap before the home console and hopefully gain more support from developers than the 3DS is, especially if it is simpler to port from Android/iOS.

Edited by Mr-Paul

It's really hard to know what Nintendo should do. I'm glad I'm not in the position to decide!

It really is a difficult decision. What concerns me slightly with the NX is whether or not that again will suffer from a shorter generation and Nintendo will try and go for parity with the system after it. E.g. they'll release the NX to carry on for the rest of the One/PS4 generation before launching the successor to it in line with whatever MS and Sony do after that.

I'm going to make a conscious decision and won't be going day one with it, whatever it is. I think the sweet spot may be to wait 18 months and see how things are going before spending the cash.

Really. Native 1080p for starters would be better.

Why should Nintendo's own software teams be restricted by old technology.

Wouldn't you want to start seeing Nintendo or there partners start producing games which are just not possible on previous generation hardware?

Not forgetting I don't want some Nintendo box. I want third party games and Wii U specs just ain't cutting it with third party developers.

Edited by liger05

In some way, I really do feel sorry for Nintendo. But most of their problems are brought about themselves - Its like having Messi upfront but the midfield aren't passing to him - its frustrating!

This is what saddens me.

Either Nintendo don't realize they can attract anyone to their stuff or they're just too ignorant about it....too stubborn to change. :(

For me, the next console doesn't need power. I can play multiplatform games elsewhere. I need a Nintendo console with a good first party line-up that fits my tastes and needs.

However, objectively speaking, NX needs power. Just as @King_V said:

Yeah, I also believe in Nintendo's IP - I will kill for a HD 1080 with online (man, I would be on that all night :( ) - Just so many dubious decisions with what they work on as of late and I don't understand why so many franchises are MIA.

In some way, I really do feel sorry for Nintendo. But most of their problems are brought about themselves - Its like having Messi upfront but the midfield aren't passing to him - its frustrating!

Pretty remarkable how they went from a position of great strength to the spot they aren't in right now.

The Wii U was a terrible mistake. They had the mindshare, marketshare and money to really go into the next generation with a genuine console which offered competition to the xb1/ps4. They were launching first with a year headstart at the back of the generation which lasted too long and gamers were hungry for next generation consoles.

Nintendo then released the Wii U.

Edited by liger05

Pretty remarkable how they went from a position of great strength to the spot they aren't in right now.

They Wii U was a terrible mistake. They had the mindshare, marketshare and money to really go into the next generation with a genuine console which offered competition to the xb1/ps4. They were launching first with all year headstart at the back of the generation which lasted too long and gamers were hungry for next generation consoles.

I was thinking earlier, when that business analyst (patcher?) stated that Nintendo should release a Wii HD back in 2010... I imagine the Wii U was probably that in essence (being very identical to the Wii and using the same brand) but just came too late - perhaps releasing it back then would have balanced things out?

In any case, I had faith in the Wii U - the power was enough for me, games like Pikmin 3, WW and the earlier third party showing got me excited. But if the gamepad really did ramp the price of the machine up, then that was just an unnecessary mistake.

The poor decision-making leads me to suspect the leadership team are at fault and need reviewing. The N64 and GC had a first party line-up and second-party agreements that just made so much sense.

Think about that statement for a minute please.

The SNES specs are good enough. Mario Kart wouldn't be a better game with anything better for instance.

The N64 specs are good enough. Mario Kart 64 wouldn't be a better game with anything better for instance.

The GC specs are good enough. Mario Kart Double Dash wouldn't be a better game with anything better for instance.

The Wii specs are good enough. Mario Kart Wii wouldn't be a better game with anything better for instance.

It can easily be applied to any console, and most games within a series. For the most part, I think it holds false.

Everyone is going to have their favorites, but it's easily arguable that with each leap a better game was produced, and not just graphically but in ways that effect the gameplay.

I can't and won't say that if the Wii U was more powerful MK8 would be a better game. It might have even been worse, or 100% the same. Don't know it doesn't matter, parallel universe talk. The point is just that more power always opens up more options to the developer.

A different but similar parallel would be storage space. The jump from Carts-CDs-DVDs-BluRay has allowed much larger and more detailed games than before. (Not really applicable to Mario Kart as the detail isn't why we play it)

Think about that statement for a minute please.

The SNES specs are good enough. Mario Kart wouldn't be a better game with anything better for instance.

The N64 specs are good enough. Mario Kart 64 wouldn't be a better game with anything better for instance.

The GC specs are good enough. Mario Kart Double Dash wouldn't be a better game with anything better for instance.

The Wii specs are good enough. Mario Kart Wii wouldn't be a better game with anything better for instance.

It can easily be applied to any console, and most games within a series. For the most part, I think it holds false.

Everyone is going to have their favorites, but it's easily arguable that with each leap a better game was produced, and not just graphically but in ways that effect the gameplay.

I can't and won't say that if the Wii U was more powerful MK8 would be a better game. It might have even been worse, or 100% the same. Don't know it doesn't matter, parallel universe talk. The point is just that more power always opens up more options to the developer.

A different but similar parallel would be storage space. The jump from Carts-CDs-DVDs-BluRay has allowed much larger and more detailed games than before. (Not really applicable to Mario Kart as the detail isn't why we play it)

What I was trying to say is there comes a point where increased power doesn't add anything to a game.

The Wii U was a terrible mistake. They had the mindshare, marketshare and money to really go into the next generation with a genuine console which offered competition to the xb1/ps4. They were launching first with a year headstart at the back of the generation which lasted too long and gamers were hungry for next generation consoles.

Their first HD console. And you think they would have been able to compete with PS4/XBO straight away?

What I was trying to say is there comes a point where increased power doesn't add anything to a game.

Bold statement.

I'm pretty sure many would disagree. More power means more options, more content, better and refined gameplay.

Bold statement.

I'm pretty sure many would disagree. More power means more options, more content, better and refined gameplay.

You forgot more responsibility.

You forgot more responsibility.

And I forgot more cost and other stuff.

I recognize there are certain things that need to be overcome, however, more power will add more to a game, that was Ronnie's point and I disagreed.